REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Calif. HS student devises possible cancer cure (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661303-calif-hs-student-devises-possible-cancer-cure.html)

Razor Ramon HG 01-15-2012 03:26 AM

Calif. HS student devises possible cancer cure

Calif. HS student devises possible cancer cure - CBS News

Quote:

If you ever worry about the future of America, there is no need: it is in good hands. A high school student named Angela is proof of that. We think you'll agree she is nothing short of amazing. CBS News correspondent Steve Hartman met her on the road.
Born to Chinese immigrants, 17-year-old Angela Zhang of Cupertino, California is a typical American teenager. She's really into shoes and is just learning how to drive.

But there is one thing that separates her from every other student at Monta Vista High School, something she first shared with her chemistry teacher, Kavita Gupta.

It's a research paper Angela wrote in her spare time -- and it is advanced, to say the least. Gupta says all she knows is its recipe -- for curing cancer.

"Cure for cancer -- a high school student," said Gupta. "It's just so mind-boggling. I just cannot even begin to comprehend how she even thought about it or did this."

"I just thought, 'Why not?' 'What is there to lose?'" said Angela.

When she was a freshman, she started reading doctorate level papers on bio-engineering.

"At first it was a little bit overwhelming," said Angela, "but I found that it almost became like a puzzle, being able to decode something."

By sophomore year she'd talked her way into the lab at Stanford, and by junior year was doing her own research.

In a lab area, Hartman asked Angela: "Try and make it for a feeble mind, such as this one, to understand."

Angela: "So I made something that's an iron-oxide, gold dangle...

Hartman: "You lost me." (laughter)

Eventually, here's what he did get.

Angela's idea was to mix cancer medicine in a polymer that would attach to nanoparticles -- nanoparticles that would then attach to cancer cells and show up on an MRI. so doctors could see exactly where the tumors are. Then she thought shat if you aimed an infrared light at the tumors to melt the polymer and release the medicine, thus killing the cancer cells while leaving healthy cells completely unharmed.

"I think it was more of a -- 'This is really cool, I want to see if it works' -- type thing," she said.

"And when you found out it did..." asked Hartman.

"That was pretty amazing."

It'll take years to know if it works in humans -- but in mice -- the tumors almost completely disappeared.

Angela recently entered her project in the national Siemens science contest. It was no contest. She got a check for $100,000 and promptly bought about a dozen more pairs of shoes.

"I got these shoes because they're purple and I didn't have purple yet," she explained.

Easy to forget, she is still high school. It's just her dreams that keep graduating.

"I'm excited to learn just everything possible," she said. "Everything in the sciences -- biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, even computer science -- to make new innovations possible."

Pretty big flats to fill. How will she top her cancer discovery? We can't wait.

J____ 01-15-2012 05:04 AM

incredible

boatcaptain 01-15-2012 05:23 AM

doctor-asian level 99!!

Hehe 01-15-2012 06:14 AM

Fuck... and to think what I was doing when I was a HS senior. :fuckthatshit:

FerrariEnzo 01-15-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 7761606)
Fuck... and to think what I was doing when I was a HS senior. :fuckthatshit:

Kids these days... they will surprise you

Death2Theft 01-15-2012 06:45 AM

Watch her get killed or law suits coming to shut her down.

Soundy 01-15-2012 06:50 AM

You know you're getting old when you start using phrases like "Kids these days..."

satek 01-15-2012 07:14 AM

no matter how great you think you are at something, there's always an asian that is better. :lawl:

yot065 01-15-2012 07:40 AM

lol damn looking at these kids doing amazing things makes you regret how must time you wasted lol

MG1 01-15-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7761607)
Kids these days... they will surprise you

Actually kids these days (overall) suck ass. So many stupid ones out there - smart asses. However, despite lousy parenting, teachers, and messed up society, the cream always rises to the top. And thank god for that. As long as we recognize and support the bright ones (ones who make a difference), we will continue to survive.

Gotta love LA........ the brightest and the most promising, living among the dumbest on the planet.

Back to the kids these days, topic. When you compare what kids, lets say 10, 20, 30 years ago could accomplish, with the ones of today, there is no comparison. Kids these days have no critical thinking skills, social skills, or ethics. And, you cannot really blame the teachers too much, either - when kids show up at the doorstep not knowing how to spell their name, read, write, tie their own shoelaces, etc. What can you expect? So many kids are fetal alcohol, malnourished, abused, etc. Babies left unattended in their cribs, wallowing in shit, staring at bare walls and ceilings, with nothing to stimulate their minds, while mommy and daddy drink themselves to oblivion, take drugs, and fight all day long.

/rant.

MG1 01-15-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satek (Post 7761628)
no matter how great you think you are at something, there's always an asian that is better. :lawl:

We have more than our share of dumb ones out there. Trust me. I work with a lot of doozy's.

b0unce. [?] 01-15-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

or... no matter how great you think you are at your job, there's always an 8 year old asian kid who can do it better, and is willing to work for less. :okay:

sindragon 01-15-2012 10:10 AM

old news but great news nevertheless :D

CorneringArtist 01-15-2012 10:16 AM

http://memegenerator.net/cache/insta...3/13253839.jpg

Jokes aside, this would be impressive if it got to a mass-use level.

Meowjin 01-15-2012 10:24 AM

shat

seakrait 01-15-2012 10:25 AM

Her future is set.

sindragon 01-15-2012 11:32 AM

finds a cure to cancer

?????

profit goes into shoes and driving lessons

:lawl:

Jboii59 01-15-2012 11:34 AM

wooow

see.lai 01-15-2012 12:20 PM

17 year old thinks about curing cancer?
I thought about playing my CS1.6 and dota all day..

:okay:

xilley 01-15-2012 01:04 PM

pic of angela zhang?

nvm.. http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content...ngelaZhang.jpg :heckno:

TheKingdom2000 01-15-2012 01:18 PM

^Honestly, with some make up and some different clothes she could probably look okay to decent!

And who cares what she looks likes? She'll probably save one of my future kids kids one day =D

taylor192 01-15-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 7761634)
Actually kids these days (overall) suck ass. So many stupid ones out there - smart asses. However, despite lousy parenting, teachers, and messed up society, the cream always rises to the top. And thank god for that. As long as we recognize and support the bright ones (ones who make a difference), we will continue to survive.

Gotta love LA........ the brightest and the most promising, living among the dumbest on the planet.

Back to the kids these days, topic. When you compare what kids, lets say 10, 20, 30 years ago could accomplish, with the ones of today, there is no comparison. Kids these days have no critical thinking skills, social skills, or ethics. And, you cannot really blame the teachers too much, either - when kids show up at the doorstep not knowing how to spell their name, read, write, tie their own shoelaces, etc. What can you expect? So many kids are fetal alcohol, malnourished, abused, etc. Babies left unattended in their cribs, wallowing in shit, staring at bare walls and ceilings, with nothing to stimulate their minds, while mommy and daddy drink themselves to oblivion, take drugs, and fight all day long.

/rant.

The high school drop out rate was 50% when my father attended high school, while today it is ~10%. The teenage pregnancy rate and poverty rate was double what it is now.

Just cause you're an old fart doesn't mean your generation is better. In fact it means you're jaded, cause today's kids are far better off than any generation in history.

If you want to call them spoiled entitled brats, I'll agree with that. If you want to criticize that formal education has replaced learning real world skills (DIY repairs/maintenance), I'll agree with that.

dinosaur 01-15-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

i disagree....

LSF22 01-15-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 7761891)

Well played :suspicious:

xilley 01-15-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 7761850)
^Honestly, with some make up and some different clothes she could probably look okay to decent!

And who cares what she looks likes? She'll probably save one of my future kids kids one day =D

not sure if serious.. :suspicious: