REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Driving ban against alleged Ferrari street racer overturned (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662276-driving-ban-against-alleged-ferrari-street-racer-overturned.html)

sebberry 01-31-2012 03:29 PM

Driving ban against alleged Ferrari street racer overturned

Quote:

One of the drivers who was banned from driving following an alleged high-speed street race involving 13 high-end sports cars last summer has had his suspension lifted.

In August last year, Cheng Jie Wang was issued a traffic violation ticket after the vehicles were pulled over by RCMP.

[...]

Article link

xilley 01-31-2012 03:47 PM

:facepalm:

Drow 02-05-2012 12:57 PM

O well no evidence right?
Posted via RS Mobile

Shorn 02-05-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

But it is “still the law” that we sanction people for what we can prove they have done, rather than for what we suspect they may be a part of, the judge concluded.
and thats really all you need to know about this. our justice system is here for a reason.

Nlkko 02-05-2012 03:48 PM

The way the law should be. Move on, nothing to see here.

cococly 02-05-2012 07:01 PM

The driver of the 599 should also be getting his car back from the impound lot.

taylor192 02-06-2012 08:08 AM

For anyone that thinks this is "justice", I posted this in the other thread:

Ottawa teen convicted in deadly street racing case - Ottawa - CBC News

Witnesses testified to override the statements of those involved that they were doing 50kmph when in fact they were doing 100+kmph.

If the witnesses had testified in this case, the judge hopefully would have ruled differently. Its not like it was one witness out to get a bunch of kids, there were several witnesses, who unfortunately chose not to testify.

If you do agree this is "justice" then the other drive does not deserve to have his suspension lifted. He filed late, that's how our system works.

MK-EK 02-06-2012 05:01 PM

dont impound the Ferraris they didn't do anything wrong!
i say free the Ferraris (revscene charity raffle LOL) but keep those guys locked up .... :D

Gnomes 02-06-2012 07:44 PM

13 drivers allegedly sped through a busy stretch of highway. How many eye witness who was driving 80km/h saw the cars zoomed by them and dialed 911? The cops did not act on ONE phone call. They acted upon x-number of calls from callers who are not related to one another. Question is - how many callers where there?

fetched 02-06-2012 08:27 PM

Some of the comments that made sense
Quote:

Misterbill, just another example of someone who's missed the boat.

If the witnesses won't give their name or have a license plate # or accurate description of a vehicle what use are they? The police themselves didn't witness anything.

I can get 20 people to call the police anonymously and complain that a guy that looks like you just robbed the 7-11. Of course we didn't see your face or have any pictures or fingerprints or even an accurate description of what you were wearing .

I suppose you'd just go to jail without a fight eh? We wouldn't want to bother the officers with something so trivial as PROOVING that it was you.
Quote:

Good call by the judge. The issue of spoiled young kids has nothing to do with this. This is about police arbitrarily confiscating cars and selling them off and suspending people's licenses at will. How messed up is this? You speed, without even getting into an accident and will get your Lambo taken away and sold off. That's a $200,000 fine for speeding. You go downtown and cause thousands of dollars in damagesin a riot and won't likely have to repay a penny to the business owners. I guess it's easier for our province to take people's property away at will rather than going after real criminals.
Quote:

Dear Parents of this driver. You have hired the lawyer and paid your son's fees and now he will be able to proceed as though nothing happened that day. Good for you. However, what lesson have you taught him? Car accidents are the number one killer of our young males and regardless of the legal bits your son was involved in an incident that proves he is not responsible enough for such a high performance car. So will he continue to drive it? Are you that willing to put his "Coolness" before his life? Do you feel our society needs such a driver on the road? How will you handle the civil suits if he kills someone other than himself? What message do you send your child when you enable him to participate in such a dangerous activity? My son wants a Mustang but he is driving a 12 year old solid car until he has the experience and MATURITY to handle anything else. Because I love my child more than him wanting to look cool.

zulutango 02-06-2012 08:30 PM

I like #3.

taylor192 02-07-2012 07:25 AM

I hate #1. Only someone "not so smart" would believe in conspiracy theories where multiple people conspire to call 911 with the same description at the same time.

Soundy 02-07-2012 08:30 AM

What I find really amusing (from reading the other thread on this topic) is the assertion that NOBODY who witnessed and phoned in the event could possibly have been competent enough to know how fast these drivers were going, let alone that they were racing or weaving or blocking other traffic... and yet, if you ask around this car-oriented forum, I don't think you'll find one person who doesn't think they're perfectly able to tell how fast another car is going.

Gnomes 02-07-2012 04:03 PM

^my point exactly. Say I am driving 100km/hr and a car beside me passes by me at amazing speed...

sebberry 02-07-2012 06:40 PM

Let's say you happen to be driving an R8, Aston, etc.. responsibly in the vicinity of these alleged street racers. They blow past at twice your speed and unknown to you take the next exit which is still out of sight.

Several 911 calls are made to report exotic cars "racing eachother". Some licence plates are recorded and passed on to police, some not.

You, driving responsibly in your exotic car takes the same exit the racers took a few minutes earlier. The police are now on the case and have started rounding up exotic cars on roads fed by the highway exit you just took.

Nope, not going to look bad at all....

Marco911 02-07-2012 06:44 PM

These drivers were charged with minor traffic offenses, not criminal offenses. You can charge someone based on witness testimony but if the ticket is disputed, you can't convict unless the witness is able to show up in court. When you have multiple witnesses without specific evidence or in some cases contradictory evidence, you really don't have much of a case. We live in a country where there is a rule of law and the burden of proof is rightly on the prosecution side. I for one am pleased that justice has prevailed.

Soundy 02-07-2012 07:49 PM

Relax, Marco, nobody considers a C4S to be an "exotic" so there's no chance of you getting accidentally lumped in.

Nlkko 02-07-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7788630)
What I find really amusing (from reading the other thread on this topic) is the assertion that NOBODY who witnessed and phoned in the event could possibly have been competent enough to know how fast these drivers were going, let alone that they were racing or weaving or blocking other traffic... and yet, if you ask around this car-oriented forum, I don't think you'll find one person who doesn't think they're perfectly able to tell how fast another car is going.

I side with the police most of the time but have to disagree on this.

It doesn't matter if you or I know how fast they were going. We are not professionally trained and our statement should NEVER be allowed to use as CONCLUSIVE evidence to take away somebody else's property. You can give them a ticket, fine. But take away their property? That's pretty serious stuffs. What CAN and CANNOT be used as evidence in court matters. Once a verdict is delivered, it's used as reference for judges in future case. Do you cringe at the possibility of any one person being able to report you for whatever stuffs you didn't do and you can your car crushed? Our system of law, or pretty much anywhere else in the world, would rather let the guilty off than hang the wrong person. And it should be that way.

Also I believed they were charged in a civil court, in which the burden of proof is substantially lighter than in criminal court. The fact the judges tossed the case shows you how weak the evidence is.

zulutango 02-08-2012 04:55 AM

Also I believed they were charged in a civil court, in which the burden of proof is substantially lighter than in criminal court. The fact the judges tossed the case shows you how weak the evidence is.[/QUOTE]

Police don't charge anyone for civil court, it must be for criminal, treaffic court etc. I'm not aware that you were provided with the reason that the charges were stayed? Could you provide us with a copy of the decision? There are many reasons that a "judge" could dismiss the charges and not having enough evidence to prove a charge is only one of them. Lots of technical legal reasons, witesses that don't show etc...

taylor192 02-08-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 7789363)
It doesn't matter if you or I know how fast they were going. We are not professionally trained and our statement should NEVER be allowed to use as CONCLUSIVE evidence to take away somebody else's property.

I posted a case where it was. In Canada that case becomes case law, thus our law now states that untrained witnesses are capable of telling the difference between 50 kmph and 100 kmph.

Quote:

What CAN and CANNOT be used as evidence in court matters.

An Ontario judge just ruled that untrained witness testimony can be used.

Quote:

Once a verdict is delivered, it's used as reference for judges in future case.

So you know how case law works, good. Review the case I posted and see what happens when witnesses actually step forward, unlike this case where it seems none testified.

taylor192 02-08-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7789219)
Let's say you happen to be driving an R8, Aston, etc.. responsibly in the vicinity of these alleged street racers. They blow past at twice your speed and unknown to you take the next exit which is still out of sight.

Several 911 calls are made to report exotic cars "racing eachother". Some licence plates are recorded and passed on to police, some not.

You, driving responsibly in your exotic car takes the same exit the racers took a few minutes earlier. The police are now on the case and have started rounding up exotic cars on roads fed by the highway exit you just took.

Nope, not going to look bad at all....

I have a tin foil hat for you.

sebberry 02-08-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7790128)
I have a tin foil hat for you.

Explain how the situation I described couldn't happen.

wing_woo 02-08-2012 02:48 PM

If they blew by you at twice the speed you were going, then by the time you drive by where they get caught, you 'should' have arrived late enough that they would not lump you in with them. If you arrived soon enough to be rounded up by the cops, then you would have been going quite fast yourself to be able to almost catch up to them.

taylor192 02-08-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7790135)
Explain how the situation I described couldn't happen.

The government can read your brain waves. You might want to protect yourself from this possibility.

socialenemy69 02-08-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wing_woo (Post 7790206)
If they blew by you at twice the speed you were going, then by the time you drive by where they get caught, you 'should' have arrived late enough that they would not lump you in with them. If you arrived soon enough to be rounded up by the cops, then you would have been going quite fast yourself to be able to almost catch up to them.

ever notice how people who speed passed you always end up at the same traffic lights as you?