REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #126
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

My iPhone case has a slot for a credit card, debit card and my drivers license. I have a folded $50 bill slipped into 1 of the slots for times like this. I havent used that $50 for at least a year now. I use by debit/cc for everything I buy and i TRY to stay away fom these "cash only" joints...but that's just me.
Advertisement
accordpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #127
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
There could be several reasons why a place doesn't take CC and it's not always for tax evasion.
No, its always for tax evasion. The costs are pennies compared to other business expenses.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #128
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
No, its always for tax evasion. The costs are pennies compared to other business expenses.
Yeah... no.

A small mom and pop shop can rack up over $700 in CC expenses each month very easy depending on the nature of the business. However you want to look at it, $700 saved is $700 saved.

You have to look at this from the perspective of a business owner. That $700 can be spent on new equipment for the store. Either boost sales or reduce your expenses.

This is a great way to do it if the nature of your business can pull it off.

If a customer buys 4 dollars of stuff from you with a CC, do you know where your margin just went?

Please let me know what business expenses are as you call it "pennies" so 100x more than CC transaction expenses in the small business context here in Richmond.
trollface is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #129
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I wonder how they would of felt if it was the other way around and the restaurant said to them "sorry, but we are a dollar short with your change....its only a dollar"
Posted via RS Mobile
type-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #130
I don't get it

^ Then I will take 1 dollar worth of salmon sashimi to go with me, sir. Given that you agree.
butter_sashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #131
RS controls my life!

Do companies have to pay to have interac machines? Or is it because they're shady characters and wanna keep everything under the table via cash.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #132
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Yeah... no.

A small mom and pop shop can rack up over $700 in CC expenses each month very easy depending on the nature of the business. However you want to look at it, $700 saved is $700 saved.
Yeah... yes, dumbass.

$700 is the tax on $5K of business income, and most restaurants make that in a single day. By taking only cash they can easily hide more than $5K a month and save that $700 and more.

Your stupid math doesn't work on those of us that actually know the business. Go troll elsewhere.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
Do companies have to pay to have interac machines? Or is it because they're shady characters and wanna keep everything under the table via cash.
The machines are supplied by many companies. MOST let you use them for free and they make money off you per-transaction (%). The cut also depends on volume in sales dollars. If you go over XXX amount in a month, you pay a different % cut. Some companies will charge you for the fancier machines that are bla bla bla wireless, bla bla bla faster so on so on.

Don't underestimate the actual cost of these CC transactions. At the end of the month, you look at your expenses in your books and you would feel sick seeing a $700 dollar expense for credit cards when your rent is only 4k (location depending). You look for ways to drive down your expenses and this is one of the easiest places to do it with minimal impact to the operations of your small company with few employees. Look at your monthly net loss/profit and start adding that $700 back in there and the decision becomes very clear to many small business owners. It's not easy to make a buck.

The assumption that this expense is insignificant is 100% false. I promise you that.
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #134

Sry, double posted. Pc went nuts
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Yeah... yes, dumbass.

$700 is the tax on $5K of business income, and most restaurants make that in a single day. By taking only cash they can easily hide more than $5K a month and save that $700 and more.

Your stupid math doesn't work on those of us that actually know the business. Go troll elsewhere.
First, nice assumption and the use of name-calling when someone disagrees with you.

So your blanket statement is true eh? There is no possibility WHAT SO EVER that taking cash is legitimate way to drive down your operating expenses? Your 5k is what? Gross revenues? Also, let's talk apples to apples here. The businesses we're talking about taking cash only are not pulling in 5k a day selling dumplings, bro.

Let's say you rock as small restaurant owner and pull in 5k revenues, you're so bad-ass that your net profit 1,500 a day(30% profit margin lol). Industry average for around 2005 was 4-7%.

Mastercard charges 2.05% (Yes that's a real number) currently on the amount of transaction. Let's say that you're lucky, and only 50% are CC. That's what? 50 bucks a day?

50 bucks a day and 1,500 a month or 18k a year. Yeah, you're right. That's not much at all for a mom and pop. I'm not "trolling" with my stupid math. I honestly don't care as I have no stake in the outcome of this disagreement. However, if you're angry at my "troll math", please direct your anger towards these 2008 income statements for restaurants in Steveston on my thumb-drive. I think that's a more fitting place for it.

Last edited by trollface; 01-07-2012 at 09:49 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #136
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Yeah... no.
Um....yes.

I will explain it real simple for you to understand about the preferred "cash only" method of some restaurants.

let's say a restaurant makes 100 food sales in a day,well since there is no paper trail for cash,all they would have to delcare is 40 of the sales for that day,thus pocketing the rest and not paying tax on it.

Ever wonder why 90% of those Vietnamese Pho' restaurants are " cash only".

I have a friend that is a tax auditor for Revenue Canada,he told me he's shut down more "cash only" restaurants for that reason than any other reason.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #137
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

None of the taxis where I live take cards

I paid under the full in another city recently since it was all the cash I had (didn't want my card)

Hard to remember to have cash when you drank it all at the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
I have a friend that is a tax auditor for Revenue Canada,he told me he's shut down more "cash only" restaurants for that reason than any other reason.
lol, I didn't think a tax auditor could shut down a restaurant for a reason other than tax fraud?

Last edited by Nightwalker; 01-07-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #138
Get Money, Get Paid

Thanked 1,264 Times in 262 Posts
When my sister got married, she had her reception at a Chinese restaurant. The restaurant manager told her if she paid cash, she wouldn't be charged sales tax. Keep in mind it was a big reception that costed $15,000 (30 tables of 10)

Something to keep in mind...
Volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
Um....yes.

I will explain it real simple for you to understand about the preferred "cash only" method of some restaurants.

let's say a restaurant makes 100 food sales in a day,well since there is no paper trail for cash,all they would have to delcare is 40 of the sales for that day,thus pocketing the rest and not paying tax on it.

Ever wonder why 90% of those Vietnamese Pho' restaurants are " cash only".

I understand exactly how it works. I'm simply stating the blanketing of all businesses under this is unjust and unfounded when there are legitimate reasons why a business owner may choose to do this. You're pretty much saying all Viet business owners are criminals. Sounds kinnda crappy, eh?
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
lol, I didn't think a tax auditor could shut down a restaurant for a reason other than tax fraud?
There are many reasons for getting shut down and also many ways to cheat the tax system,some are very sophisticated and some are dumb,but the dumbest way to get caught is hanging a "cash only" sign on the front door.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #141

Quote:
You're pretty much saying all Viet business owners are criminals. Sounds kinnda crappy, eh?
Now you're putting words in my mouth,I never stated or even hinted that all Viet business owners are criminals.

However,the majority are just fronts for their drug laundering.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #142
My homepage has been set to RS

the chinese noodle place inside the Empire Centre food court ( same mall as where Hon's noodle house used to be) charges HST on all its dishes but doesnt give its customers any sort of receipt. The owners also go on trips around the world twice a year prob using the tax money they took from the customers without paying back to the government.

I also hate those chinese places who charges you tax but gives u a hand written (scribbly) receipt.
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #143
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
when i eat out and im short a buck or two, i put whatever i have and walk out. (usually just short tips)
shawn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #144
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
^wow dude.. you know in some restaurants the servers have to pay out some of the tip?
so if you tip them like 5% they might have served you for free.
no server would ever work for their base wage (usually minimum) without tips... if you've ever worked in a restaurant then you know why.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #145
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
I have worked in a restaurant before. I only did it twice ever because i didnt know the restaurant was cash only in richmond. I took all the change from my car and i was missing about $2.25...
shawn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #146
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
when i eat out and im short a buck or two, i put whatever i have and walk out. (usually just short tips)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
I have worked in a restaurant before. I only did it twice ever because i didnt know the restaurant was cash only in richmond. I took all the change from my car and i was missing about $2.25...
Now we know who OP was describing at Gyo-O few days ago...
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #147
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
i think he means hes shut down more cash only restaurants than their plastic accepting counterparts because of tax fraud
danizer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #148
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
You're pretty much saying all Viet business owners are criminals. Sounds kinnda crappy, eh?
The truth hurts.

Its even worse when they charge the tax and just pocket that too.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #149

Quote:
Yeah... no.

You have to look at this from the perspective of a business owner. That $700 can be spent on new equipment for the store. Either boost sales or reduce your expenses.

This is a great way to do it if the nature of your business can pull it off.

If a customer buys 4 dollars of stuff from you with a CC, do you know where your margin just went?

Please let me know what business expenses are as you call it "pennies" so 100x more than CC transaction expenses in the small business context here in Richmond.
tons of ppl in this thread stated they avoid cash only places. a lotta the customers in these shops are new ones. if they offered credit card business would increase and cover the alleged $700, while brining in new business they wouldnt have otherwise. this leads to long term business and referrals as well
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #150

Quote:
None of the taxis where I live take cards

I paid under the full in another city recently since it was all the cash I had (didn't want my card)

Hard to remember to have cash when you drank it all at the bar.

i heard bonnys taxi is a big laundering operation so not surprised
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote