REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #76
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

Personally i feel that jews, christians, muslims are part of the same faith (as they are)
You just lost any and all credibility you still had.
Advertisement

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #77
Need to Seek Professional Help

To me this whole idea of the Iranians building Nuclear Weapons to which the Iranians deny sounds awfully close to WMD's and we all know how well that panned out.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #78
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
2012 is just going as planned, the beginning of the end.

There was a prediction I read somewhere saying that WW1 will be fought with spears and bows. WW2 will be fought with guns and explosives. WW3 will be fought with nuclear weapons and bombs.

US have too much conspiracy shit going on that it makes it so hard to support them.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #79

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
^ You mean this?

Quote:
"I know not with what weapons WW3 will be fought, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #80
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Ignoring the other economic variables you mentioned, 1.16 trillion to help gain control of oil supply really isn't that much to give up for China.
Not all debt is monetary. The economic relationship between arguably the two largest and most powerful economies is irreversible. There will always be fundamental differences between the two but they now have a symbiotic economic relationship and much of the world operates on the backs of their infrastructure. In that regard the US and China are indebtted to eachother for the forseeable future. A severing of those ties, such as if the countries went to war against eachother, would be like damming the river above the waterfall. It's a variable you can't ignore so it's a moot point in this argument. It's not going to happen over Israel or Iran. If anything it could happen over Canada in 20-30 years.
Posted via RS Mobile
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #81
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
You just lost any and all credibility you still had.
really? They're apart of the Abrahamic faiths (which is what i was referring to); u should educate urself on their connection/relations and similarities in practices and beliefs

thats not what this thread is for but clearly you need some educating.... Go seek it
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by StylinRed; 02-07-2012 at 02:25 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #82
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f. View Post
"I-know-something-you-don't-know-la-la-la-la-la-and-I'm-not-going-to-tell-la-la-la-la-la"
Pathetic, just pathetic.

You claim I "will never have the kind of knowledge about [the Iranian] people that [you] have." Yet you can't even conjure up a single rebuttal.

Pathetic.

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 02-08-2012 at 04:32 AM.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #83
f.
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post

Pathetic, just pathetic. You claim I (LIKEABOSS) "will never have the kind of knowledge about my people that I (f.) have." Yet you can't even conjure up a single rebuttal. Pathetic.
Hahahahaha, I actually laughed out loud. Sorry I don't meet up to your e-standards, you're bullshit view is not worth my time.
f. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #84
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

interesting...

Iran Didn’t Bring Down the RQ-170. A Chinese Cyber Whiz Team Did «
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #85
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
So what stocks should we be buying for this looming war? Halliburton?
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #86
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
Not all debt is monetary. The economic relationship between arguably the two largest and most powerful economies is irreversible. There will always be fundamental differences between the two but they now have a symbiotic economic relationship and much of the world operates on the backs of their infrastructure. In that regard the US and China are indebtted to eachother for the forseeable future. A severing of those ties, such as if the countries went to war against eachother, would be like damming the river above the waterfall. It's a variable you can't ignore so it's a moot point in this argument. It's not going to happen over Israel or Iran. If anything it could happen over Canada in 20-30 years.
Posted via RS Mobile
Getting a bit abstract here. Debt is monetary, there are no I.O.U.'s or "I got this tab, you pick up the next one" here. This real debt will not prevent China from fighting against the US.

What you are talking about is more the globalized economy and how these 2 large economies are currently relying on each other for their own respective success and growth, has nothing to do with 'debt' and being indebted to each other. If the economic system as we know it collapses, I would argue that the US and the West are going feel the effects much much more than China would.

Assuming US and China go against each other at some point in the future, where is the US going to get all of their cheap manufacturing and high volume production labour to fulfill demands? There's nobody else but China to turn to. China realizes this, US realizes this. It sounds like the US may be the ones willing to jeopardize this relationship by going after the oil supply.

I'm no expert in this area, just some surface observations.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #87
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
People always say "it would be in X's best interest to make sure that Y continues to do what it's doing now."

Well, that was true for the American housing bubble collapse. If the Banks had simply renegotiated the mortgages that they knew were infeasable and simply written down the value of the houses instead of calling the mortgages due and foreclosing on them, then the bubble wouldn't have burst as quickly or as harshly. "It was in the Banks' best interest to not call in that many mortgages all at once, because the total value of assets fell."

Let's look at Greece. It'd be in the world's best interest to just shut the fuck up and give them a fuckton of money to try and pay off a bunch of their debts (or just forgive them!) and then move on from there.

And now, going back on what I said before as far as what would be in Israel/Iran's best interests...it's entirely possible Israel may attack Iran, even though it's not in their best long-term interests at all.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #88
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
really? They're apart of the Abrahamic faiths (which is what i was referring to); u should educate urself on their connection/relations and similarities in practices and beliefs

thats not what this thread is for but clearly you need some educating.... Go seek it
Posted via RS Mobile
I wouldn't have chipped in on this except for the way that you worded that. As poorly qualified as I may be to speak on the point, I once felt like you until I spent a hellish three years minoring in Religious Studies (might as well use some of that knowledge here, I sure don't in the workplace). While all three religions share a common geographical background, all three approach the core aspects of their religions completely differently. It's not fair to say that they share a "faith" when the tenets of all three vary so wildly. Christians regard sin as the problem and see salvation as the solution. Muslims define the problem as pride that can only be conquered by submission. While Jews and Muslims both speak of sin, salvation from it isn't the goal or necessary. It's easy to believe that all three religions share the same values and want the same things but the more indepth you go the less true that is.

We had a guest lecture from a very interesting prof named Stephen Prothero who wrote a horrifically wordy book you should check out called "God is not One". It's a heavy read but quite informative, especially if you don't have a background in the world's main religions.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #89
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
yes i took religious studies too

and my grandparents/parents are a mix of jewish/christian (anglican, catholic)/muslim

you can harp on the differences till the sun doesnt shine

but you can do the same on the similarities if you're one to strive for peace and understanding amongst all you'll be looking at one over the other

but again this is a subject for another thread
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #90

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Really so everyone agrees Canada should do more to support the US regardless of how criminal the US becomes? It's bad enough that we support what they are doing now with bogus WMD and all but you think it's ok that we take a BIGGER role? Are we not a sovereign nation? Will we become the "dirty goods done cheap" for the US when the citizens there dont want the US to do something?
I agree that the US pushes the envelope in regards to their foreign policy implementation (i.e. send the aircraft carriers to the middle east)....you can call it criminal or whatever you like, but I am happy the US are driving democracy around the world. Can you imagine if Russia or China had the power of the US...the world would be a completely different place....and definitely not better.

The US is one of the youngest countries in the world, but also the most successful financially and socially. Doesn't that tell you something?
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
Posted via RS Mobile

interesting how you say there could be conflict between the US and China over Canada, care to elaborate on that?

when you said that, for some reason, i had a flashback to the scene in Danial Craig's 007 Quantum of Solace, where James Bond is crashing the secret meeting between that organization at the opera in Austria.

some guy said something like: "perhaps the tierra project isn't good use of quantum's time, maybe we should shift our focus to the Canadian",

but yea,

my take on what you said: Canada's a fucking awesome, hospitable country that China will try to take over in the future, which the US will of course, defend?
boss_clad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #92

The big reason we would be fought over is our vast resources. Fresh water, Oil and Gas, minerals, lumber, great expanses of farm land, even things like vast amount of open land to live on, or north west passage for shipping become factors that when put together in 30 years time could be worth war over.

15 Lincoln MKC 2.3L Ecoboost

07 RAV4 Limited V6 *Sold*

90 CRX *Sold*
B16A, larger throttlebody and wires, lowered, 16" rims, front and rear upper strutbars, intake, white gauges, cross drilled brakes, exhaust, other small mods

05 Escape Limited *Sold*
CRX SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #93
rsx

So what's this hear about the USS Enterprise (set to be decommed) in Iran, am I reading to much into this?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #94

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRX SiR View Post
The big reason we would be fought over is our vast resources. Fresh water, Oil and Gas, minerals, lumber, great expanses of farm land, even things like vast amount of open land to live on, or north west passage for shipping become factors that when put together in 30 years time could be worth war over.
Canada is too big to fight a war over. Think about invading the entire country where population is scattered across. Think about protecting important economic areas in Canada. And think about how many more soldier required to maintain order and protect Canada from other foreign invaders.

It's way better to remain peaceful with Canada and just own their resources.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #95
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Canada is too big to fight a war over. Think about invading the entire country where population is scattered across. Think about protecting important economic areas in Canada. And think about how many more soldier required to maintain order and protect Canada from other foreign invaders.
Very wrong, it would actually be easy. 90% of the population, all major cities, and every major hub of the military exist in a belt probably 200mi thick just above the 49th parallel. I know it sucks to accept it but if a major military power wanted control of Canada on our own we would be a cake-walk.
Posted via RS Mobile
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #96

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
This is what happen when someone has beef with another person.. Couldn't say I didn't see this coming.
look like US is fed up with china pirating US movies? lol another excuse for him to use just so we can go to another war?
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by ilovebacon; 02-09-2012 at 03:02 AM.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #97
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Nope he's just playing to the internet censorship lobbyists. Using this as another excuse to federally come in and "censor/enforce" things to take away more freedoms. If he really had an issue against china do you think he would have signed this?
Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA: White House bypasses Senate to ink agreement that could allow Chinese companies to demand ISPs remove web content in US with no legal oversight « The Destructionist

He could level the playing field easily by upping import taxes, manufacturing in american would take off, but no he allows china to sell us shit with fuck all in duty and taxes so Americans would have to compete with slave labour in china where the parents lock kids up to a fence to pee and poo while they work at the factory.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #98
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
He could level the playing field easily by upping import taxes, manufacturing in american would take off, but no he allows china to sell us shit with fuck all in duty and taxes so Americans would have to compete with slave labour in china where the parents lock kids up to a fence to pee and poo while they work at the factory.
This is going well off topic. But Obama is smart enough to know that the US economy DEPENDS on cheap foreign production. Bringing jobs back stateside may be the fix to many problems, but man, is somebody going to have to pay the price big time in order for that to happen. If you jack up import taxes, companies profit margins will shrink. Shareholders see this poor performance, dump stock, already fragile economy tanks even further. Companies with now worthless stock are forced to shut down and nobody has jobs.

This is a long'ish but pretty good read, mostly Apple related but should translate similarly to other companies using overseas production http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/bu...ewanted=1&_r=2 . No slave labour or kids tied up to fences here, but I'm not sure I buy into all of it, Apple is essentially saying they can't make iPhones in the US even if foreign labour was not significantly cheaper than US labour; simply because there aren't enough labourers and mid-level engineers in the US and the workforce is not as 'flexible', whatever you want to translate that to mean.

The way I interpret it, in the end it all comes down to growth and profits--turn in good growth and profits, shareholders are happy, and the economy is happy. If in doing so you are screwing your own people of jobs and supporting a foreign economy then so be it, as long as the growth and profits are there that is the important thing to keep your company alive. And at the end of the day, it still comes down to a simple survival of the fittest.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #99
rsx

Unfair balance in manufacturing? Geez, the US government can subsidize and create incentives to keep that shit here, but instead decided to spend their money on 2 needless wars.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #100

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Unfair balance in manufacturing? Geez, the US government can subsidize and create incentives to keep that shit here, but instead decided to spend their money on 2 needless wars.
needless wars? the war in Iraq was all about oil reserves, are you OK paying double for gas? There is a reason gas in Europe is 2.5x the cost in NA.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote