REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You can't handle the truth. Editor gets pwnd!

First part of the story....

SELF-RIGHTEOUS COPS WHO TREAT INNOCENT TAXPAYERS LIKE CRIMINALS IS UNACCEPTABLE
Posted on 08 February 2012 by Keith Lacey

For 20 minutes this past Friday night, I was treated like a criminal and presumed guilty until proven innocent, which is not how the law is supposed to work in this country, especially when you have done absolutely nothing wrong.

But, according to Cpl. Ryan S. McLeod of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, he had every right to pull me over, treat me with basically zero respect and humiliate me in front of my girlfriend, who was so upset she got physically sick and was in tears hours later, just because he believes he has the power to do whatever he likes.

After a long week at work, me and my girlfriend headed to a local restaurant/pub to grab a meal with some friends and share a few stories and have a couple of laughs.

After consuming a meal, we made the decision to grab a bottle of wine at the adjacent liquor store to spend a nice, quiet evening at home.

However, seconds after pulling out of the liquor store parking lot, Cpl. McLeod flashed his cherry tops and pulled me over.

When I asked him very politely what the problem seemed to be, he told me he had pulled me over because my license plate was dirty, which remains as a very lame excuse as he proceeded instantly to asking me about whether I had consumed any alcohol.

I responded very politely, once again, and told him I had gone out after work for a meal with my girlfriend and some friends and he had no right to pull me over when I had done nothing wrong.

When I suggested to him I was not displaying any signs of impairment, I did not weave or speed and was wearing my seatbelt and he had no right to be interrogating me like this, he made it very clear he was going to make me undergo the humiliation of having to undergo a roadside breath test.

He had no reasonable or probable grounds to be doing any of this, but yet he persisted to show just how much power he had.

Of course, you don’t have any choice but to oblige or else face some very dire consequences whenever a police officer asks you do anything in this country (that’s another story for another day), so I politely stepped outside my truck, listened to his instructions and blew into the screening device.

When the readings registered, I could honestly tell Cpl. McLeod was disappointed as the readings were, how do I say this, pretty much close to zero.

He never said sorry, never apologized, informed me I was “Ok to drive” and more or less appeared ready to waltz back to his vehicle and carry on his merry way and harass somebody else I’m thinking.

But now I was upset and I made it very clear to him for a third time that pulling me over for having a dirty license plate was a very lame excuse because his police cruiser was 20 feet from my truck and I could read the plate no problem at all.

What Cpl. McLeod wouldn’t admit was the truth. What really happened was he sat in his vehicle outside a licensed establishment - which he kept calling a bar and I insisted was a restaurant - and then watched me and my girlfriend head inside to buy a bottle of wine, so he instantly presumed I must have been drinking.

After the traumatizing experience of having to go through a breath test for doing absolutely nothing wrong and registering a reading so low it was laughable, I had had enough of his ridiculous treatment and told him I wanted his badge number, name and business card.

At this point, Cpl. McLeod commented to me about “not giving him attitude” because I dared speak back to him about his unfair treatment.

There was a lot of attitude shown our encounter up until that point and none of it came from me. I’ve been a journalist for 27 years and my integrity as a writer and reporter of the truth has never been questioned and I’m not going to let some stranger with a badge, gun and attitude take that away from me.

I’m 50 years old, was polite and co-operative, showed no signs at all of any impairment, yet this experienced officer couldn’t help himself and had to humiliate and embarrass me just because he can.

It’s disgusting.

When I left the Bonnyville Nouvelle newspaper to come to Osoyoos, Sgt. Luis Gandolfi, RCMP detachment commander, phoned to say thanks for all my hard work and wish me good luck. When I worked in my hometown of Sudbury, Ontario for 20 years, police chief Alex McCauley became a good friend.

I have no issues with police, but I have great issue with Cpl. McLeod’s treatment and what happened to me Friday night.

When I later informed him I was the editor of the local newspaper and was going to write about our little episode, he finally shut up and showed me some respect. And one final time, I told him he had no right to pull me over.

While he was a lot quieter and less cocky, he kept repeating his mantra he was a police officer and he could basically pull me over whenever he likes for whatever reason he justifies.

I found out this past weekend from other friends I’ve already made in Osoyoos this kind of incident happens on a regular basis in this community and it’s not the first time this particular officer has been involved.

I know I speak for a lot of frustrated citizens out there when I say enough is enough. Sitting in the parking lot of a licensed establishment and pulling people over for whatever lame reason you come up with, is not what citizens want or expect from the police.

This is a free country, not a police state.

If someone is speeding, driving erratically or blows through a red light, of course they can expect to be pulled over by the police. If a RIDE spotcheck is set up, they have proven to be an effective and excellent way of catching drunk drivers.

No one condones drunk driving either, but that’s not the point. I wouldn’t be writing or expecting any sympathy if I was caught drunk driving. But I didn’t know going for a meal and having a pint on a Friday night was against any law in this country.

Cpl. McLeod can justify his actions any way he likes, but I’m not buying what he’s selling and I know most people out there won’t be either.

It’s incidents like this and officers like this, who are loaded with arrogance and self-rightousness, who give all the good officers out there, who are in the majority, a truly bad name.

Sitting in a parking lot outside a restaurant that serves liquor on a Friday night, then lying about the reason you’re pulling someone over and humiliating him in front of his girlfriend isn’t what I want my taxpayer dollars being spent on.

I suggest to Cpl. McLeod you get out there and catch the bad guys. I’m not one of them.

And if you’re not cut out for treating people with dignity and respect, even though you have all this so-called power you’re so easy to abuse, perhaps you find another profession.

When I told my girlfriend I’m sick and tired of police officers who feel they are free to do whatever they please whenever they want without consequence and I was going to write about this incident and let the people of Osoyoos know what’s going on, she was worried this officer “might make my life a living hell.”

I told her, “don’t worry honey, I’m not a criminal and I don’t break the law” and I refuse to live my life being worried about a person hired to serve and protect, not bother and harass innocent taxpayers who pay their salary.

I also told her if I ever run into Cpl McLeod again and he pulls this kind of crap on me again, I’ll treat him with the same respect he showed me last Friday night. Zero.

And I’ll be glad to let everyone in this community I’m now proud to call home know all about it.

************************************************** *****************************

Cops are just a bunch of power trippers harassing innocent people, right? Here is what really happened....

I read your article wherein you discuss that, after having consumed beer at a local pub, you were stopped by a police officer and humiliated by having to comply with the officers lawful request to do a roadside test to ensure you were not impaired. You go on to say he harassed and intimidated you and "abused his position of authority". Your allegations are very serious and certainly cast the officer, who you name nine times in your article, and the RCMP in a very negative light.

As the Editor of a local newspaper, your readers must feel it important to know that when you report something in your paper, it is factual. I imagine your credibility and that of the Osoyoos Times relies heavily on that.

Well sir, I'm very pleased to report that there is a video of this incident. The video was taken from the police car and includes audio of the entire interaction between you and the police officer. I have just watched the video and observed a very calm and professional member of the RCMP doing his job. The RCMP has proudly served the people of Osoyoos for a very long time and I fear your one sided article could adversely, and incorrectly, impact their view of their local RCMP. Thus, I suggest that we post this video on-line so the good people of Osoyoos and others can make their own determination of what occurred. This is the type of transparency British Columbians expect from the RCMP.

Alternatively, I would be willing to drive to Osoyoos, at my own expense and on my own time, to show the people of Osoyoos this video. Perhaps we could capitalize on this opportunity by publicly discussing the important issue of impaired driving. As a new resident in Osoyoos, you may be interested to know that the RCMP has conducted extensive community consultation and traffic safety, including impaired driving, has been raised as a serious concern. I think the residents would be pleased to learn that their police are working hard to ensure that no lives are lost due to impaired driving. The residents of Osoyoos will also learn that this particular police officer carries a photo in his duty bag of a young girl who was killed by an impaired driver. This police officer, who you so freely defame using your position, also has extensive training and experience with impaired driving investigations. He has, no doubt, saved many lives by taking drunk drivers off the road using the exact same lawful means as the night he stopped you.

Perhaps, before slandering an Osoyoos resident and member of the local RCMP, you'll do some research just as the member suggested to you during the stop. In this case, it may have included reading the decision of the Supreme Court of Canada in R v. Ladouceur (1990).

Admittedly, I am not a regular reader of the Osoyoos Times but if I was I would be troubled by the seeming motivation of an article written by the new Editor of my local paper. Allow me to quote you from the video sir. I am the editor of the newspaper and you will see the powers that I have.

If there was one positive to your negative article, it was a reminder to me of the many baseless and malicious allegations our members must constantly face while carrying out their duties. Fortunately, in this case, the video removes any doubt that the police officer's actions were professional and respectful.

I look forward to a retraction or correction and to, potentially, facilitating the public's viewing of this video.

Supt Ray Bernoties
Advertisement
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Hopefully the paper finds a new editor and he soon becomes a former resident of Osoyoos.

Having lived in a small town with drinking and driving problems, having a cruiser parked outside the local pub is the best way to combat the issue.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

WOW......I didn't even read the retort. Just the initial story alone was already ignorant enough.

If you have nothing to hide, then what's the issue with spending 10mins with a cop to ensure everything's cool?

I've been roadside breathalyzed 4 times (never a problem, never had more than 0.01). I've never had a problem cooperating.

pfft. morons these days.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I think it would have been funny to see just the original article posted... then the responses... and then the real story. I'm sure ... someone... would have had some choice words to say.

Guess he'll keep his licence plate nice and clean now..??
Old 02-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
When I asked him very politely what the problem seemed to be, he told me he had pulled me over because my license plate was dirty, which remains as a very lame excuse as he proceeded instantly to asking me about whether I had consumed any alcohol.

I responded very politely, once again, and told him I had gone out after work for a meal with my girlfriend and some friends and he had no right to pull me over when I had done nothing wrong.
Wow, this sounds so familiar... how often do we see this right here on RS?

I'd love to see the video - bet dollars to donuts that the editor was snarky with the cop right off the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 4,079 Times in 295 Posts
yes im looking forward to the video too.
socialenemy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Wow, this sounds so familiar... how often do we see this right here on RS?
In every other police thread from the "fuck-the-pigs" camp. Somehow all those "innocent" people on RS who got pulled over always have those stories saying they themselves were sooooo polite and they haven't done anything wrong and their cars were "not even modded"; yet the officers are all assholes, power-tripping pigs who are under the quota, got nothing to do.

Check out the 'rolling stop' thread in the Auto Chat Forum. Got pulled over because didn't stop at the stop sign, want to dispute.

When I used to live in Texas, the cops have advertising billboards read 'Drink, Drive, Go To Jail". Forget about ticket or impound, they send yo dumb asses straight to jail, none of this non-sense arguing, going to the media BS.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Check out the 'rolling stop' thread in the Auto Chat Forum. Got pulled over because didn't stop at the stop sign, want to dispute.
I hope more officers use YouTube to upload videos of offenders in action. Hopefully knowing you'll be publicly shamed will prevent some of these "innocent" people from being douchebags then claiming they were nothing but polite.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Or it goes the other way around and some officers are shown to be the power tripping arses that take criminals to Stanley Park and beats the crap out of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
LOL pretty sure this editor didn't get any from his date so he's blaming the breathalyser for cock-blocking him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, those who have nothing to hide, won't have any problem complying with SIMPLE requests. We all have jobs to do, and a little cooperation from the public sure can go a long way.

Also, a double standard is often applied to situations like this. A drunk driver crashes and hurts someone, people cry "why aren't the police stopping them! Why aren't they doing road blocks! How come they're not using breathalysers!" Once you get pulled over, it's all "this is a violation of my rights, I'm being picked on."
Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
RS Peace Officer

When I used to live in Texas, the cops have advertising billboards read 'Drink, Drive, Go To Jail". Forget about ticket or impound, they send yo dumb asses straight to jail, none of this non-sense arguing, going to the media BS.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Texas...Ron White the comedian says about Texas...in the rest of the country they are debating the death penalty and say it is cruel and unusual punishment....in Texas they got an express checkout lane.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
RS Peace Officer

As a former media type, trust this observation.....if you are the editor of the weekly paper in Osoyoos...it's not because they already filled the editor in chief job at the NY Times when you applied. It's more likely that the street sweeper's job got filled as first choice.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #13

Quote:
If you're going to be a newspaper editor and publish rants about the cops... might wanna make sure you know the law first, before you make yourself out to be a real douche.

Quote:
When I later informed him I was the editor of the local newspaper and was going to write about our little episode, he finally shut up and showed me some respect.
Wow, who actually does this? This is even dumber than... oh, I dunno, calling to harass some online store over a pricing misprint and telling them you have your lawyer listening in on the call?

Quote:
LOL pretty sure this editor didn't get any from his date so he's blaming the breathalyser for cock-blocking him.
He was looking forward to his own breathalyser getting a little action
Quote:
Old 02-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
I subscribe to Revscene

I say post the video on YouTube and let the public be the judge.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Ouch haha. That's bad.

Living in the area, and having lived in Oliver which is 15 minutes from Osoyoos, I can say that most of the time when I or my friends are pulled over, the officer is far too disrespectful. If I get pulled over other than from a road block, then yes, chances are I probably did something wrong or it was a random pull over. But even at times going through road blocks, sometimes I am treated like a criminal for no reason. But that's not to say there are not polite respectful cops out there either because I have had nice conversations with them as well.

The thing is, they are just people like everyone else. Most of the time, people will only talk about the situations with a cop if it was an issue, not many people talk about the polite and nice officers that pull them over. Why would they, right?

Follow Me on Instagram @ tommtomm84

02 BMW M3 - Supercharged
94 BMW 318 - M3'd and M50'd - SOLD
90 Integra GS-Turbo - 11.180 @ 140.86mph DOT Tires - SOLD
Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #16
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Teggin View Post
Ouch haha. That's bad.

Living in the area, and having lived in Oliver which is 15 minutes from Osoyoos, I can say that most of the time when I or my friends are pulled over, the officer is far too disrespectful. If I get pulled over other than from a road block, then yes, chances are I probably did something wrong or it was a random pull over. But even at times going through road blocks, sometimes I am treated like a criminal for no reason. But that's not to say there are not polite respectful cops out there either because I have had nice conversations with them as well.

The thing is, they are just people like everyone else. Most of the time, people will only talk about the situations with a cop if it was an issue, not many people talk about the polite and nice officers that pull them over. Why would they, right?
look at what you drive. you look like you're 15, and in your integra you look like a street racing punk teenager, and in your bimmer a drug dealer, of course you're going to be looked at a little closer.

when i got pulled over in my old fart piped rice rocket or bmw or on my bike, i get treated a little different than when im in my truck. call it profiling or stereotyping or whatever you want, but thats just how it is. like like how when i was a punk kid hanging around downtown smoking pot i used to get mad saying "why are the cops always hastling us" now that im an adult i realize its because the punk kids are the ones who are usually causing shit.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #17
RS Peace Officer

Latest update...

KELOWNA - The Osoyoos Times plans to write a retraction on the editorial that slammed a local police officer, CHBC News has learned.

However, Keith Lacey, editor of the Osoyoos Times, says the newspaper will not be writing an apology.

Lacey wrote a scathing editorial Wednesday about an incident where he says he was unfairly pulled by a RCMP officer over for a road check.

The editorial attracted the attention of the B.C. RCMP, who responded with their own statement Thursday night, saying they have a video of the incident and will release it pending permission from Lacey.

The editor declined an on-camera interview with CHBC News but says he maintains his story and he was not intoxicated when he wrote the editorial.

Lacey says he plans to correct parts of the editorial that the RCMP officer involved has issues with and while he does not regret what he wrote, he wishes that none of this happened.

When asked whether he was afraid he might lost his job over the incident, Lacey admits it could happen.

There is still no word yet on if or when the video might be released by the RCMP.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
like how when i was a punk kid hanging around downtown smoking pot i used to get mad saying "why are the cops always hastling us" now that im an adult i realize its because the punk kids are the ones who are usually causing shit.
Ain't maturity great?

When my old GLC was white with a few little rust spots around the edges, I never got hassled. When I painted over the rust spots with flat black Tremclad, I was getting stopped every couple weeks, and every time the cops wanted to check my horn, lights, brakes, etc., because the car LOOKED like a POS with big black splotches on it. When I finally spray-bombed the whole thing flat black, I stopped getting pulled over. Coincidence? I don't think so. Am I complaining? No... if I saw my car on the road at that intermediate point, I'd think, "What a rustbucket, I bet that thing's falling apart" too... everyone else here would as well.
Quote:
Old 02-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
The editor declined an on-camera interview with CHBC News but says he maintains his story and he was not intoxicated when he wrote the editorial.
LOL

He did register a reading on the breathalyzer, even if it was low, so he had been drinking. I've blown a 0.02 and a 0.03 before, and while I knew I was going to blow way under, I wasn't mad the officer was doing his job.

If he doesn't release the video I hope the newspaper fires him. The media should be transparent. If he's going to hide behind his privacy while attacking the local police force he doesn't deserve to be editor.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #20

Heard on the radio yesterday that the RCMP was not going to release the video... I suppose they consider a retraction to be sufficient. Although that might change when the retraction is actually published...

Kinda like listening to Bill vander Zalm this morning... jury found him guilty for defaming Ted Hughes, found something like eight of eleven statements made in his book were false... yet he says he did nothing wrong and stands behind what he wrote...
Quote:
Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
RS Peace Officer

I hope Zam has to pay HST on that settlement he has to pay. THAT would be the ultimate irony!!!
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
LOL

He did register a reading on the breathalyzer, even if it was low, so he had been drinking. I've blown a 0.02 and a 0.03 before, and while I knew I was going to blow way under, I wasn't mad the officer was doing his job.

If he doesn't release the video I hope the newspaper fires him. The media should be transparent. If he's going to hide behind his privacy while attacking the local police force he doesn't deserve to be editor.

The media should be but are the very opposite most of the time. They have personal agendas but are never held accountable for what they do....unless it's is so outrageous that it goes viral...like Conrad Black in London or this situation. Without the video you know he would never even consider any sort of a qualified "correction".
Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #23

Quote:
I hope Zam has to pay HST on that settlement he has to pay. THAT would be the ultimate irony!!!
I was thinking the same thing

Quote:
The media should be but are the very opposite most of the time.
Which is also ironic as they're the ones who scream the loudest about getting it from politicians.
Quote:
Old 02-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

Can someone find the apology this article references?

Osoyoos Times apologizes for 'slanderous' RCMP article - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I'm sure this editor from now on will ensure to religiously clean his license plate.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote