REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Quitting Smoking (https://www.revscene.net/forums/660524-quitting-smoking.html)

Zedbra 07-14-2013 04:30 PM

^ good job. My quit date was May 30th, and I don't miss it. Though I must admit, I did smoke my pipe while camping. Had only one bowl and my throat was soar the next day.

BaoTurbo 07-14-2013 05:26 PM

Even if you smoke and you tried quitting but failed, that's a long shot from not even trying at all.

fd3 07-14-2013 05:34 PM

I don't want to be a quitter.
Posted via RS Mobile

finbar 07-14-2013 08:58 PM

I'm a quitter, I quit several times.
Even quit quitting but eventually quit so well I could quit quitting without resuming.
Don't give up on quitting, you can do this.
Seriously.

NKC ONE 07-30-2013 02:01 AM

I've quit a dozen times during my 14 years of smoking lol. My most successful run lasted 6 months. We all know its harmful but I decided that if I couldn't enjoy a good cigarette while having a cold beer on a summer day on a golf course then there probably isn't too much to live for.

I limit myself to maybe 3 a day and can go without smoking for 2-3days if needed. Trying to train myself to be a casual smoker (just during drinking and sparking). But baby is due soon so I most likely will cut down even more. I don't want my boy to be exposed to the smell/third hand smoke.

For you serious quitters out there, its really not that hard. 3 days is a good threshold and you don't need other things to help. Just separate yourself from smokers for the first month and test yourself by hanging out with smokers for the remaining 2-3 months. You're stronger than you think. If you're really set on quitting then don't even attempt to take a single puff. One puff is all it takes to remember everything good that came with smoking. If you just want to cut down, then don't smoke when you usually smoke ie, after meals, during drinking, during work breaks and just smoke when you don't need to. I find just smoking 2-3 a day keeps me at a good equilibrium now.

Side note, you will gain weight so exercise more. Food just taste better. Good luck.

dinosaur 07-30-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NKC ONE (Post 8291667)

For you serious quitters out there, its really not that hard. 3 days is a good threshold and you don't need other things to help.

Awfully judgey for non-quitting social smoker.

Just sayin'....

TOPEC 07-31-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

I've quit a dozen times during my 14 years of smoking lol. My most successful run lasted 6 months. We all know its harmful but I decided that if I couldn't enjoy a good cigarette while having a cold beer on a summer day on a golf course then there probably isn't too much to live for.

I limit myself to maybe 3 a day and can go without smoking for 2-3days if needed. Trying to train myself to be a casual smoker (just during drinking and sparking). But baby is due soon so I most likely will cut down even more. I don't want my boy to be exposed to the smell/third hand smoke.

For you serious quitters out there, its really not that hard. 3 days is a good threshold and you don't need other things to help. Just separate yourself from smokers for the first month and test yourself by hanging out with smokers for the remaining 2-3 months. You're stronger than you think. If you're really set on quitting then don't even attempt to take a single puff. One puff is all it takes to remember everything good that came with smoking. If you just want to cut down, then don't smoke when you usually smoke ie, after meals, during drinking, during work breaks and just smoke when you don't need to. I find just smoking 2-3 a day keeps me at a good equilibrium now.

Side note, you will gain weight so exercise more. Food just taste better. Good luck.

if u can go 2-3 days with out smoking and only smoke 3 a day, y the fuck do u even bother smoking? too look n act cool? r u even addicted or know what its like to be addicted? cus going 2-3 days without smoking sure doesnt sound like ur addicted to me...

NKC ONE 07-31-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPEC (Post 8292320)
if u can go 2-3 days with out smoking and only smoke 3 a day, y the fuck do u even bother smoking? too look n act cool? r u even addicted or know what its like to be addicted? cus going 2-3 days without smoking sure doesnt sound like ur addicted to me...

lol serious? I'm trying to offer my opinion about quiting and all you do is fail me and try to insult me? To look and act cool was your best assumption? As I said I've been smoking for 14 years, how young do you think I am to still feel the need to "look and act cool" with a cigarette? I smoke alone most of the time, how would anyone even see and feel that I was "being cool"? Why u so mad bro, you nickin out?

Quantity has ranged from 10-15 smokes/day for over 14 years on average before and I've managed to quit for a clean 6 months until I decided that I would smoke again but control the quantity to a minimum. This streak of smoking 2-3/day has lasted for about 18 months now. I think I'm well qualified to at least give my opinion on this matter. Was I addicted before? Hell yes and wouldn't even be able to go without a smoke for more than 2 hours and would chain smoke under stress or while drinking. I cannot say that I am as addicted anymore as I was before and hence have managed to cut down to about 2-3/day just because I enjoy it. It's just like having a whisky or a beer to me. I don't need one, I just enjoy one from time to time.

I'll say it again, quitting isn't hard if you really want to quit. If you don't then no amount of motivation or drugs will help you quit. I know a lot of you on here are trying hard to quit and feel like shit. I've been thru it for 6 months and everything associated with smoking just began to suck. You become extremely agitated and question your motives every minute that you are nicking out. If you're new to quitting, try 3 days without even a puff and see how that feels, for me it was the hardest. That is why I continue to go on and off just to make sure that I don't fall back hard into smoking again. The next stage for me was 10 days, then 30, then after 3 months, I was 100% sure that I didn't need it anymore. Cold turkey. You can blame this or that but the fact is, it's all in your head and you can force it out if you keep believing that you do not NEED to smoke.

I'm spending my time to write this so I could offer my assistance to those who truly want to quit. Yes you can say i'm a hypocrite because I still smoke, I don't mind because the biggest difference is, I chose to smoke this time and not like 14 years ago when I was young and adventurous. I have a baby son due in less than 2 months and for me, this is more than enough motivation to quit anything. If my opinions are not appreciated then i'll just keep out. I just didn't think I was gonna get failed for genuinely offering help and being honest. But anyways, good luck and hang in there.

Zedbra 07-31-2013 08:15 AM

They say having to have a drink, even one, makes you an alcoholic. Therefore, having (or choosing as you call it) to smoke three times per day is no different. You still are choosing to be an addict; which in my eyes is not quitting. I had a boss that only smoked three times per day, all at the end of the work day, too.

Just my two cents.

NKC ONE 07-31-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedbra (Post 8292402)
They say having to have a drink, even one, makes you an alcoholic. Therefore, having (or choosing as you call it) to smoke three times per day is no different. You still are choosing to be an addict; which in my eyes is not quitting. I had a boss that only smoked three times per day, all at the end of the work day, too.

Just my two cents.

I can't disagree with you. I never stated that i'm not addicted. I said I was less addicted and to a point that some people here would even question my addictiveness. I'm also not saying that I've quit because I obviously haven't and at this point have no intention to.

But having a drink, even one, makes you an alcoholic? Sorry bro, that's pushing it.

Energy 07-31-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NKC ONE (Post 8292439)
I can't disagree with you. I never stated that i'm not addicted. I said I was less addicted and to a point that some people here would even question my addictiveness. I'm also not saying that I've quit because I obviously haven't and at this point have no intention to.

But having a drink, even one, makes you an alcoholic? Sorry bro, that's pushing it.

If you can't stop yourself from having even one smoke then you are an addict. Its a difference of degrees.

Purely 07-31-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NKC ONE (Post 8292328)
lol serious? I'm trying to offer my opinion about quiting and all you do is fail me and try to insult me? To look and act cool was your best assumption? As I said I've been smoking for 14 years, how young do you think I am to still feel the need to "look and act cool" with a cigarette? I smoke alone most of the time, how would anyone even see and feel that I was "being cool"? Why u so mad bro, you nickin out?

Quantity has ranged from 10-15 smokes/day for over 14 years on average before and I've managed to quit for a clean 6 months until I decided that I would smoke again but control the quantity to a minimum. This streak of smoking 2-3/day has lasted for about 18 months now. I think I'm well qualified to at least give my opinion on this matter. Was I addicted before? Hell yes and wouldn't even be able to go without a smoke for more than 2 hours and would chain smoke under stress or while drinking. I cannot say that I am as addicted anymore as I was before and hence have managed to cut down to about 2-3/day just because I enjoy it. It's just like having a whisky or a beer to me. I don't need one, I just enjoy one from time to time.

I'll say it again, quitting isn't hard if you really want to quit. If you don't then no amount of motivation or drugs will help you quit. I know a lot of you on here are trying hard to quit and feel like shit. I've been thru it for 6 months and everything associated with smoking just began to suck. You become extremely agitated and question your motives every minute that you are nicking out. If you're new to quitting, try 3 days without even a puff and see how that feels, for me it was the hardest. That is why I continue to go on and off just to make sure that I don't fall back hard into smoking again. The next stage for me was 10 days, then 30, then after 3 months, I was 100% sure that I didn't need it anymore. Cold turkey. You can blame this or that but the fact is, it's all in your head and you can force it out if you keep believing that you do not NEED to smoke.

I'm spending my time to write this so I could offer my assistance to those who truly want to quit. Yes you can say i'm a hypocrite because I still smoke, I don't mind because the biggest difference is, I chose to smoke this time and not like 14 years ago when I was young and adventurous. I have a baby son due in less than 2 months and for me, this is more than enough motivation to quit anything. If my opinions are not appreciated then i'll just keep out. I just didn't think I was gonna get failed for genuinely offering help and being honest. But anyways, good luck and hang in there.

I don't smoke, so I cannot relate how difficult it is to quit. NKC ONE, I believe you do have good intentions, and are genuinely offering help.

The problem is, you contradict yourself by saying its really not that hard to quit, and no amount of drugs will help you quit, you can blame this, you can blame that, etc etc. Yet, at the same time with a baby due soon, you allow yourself to have smoke 1-3/day, and justify how you must have a smoke while having a cold beer at the golf course. You are using this as an excuse/blame to smoke, and you mention how you "don't need it", but simply to "enjoy" it as another excuse to smoke.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but I think that's the general impression RSer's got from reading your previous posts, and that's why your getting failed on.

Ulic Qel-Droma 08-03-2013 05:22 AM

I was never a smoker, but I'll have on average 1-5 smokes a month. it's always social.

I used to never smoke, but once that door was opened... I duno, it just won't seem to close. I don't have a problem with it, I don't smoke alone. I don't buy smokes.

but if i'm at a club or bar, and I'm offered one... I'll sometimes say yes.

in the back of my mind I know i should just never ever accept another cigarette. but... I can't always say no. although i do say no more often than yes.

I think for any smoker, if they can cut it down to this level, it's okay... but it would be so easy to slip back to full time smoking.

I'd say if one identifies themselves as a smoker, and they are trying to quit smoking... if they achieve this, they should be able to quit coffee and just about every other addiction as well.

I for one, don't drink coffee... I have about 5 cups a year if even. usually because it's offered and i'm bored. But I can see how they kinda go hand in hand.
kinda like how other sitmulants or booze + smokes go together. it's kinda just like a mindset of routine. you gotta break those patterns of routine... some can do it through sheer will power. other ppl need assistance or true logical reasons that that have been self realised/actualized... some people need fear.

I think if you have any other addictions in your life, you should look deeper into why arent you quitting those either (coffee, food, biting your nails or whatever). I bet the same excuses/reasons come up.

if you can't quit those other things... it would be hard to see why you would quit cigarettes too.

i've read other people doing crazy things like... neuro-conditioning lol. chain smoke yourself till you puke. till it's so gross and the feeling associated to the smell of cigarettes is so negative that you don't even fucking want another cigarette. I know it's kinda stupid. but it's like people freaking out on drugs. once u experience the fear, the negativity, something changes in the brain and it just becomes easier to repel it. to ignore the cravings or deny offerings.

i know tons of people that have freaked out on weed, or used too much of some other drug and felt really uncomfortable, and they have since cut down tremendously or completely quit. i don't see why cigarettes would be any different.

I used to smoke cigars sometimes and one time i just had too much and fucking puked. I haven't had a cigar since then. lol. it was just easy to quit after something bad has happened.

dlo 08-03-2013 05:37 PM

e smoke actually help a lot lol, i gave one to my friend and told him it contains nicotine (i lied), guy was hitting it so much and he slowly got out of it.. i was just lucky that i dont have such an addictive personality, i can stop smoking anytime i want really, only smoke when im fkin drunk af or high af and need something to calm me down ahah

BaoTurbo 08-04-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energy (Post 8292468)
If you can't stop yourself from having even one smoke then you are an addict. Its a difference of degrees.

Agreed. I would call myself an addict since I would actually have one when I need one (like let's say at work). Then again I only have about 4 a day and sometimes I skip a day without smoking. So then again, it's not like I need it everyday and constantly, but then I'm also not a casual smoker since its almost 3 or 4. Then I'm an addict and not one? I have always thought if I'm an addict or not, and pondering on this for myself was pretty much useless because there is just so many "degrees" and "factors" affecting the label of addict yet the result for me shows that I'm a smoker, but not that frequent, yet not that needy, and I don't smoke as much in a day.

Everyone has a different definition of addiction. For me, I would label addiction as smoking half a pack a day. That's a red flag for addiction for me.

RESN 11-06-2013 09:50 AM

Day 3 without having a smoke and im getting alot of phlegm and having to constantly clear my throat. Only time I really craved these past few days was when my friends were smoking and it made me really consider "should I have one?" Otherwise, I haven't bought a pack in about a month and have been bumming 1 or 2 a day.

MaaaadMan 11-06-2013 06:00 PM

3 Months without a single cigarette. My breathing feels so much better..no more occasional light chest pains :)

dinosaur 11-06-2013 06:30 PM

Currently watching Sons of Anarchy....my throat is aching for a cigarette...won't do it though but god damnit, it is hard some times. Day 176 :fullofwin:

Gululu 11-06-2013 07:53 PM

anyone here likes premium chinese brand cigarettes? so smooth :ahwow:

pinn3r 11-06-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gululu (Post 8355979)

ive had double happiness so fuckin gross lol

HansonBoy 11-07-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gululu (Post 8355979)

Used to love authentic zhonghua's.

dat_steve 11-15-2013 09:02 AM

Edit:nvm found it!

Stormspirit 11-20-2013 07:39 PM

Been smoking for around 5 years. I would say 3-7 smokes a day.

I have stopped smoking alone in my own time now for ard 3 weeks.

I only smoke when I chill with friends who smoke as well. Its kinda those connection things, if i dont smoke with him, seems like theres less to talk about. But yea quitting is good !

RESN 12-12-2013 06:04 PM

DAY 38!

rsx 12-12-2013 11:15 PM

relapsed after 35 some days. Instead of 1 pack a day, I'm averaging 4-5. Weekends are a bit harder. But slowly cutting down.

Everytime there's a craving, I'll try to do pushups. It'll make me tired, keep my mind of it and maybe give it some negative reinforcement.