REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

People in Vancouver should realize that driving an automobile on the roads is a privilege. Stop complaining, and start getting familiar with the transit system. Take a look at all the expensive metropolitan areas in Europe, Asia, or even America, you will notice that not everyone could afford to drive. And what do they rely on for transportation? The public transport (subways, trains, buses, etc). Vancouver is no exception.
Advertisement

Last edited by niu99; 02-26-2012 at 03:26 PM.
niu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #27
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niu99 View Post
People in Vancouver should realize that driving an automobile on the roads is a privilege. Stop complaining, and start getting familiar with the transit system.
I suggest you give transit outside Vancouver and Richmond a shot.

In some areas of the GVRD, driving isn't optional.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #28
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
People in Vancouver should realize that driving an automobile on the roads is a privilege. Stop complaining, and start getting familiar with the transit system.
Sure if you live like 5 to 10mins from a skytrain station it will be ok to work. However, if you aren't near a skytrain station good luck waiting for the bus to come by every 30+mins if you miss one. You will also have to wait longer if it is not during rush hour. Also, bus/skytrain service ends at like what 12:30am in weekends? Good luck with such a relible system. A drive to metortorwn from my house is like 10mins while if I were to take the bus it becomes 40mins.

The issue with our transit system is that only if you live near a skytrain station it will actually make life easier, otherwiese using transit is such a pain.

If transit wants ppl to use it more they should first make the existing bus routes better, provide more buses per route, increase hourse in which it operates and get rib off the whole zone systems.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #29
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Wait, what? Why am I being referenced here? Tolling has been around forever, and Canada is way behind the times when it comes to the rest of the world. If you think I support Translink and ICBC, you're mistaken. I support tolls. Re-read my post earlier and notice how I said I would support tolls, so long at Translink was not involved. Read before you post.

I think he was talking about Kevin Falcon...
RS_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #30
RS controls my life!

It's definitely a privilege to use the road but I don't like the way they use taxes for a transit system I don't use. I don't want to use a system where's is all about taxing drivers who....

1.Pay for a car and pay taxes on that car.
2.Pay insurance and taxes on those premiums.
3. Go through the test fees from L to class 5 and the time and effort from 16 years old to 20 years plus the instructor I needed in order to pass ICBC exams.
4. Maintenance on our cars every couple of months and taxes from that maintenance.
5. $140-500 deductibles when we're hit by morons.
6. We pay taxes like PST, GST, and "CARBON TAX" on gasoline.
7. Tuners mod their cars providing shops with income.

... Stimulate the economy.

Stupid Transit!
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
The public should open up an organization that implements new taxes and fees for government officials.

Tired of these idiots taking the money I work so hard for. Wasting billions on things that no nothing but provide a more cushy job and retirements for this over payed idiots.

Put up more toll cameras, watch what happens.....going to cost a lot to keep replacing all those busted cameras that keep showing up.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #32

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
How is it that using roads is a privilege? Your taxes have gone to pay for all of the roads you drive on.....this is not a privilege to use what you pay for, neither is using any other service that your tax dollars go towards.

Using things like the Golden Ears bridge which did not, directly, get payed for using your tax dollars is another topic all together. Despite the fact that the money that went to building that bridge did come from taxes that you pay for in gas as well as use of the transit system.

This government it a joke, bottom line, if you want more of my money then you better work a hell of a lot harder for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
It's definitely a privilege to use the road but I don't like the way they use taxes for a transit system I don't use. I don't want to use a system where's is all about taxing drivers who....

1.Pay for a car and pay taxes on that car.
2.Pay insurance and taxes on those premiums.
3. Go through the test fees from L to class 5 and the time and effort from 16 years old to 20 years plus the instructor I needed in order to pass ICBC exams.
4. Maintenance on our cars every couple of months and taxes from that maintenance.
5. $140-500 deductibles when we're hit by morons.
6. We pay taxes like PST, GST, and "CARBON TAX" on gasoline.
7. Tuners mod their cars providing shops with income.

... Stimulate the economy.

Stupid Transit!

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #33
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Wait, what? Why am I being referenced here? Tolling has been around forever, and Canada is way behind the times when it comes to the rest of the world. If you think I support Translink and ICBC, you're mistaken. I support tolls. Re-read my post earlier and notice how I said I would support tolls, so long at Translink was not involved. Read before you post.
I meant Kevin Falcon! The Finance Minister.. I will edit my post

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #34
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I suggest you give transit outside Vancouver and Richmond a shot.

In some areas of the GVRD, driving isn't optional.
does white rock even have bus service

interesting page to look up bc public salaries from 2010 - http://www.vancouversun.com/business.../advanced.html

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #35
RS controls my life!

Basically it's a privilage to drive a car because all of the taxes that the government generate from it.

But it seems to me that it's a right to use cheap ass transit.

That's why most of the people I know use a car to get around and people who use the bus bum rides from people for have cars with the bus isn't around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
How is it that using roads is a privilege? Your taxes have gone to pay for all of the roads you drive on.....this is not a privilege to use what you pay for, neither is using any other service that your tax dollars go towards.

Using things like the Golden Ears bridge which did not, directly, get payed for using your tax dollars is another topic all together. Despite the fact that the money that went to building that bridge did come from taxes that you pay for in gas as well as use of the transit system.

This government it a joke, bottom line, if you want more of my money then you better work a hell of a lot harder for it.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
How I Mod your mother

"A confidential TransLink report says charging tolls on many more roads in Metro Vancouver could raise the hundreds of millions of dollars needed to make our transit system work."

Fuck that shit. Thats what they said when they jacked up bus fare prices. I don't see any less complaining about our transit system which obviously means it STILL isnt working
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #37
RS controls my life!

They should hike up fares for people who are not students, Install gates for getting on to the platform, and getting rid of the transit officers with issue tickets to fare invaders.

I people actually paid the fares we wouldn't need transit officers in the first place.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #38
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
does white rock even have bus service

interesting page to look up bc public salaries from 2010 - Public Sector Salaries - Vancouver Sun
White Rock has bus service in most areas.

Much of Langley has no bus service and in the areas there is it's very limited, yet residents pay GVRD taxes.

I'm a devout environmentalist, I love public transit, but the further east you travel the more useless it becomes. If my life was in Vancouver, I wouldn't own a car and would transit everywhere. I wish driving were a privilege, because believe me, there are other things I would rather spend hundreds of dollars a month on.

Last edited by MindBomber; 02-26-2012 at 01:01 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #39
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
The more money you give the government, the more they spend on useless shit, thus requiring more money.

Reference: Europe.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #40
I came, I saw, I conquered.

What is a "betch plox"?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #41

Thanked 2,050 Times in 551 Posts
holy shit.. my blood is boiling... my work doesnt even involve driving everywhere, but i can imagine... I drive at about 20,000KM a year... even @ 6.7cents /km thats just absurd, i would be paying $1340 a year... or about an extra $111 a month.... I dont know... but FUCK am i furious...

people have to realize when you shift starts @ 7am, no transit is gonna help you get there on time in the morning....

ie. my mom has no option but to drive, she works @ Richmond and we live in Vancouver, if she was to take transit to work that is like 3 transfers, 2-zone pass, and plus the bus don't work early enough for her to make it to work on time....

honestly... this is fucked...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #42
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I guess the money to buy more overpriced pieces of shit art that brings no cultural value except uglifying the city has to come from somewhere...
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #43
I subscribe to Revscene

Someone needs to put a hit out on that guy... Scum bag
Posted via RS Mobile
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #44
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
I googled how much Gregor Robertson earned in 2009 and it totaled $161,469. That's with travel allowance and travel/ conference category.

We can assume that they give themselves a 10 percent raise every year for the "good job" that they do every year. Bike lane on a bridge??? lol

I would like to see politicians having a salary cap.50k-70k If a politicians do something that benefits the people and society in BC they should be entitled for a bonus for doing a great job.

That would also go for CEO's of government owned company's such as ICBC, BC Ferries, Translink. They get paid millions for ideas like "higher preimiums, higher fees, road taxes, tolls" etc.

I'm getting tried of taxes as a solution to every problems "deficits" in BC. Especially when it hurt the middle class earners that have to foot the bill for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
the problem with this is then who would be willing to be a politician? not saying robertson here is the best bean in the stalk but the quality of people willing to work for 50-70k is alot less than what they're getting from people receiving 100+k now

all the high quality people will work for private companies getting paid 100+k while public corporations/offices are stuck with whats left

another problem @ having low pay is it increases risks to corruption

One has to realize though that regardless of who's leading the city proposals such as these will always arise and be discussed even ones that would seem far more egregious and so we shouldnt pay them much heed at this stage as most of them aren't even given much attention by the politicians; wait until one of these many reports gets proposed by the city to the public to give it any care or concern
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #45
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
All of you people who are focusing on politicians' salaries are not seeing the larger picture. Most of my friends who are intelligent, honest, and well-spoken are already making 60-80K a year. Why would we go into politics if salaries were the same at the expense of our reputations and personal lives?

I'm caught on the fence regarding increased taxes and user fees for transit projects. I'm one of those lucky people who uses public transit on a daily basis as I live within walking distance of a Skytrain station and I work downtown. Public transit for me is awesome. I, in principle, support an increase in taxes to fund expansions because they will benefit me in the long run as long as I continue to live where I live.

On the other hand, I am a car enthusiast and I like to drive my car on off-days. I want to be able to drive anywhere, any time, and drive my car as hard as I feel like it. Paying more in gas taxes sucks. So does paying money to cross bridges. When I'm behind the wheel, I'm king of the road. If someone/something is trying to take that away from me or make it much harder for me to be that king of the road, I get upset and angry.

What was the point of this? Well, I think people tend to view public transit and car use as a zero-sum game. I think most of us need to think about the issue more strategically. As a transit user and a car enthusiast, I recognize that there are no easy solutions.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #46
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
I smell a revolt

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #47
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
People in Vancouver should realize that driving an automobile on the roads is a privilege. Stop complaining, and start getting familiar with the transit system. Take a look at all the expensive metropolitan areas in Europe, Asia, or even America, you will notice that not everyone could afford to drive. And what do they rely on for transportation? The public transport (subways, trains, buses, etc). Vancouver is no exception.
Typical. Always trying to model Europe, or whatever. Europe is fucking tiny. And their public transportation system is light years ahead of Vancouvers. And the road tolls in London, for example, are recent. They were done to ease congestion, not to fund transit.

I would *totally* take transit. BUT IT SUCKS.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #48
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
And the road tolls in London, for example, are recent. They were done to ease congestion, not to fund transit.
About 80% of the net revenue is used towards TFL (for buses, etc), a small part went towards roads, etc.

Yes, the main purpose of it was to ease congestion - but when you bring up the cost of driving, you must also increase the quality of the transit - which they did by adding more buses, etc.

I think people are overeacting about taxes. I, of course, don't want to pay more taxes - but I understand they are a necessary evil. What if I never got sick, should I be angry that I have to pay my monthly MSP's, plus have the gov't spend a large chunk of taxes (that I pay into) towards health care?

What if I never drove, why should my taxes go towards improving public roads?

What if I never went to school here, and never have children... why should my taxes go towards our education system that I do not personally benefit from?

The list goes on and on. I don't want to pay taxes as much as the next guy - but Transit (like a lot of public services) will always need to have funding from taxes. There are few transit systems in the world that are completely self funding (such as Toronto, but they have a much higher Pop Density than us).
Old 02-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #49
I don't get it

vancouver is just getting to expensive to live....
mercyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #50
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Read UN agenda 21, the goal is to tax everyone out of cars and have people on mass transit pushing the "green" agenda.
I mean we already pay by the KM.... with gas prices as high as they are that alone should go towards maintaining the roads. If people want translink or alternate transportation they should pay for it not the drivers that already pay the gas taxes. Of course that would be in a logical world where you dont have false "green" agenda pushers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Perhaps we need to stop trying to save the environment all by ourselves.

Maybe we need to build a little less big fancy new stuff that looks good on a record of ones political legacy but does little to pay for itself...evergreen line.

I don't know, maybe we need to realize that nickle and diming the population will do nothing to create a place where people want to set up businesses, and live and raise families. Maybe that would do more to increase revenue based on volume, not the absolute maximum that we can scrape from the people that are left.

Maybe we need to understand that socialism doesn't work.

Maybe we need politicians who's political legacy is "I did nothing, and it worked"

Maybe its time for me to start packing some bloody boxes, realize that the mountains are not worth it and snow melts and live some place else.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote