REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Asian History (https://www.revscene.net/forums/660186-asian-history.html)

MG1 12-25-2011 08:06 PM

Asian History

I took some Asian Studies courses at UBC and became fascinated with Chinese History. The dynasties, territorial battles, and whatnot. None of this stuff was ever covered in any HS curriculum. I'm wondering if there are any Asian History buffs out there on RS.

In HS, I was heavily involved in table top wargaming. My specialty was the Napoleonic period. I knew all the regiments at Waterloo and studied the strategies and warfare of the time period. The British line vs the French columns, forming squares to fend off calvary, various types of canon fire, Polish Lancers, Swiss Militia, French Cuirasseurs, The Scottish Black Watch, etc. Later on I got involved in micro armor (WWII). Panzer divisions, Rommel, Montgomery, North Africa, etc.

At present, I have totally immersed myself in Japanese history. In particular, the Meiji Restoration period. My hobby of building small scale models has me digging up stuff on the Imperial Japanese Navy. My latest build, the IJN Mikasa, has an incredible history.

Up until the Americans (Admiral Perry) showed up in Japanese waters, Japan was the only Asian nation not invaded, or in part, colonized by western forces. The western nations had power over everybody, and Japan was to be next.

Asians at the time were considered inferior in every way and when it came to trade, it was a one sided deal. Asians were made fun of and bullied.

more later............

This may turn out to be one of those one person threads, but what the hell. People can choose to read this stuff or not, and it's not hurting anybody. Might learn some stuff in the process............ truly "off topic".

spoon.ek9 12-25-2011 08:12 PM

I've always wanted to learn more about Chinese history but didn't know where to start. I too wish they had taught these things in highschool at some point.

In for more history :thumbsup:

Gilgamesh 12-25-2011 08:21 PM

I believe they do a small section of Chinese history in grade 8. Something about the Ming dynasty and the ones that precede it. They do a Japanese component in grade six, but it is more geared towards culture, rather than history. I enrolled in a Japanese History course at SFU, which would have been great, except it focused on social history.

SkinnyPupp 12-25-2011 08:21 PM

Yes this stuff interests me, especially Hong Kong history (from the formation of the colony all the way until the handover) British history (pretty much all of it fascinates me, kingdoms, castles, etc) and Chinese history (mostly the post dynasty era) which is why I get really mad when I see the propaganda coming out of there today in movies etc, where they completely rewrite history.

Hondaracer 12-25-2011 08:23 PM

Londons museam of national history or w/e its called is pretty amazing for a days learning of the british empire, theyve got a tonne of stuff from all the plundering they did throughout their reign, amazing stuff and 100% must do it you go to London, everything from Samurai armour to the Rosetta stone

SkinnyPupp 12-25-2011 08:30 PM

Yes I would SOOOOOOOOOO love to see that :fullofwin:

MG1 12-25-2011 08:37 PM

Hong Kong History must be absolutely fascinating.

British influence around the world.

Hondaracer, London Museum. Thanks........ if I ever get to go overseas.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b..._2A27_full.jpg

1exotic 12-25-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 7738332)
I'm wondering if there are any Asians out there on RS.

I think this site is mostly blacks and hispanic

SkinnyPupp 12-25-2011 08:41 PM

One of the more interesting Hong Kong historical figures I came across was the governor John Pope Hennessey. I had no idea that until his tenure in the 1870's, Chinese people weren't allowed to own land in Hong Kong.

He changed that, and I suppose that is the beginning of the end of chinese people being second class citizens here. (and that is literal, not figurative)

JoshuaWong 12-25-2011 08:42 PM

I took asian history in kwantlen too, it was one of the best/most interesting class i have ever taken. Would recommend people taking it.

Traditional East Asian history 1150 was the course and true to the professor's word, traditional east asia pretty much means China for the first couple thousand years, later on Japan & Korea came into relevance. It should help a lot of people understand China especially about what is going on right now regarding the rise of China and politics versus the outside world. You can begin to see why China is the oldest continuing civilization and was for most of the time in the ancient world one of the most powerful and wealthy state due to its combination of values, traditions, centripedal forces etc.

After I took it, I began to see things in a different light regarding China. You can call it pro China brainwashing or something but whatever they are doing over there for the last 5000 years, its definitely working. Think of other superpowers like USA, they've been around for less than 400 years and now they are driving themselves into the ground.

SkinnyPupp 12-25-2011 08:46 PM

Another interesting story is how Britain controlled so many important cities throughout China.. Of course Hong Kong, Kowloon, and New Territories were 'rented' from China, but that wasn't always the case with these cities.

Governor Fred Lugard offered to give back one of these cities in exchange for New Territories to become a permanent British colony. Had the chinese accepted, Hong Kong would most likely still be British controlled today, and probably forever.

Valour 12-25-2011 08:47 PM

Lol i started my asian history binge with RotTK and then Dynasty Warriors. Oh yeah and the James Clavell series of books.

StylinRed 12-25-2011 08:50 PM

took asian history as well cant remember most of it was fascinated with the design/thought process that went into the forbidden city though is actually quite remarkable

personal note my moms grandfather on her mothers side was a provincial governor or whatever for the king (and his father before him etc) in china my aunt still has his outfit and some umbrella like flag and painting that the king bestowed on him

supposedly it was insanely risky for them to keep it because of the communist party and cultural revolution but some things still survived which is really cool

MG1 12-25-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 7738374)
I think this site is mostly blacks and hispanic

We could discuss Hogan's Alley............ but that belongs in this thread.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/58774...r-history.html

1309#21 12-25-2011 09:06 PM

Started my Asian history with TVB series way back in the days :fuckyea:

Favorite one would probably be 尋秦記, a step into the past. Although some to most of the history in that show is probably wrong :P

AutozamAZ-3 12-25-2011 09:26 PM

A little bit further off topic, but chinese canadians also have an interesting history with the head tax, and construction of the railroads and all.
Posted via RS Mobile

MG1 12-25-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutozamAZ-3 (Post 7738430)
A little bit further off topic, but chinese canadians also have an interesting history with the head tax, and construction of the railroads and all.
Posted via RS Mobile

Yes, lots of history with all immigrants to our country. Chinese, South Asians, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Ukrainians, Germans, Italians, you name it..........

The immigrants who fought during both wars for Canada, yet another historical topic. Then, in the case of some Japanese Canadians, who fought in the first world war, being interned in the second world war (even decorated veterans).

LiquidTurbo 12-25-2011 10:16 PM

Wikipedia "Unit 731". Stuff I bet you didn't learn in school.

Ulic Qel-Droma 12-25-2011 10:18 PM

Asian studies was my major lol.

i couldn't remember any of the fucking chinese names and there were a lot of them.

too many x's and q's.

lol, and learning why basically all of asia hates japan... except maybe indonesia.

MG1 12-25-2011 10:38 PM

Read the wiki pages..........

Quote:

After Imperial Japan surrendered to the Allies in 1945, Douglas MacArthur became the Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers, rebuilding Japan during the Allied occupation. MacArthur secretly granted immunity to the physicians of Unit 731 in exchange for providing America, but not the other wartime allies, with their research on biological warfare.[7] American occupation authorities monitored the activities of former unit members, including reading and censoring their mail.[26] The U.S. believed that the research data was valuable. The U.S. did not want other nations, particularly the Soviet Union, to acquire data on biological weapons.[27]

MG1 12-25-2011 10:40 PM

Chinese short stories, one of the Asian Studies courses at the time, was cool. The role of women in Chinese culture and history was also a favourite one.

achiam 12-25-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 7738354)
Londons museam of national history or w/e its called is pretty amazing for a days learning of the british empire, theyve got a tonne of stuff from all the plundering they did throughout their reign, amazing stuff and 100% must do it you go to London, everything from Samurai armour to the Rosetta stone

OMG. I was just there 2 weeks ago. I spent nearly 3 hours just in the persian art section -- they showed how persian ceramic art varied with time due to arab invaders, and even chinese/mongol invaders. Looking at how the art patterns changed was a direct reflection of their history!

Domani 12-25-2011 10:52 PM

Asian Studies Major (east asia focus) here...

MG1 12-25-2011 10:54 PM

Awesome! I have tonnes of questions to ask you and Ulic about Meiji Restoration............ later. Gotta get sleep some.

keifun 12-25-2011 11:13 PM

Didn't learn any Asian history in high school. It was all boring Canadian history for me during Social Studies class.