REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)
 
niu99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 231
Thanked 182 Times in 60 Posts
Wenzhou money is now in Vancouver

an article from Vancouver's chinese media talked about groups of businessmen from Wenzhou are in Vancouver now and purpose of their trip is to buy properties. One agent by the name of Zhang Wei Bin (alec zhang) of Sutton picked up 4 parties at the airport alone on Monday, the first day of the year of dragon. Starting on Tuesday, they have started to look at ocean view properties in West Van, most in $5 million range, including one at 2400 Halston Crt, which those businessmen consider very cheap, comparable properties cost 3 times more in China.

Most of you may never have heard the city. It is the birth place of current day capitalism in China and it is estimated the residents of the city have amassed over $90 billion investable capital, people from Wenzhou are known as fierce business competitors, and fearless properties buyers. Wenzhou housewives formed buying teams and go from city to city to buy big chunk of new development projects and sell later for profit. they are the ones who made news in 2011 to purchase some of the most expensive properties in HK (also among the most expensive properties in the world) China's ban on multiple housing units have severely limited Wenzhou people's opportunities domestically. That is why it is interesting to see where they go next.

Here are the photos of those people on Singtao Daily, the bald guy is the agent (alec zhang/sutton)







Advertisement

Last edited by niu99; 01-29-2012 at 11:41 AM.
niu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,310
Thanked 580 Times in 230 Posts
Ocean view properties? Lolz the houses that sold in the cambie 25th-41st area are all in the 4.1-5 mil range and look like old ass ranchers.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 825 Times in 341 Posts
i dont get it, why west van? cold weather and snow. why not a nice warm place like malibu or sth? is it because there are chinese ppl here? in which case, back to my question, why WEST VAN
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
twitchyzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 21,665
Thanked 9,477 Times in 3,790 Posts
what's with the last image?
__________________
zenki S2000
chuki JB Escudo
kouki Roadster RF

BST feedback
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 825 Times in 341 Posts
^apparently what they have in businessmen in the region, they do not have in decent graphic designers
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...
 
Redlines_Daily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,482
Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
This completely disrupts the natural flow of a local economy by driving up housing prices and causing further inflation. It would be nice if all these wealthy Chinese would use their money to help the poor and disabled in their own country, instead of fucking up our economy just to make more millions. Talk about no moral compass at all. I'm going to china in march for a study and volunteer program..how fucked up is that? That a country with some of the richest people in the world needs volunteers to help their own citizens.

Im all for making profit and bettering ones self, but there comes a time when you say to yourself "ok, I have 5 houses and tens of millions of dollars, maybe it's time to help others".
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I find it ironic that a communist country has wealthy business men to begin with. By its very nature, should not everyone be equal?

Oh. Corruption. Got it!
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,310
Thanked 580 Times in 230 Posts
Well property owners in these areas enjoy the million + added value property tax increases this year
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,310
Thanked 580 Times in 230 Posts
Because the chinese are very adept at dealing with corrupt dictators. Why buy anywhere in the states when the shady laws come and bite you in the ass and take away your ownership rights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
i dont get it, why west van? cold weather and snow. why not a nice warm place like malibu or sth? is it because there are chinese ppl here? in which case, back to my question, why WEST VAN
Posted via RS Mobile
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS
 
CP.AR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: FL400
Posts: 5,859
Thanked 3,072 Times in 1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I find it ironic that a communist country has wealthy business men to begin with. By its very nature, should not everyone be equal?

Oh. Corruption. Got it!
they aren't really in the traditional sense of Marxist communist anymore. They have been running a hybrid of communism/capitalism where the government controls everything EXCEPT wealth distribution
__________________
Where the hell am I
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Never thought of that, but American politicians do have a habit of taking on pet peeve projects that could turn and bite people in the ass.

I don't know though, that in this day in age they could actually pull off something specifically targeted at foreign ownership. And by "foreign" I mean asians and brown people, because those are the ones Americans love to hate.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Qmx323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 4,617
Thanked 2,334 Times in 757 Posts
"99% of the wealth is controlled by 1% of the population"...

and that 1% doesn't even live IN China.

Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
they aren't really in the traditional sense of Marxist communist anymore. They have been running a hybrid of communism/capitalism where the government controls everything EXCEPT wealth distribution
Oh yeah, I know...it was more sarcasm than anything. It's truly bizarre that you now have a dictator government that does everything EXCEPT provide the one supposed benefit of communism-that being equal wealth distribution.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Surrey
Posts: 788
Thanked 233 Times in 66 Posts
Gallery: What $350,000 can buy you across Canada

looks like i'm moving away haha
A-Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,642
Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Because the chinese are very adept at dealing with corrupt dictators. Why buy anywhere in the states when the shady laws come and bite you in the ass and take away your ownership rights.
don't agree AT ALL, the US won't ever just take away property from certain groups - if they do restrict, tax unfairly, or whatever else to foreign investors, tehy know they'd fuck themselves over.

lets just put it this way, i own a bunch of property in the states and none here and i have no concern that I'll be treated unfairly - and if, by some miniscule chance, they do start rumbling, i could just sell

only dumb and slow people get screwed by governments like that (although we all 'truly' get screwed by the government, but at least that's a level playing field)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
"Entertainment" mod.
 
CorneringArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 5,068
Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
This completely disrupts the natural flow of a local economy by driving up housing prices and causing further inflation. It would be nice if all these wealthy Chinese would use their money to help the poor and disabled in their own country, instead of fucking up our economy just to make more millions. Talk about no moral compass at all. I'm going to china in march for a study and volunteer program..how fucked up is that? That a country with some of the richest people in the world needs volunteers to help their own citizens.

Im all for making profit and bettering ones self, but there comes a time when you say to yourself "ok, I have 5 houses and tens of millions of dollars, maybe it's time to help others".
THIS. I have a feeling by the time I'll be in the market for a home in 7-10 years, foreign investment will have saturated the market with homes costing double what they do now.
__________________
Borokusowagen.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Anjew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 925
Thanked 237 Times in 102 Posts
i havent seen so many puffy jackets in one spot since aberdeen
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,310
Thanked 580 Times in 230 Posts
I am more referring to just general corruptoin where you go to the states buy a house pay the owner find out that there is still money owing to some bank or "holding agency" or lien or fines for non payment and getting clear ownership is just a giant pain in the butt and in some cases not even doable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Never thought of that, but American politicians do have a habit of taking on pet peeve projects that could turn and bite people in the ass.

I don't know though, that in this day in age they could actually pull off something specifically targeted at foreign ownership. And by "foreign" I mean asians and brown people, because those are the ones Americans love to hate.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Excelsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lala land
Posts: 2,850
Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
fuck you corrupt motherfuckers, i want a house too
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
Head Moderator
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1982
Location: Great White Nor
Posts: 22,655
Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Okay, that would fucking piss me off to no end. A prospective buying smoking on my property? Not only will the smell possibly get into my house, but where is he going to dump his butt once it's done?

No respect for other people, I tell you...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,310
Thanked 580 Times in 230 Posts
You are so uniformed about the US it's fucking retarded.
A home owner was just fined and had to tear down all construction of their new house because there was standing water after rainfall. According to some fucked up law for that state/county/city/town/district makes it "wetlands" and your not allowed to build on wetland.
So guess what happens after some insider buddies purchase it for dirt cheap with connections? They rezone it after buying it for pennies on the dollar. That kind of bullshit isn't happening YET in Canada but that is just a tiny example of whats going on.
Bet you didn't know that in some places the fines for having grass above a set level is in the THOUSANDS of dollars per day. So if your an old geezer who goes to the hospital you come back guess what FINES.
I'm sure you know california is underwater in debt. Do you know how many states are in worse situations? How do you think they are going to generate revenue?
You think mainlanders are going to travel halfway around the globe to a place where they dont even speak the langauge.... because they want to gamble? They are purchasing here for stability and the price for that, to them is DIRT CHEAP.
Do you think for one split second the people in charge in the US are not trying to start a civil war? Thats exactly what they want to happen and the problems are only going to get worse.

At the end of the day you can feel free to put your money where your mouth is and go buy some more property in the states. I know where my money wont be going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
don't agree AT ALL, the US won't ever just take away property from certain groups - if they do restrict, tax unfairly, or whatever else to foreign investors, tehy know they'd fuck themselves over.

lets just put it this way, i own a bunch of property in the states and none here and i have no concern that I'll be treated unfairly - and if, by some miniscule chance, they do start rumbling, i could just sell

only dumb and slow people get screwed by governments like that (although we all 'truly' get screwed by the government, but at least that's a level playing field)

Last edited by Death2Theft; 01-29-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #22
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
hypercube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: home
Posts: 154
Thanked 77 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
they aren't really in the traditional sense of Marxist communist anymore. They have been running a hybrid of communism/capitalism where the government controls everything EXCEPT wealth distribution
So their people get the worst of both sides
hypercube is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #23
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 23,380
Thanked 10,872 Times in 4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niu99 View Post
One agent by the name of Zhang Wei Bin (alec zhang) of Sutton
Thought of Zhang Fei for a split second, LOLOLOLOLOL.



I miss him.......... no homo.
__________________
Quote:
"there but for the grace of god go I"
Quote:
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Euro7r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,051
Thanked 1,258 Times in 547 Posts
I'm sick and tired of seeing these mother fuckers coming here and buying up everything. It's disappointing to see many people that were born and raised here having to move away because they can't afford to live here in this city.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,642
Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
You are so uniformed about the US it's fucking retarded.
A home owner was just fined and had to tear down all construction of their new house because there was standing water after rainfall. According to some fucked up law for that state/county/city/town/district makes it "wetlands" and your not allowed to build on wetland.
So guess what happens after some insider buddies purchase it for dirt cheap with connections? They rezone it after buying it for pennies on the dollar. That kind of bullshit isn't happening YET in Canada but that is just a tiny example of whats going on.
Bet you didn't know that in some places the fines for having grass above a set level is in the THOUSANDS of dollars per day. So if your an old geezer who goes to the hospital you come back guess what FINES.
I'm sure you know california is underwater in debt. Do you know how many states are in worse situations? How do you think they are going to generate revenue?
Your thinking some mainlander who has allll this money is just going to roll the dice in North America, where they barely speak english and just buy in the states?
Do you think for one split second the people in charge in the US are not trying to start a civil war? Thats exactly what they want to happen and the problems are only going to get worse.

At the end of the day you can feel free to put your money where your mouth is and go buy some more property in the states. I know where my money wont be going.
wow, are you some kind of conspiracy theory nut or something?

yes there are rules down there that if you break you have to pay, many of which are HOA based.

i'm not building anything, so i don't have to worry about anything like that, all my properties have full due diligence performed on them, are managed, and fully insured, so i'm not quite sure what kind of whack job theories you have about the world (and civil war? get a grip), but what i do know is that you will probably talk yourself out of an amazing opportunity to make a solid investment with sound fundamentals with low risk.

there are always ppl who do things wrong (perhaps mr. standing water), and there are always ppl who do dodgy handshake deals with insider information, but to say my properties will go up in smoke is ludicrous

why don't you tell me how 9/11 was an inside job (whether it was or not doesn't mean anything, but a lot of crack pots like to have themselves heard, and i'm getting the same feeling from you)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net