REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #26
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The high school drop out rate was 50% when my father attended high school, while today it is ~10%. The teenage pregnancy rate and poverty rate was double what it is now.

Just cause you're an old fart doesn't mean your generation is better. In fact it means you're jaded, cause today's kids are far better off than any generation in history.

If you want to call them spoiled entitled brats, I'll agree with that. If you want to criticize that formal education has replaced learning real world skills (DIY repairs/maintenance), I'll agree with that.
Agree. But he's right about the lack of critical thinking and social skills. And to be fair, that's the parents' fault of replacing physical play with video games, TVs and what not at very young age. That slows brain development in certain aspects aforementioned. Though, it doesn't necessarily make one generation worse than the other.
Advertisement
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #27
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,669 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
^Honestly, with some make up and some different clothes she could probably look okay to decent!

And who cares what she looks likes? She'll probably save one of my future kids kids one day =D
so if u were given a choice on either saving your grand kids or sleeping with her with half decent make up choose wisely
sindragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #28
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
The high school drop out rate was 50% when my father attended high school, while today it is ~10%. The teenage pregnancy rate and poverty rate was double what it is now.

Just cause you're an old fart doesn't mean your generation is better. In fact it means you're jaded, cause today's kids are far better off than any generation in history.

If you want to call them spoiled entitled brats, I'll agree with that. If you want to criticize that formal education has replaced learning real world skills (DIY repairs/maintenance), I'll agree with that.
Ha ha........... these days, nobody fails. They just pass them.

Also, never said my generation was better. In fact, we are probably to blame for the newer generations' problems.

This current generation may be the first to not do better than the previous generation. You make it sound like I am talkiing about your generation.....

Call me old fart all you want, young cunt.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #29
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

very impressive story. Seems like the lacking thing these days is motivation and she has a lot of intrinsic motivation driving her which is great to see. In highschool i was more worried about doing the worked needed to get A's and nothing more. Spent the rest of my time playin ball or hanging out. It's not till now that I find research articles more and more interesting. I guess she just found what interests her at an earlier age than most. And for all of you comparing last generation stats with this generation, the comparison of stats will not get you anywhere because the circumstances aren't the same.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
the comparison of stats will not get you anywhere because the circumstances aren't the same.
I can agree with that. Back then, drop out rate was high because there wasn't the pressure schools have nowadays to keep kids in school.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #31
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
Angela's idea was to mix cancer medicine in a polymer that would attach to nanoparticles -- nanoparticles that would then attach to cancer cells and show up on an MRI. so doctors could see exactly where the tumors are. Then she thought shat if you aimed an infrared light at the tumors to melt the polymer and release the medicine, thus killing the cancer cells while leaving healthy cells completely unharmed.
If I understand correctly, she just came up with the idea of a self destructing cancer GPS...all of the the procedures were described very vaguely and it doesn't seem like she actually invented anything on her own.
The idea is so...primitive...how could they not have thought of this before LOL. Conclusion: Although smart (her university career), I don't really think she's a super genius, just above average asian

kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #32
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
^Talked to a friend in the profession about it and he said while it's impressive she did research at the age of 17, it's nothing new and most likely not gonna be "the cure for cancer" as hyped up by the media. There's probably a thousand type of cancer, and then you're talking about relapse, resistant, metastasis, etc.

Maybe that's why she's still going to school normally LOL. You would think if there was indeed a cure, the US government would jump on it way before the media with all the classified shits you won't even know her family exist.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 4,970 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Actually kids these days (overall) suck ass. So many stupid ones out there - smart asses. However, despite lousy parenting, teachers, and messed up society, the cream always rises to the top. And thank god for that. As long as we recognize and support the bright ones (ones who make a difference), we will continue to survive.

Gotta love LA........ the brightest and the most promising, living among the dumbest on the planet.

Back to the kids these days, topic. When you compare what kids, lets say 10, 20, 30 years ago could accomplish, with the ones of today, there is no comparison. Kids these days have no critical thinking skills, social skills, or ethics. And, you cannot really blame the teachers too much, either - when kids show up at the doorstep not knowing how to spell their name, read, write, tie their own shoelaces, etc. What can you expect? So many kids are fetal alcohol, malnourished, abused, etc. Babies left unattended in their cribs, wallowing in shit, staring at bare walls and ceilings, with nothing to stimulate their minds, while mommy and daddy drink themselves to oblivion, take drugs, and fight all day long.

/rant.
i concur ... LOLL
i'm part of the generation too , and we've got tons of 13 year-old LGs using a variety of drugs, packin on the make-up & flaunting their undeveloped bodies
the effects of peer pressure and society
i'm embarrassed lol
but like every generation, we all have our fair share of prodigies
V4NC1TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #34
MG1

^ thing is, it's the parents. There are a lot of great parents out there. Parents who are involved in their children's daily lives make a huge difference. In fact, those kids are miles ahead of any kid from my generation. Never before has information been so readily available - technology.

If anything, we are experiencing a, have/have not situation with the gap getter wider and wider.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #35
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Every time I look back to high school grad year, I notice that there were less "bright" kids in the younger grades, especially in the Grade 10 Socials class I peer tutored. It was kind of appalling at the level of stupidity some of these kids had (ie. believing in the Illuminati and focusing on starting a rap career), but there were a few kids that knew their shit and their parents are probably the reason why in both cases. Not that hard to tell which group had the most parental involvement. When I graduated, I could count how many students smoked on two hands. Last time I paid a visit to my old teachers the following September, I saw a group of 12-15 students on the corner passing out Belmonts to each other.

Even with the availability of online resources, the opposite can happen if it's used. What if something that no online parenting article covers comes up for the parents? They can call theirs for advice, but then again wouldn't it make a bit of sense to try something they came up with themselves?

Although I can't relate since I'm not a parent myself, the pragmatist in me thinks a mix of online resources and trial-and-error makes sense in raising a kid. It's possible to be a super-parent with online resources, but then again, I'm thinking it's the Internet that raised that kid, not the parents themselves.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

I predict these kids will turn out fine and when they get old, they will be bitching about the next generation. Before, it was rock n roll, then TV, then rap music, then video games, then the internet, and now it's social media and how's it gonna ruin the kids. OMG, it's something I don't understand so it must be bad!

C'mon, we've heard it all before and they have a history of being wrong each time. So what's different this time? Socio-economic problems are not new.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #37
I subscribe to Revscene

should send this girl to do her human testing in some left-wing nation, then until there are confirmed results i'm hanging out with this guy

dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #38
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
that's amazing
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #39
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Every time I look back to high school grad year, I notice that there were less "bright" kids in the younger grades, especially in the Grade 10 Socials class I peer tutored. It was kind of appalling at the level of stupidity some of these kids had (ie. believing in the Illuminati and focusing on starting a rap career), but there were a few kids that knew their shit and their parents are probably the reason why in both cases. Not that hard to tell which group had the most parental involvement. When I graduated, I could count how many students smoked on two hands. Last time I paid a visit to my old teachers the following September, I saw a group of 12-15 students on the corner passing out Belmonts to each other.

Even with the availability of online resources, the opposite can happen if it's used. What if something that no online parenting article covers comes up for the parents? They can call theirs for advice, but then again wouldn't it make a bit of sense to try something they came up with themselves?

Although I can't relate since I'm not a parent myself, the pragmatist in me thinks a mix of online resources and trial-and-error makes sense in raising a kid. It's possible to be a super-parent with online resources, but then again, I'm thinking it's the Internet that raised that kid, not the parents themselves.
are you fucking kidding me? That's like saying people who believe in god are stupid. Whats wrong with focusing on a rap career? When the hell did believing in something and making long term career goals make you "less bright". Jesus christ some of you think to highly of yourselves..
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #40

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:

I'd like to reply to your post by giving you 1 simple example.

What if the world lost ALL power one day?

The new generation, atleast 70-100% of them, would be ENTIRELY FUCKED. It's kind of funny how normal things like math, and writing could easily be abolished because we have tablets to write on, and calculators that can do the work for us. But if that technology were to ever fail, it would be fun to see. (Even though I'd have to go back to hand drafting my drawings.. )
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #41
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
I'd like to reply to your post by pointing out I already mentioned this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192
If you want to criticize that formal education has replaced learning real world skills (DIY repairs/maintenance), I'll agree with that.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #42
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
Didn't know someone with a revolutionary idea that could impact a shit ton of people have to look like models too.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #43

I'm not critizing "real world skills" I'm saying that soon, my kid won't know how to use a god damn pencil, because he'll want to use an iPad to type on.

Fact: http://venturebeat.com/2011/10/26/aa...let-exclusive/
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
I'm not critizing "real world skills" I'm saying that soon, my kid won't know how to use a god damn pencil, because he'll want to use an iPad to type on.
If the world lost all power the last thing your kid will worry about is writing squiggly lines on paper. Have you not watched Zombie apocalypse movies!?
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #45
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:

Fact: Hands On: India’s $35 Aakash Android tablet lands in America (exclusive) | VentureBeat
Don't be such a Neo-Luddite.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #46

Just saying.. *waits for a Fire-Sail*
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #47

Quote:

What if the world lost ALL power one day?

The new generation, atleast 70-100% of them, would be ENTIRELY FUCKED. It's kind of funny how normal things like math, and writing could easily be abolished because we have tablets to write on, and calculators that can do the work for us. But if that technology were to ever fail, it would be fun to see. (Even though I'd have to go back to hand drafting my drawings.. )
OTOH, if the world doesn't lose power, the new generation will better suited to the changing world around them. Then one day, YOU would be entirely fucked having to compete against these guys automating your job. Then all that's left is for you to compare how much better you are against teenagers.

But all this assumes ppl can't ever adapt to technology or building a camp, etc, which is false.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #48
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin7352 View Post
If I understand correctly, she just came up with the idea of a self destructing cancer GPS...all of the the procedures were described very vaguely and it doesn't seem like she actually invented anything on her own.
The idea is so...primitive...how could they not have thought of this before LOL. Conclusion: Although smart (her university career), I don't really think she's a super genius, just above average asian

That details weren't explained because you wouldn't understand it. She's reading and understanding doctorate level papers in grade 9??
Maybe you're just bitter that you didn't do anything more than watch pokemon in highschool, but I think you have to give her a bit more than 'above average'.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #49
MG1

Girl got $100, 000.00 because she shows promise. Thinks outside the box, has drive, quick learner, high crtical thinking skills, etc.

As for the purple shoes....... love it. Shows she's down to earth and not some weirdo, mad scientist type.

======================================
Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning Domains
Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #50
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
are you fucking kidding me? That's like saying people who believe in god are stupid. Whats wrong with focusing on a rap career? When the hell did believing in something and making long term career goals make you "less bright". Jesus christ some of you think to highly of yourselves..
Guess I should have been more specific. This student was trying to write rhymes and generally slacking off in class, not doing any work and otherwise disrupting the class. I don't mind if you want to start a rap career, just do it on your own time, or at least make a passable attempt to focus on both your academic and future rap career. It was my job to try to help students not fail, and I pretty much gave up half way into the semester as nothing was getting to that student.