REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

ICBC Insurance - 2 cars

What is the process of getting a car insured? basically right now for example my dad has a car and he is on the insurance as he is the only one that drives it....he just bought another car for my brother, but the title is under his name, when they go in for insurance does his name need to be on the insurance or can it just be my brothers even though he doesn't own it?....or do they both have to be on the insurance and just put my brother as principle driver? is the insurance my dads rate or my brothers new driver no discount rate? thanks a bunch!
Advertisement
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Who ever is listed as the owner of the vehicle signs for the insurance paperwork. The owner can list anyone as the principle operator as long as they have their BCDL number. The insurance premiums are based on the principle operators discount or surcharge.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

cool thanks. do you know if he needs to be there to be put on?....he has school in the day, can my dad just get a copy of his license or will he need to sign stuff?
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Have you tried calling an Autoplan agent? They can give you better answers for your questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nano View Post
cool thanks. do you know if he needs to be there to be put on?....he has school in the day, can my dad just get a copy of his license or will he need to sign stuff?
Your brother will most likely have to sign it, for the most part insurance agents are open til late in the day so he can go in after school.

Also in regards to the discount rate, your brothers discounted rate will apply, not your dads. Since your brother is going to be the principal operator of the vehicle his rate will apply.

Also ensure that for whatever vehicle you have in your household that your brother or even yourself may drive, that the 10+ year experienced driver discount does not apply. (usually applies to vehicles owned by parents, since they have 10+ years of driving under their belt) If you get into an accident and this discount is applied then ICBC will rape u in the butt with a penalty, some where around $2000...

Ruthless & Associates Inc.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I'd highly recommend to have your dad transfer the title to your brother as registered owner.

Why?

Example:
Suppose your dad owns the car and your brother is the principle driver.
Your brother gets into qn at fault accident and face a surcharge on his premium the following year. Even if your brother decides to not drive anymore because his insurance cost too much, you dad as the owner of the vehicle will get hit with your brother's surcharge. Meaning that if your dad insures car A and car B at the same time, he will get the "hit" that your brother caused.

That's what I did for my vehicles. I bought a car for my mom to drive under my name. After the above thought, I transferred the cwr's title to my mom as she will be the principle driver.

There's no need to have two driver licenses to be exposed to ICBC. Of course, ICBC will not tell you that because it is favourable to them.

This is just my observation, please correct me if I am wrong.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
I'd highly recommend to have your dad transfer the title to your brother as registered owner.

Why?

Example:
Suppose your dad owns the car and your brother is the principle driver.
Your brother gets into qn at fault accident and face a surcharge on his premium the following year. Even if your brother decides to not drive anymore because his insurance cost too much, you dad as the owner of the vehicle will get hit with your brother's surcharge. Meaning that if your dad insures car A and car B at the same time, he will get the "hit" that your brother caused.

That's what I did for my vehicles. I bought a car for my mom to drive under my name. After the above thought, I transferred the cwr's title to my mom as she will be the principle driver.

There's no need to have two driver licenses to be exposed to ICBC. Of course, ICBC will not tell you that because it is favourable to them.

This is just my observation, please correct me if I am wrong.
Posted via RS Mobile
No, ownership is irrelevant, all about whose license the car is insured under (principal driver)

W/e is done, dont insure under the cheaper option (ur dads name), do it right, as ur suggesting, otherwise u r open to future risks
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

PRINCIPLE OPERATOR does not have to be present, only the owner has to be present to set up and sign for insurance paperwork. PRINCIPLE OPERATOR does not have to sign for anything. Copy of your brother's BCDL is fine or even know the number and have the agent confirm the name.

If your brother does get into an accident and it is his fault, it will affect both owner and principle operator. It will first attach onto your dad with the current plate that was on the car the accident was involved with. If the dad cancels the plates and insurance it will attach onto whoever first does some sort of car or license renewal (if needs to be paid back to ICBC) for insurance.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
No, ownership is irrelevant, all about whose license the car is insured under (principal driver)

W/e is done, dont insure under the cheaper option (ur dads name), do it right, as ur suggesting, otherwise u r open to future risks
AFAIK, this is incorrect. TRDood is right. If the son is in an accident with the car under the dad's name, if the son stops driving or doesn't have a car insured, then the penalty will be attached to the dad's insurance the next time he renews.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Holy sweet fuck, how many icbc threads are there a week that could simply be answered by a quick and easy phone call.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I have my insurance under my mom's name for the 43% discount. My mom has her insurance under my dad's name.
see.lai is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by see.lai View Post
I have my insurance under my mom's name for the 43% discount. My mom has her insurance under my dad's name.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
your gonna be fucked when and if someone gets into an accident
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

It's a risk that I was willing to take anyways. Even the autoplan worker was saying I shouldn't do it. But hey, I'm paying for it anyways.
Hope nothing happens though.
see.lai is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
It's a risk that I was willing to take anyways. Even the autoplan worker was saying I shouldn't do it. But hey, I'm paying for it anyways.
Its not a risk you're taking... it's one your parents are. They could potentially be out thousands of dollars.
Posted via RS Mobile
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Its not a risk you're taking... it's one your parents are. They could potentially be out thousands of dollars.
Posted via RS Mobile
More than $Ks if they can prove he's been the principal driver, the insurance may be revoked and then his parents are on the hook for all damages, including liability.

Not worth it. If you kid's insurance is too high, buy them a beater and insure it with just basic.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
This is just a idiotic statement on your part. "You Hope Nothing Happens"
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Why are you even paying for insurance at all then? If you're willing to take that risk, might as well save even more money!