REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #51
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
btw - there's an extremely cute Japanese girl that works there. True story.
no pic=never happened
Advertisement
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #52
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Accepting cash only also makes it easier to launder money too does it not? It's no secret some places in Richmond do it.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #53
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
chinese doing business with another chinese, didnt expect any less
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #54
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
If i was the manager i would of attempted to get a handjob out of it. Or atleast a titty flash
Posted via RS Mobile
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #55
DUHHH HELLLLLLLLLO

A month back I went to a company dinner @ The Red Robinson Dinner. I had already decided not to drive due to some drinks etc.

At the end of the night we got a cab and prepared to head back to Richmond(home). Throughout the whole trip the Indian taxi driver was asking me if I pay cash, and I told him I probably won't have enough so I am paying card, because he saves 5% on taxes.
when we arrived home I handed him my card as I was about 20 bucks short on cash. He typed it in and said declined.
I asked him to try again please, he told me I already typed it in it is not working ( in a pretty fishy voice like he was hiding something ).
Embarrassed as it was already that no one else in the cab had cash, we called a friend who was close by to help us out.
After everything was settle, I kept wondering why my card was declined, I checked online right away, only to find out there were no hold or overdue fees on my card.

That cheapass Indian taxi driver purposely typed in my credit card information wrong so he could receive cash instead of paying that 5% tax. I don't know how I didn't think of that earlier, but he made us go through the trouble of calling a nearby friend......

For Sale
BMW Multimedia cord for iDrive
GDchoi's Closet Cleanout
GDChoi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #56
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
there's been once or twice where I've forgotten to take out cash and got dinged at the ATM at TD. Boo friggin hoo.
i think we've all been in that situation once or twice. better than embarrassing yourself in public by not paying for something you owe. especially a grown ass man...short on $1 and pulling that BS

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #57
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdub333 View Post
A month back I went to a company dinner @ The Red Robinson Dinner. I had already decided not to drive due to some drinks etc.

i've had taxi drivers take less cash than the meter cause i don't have enuff cash on me..and they dont wanna take card.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #58
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
i've had taxi drivers take less cash than the meter cause i don't have enuff cash on me..and they dont wanna take card.
Same thing happened to me too. The guy kept asking how i was paying and asked me to show him the cash before he started driving.
Posted via RS Mobile
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #59
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
If i was the manager i would of attempted to get a handjob out of it. Or atleast a titty flash
Posted via RS Mobile
If it's the typical Honger or Big 6 chicks you see in Richmond then might be better just to lose out on the $1 and tip.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #60
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
chinese doing business with another chinese, didnt expect any less
They are Japanese owners
Posted via RS Mobile
butter_sashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #61
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter_sashimi View Post
They are Japanese owners
Posted via RS Mobile
Contrary to popular belief, the actual owner is Chinese. He just hires Japanese managers from Japan to take care of the restaurants.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #62
Get Money, Get Paid

Thanked 1,264 Times in 262 Posts
Its obvious these places take cash only because they want to hide taxes from the government.
Volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #63
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
Just had dinner at Gyo-O in Richmond with the wife. First off, there is a big sign in the front saying "cash only". Table next to us is a young chinese couple. When they ask for the bill, they ask if they can split the bill half cash, half debit. The waiter kindly points out the sign saying "cash only". They say they don't have enough cash, so the waiter points out there is a TD just around the corner. The girl then tells the waiter she doesn't want to get dinged using the ATM... .

So they start counting out all their coins, and after emptying out their pockets, they're still short $1 of the total bill (not even including tips of course). The guy then goes up to the manager and says "I'm really sorry, but this all the money we have. Is it okay if we're only short a dollar?" Of course the manager says no, and again points out that there is a TD right around the corner, and again they say they don't want to get dinged on the ATM fee, to which the manager pretty much told him she didn't really care if he got dinged or not.

The guy goes back to his gf and mumbles how embarassing this is and they might have to stay to wash the dishes. So then the gf goes up to the manager and starts pleading with her saying "it's only a dollar, can't you just let us go?". I'm about to just give them $5 to spare the poor manager, when the manager finally just tells them to just go. I didn't realize such cheapasses existed...

Wow. All that BS just because they didn't want to pay ATM fee. How about checking your wallet first or not going out on a date if you don't have the cash. Oh, and stiffing the staff out of a tip too.
straight up nasty right right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
Thats because you end up getting creepy pie like mine that makes you not want to eat it hha ...thats why its cheap ...
civicyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #64
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Holy shit, I thought it was bad enough that the guy didn't even attempt to save himself the embarrassment of being a broke-ass in front of his GF. Yeah, sure, I split the bill with my GF all the time (and we keep it pretty even on who pays) but goddamn, couldn't just walk to the bank and take care of it like a man? WTF?

Sure, it's bad that the restaurant lost $1 but fuck, the waiter probably lost $3-$7 on tip and he's just a working schmuck. OP, if the service was good and you felt generous, you could've given the server a few extra bucks and said, "Just cause you got stiffed." I'm sure if he served you next time, it'd be worth it.

IMO it has nothing to do with being poor. Don't have money? Don't go out. Simple.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #65
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Holy shit, I thought it was bad enough that the guy didn't even attempt to save himself the embarrassment of being a broke-ass in front of his GF. Yeah, sure, I split the bill with my GF all the time (and we keep it pretty even on who pays) but goddamn, couldn't just walk to the bank and take care of it like a man? WTF?

Sure, it's bad that the restaurant lost $1 but fuck, the waiter probably lost $3-$7 on tip and he's just a working schmuck. OP, if the service was good and you felt generous, you could've given the server a few extra bucks and said, "Just cause you got stiffed." I'm sure if he served you next time, it'd be worth it.

IMO it has nothing to do with being poor. Don't have money? Don't go out. Simple.
Exactly. And this didn't happen at a budget eatery and it wasn't a I forgot my wallet moment. They had access to the money but just chose not to pay atm fee.
straight up nasty right right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
Thats because you end up getting creepy pie like mine that makes you not want to eat it hha ...thats why its cheap ...
civicyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #66
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

this thread would be super win if this kid was on revscene reading this right now.
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #67
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
These cash only places really annoy me. I can understand if it's a small family run business, but there are many larger restaurants that operate this way too. There is big irish pub dt (maybe ceilis or something), they don't accept debit even for dinner service, but instead force you to use their in-store ATM that charges a $3.00 service fee

I usually don't carry cash because I hate getting a bunch of change back every time I make a purchase. If I'm short at a restaurant and have to go to an ATM, you better believe that fee (and maybe more for my time) is coming out of the tip, and I probably won't return a second time.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #68
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Most likely they are taking cash not only to be cheap, yet to be tax frauds. Restaurants are notorious for being tax frauds as they can hide a lot of cash transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
hmm speaking of cheapasses... how about these restaurants trying to get out of paying taxes to the govt... that should be the topic of this thread, not a couple on a night out even though they're scraping by
yep they hide behind the belief that interac fees are too high and people believe it -_-

Quote:
Merchant Fees

As a not-for-profit organization, Interac Association does not directly charge fees to customers and merchants. The Interac Association members who offer Interac services to merchants may charge fees for the use of the service. Fees vary from merchant to merchant depending on individual contracts. According to a recent Bank of Canada study, on average, merchants pay 12 cents for every debit card transaction. Additional information regarding merchant acceptance and costs can be found directly in the study at Bank of Canada - Banque du Canada
Interac

As the page says though it depends on the contract/acquirer if you're a restaurant and you go through TD Bank an interact transaction is only $0.075 -_-
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...estaurants.jsp
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #69
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
There is a sign that says Cash Only. I've personally dined there multiple times - and there's been once or twice where I've forgotten to take out cash and got dinged at the ATM at TD. Boo friggin hoo.

The debit fee is actually more than a Credit Card fee - but with Credit Cards - you have the risk of chargebacks, which will amount to a lot more than debit fees each month.

btw - there's an extremely cute Japanese girl that works there. True story.
The debit fee is a flat fee as low as 6 cent the credit card fee it a %.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #70
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=54+Prideaux+Street+Nanaimo,+BC+V9R&hl=en&ll=49.170032,-123.945351&spn=0.058923,0.169086&sll=49.170192,-123.945432&layer=c&cbp=13,73.8,,0,-9.22&cbll=49.169746,-123.945355&hnear=54+Prideaux+St,+Nanaimo,+British+Columbia+V9R+2M6,+Canada&t=m&z=13&vpsrc=0&panoid=wYqUEqk32E85y84LJwF5fA
Take a look at the garage in the picture. They turned the garage into a take out place and they except credit and debit cards. It a small place like that can do it there should be no excesses for any restaurant not to take credit or debit cards unless they are trying to scam the government.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #71
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=54+Prideaux+Street+Nanaimo,+BC+V9R&amp;laye r=c&amp;sll=49.170192,-123.945432&amp;cbp=13,73.8,,0,-9.22&amp;cbll=49.169746,-123.945355&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear =54+Prideaux+St,+Nanaimo,+British+Columbia+V9R+2M6 ,+Canada&amp;ll=49.170192,-123.945432&amp;spn=0.058923,0.169086&amp;t=m&amp;z =13&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;panoid=wYqUEqk32E85y84LJwF5fA& amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=54+Prideaux+Street+Nanaimo,+BC+V9R&amp;laye r=c&amp;sll=49.170192,-123.945432&amp;cbp=13,73.8,,0,-9.22&amp;cbll=49.169746,-123.945355&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear =54+Prideaux+St,+Nanaimo,+British+Columbia+V9R+2M6 ,+Canada&amp;ll=49.170192,-123.945432&amp;spn=0.058923,0.169086&amp;t=m&amp;z =13&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;panoid=wYqUEqk32E85y84LJwF5fA& amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #72
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
These cash only places really annoy me. I can understand if it's a small family run business, but there are many larger restaurants that operate this way too. There is big irish pub dt (maybe ceilis or something), they don't accept debit even for dinner service, but instead force you to use their in-store ATM that charges a $3.00 service fee

I usually don't carry cash because I hate getting a bunch of change back every time I make a purchase. If I'm short at a restaurant and have to go to an ATM, you better believe that fee (and maybe more for my time) is coming out of the tip, and I probably won't return a second time.
I think it makes just as much sense for a large restaurant to operate on a cash-only premises than a small restaurant. Larger restaurant (usually) equals more transactions. Let's say Ceilis has 300 (a VERY modest estimate) transactions per night, including both drink and food orders. Even with a 6 cent debit charge per transaction, that accumulates to a total of 0.06*300, $18 charge per night, though I'm sure there are many occasions where the debit charge is more than 6 cents. In a month, that's 30*18= $540, a very handsome sum of money. If customers begin using credit cards, that number rises even more dramatically, maybe even up to a couple thousand dollars per month?

My only concern with cash-only restaurants is that it repels customers. Like you, I absolutely disdain carrying cash on me and would prefer to pay everything in credit cards. In the long-run, unless the restaurant is exceptional, people may begin to look for alternative options where creds and debs are accepted.
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #73
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
I've been in this situation before where I didn't have enough cash to pay the bill and the restaurant didn't accept credit/debit cards. (First time grabbing take out and I wasn't aware they had a little "cash only print out" at the till and I was short about $10) Instead of acting like a cheap douche bag and asking if the manager would "let me off easy," I left my cell phone as collateral while I went to an ATM machine. The manager was actually nice, he said it was okay and I could come back to repay the remaining of the bill another time. I declined the offered and left, came back and gave the manager a $20 bill because of his grateful attitude.

Although I do see an issue with restaurants that only take cash, it can be an inconvenience for the customers. Some restaurants (usually asian cuisine will not charge you sales tax if you choose to pay cash which I think benefits both parties. You pay less and the restaurant is happy about the payment)

Ethically it's definitely an act of improper business practice, but if it's going to save me 12%, I can look the other way

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #74
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Some restaurants (usually asian cuisine will not charge you sales tax if you choose to pay cash which I think benefits both parties. You pay less and the restaurant is happy about the payment)

Ethically it's definitely an act of improper business practice, but if it's going to save me 12%, I can look the other way
Legally it is an act of tax fraud.

What it saves you costs the rest of us. The restaurant industry grew at a faster pace than housing over the last decade, so they have no excuse for dodging paying their fair share of taxes.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #75
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
it doesnt save you 12% because the govt raises/adds taxes to make up for these freeloaders
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: