REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Albion Ferries have sold (https://www.revscene.net/forums/660452-albion-ferries-have-sold.html)

dinosaur 12-30-2011 04:20 PM

Albion Ferries have sold

....But for less than half of what they were asking. ouch.

Global BC | Albion ferries sold to B.C. company for fraction of asking price

I wonder if it would have been worth it to keep them and use them for something else? For what? I have no idea.

I guess its better than the bath the province took for the fast-cat ferries.

MindBomber 12-30-2011 04:24 PM

I miss the ferries..

MG1 12-30-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7743842)
I miss the ferries..

You can always take the Barnston Island Ferry.

Now that is a cool ride. A ferry that is pulled by cables to and fro.

For those who are old school BCSR members, Barnston Island is an inside joke.

murd0c 12-30-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 7744123)

I used to always go over there and smoke joints on the beach through a little 4x4 trail. Lots of good times over there.

NLY 12-30-2011 08:40 PM

B.C. bringith the lowerballerith :troll:

StylinRed 12-30-2011 08:47 PM

they should have kept the ferry running if not for cars then for pedestrians

so many people used to go over to fort langely cyclists, walkers, joggers, cars (me included) and now all that traffic is gone i bet its killed business for those shops

in fact they showed the area on the news other day about how they were thinking up ways to attract business so i guess that confirms the above statement

Gridlock 12-30-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7744143)
they should have kept the ferry running if not for cars then for pedestrians

so many people used to go over to fort langely cyclists, walkers, joggers, cars (me included) and now all that traffic is gone i bet its killed business for those shops

in fact they showed the area on the news other day about how they were thinking up ways to attract business so i guess that confirms the above statement

Be interesting to see the changes. I used to work in a cafe in fort langley for about 2 years before I moved into the city. It's absolutely true, the rails would be full of bikes during the summer.

The large housing development would help, but not the same. People leaving their homes aren`t going to get out of their cars after 5 minutes for a sandwich, and aren`t going to get out of their cars 5 minutes from home for one either.

dinosaur 12-30-2011 09:00 PM

^ yeah, that would have been a great idea!

Soundy 12-30-2011 09:18 PM

Fort Langley is still a pretty busy destination - we go over there now and then to walk the dykes, hit the shops, or just hang out at the sidewalk coffee shops... finding parking is a bitch on any weekend and many evenings too. I don't doubt that the lack of ferries hurt them, at least at first, but I don't think it's THAT bad. Consider most of the ferry traffic was commuters who were probably in a rush to get to work or home and wouldn't have stopped for shopping anyway.

I was surprised the Kingfisher (the nice pub on the Albion side) is doing so well - we've been there a couple times since the ferries shut down and it's still packed most nights. Then again, they have great food and took advantage of the couple years they did have with the ferry there to build a name.

Anyway, the good news is that guy who bought the boats is local and paid well over scrap value for them, because he WANTS to find a use for them.

murd0c 12-30-2011 09:20 PM

I remember one time coming back from Ridge I took the ferry and smoked 5 joints on the way over. WOW I was fucked lol

Hondaracer 12-30-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 7744123)

barnston isnt pulled by cables, and all the time ive lived pretty close by i cant remember a time when it was?

Soundy 12-30-2011 10:05 PM

Barnston ferry has been a barge and tug for as long as I can recall...

Inland Ferry Schedules

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/marine/images/Barnstonisle.jpg

Edit: BTW, most cable ferries on rivers aren't pulled by cables, but are reaction ferries - they run along cables but are driven by the river current.

murd0c 12-30-2011 10:05 PM

^ nope its a tug boat thats attached to a dock thingy. It's impossible for it to be pulled by cables going across a busy passage like the fraser river

RRxtar 12-30-2011 10:22 PM

the Needles Ferry at Lower Arrow Lake is a cable ferry.

I don't know why I posted this

MG1 12-30-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7744221)
^ nope its a tug boat thats attached to a dock thingy. It's impossible for it to be pulled by cables going across a busy passage like the fraser river

It doesn't technically go across the whole river, LOL. I've been across a couple of times. Maybe I was smoking a dozen joints or something and saw a cable pulling it..... hee hee.

RRxtar 12-30-2011 10:38 PM

that brings up a good question. how the fuck do cable ferries work? does the cable have enough slack in it that it droops deep enough in the water for boats to cross?

murd0c 12-30-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 7744254)
that brings up a good question. how the fuck do cable ferries work? does the cable have enough slack in it that it droops deep enough in the water for boats to cross?

If you have have been to the ski hills and they have a rope pull for the little kids kinda that way.

RRxtar 12-30-2011 11:05 PM

i dont drive a white van full of puppies so i dont usually hang out near the little kids rope pull at the ski hill.

Spoiler!

murd0c 12-30-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 7744280)
i dont drive a white van full of puppies so i dont usually hang out near the little kids rope pull at the ski hill.

Spoiler!

if you ever wanna learn let me know :fullofwin:

MG1 12-30-2011 11:30 PM

Damn, I laughed so hard I pissed myself................

RRxtar 12-30-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 7744300)
Damn, I laughed so hard I pissed myself................

at least you know your prostate is good

MG1 12-30-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 7744302)
at least you know your prostate is good

yup, the doctor put his anal probe into me (as in his finger). I asked him afterwards if he had a cigarette. "Was it good for you, too?"

He totally cracked up......... patients waiting outside were like, WTF?

What were we talking about again?

ferries........... right

dinosaur 12-30-2011 11:45 PM

Well, this went in a different direction... :D
Posted via RS Mobile

MG1 12-30-2011 11:51 PM

Well, for you young guys out there. When you reach 40, you get to look forward to prostrate check ups. The fastest way to check it is to have doc put his finger up uranus (where the sun only shines when the other planets aren't blocking it).

One word of advice (I learned this trick after a few not so pleasant encounters of the third kind), lie down on your side in a fetal position. It hurts a lot less this way. Any girls out there confirm this? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

murd0c 12-31-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 7744325)
Well, for you young guys out there. When you reach 40, you get to look forward to prostrate check ups. The fastest way to check it is to have doc put his finger up uranus (where the sun only shines when the other planets aren't blocking it).

One word of advice (I learned this trick after a few not so pleasant encounters of the third kind), lie down on your side in a fetal position. It hurts a lot less this way. Any girls out there confirm this? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

how many times a week do you go to make sure everything is ok? :troll: