REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Asian History

I took some Asian Studies courses at UBC and became fascinated with Chinese History. The dynasties, territorial battles, and whatnot. None of this stuff was ever covered in any HS curriculum. I'm wondering if there are any Asian History buffs out there on RS.

In HS, I was heavily involved in table top wargaming. My specialty was the Napoleonic period. I knew all the regiments at Waterloo and studied the strategies and warfare of the time period. The British line vs the French columns, forming squares to fend off calvary, various types of canon fire, Polish Lancers, Swiss Militia, French Cuirasseurs, The Scottish Black Watch, etc. Later on I got involved in micro armor (WWII). Panzer divisions, Rommel, Montgomery, North Africa, etc.

At present, I have totally immersed myself in Japanese history. In particular, the Meiji Restoration period. My hobby of building small scale models has me digging up stuff on the Imperial Japanese Navy. My latest build, the IJN Mikasa, has an incredible history.

Up until the Americans (Admiral Perry) showed up in Japanese waters, Japan was the only Asian nation not invaded, or in part, colonized by western forces. The western nations had power over everybody, and Japan was to be next.

Asians at the time were considered inferior in every way and when it came to trade, it was a one sided deal. Asians were made fun of and bullied.

more later............

This may turn out to be one of those one person threads, but what the hell. People can choose to read this stuff or not, and it's not hurting anybody. Might learn some stuff in the process............ truly "off topic".
Advertisement
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
I've always wanted to learn more about Chinese history but didn't know where to start. I too wish they had taught these things in highschool at some point.

In for more history
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I believe they do a small section of Chinese history in grade 8. Something about the Ming dynasty and the ones that precede it. They do a Japanese component in grade six, but it is more geared towards culture, rather than history. I enrolled in a Japanese History course at SFU, which would have been great, except it focused on social history.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Yes this stuff interests me, especially Hong Kong history (from the formation of the colony all the way until the handover) British history (pretty much all of it fascinates me, kingdoms, castles, etc) and Chinese history (mostly the post dynasty era) which is why I get really mad when I see the propaganda coming out of there today in movies etc, where they completely rewrite history.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,329 Times in 5,645 Posts
Londons museam of national history or w/e its called is pretty amazing for a days learning of the british empire, theyve got a tonne of stuff from all the plundering they did throughout their reign, amazing stuff and 100% must do it you go to London, everything from Samurai armour to the Rosetta stone
Old 12-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #6

Yes I would SOOOOOOOOOO love to see that
Old 12-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
MG1

Hong Kong History must be absolutely fascinating.

British influence around the world.

Hondaracer, London Museum. Thanks........ if I ever get to go overseas.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I'm wondering if there are any Asians out there on RS.
I think this site is mostly blacks and hispanic
Old 12-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #9

One of the more interesting Hong Kong historical figures I came across was the governor John Pope Hennessey. I had no idea that until his tenure in the 1870's, Chinese people weren't allowed to own land in Hong Kong.

He changed that, and I suppose that is the beginning of the end of chinese people being second class citizens here. (and that is literal, not figurative)
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
I took asian history in kwantlen too, it was one of the best/most interesting class i have ever taken. Would recommend people taking it.

Traditional East Asian history 1150 was the course and true to the professor's word, traditional east asia pretty much means China for the first couple thousand years, later on Japan & Korea came into relevance. It should help a lot of people understand China especially about what is going on right now regarding the rise of China and politics versus the outside world. You can begin to see why China is the oldest continuing civilization and was for most of the time in the ancient world one of the most powerful and wealthy state due to its combination of values, traditions, centripedal forces etc.

After I took it, I began to see things in a different light regarding China. You can call it pro China brainwashing or something but whatever they are doing over there for the last 5000 years, its definitely working. Think of other superpowers like USA, they've been around for less than 400 years and now they are driving themselves into the ground.

Last edited by JoshuaWong; 12-25-2011 at 08:50 PM.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #11

Another interesting story is how Britain controlled so many important cities throughout China.. Of course Hong Kong, Kowloon, and New Territories were 'rented' from China, but that wasn't always the case with these cities.

Governor Fred Lugard offered to give back one of these cities in exchange for New Territories to become a permanent British colony. Had the chinese accepted, Hong Kong would most likely still be British controlled today, and probably forever.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Lol i started my asian history binge with RotTK and then Dynasty Warriors. Oh yeah and the James Clavell series of books.

7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
took asian history as well cant remember most of it was fascinated with the design/thought process that went into the forbidden city though is actually quite remarkable

personal note my moms grandfather on her mothers side was a provincial governor or whatever for the king (and his father before him etc) in china my aunt still has his outfit and some umbrella like flag and painting that the king bestowed on him

supposedly it was insanely risky for them to keep it because of the communist party and cultural revolution but some things still survived which is really cool
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
I think this site is mostly blacks and hispanic
We could discuss Hogan's Alley............ but that belongs in this thread.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/58774...r-history.html
Old 12-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

Started my Asian history with TVB series way back in the days

Favorite one would probably be 尋秦記, a step into the past. Although some to most of the history in that show is probably wrong :P
1309#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help

A little bit further off topic, but chinese canadians also have an interesting history with the head tax, and construction of the railroads and all.
Posted via RS Mobile
AutozamAZ-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutozamAZ-3 View Post
A little bit further off topic, but chinese canadians also have an interesting history with the head tax, and construction of the railroads and all.
Posted via RS Mobile
Yes, lots of history with all immigrants to our country. Chinese, South Asians, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Ukrainians, Germans, Italians, you name it..........

The immigrants who fought during both wars for Canada, yet another historical topic. Then, in the case of some Japanese Canadians, who fought in the first world war, being interned in the second world war (even decorated veterans).
Old 12-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Wikipedia "Unit 731". Stuff I bet you didn't learn in school.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #19
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Asian studies was my major lol.

i couldn't remember any of the fucking chinese names and there were a lot of them.

too many x's and q's.

lol, and learning why basically all of asia hates japan... except maybe indonesia.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #20
MG1

Read the wiki pages..........

Quote:
After Imperial Japan surrendered to the Allies in 1945, Douglas MacArthur became the Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers, rebuilding Japan during the Allied occupation. MacArthur secretly granted immunity to the physicians of Unit 731 in exchange for providing America, but not the other wartime allies, with their research on biological warfare.[7] American occupation authorities monitored the activities of former unit members, including reading and censoring their mail.[26] The U.S. believed that the research data was valuable. The U.S. did not want other nations, particularly the Soviet Union, to acquire data on biological weapons.[27]
Old 12-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #21
MG1

Chinese short stories, one of the Asian Studies courses at the time, was cool. The role of women in Chinese culture and history was also a favourite one.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #22
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Londons museam of national history or w/e its called is pretty amazing for a days learning of the british empire, theyve got a tonne of stuff from all the plundering they did throughout their reign, amazing stuff and 100% must do it you go to London, everything from Samurai armour to the Rosetta stone
OMG. I was just there 2 weeks ago. I spent nearly 3 hours just in the persian art section -- they showed how persian ceramic art varied with time due to arab invaders, and even chinese/mongol invaders. Looking at how the art patterns changed was a direct reflection of their history!
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #23

Asian Studies Major (east asia focus) here...
Old 12-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #24
MG1

Awesome! I have tonnes of questions to ask you and Ulic about Meiji Restoration............ later. Gotta get sleep some.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Didn't learn any Asian history in high school. It was all boring Canadian history for me during Social Studies class.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote