REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #26
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
holy fuck, the guy that got thrown out the flipped over van... and the police still jumps on him and beats him up
Advertisement
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
THE CHAMPION OF CAPUA

so its Illegal to video record the police in the states? @5:35
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #28
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
I really need to start driving around and walking around with camera's all the time,

police really need to learn their fucking place, and stop abusing power whenever they can
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #29
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I feel bad for the guy with the motorcycle
see.lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
Founder, RS Veteran

youtube. revscene and ysd

I remember back in the days with my sony cybershot and stupid 16s recording limits. Now, you've got these fancy camera phones, gopros, dashboard video recorders, etc. Video recording has drastically improved over the decade.

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightmaskman View Post
so its Illegal to video record the police in the states? @5:35
In some States yes, it's the dumbest load of shit ever. These laws give the impression police are above the law. Police work is done in public and if they are being photographed in public that gives the public the ability to judge their work. Unlike people in the private sector who work for shareholders of individual companies.

There also shouldn't be a presumption of privacy in a public area. I can say however, if you're obstructing the officer's ability to do his job, or putting him in danger, then they should have the right to ask you from refraining. But of course, they would have to make that argument in a court of law and make it clear that a "reasonable officer" would also have done the same thing in that situation.

Also, to make it clear, the video-taping portion is legal. But in some states, AUDIO recordings are illegal because they infringe on some wiretapping laws.

This is a pretty interesting case:

And I can't stress this enough...KNOW YOUR RIGHTS...That's one of the biggest tools one can have in their lives. You should be familiar with your local laws so no one can take advantage of you. Know what a police officer can and cannot do and what you can and cannot do.

One of the most important questions you can ask an officer is, "am I being detained?" If they say yes, they need to read you your rights and get the show on the road...You can call a lawyer then too. If they say no, you just go on your way.

Last edited by parm104; 02-07-2012 at 10:54 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #32
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
yes but I'm sure it made you think next time if you wanted to do something dumb. Look at the positive point that it could always be worse and something like that in the back of your mind will help you make better decisions in the long run.
what do you mean "made you think next time if you wanted to do something dumb"

for us to just "trolololol" was simply kehehaha... another ricer got pulled. / prob speeding/ 2 fast 2 furious..
jokes like that.

it was to ourselves, not as if we were yelling that shit out..
i have no idea what you mean, and probably just a misunderstanding. I hope

or is it wrong for me, as a passenger to LOOK off too the side which the police is giving the guy a ticket?
sorry, i didnt know looking was a crime
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #33
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
If it records the WHOLE incident, then the video is good coz everyone can see and make judegment calls.. if it records during the middle of the incident, then i cant really say its a good recording coz it can be interpret in many ways by many people.

like say you see police beating up someone... record it post it on youtube and bash the police saying its police brutally.. but you dont know why they beat the person up, what if the guy was pointing a gun or something, therefore that video couldnt be or shouldnt be use to make judgement calls, but entertaining, yes...

but there are some police officers who do go on power trips and do use excessive force for the dumbest reasons... i mean if the criminal already gave up and surrendered, then police shouldnt use excessive force...
Old 02-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #34
RS controls my life!

ill believe in good cops the day I see one trying to stop a fellow officer beating on some innocent person. All they gotta do is just say "hey, thats outta line".
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #35
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
If it records the WHOLE incident, then the video is good coz everyone can see and make judegment calls.. if it records during the middle of the incident, then i cant really say its a good recording coz it can be interpret in many ways by many people.

like say you see police beating up someone... record it post it on youtube and bash the police saying its police brutally.. but you dont know why they beat the person up, what if the guy was pointing a gun or something, therefore that video couldnt be or shouldnt be use to make judgement calls, but entertaining, yes...

but there are some police officers who do go on power trips and do use excessive force for the dumbest reasons... i mean if the criminal already gave up and surrendered, then police shouldnt use excessive force...

that makes sense until you see videos where you see cops repeatedly stomp on a guy or take multiple hard jabs at the guy.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #36
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
the only side to this is..its the interwebs, all these people who record things are recording the "bad" of cops and posting it to impose a bad image on them. I bet there's more good out there then evil, but no you don't see that shit posted eh ? Im not saying shit like this doesn't happen (well obvs it happens i just saw the vids LOL) but you gotta remember there's two side to everything

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #37
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Power hungry pigs
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #38

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post

You will never see a police officer beating someone up for pulling a gun on the officer. Whenever police officers feel that a victim possesses a threat with a weapon, they can draw their pistol.

Police officers should go on live training using fake tasers. They are attacked by a dummy person and see at what point they use their tasers. Too soon, fail. Too late, fail. This can give their supervisors a good judgement if the said officer is responsible enough to carry a taser. Same thing with pistols and mace. I think each and every one of these weapons have a moment where you use them. A lot of officers I see in these videos seem to skip the baton and go straight for the mace and taser.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
the only side to this is..its the inter webs, all these people who record things are recording the "bad" of cops and posting it to impose a bad image on them. I bet there's more good out there then evil, but no you don't see that shit posted eh ? Im not saying shit like this doesn't happen (well obvs it happens i just saw the vids LOL) but you gotta remember there's two side to everything
...I guess you missed my post on the first page that showed a over 15 clips of "the good" you speak of.

And even if there is more good than evil in the police departments, that doesn't justify the evil...
Old 02-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #40
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
...I guess you missed my post on the first page that showed a over 15 clips of "the good" you speak of.

And even if there is more good than evil in the police departments, that doesn't justify the evil...
Of course an act of goodness doesn't negate an act of evil. I think the point he was simply trying to make is that there are good people working in every police force out there. It's just that the focus on negative acts performed by certain officers tend to make the general public feel that this is how the entire police force acts. As much as I hate this saying, one bad apple spoils the bunch. I know there are good officers out there. My Sensai was one, and a couple old co-workers are also in the RCMP. They're all good people, but I'm sure there are members of the public that would paint them all with the same brush as the guy in the OP's video.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #41
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Its not even interesting to hear peoples opinions on the police anymore.

Police act a certain way to poor people, and a certain way to wealthy people, and everyone in between gets their relative treatment.

The people who live in affluent neighborhoods, have no criminal records, and generally obey the law, rightfully support the police. They see that side of the coin, and it would be a fruitless effort to convince them otherwise.

Those who live in poor areas, surrounded by ex-cons, and friends who sell/do/make drugs, rightfully dislike the police. They rarely see the good side of the police, and more frequently see the bad.

Yes, there are police officers who are amazingly nice and professional when they enter a whalley crackhouse, and there are also police officers who slap around old ladies in their Mercedes at the local organic grocer.

Overall though, the experience is different, and if you don't think so, you haven't seen both perspectives.

It's annoying to see the well-to-do ivory tower idiots, sitting in their 8000 sq ft. mansions, typing on the imac pro mommy bought them, that the police have a tough job, are always professional, and the criminals deserve what they get. It's equally as annoying to hear the wannabee thugs, 'I gotta buddy who did a dime in Matsqui' Surrey/East Van goofballs who run around saying 'Fuck the police!!' every chance they get.

The only really relevant conclusion one can reach however is; work hard, make some money, and get the fuk out of the ghetto if you want better treatment from the police. Because I would rather be chilling in 8000ft of granite and 12 foot ceilings, than getting asp'd by a cop behind the local KFC for smoking a joint.

This is not a unique phenomenon, it's true is every country in the world.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #42
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
^^ Not sure what to say to you..

Police can be dicks for no reason.. I'll give you an exmaple.
I was about 17/18 driving up Cypress. I was caught speeding by a speed trap (young and dumb not knowing Cypress is a hot spot) and the female officer right off the bat was a complete bitch. The whole experience was a complete gongshow, I was very polite while she just screamed at me. She asked me my speed and I said exactly how fast I was going (86 in a 60) and she said: "Bullshit, I clocked you going over 95. I should tow your car right fucking now. But because I'm nice I won't give you an excessive ticket."

Being more knowledgable now.. I would've taken that attitude to court. I knew EXACTLY how fast I was going and admitted it to a dick of a female officer. I was very calm, and EXTREMELY polite. Some officers are just dicks.

On the other side of the coin, I've met very nice officers.

But overall in my experiences, I've dealt with too many aggressive police officers then good ones.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #43
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jACE View Post
I remember back in the days with my sony cybershot and stupid 16s recording limits. Now, you've got these fancy camera phones, gopros, dashboard video recorders, etc. Video recording has drastically improved over the decade.
Ours was the last generation to know privacy. Back in the 90's you could get away with a lot of things because there were no cameras around, and if someone brought one out it was probably massive and easy to spot. These days everyone has a tiny little camera in their phone with the ability to capture hours of footage.

We were lucky. The current generation doesn't have the luxury to have their stupid antics "forgotten".
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Ours was the last generation to know privacy. Back in the 90's you could get away with a lot of things because there were no cameras around, and if someone brought one out it was probably massive and easy to spot. These days everyone has a tiny little camera in their phone with the ability to capture hours of footage.

We were lucky. The current generation doesn't have the luxury to have their stupid antics "forgotten".
You're making it sound like that's a good thing. We don't need the "luxury" of having our stupid actions covered up. I'd rather have them exposed so people pay the consequences of being delinquent and dumb in society.

If it weren't for cameras, we wouldn't be racking up suspects from last years riots. If it weren't for cameras, we would've never known the full story to the Dziekanski taser incident.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #45
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
You're making it sound like that's a good thing. We don't need the "luxury" of having our stupid actions covered up. I'd rather have them exposed so people pay the consequences of being delinquent and dumb in society.
I'm pretty sure that this is what it would have been like in Nazi Germany if they had access to cel phone cameras...

While you've gone to the extreme with your thinking, the rest of the world doesn't necessarily work like that. Most of us play within the rules set out by society, because let's face it, jail sucks. I'm talking about stupid antics like making out with a fat chick at the bar, or riding a moped, not city wide destruction on an anarchistic level because we lost a hockey game.

So that means that you're either delusional, or so absolutely in control of your life that spending more than 15 minutes in your presence would cause a lesser being to commit seppuku as they realize just how horrible they are compared to you.

Which is it?

Quote:
If it weren't for cameras, we wouldn't be racking up suspects from last years riots. If it weren't for cameras, we would've never known the full story to the Dziekanski taser incident.
All praise be to cameras?!

Without cel phone cameras, we also wouldn't have seen Miley Cyrus and Michael Phelps smoking a bong, or Britney Spears haggard fajopoli. We wouldn't have seen Ghaddafi's beaten body moments before being sodomized by a sword. Cameras do what they were designed for, which is to capture pictures in motion. The problem is, every idiot with a credit rating and a cel contract has one now. The minute any picture hits the internet, it's out there forever. Do you want that? Some goof takes a pic while you're pooping, and from that day forward you're a meme.

You completely missed the whole point of my argument which was simply that no one has true privacy anymore. I was pissing in the forest a few weeks back while mtn biking, and my buddy snapped a pic and posted it to his facebook. That's the sort of shit I'm talking about. So put down the jack boots and come back to what was once a free Canadian society. This isn't Beijing, although these days the political climate is looking more and more like it...
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #46
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Some goof takes a pic while you're pooping, and from that day forward you're a meme.
:noob:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #47
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
And I can't stress this enough...KNOW YOUR RIGHTS...That's one of the biggest tools one can have in their lives. You should be familiar with your local laws so no one can take advantage of you. Know what a police officer can and cannot do and what you can and cannot do.
Qualifier: KNOW your rights... don't THINK you know your rights. Almost every thread in Police Forum proves that the vast majority THINK they know their rights but actually have no fucking clue.

And what you see on all those US crime shows, DO NOT DEPICT YOUR RIGHTS IN CANADA. I'd be surprised if half of them accurately depict your rights in the US, for that matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #48
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

You realize guys in the states have been charged to jail for 75 years for filming cops?
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/illi...ilming-police/

So the feds can spy on you and eavesdrop all they want but if you do it then it's throw away the key.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #49
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

holy shit that one black guy kept getting nailed in the legs looked like he broken in many parts with that many shots to the leg
daica-viet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #50

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that this is what it would have been like in Nazi Germany if they had access to cel phone cameras...

While you've gone to the extreme with your thinking, the rest of the world doesn't necessarily work like that. Most of us play within the rules set out by society, because let's face it, jail sucks. I'm talking about stupid antics like making out with a fat chick at the bar, or riding a moped, not city wide destruction on an anarchistic level because we lost a hockey game.

So that means that you're either delusional, or so absolutely in control of your life that spending more than 15 minutes in your presence would cause a lesser being to commit seppuku as they realize just how horrible they are compared to you.

Which is it?

All praise be to cameras?!

Without cel phone cameras, we also wouldn't have seen Miley Cyrus and Michael Phelps smoking a bong, or Britney Spears haggard fajopoli. We wouldn't have seen Ghaddafi's beaten body moments before being sodomized by a sword. Cameras do what they were designed for, which is to capture pictures in motion. The problem is, every idiot with a credit rating and a cel contract has one now. The minute any picture hits the internet, it's out there forever. Do you want that? Some goof takes a pic while you're pooping, and from that day forward you're a meme.

You completely missed the whole point of my argument which was simply that no one has true privacy anymore. I was pissing in the forest a few weeks back while mtn biking, and my buddy snapped a pic and posted it to his facebook. That's the sort of shit I'm talking about. So put down the jack boots and come back to what was once a free Canadian society. This isn't Beijing, although these days the political climate is looking more and more like it...
LOL dude you're talking about shit being posted on Facebook after you do stupid things and we're talking about holding public servants accountable for their actions in public...

You're whining about your friends taking pictures of you while you're taking a piss and then blaming it on technology and cameras? It's your idiot friends who did it, not the camera...So now, because your friends can take pictures of you and put them on Facebook, you're no longer living in a "free Canadian society?" What the hell are you smoking?

And to answer your question, hanging out with me for 15 minutes probably would make you feel horrible. I don't do anything in public that I wouldn't want other people to see if I do something shameful, then that's a decision that I've made. My Facebook is open because I have nothing to hide. I am who I am, and if it's on my Facebook, that's because it's a reflection upon me. If someone wants to judge me based on that, by all means, I think it's a fair reflection. After all, I control what's on my Facebook and what's not.

And good comparison comparing Miley Cyrus (someone who LIVES IN THE PUBLIC EYE) with people who are taking part in riots. Yup, I see the connection. I honestly don't care if Miley Cyrus, Phelps, or any other public figure is portrayed by cameras in a negative way.