REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #101
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
@Tap: There isn't much to porpose.. I can agree.

That is one of the smartest statements I have heard.
Sure it doesn't offer any solutions but it's the goddamn truth.

I haven't looked into the WestCoast Express' funds to see if they hit a profit or not, but why not build something like that for Vancouver to Delta/Surrey/Whiterock/Langley/Abbotsford/Chiliwack?
That would be more or less what I suggested in the prior page and on par with what they have here in Europe.
Advertisement

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #102

A rail system that would run with one or two stops in each city (depending on the size) would be great. Start it in Langley then to White Rock, Ladner, Steveston/Richmond, S. Van, E. Van then Downtown. A light rail system dosen't need stops as frequent as Skytrain. People would take the bus/bike/drive to the station and then have a fast connection to Vancouver or the Valley via a rail system that has only a small amount of stops. Start small, then grow over th enext who knows, 30-40 years. Have to start somewhere.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #103
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Since the west coast express already drops people onto the main street skytrain all they would need to do is run more trains and have additional stop in each city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
A rail system that would run with one or two stops in each city (depending on the size) would be great. Start it in Langley then to White Rock, Ladner, Steveston/Richmond, S. Van, E. Van then Downtown. A light rail system dosen't need stops as frequent as Skytrain. People would take the bus/bike/drive to the station and then have a fast connection to Vancouver or the Valley via a rail system that has only a small amount of stops. Start small, then grow over th enext who knows, 30-40 years. Have to start somewhere.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Most people are bitching about being taxed to death and Translink overstepping its bounds. Great. But no one is posing alternatives. Build more freeways? Sit and do nothing? (and sit through traffic in on the No.1 in the morning and evening.) People are moving to the suburbs because it's more affordable, so how do you accommodate that growth? No one has proposed anything.
Before some random person proposes something (pulled from their ass) for the suburbs, translink already studied a list of alternatives:

Surrey Rapid Transit Study

If you only care about cost, the NPV (Future Cost - Rev) in 2010 $ for each alternative is included in the Evaluation Summary pdf. Obviously, they all lose money.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #105
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
^ It probably can't be done for political reasons. ICBC serves the entire province so as long as its profits are used to subsidize services that apply to the entire province (ie health care), then this course of action won't raise any outcries.
Posted via RS Mobile
There's a workaround for that. We all get charged a different amount for insurance based on where we live. If everyone paying premiums for living in the GVRD has those extra charges be transfered to Translink, that would certainly help a bit. ICBC is making huge profits as it is (I know it's supposed to be a "non-profit" entity, but you can't deal with insurance without having a large slush fund in case of a bad winter or something), so there's always options that can be looked at.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #106
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
There's a workaround for that. We all get charged a different amount for insurance based on where we live. If everyone paying premiums for living in the GVRD has those extra charges be transfered to Translink, that would certainly help a bit. ICBC is making huge profits as it is (I know it's supposed to be a "non-profit" entity, but you can't deal with insurance without having a large slush fund in case of a bad winter or something), so there's always options that can be looked at.
Nope. Their profits are already contributed to the provincial books. As we are currently operating at a deficit, those profits are already being spent, mostly on health and education.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote