REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
An Article for Dr. Mike / Scamthony: B.C. man pleads guilty to selling vintage cars

B.C. man pleads guilty to selling vintage cars he didn't own

B.C. man pleads guilty to selling vintage cars he didn't own

CALGARY — A man from Vernon, B.C., has pleaded guilty to 10 counts of fraud for selling vintage cars he did not own through eBay and other Internet sites in 2007 and 2008.

According to a statement of admitted facts entered as an exhibit by Crown prosecutor Jenny Rees on Monday, Akthem Saadi (Robert) Yousif agreed to sell a total of 14 such vehicles and accepted more than $333,000 in whole or as deposit from two victims in Sweden and eight victims in seven different states in the United States.

Yousif, 35, would agree to ship the vehicles to the U.S. for pickup, but never did. And once he received the funds he refused to answer victims' phone calls or emails and did not return the deposits sent to his accounts at Calgary banks and Paypal.

According to the court document, Yousif did not own any of the cars, but provided pictures on eBay and through email to the victims.

He pleaded guilty through lawyer Kim Ross on the third day of a scheduled seven-day trial before Justice Colleen Kenny at Court of Queen's Bench.

The scam's first victim, Jonas Eliasson of Sweden, initially agreed to pay Yousif $34,500 for a 1959 Cadillac. In conversation with the accused, he made deals on two other cars for a total of $44,000 plus $2,000 for transportation costs to send the vehicles to Post Falls, Idaho.

Eliasson would then have them transported to Los Angeles, where he would pick them up and arrange to have them shipped to Sweden.

When he arrived in L.A., Eliasson was told the shipping company had no knowledge of his cars. He never did receive them or get a return on the $80,000 he had shipped Yousif.

dslade@calgaryherald.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
more details there were 2 people charged and it was from back in 2008

Vernon man and woman charged with vintage-car fraud

Quote:
Vernon man and woman charged with vintage-car fraud

A Vernon man and woman have been charged with bilking 11 vintage car fans in the U.S. and Sweden out of $400,000 in an international Internet scam, police say.

By The Vancouver Province April 16, 2008 Be the first to post a comment

Staff reporter

A Vernon man and woman have been charged with bilking 11 vintage car fans in the U.S. and Sweden out of $400,000 in an international Internet scam, police say.

"They used Internet auction sites like EBay, Craigslist and an auction site called Hemmings Auto News," said Calgary police

Const. Dean Nichol yesterday. "Examples of cars they were offering included vintage Cadillac Coupe DeVilles, a 1957 Chevy and a 1940 Ford Roadster."

Calgary police worked with police agencies around the globe, including the RCMP, the U.S. Secret Service, the FBI, the Canada Revenue Agency, Canada Border Services and the Swedish National Police, to crack the case.

The scam artists posted phony pictures of the cars online and "sold" them for an average of $30,000, he said.

"The victims were basically asked to send money by wire transfer from foreign countries into Canada, particularly Calgary," he said. "They would wire the money into these shell companies, which had accounts set up at various banks."

He said the victims would either never see the vehicle or, in one or two cases, the vehicles that were delivered were "completely derelict and the total opposite of anything that was advertised."

The nine-month probe resulted in more than a dozen search warrants being executed for bank, phone and Internet records.

"With Internet crimes, the police are forced to treat it like any other crime scene," said Nichol. "An offender will both leave something and take something away from the scene. Although these offenders did use some sophisticated methods to try to avoid discovery, they left a few key footprints and we also traced them through the money trail."

No money has been recovered.

Police raided two homes in Vernon and one in Kelowna. The probe is continuing to determine the involvement of a third suspect.

Charged with a total of 16 counts of fraud over $5,000 and theft over $5,000 is Akthem Saadi Yousif, 31, an Iraqi citizen. Charged with one count each of fraud and theft over $5,000 is Allana Nicole Austring, 31, a Canadian citizen. Both will be transferred to Calgary to appear in court.

dinwood@png.canwest.com
© (c) CanWest MediaWorks Publications Inc.

the pair are also involved in some other case in Alberta where it looks like his co accused was seeking indemnity back in 2010 http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...1QprUQ&cad=rja
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
came into this thread thinking scamthony was finally getting prosecuted
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
came into this thread thinking scamthony was finally getting prosecuted
Same lol false hope
Posted via RS Mobile
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Title is misleading, op is a phaggot?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I think you are real one

Go blame SkinnyPupp for limiting Title size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Title is misleading, op is a phaggot?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
How does "Akthem Saadi (Robert) Yousif" become or relate to scamthony in any way?
Posted via RS Mobile
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Wow misleading title to the max..
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

^

didn't know what to expect coming in here
MK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
I read the thread title okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,669 Times in 147 Posts
title is an article for dr mike saying there is hope. The "bc man" is not the one he wants but did something similar
sindragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

An article FOR Dr. Mike/Scamthony. I understood it just fine. We just have too many people who seem to not be able to read English properly on here.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote