REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Dogs are treated like a person, they wouldnt put a person into danger like that if the guy has an AXE.

The guys comment in the video "Didnt have to shoot him, couldve baton'd him or something" Is pretty stupid. I am not going to attempt to even baton a guy if hes holding a damn AXE...

If only that other cop got out his taser in time, then while he was down release the dog, wouldve been better. But split second decisions
Advertisement
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #27
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
cops hold guns sideways?
Don't you know? They take form Officer Lou:

FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
He swung at the police. Opening fire is justified, but not that many bullets. Couldn't they just shoot his legs?
Posted via RS Mobile
Your telling me if your in their situation you would be thinking more about how many bullets to shoot than your safety
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #29
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Some idiot won the Darwin award. Exciting.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #30
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
From what I've learned a officer is not supposed to use his gun unless its the absolute last resource he has available to him. I don't get why they didn't use the dog..
the dog is a k9 officer, the perp had an axe the same size of the dog releasing the dog could very well means sacrificing the dog. usually dogs are use for chases or when suspects get themselves into a hard to reach places or when the suspect loses the ability to fight back and severly injure the dog, they are not to be use as shield

i agree with the gun, the guy certainly looks older than 15, anybody at that age should know you will get pwn when u swing an axe at the po po
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #31
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You shoot to preserve life or grevious bodily harm. Somebody with an axe who starts swinging at you, your partner and some Police dogs, is not behaving rationally. A rational person would have dropped the axe as he was ordered. This BS about shooting somebody in the legs or shooting the axe out of his hand is the result of too many Holywood movies. In real life in a stress situation, it is almost impossible. While the bullets miss the axe weilder gets to continue his actions.

As far as 1 shot being enough, from personal experience, hitting someone twice in the centre mass does not stop them. It took a high tackle by four of us after the guy was shot to bring him down when he dropped the knife. The normal method is two shots to centre mass and the third to the head. Re-assess and repeat until the danger is neutralized. In this video we don't know how many shots hit him and what kind of impact they had. This is life and death, not some video game.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #32
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
You shoot to preserve life or grevious bodily harm. Somebody with an axe who starts swinging at you, your partner and some Police dogs, is not behaving rationally. A rational person would have dropped the axe as he was ordered. This BS about shooting somebody in the legs or shooting the axe out of his hand is the result of too many Holywood movies. In real life in a stress situation, it is almost impossible. While the bullets miss the axe weilder gets to continue his actions.

As far as 1 shot being enough, from personal experience, hitting someone twice in the centre mass does not stop them. It took a high tackle by four of us after the guy was shot to bring him down when he dropped the knife. The normal method is two shots to centre mass and the third to the head. Re-assess and repeat until the danger is neutralized. In this video we don't know how many shots hit him and what kind of impact they had. This is life and death, not some video game.
Whats your take on the '2nd round' of shots being fired, when the guy was stumbling away and had his back towards the cops. Would it be justified b/c he was turned around (maybe hidden hands)? Although from the video it looked obvious that the guy was stumbling and was ready to fall.

To me, it looks like the cop (not holding the dog) got suprised when he looked up and saw the suspect facing him followed by the other officer's gunfire. As a reaction, he draws his gun and fires at the suspect that has his back turned.
Also want to mention that, if infact it was the 2nd cop who fired, note that then the first cop actually stopped firing(did his bullets run out?).

Although they are trained for this, could it have been a split second situation mistake
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #33
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I've heard stories of soldiers in Iraq having someone in their squad carrying an M14 because their M16/M4's don't have enough stopping power. Stories of guys with multiple gunshot wounds from a 5.56mm round and they're still standing. They need the M14 because the large caliberr 7.62 round will drop the guy.

Don't disagree with the shots fired.
This is half true. I've been overseas as a private security contractor, and from experience I agree the M4 does lack stopping power, I have fired multiple rounds into a combatant center mass without him going down, but switching from an M4 to a M14 is not practical as the M14 is not effective and cumbersome to use in close quarters and building sweeps. The short barrel SCAR-H has been an good option from the M4. The M14 is more practical for longer range combat and marksmans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
He swung at the police. Opening fire is justified, but not that many bullets. Couldn't they just shoot his legs?
Posted via RS Mobile
You're taught and trained to fire center mass until the subject is down. At the point where the subject swings the axe with intent to do deadly harm, you return with use of deadly force.

Quote:
Whats your take on the '2nd round' of shots being fired, when the guy was stumbling away and had his back towards the cops. Would it be justified b/c he was turned around (maybe hidden hands)? Although from the video it looked obvious that the guy was stumbling and was ready to fall.
Zulutango can weigh in here, but again if you open fire on a subject, you fire center mass until the target is down. The 6th and 7th rounds came in what you called "2nd round of shots" and the subject was still on his feet, totally justified IMO.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbaddie View Post
feel like 6 shots were too many.. 1 woulda stopped him from swinging at the officer.
Its like fighting...if someone tries to throw a punch to your face, are you just gonna take a broken nose/cheekbone or a black eye and walk away like nothing happened?

I for one will start throwing whatever I got to defend myself.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #35
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post

To me, it looks like the cop (not holding the dog) got suprised when he looked up and saw the suspect facing him followed by the other officer's gunfire. As a reaction, he draws his gun and fires at the suspect that has his back turned.
Also want to mention that, if infact it was the 2nd cop who fired, note that then the first cop actually stopped firing(did his bullets run out?).

Although they are trained for this, could it have been a split second situation mistake
We're watching a video and only see part of what happens and our view is obstructed for much of the time. We don't know if any of the first shots hit him or even injured him in a way that would stop him. From what you say they did not as he was still moving. I carried 15 +1 rounds in my S&W (plus extra mags) but some carry less rounds so we don't know why the first shots stopped.

The axe carrier may well have turned back towards the Police and continued the attack. He had attempted capital murder against them already and they were taking no chances. People can cover short distances in very short periods of time and the Police experience is that someone with an edged weapon who is within 21 feet will very likely be able to kill you unless they are stopped. He seems within that distance, as was the case in the shooting I was involved with. When people get shot they don't go flying backwards or drop immediately ( unless head shot) and they are quite capable of continuing to harm you, specially when they are driven by drugs/alcohol/mental goals which override pain compliance.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Shots were justified to end the situation, and neutralize the suspect.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
An axe is much more deadly than a stapler. I have no problem with how the police handled themselves here.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

For all of you saying it was too many shots, or why didnt' they shoot his legs etc., police are trained to use lethal force when required to fire a gun, and only fire if you are prepared to do so. Nothing against what was done. Don't motion to swing an axe at a police officer when a gun is pointed at you. Really, now....

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #39
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Yeah, you "can" do many things that don't involve killing him. You "can" sweep legs, use the dog or baton the fuck out of him. You also "can" risk the chance that you may not go home that night.

No one forced him to have an axe there, or smash out the windows just for shits and giggles and no one certainly forced him to step back on the officer in a show of power.

The key here is as Great68 said, there is a difference between a stapler and an axe, thus, the reason for one case being brought up on police brutality, and the other being celebrated as an example of, although tragic**, but justified use of a police weapon.

**I say tragic for loss of a better word, in that a man died at the hands of another, but the idea here is he started down that path.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #40
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
So turns out that one of the officers did deploy and hit the subject, Steven Rodriquez with his tazer but it had no effect.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #41
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,273 Times in 275 Posts

on another note, when officers have their guns drawn on you

drop whatever the fuck's in your hand down and cooperate

2004 E46 M3
2001 WRX STi (sold)
2003 Supercharged 350z (sold)
1991 R32 GTR (sold)
2000 Civic SiR (sold)
1990 Civic Si-T (sold)
1986 MK1 Mr2 (sold)
2005 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2003 CBR 600RR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098 track (sold)
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R (track build)
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #42
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Thinking about it more now. I think there needs to be more training on the cops end. For these types of situations.

They were way to close to the suspect in the first place, imo.
I mean that one cop could have been maimed easily. They shouldn't be in that situation in the first place. But, it's always easier said than done.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #43
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,099 Times in 168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
This is half true. I've been overseas as a private security contractor, and from experience I agree the M4 does lack stopping power, I have fired multiple rounds into a combatant center mass without him going down
Ya but remember that the 5.56mm NATO rounds are ball tipped for accuracy/distance. They spall like a motherfucker when they hit meat though. We had an insurgent try and sneak into our base. One well placed 5.56mm round entered his eye, bounced off his skull, and exited down through his jaw. He survived. The 5.56mm is good for being able to carry more ammo, and the kinetic energy it can produce through a C7/M16 reaches over 3000ft/sec, but I feel that a 6.8mm should be used in today's warfare. Especially when the insurgents are high out of their mind when fighting and can't really feel pain. NATO uses 5.56mm though so it would most likely be too expensive to refit everyone with a replacement weapon.

Police use 9mm hollow points so when the round enters a body, the ballistics mushroom on contact to disperse max damage through the organs.
FishTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #44
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

Gordon Freeman just couldn't stay away from the bars...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #45
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,690 Posts
The axe swinger made threatening gestures at the cops. -definitely on the cop's side in this incident.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #46
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
The dogs are primarily there for 2 reasons. To intimidate and attack on command if necessary, I understand its a dog and everyone loves dogs, but these dogs are trained to take down people are they not?
They also cost thousands to train. Would you put your dog up again someone with a weapon? All it takes is one big injury and the dogs career is done.

In this situation they already knew the suspect wouldn't cooperate and they don't want anyone else get injured so they did the right thing.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote