REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Local Ghost Towns (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663872-local-ghost-towns.html)

Lomac 02-29-2012 01:11 AM

Local Ghost Towns

So we're all familiar with Britannia, Three Valley Gap and Barkerville, but do we have any sort of ghost towns in BC (island included) that are basically just abandoned towns that aren't set up as a tourist destination?

I've done a quick search and looked briefly through Wiki's BC Ghost Town directory (List of ghost towns in British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) but I didn't really find anything i was looking for.

Any suggestions on places to check out?

FerrariEnzo 02-29-2012 01:18 AM

im interested too.. sounds like it could be fun...

the one in maple ridge Webster's Corner, isnt really a ghost town, Googles street view shows an elementry school, so its not really a ghost town as its still have residents.. it just has some abandoned shops..

godwin 02-29-2012 02:48 AM

Do you want easily accessible or 4x4 only? Kettle Valley Railroad is quite interesting and easily accessible. There are a lot of abandoned settlements along the way eg Brookmere.

If you are interested in ghost towns in BC, do take a look into BC's mining and railway history. You will be able to find what you are looking for ;)

My general recommendation is bring supplies like harness, rope, first aid kits (do practice how to use them). Nothing is more frustrating than spending hours bush-wacking then figure out you can't get a good shot because you didn't bring proper supplies.

SkinnyPupp 02-29-2012 03:18 AM

I used to live in a mining area south of nanaimo, and while traversing through the forest around my house I found an old school and some other stuff.. that was fascinating and kind of got me interested in history

FerrariEnzo 02-29-2012 05:01 AM

places like abandoned houses, shops and so on.. with the rolling hay around haha

GabAlmighty 02-29-2012 05:13 AM

Ioco

Great68 02-29-2012 06:46 AM

Leechtown on the island isn't much more than a clearing now, there's no structures left.

I'd hardly consider Tulameen a ghost town either, people live there year round and the population gets huge in the summer.

TOS'd 02-29-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7813911)
places like abandoned houses, shops and so on.. with the rolling hay around haha

tumbleweed!

Presto 02-29-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 7813955)
I'd hardly consider Tulameen a ghost town either, people live there year round and the population gets huge in the summer.

That's a nice area for exploring. Nearby, you'll find an almost ghost town, Coalmont. Near that, there's a few ghost towns, like Granite City, and Blakeburn.

gars 02-29-2012 08:04 AM

I wish we had a place like Salton City close by. seems like the coolest/eeriest place to take pictures.

+1 for the kettle valley railroad.

GabAlmighty 02-29-2012 08:32 AM

Ouuu, Salton would make for a nice trip!

SumAznGuy 02-29-2012 08:34 AM

You guys talking about these ghost towns have me intriged. How off-road equipped does my truck need to be?
It sounds like it would be a neet trip to take the wife on in the summer.

PiuYi 02-29-2012 08:36 AM

RS cruise+photoshoot at a ghost town would be awesome

godwin 02-29-2012 08:43 AM

In most cases no much on the automotive side.. however you should bring along decent amount of equipment like harness etc in case you want to scale things... CB radio is handy especially since a lot of these places won't have cell service... pretty much be prepared to extract yourself if you get stuck so a winch etc would be handy. I can't stress enough.. learn and practise how to use the equipment before you venture out to the boonies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 7814017)
You guys talking about these ghost towns have me intriged. How off-road equipped does my truck need to be?
It sounds like it would be a neet trip to take the wife on in the summer.

GabAlmighty 02-29-2012 08:49 AM

Recovery straps will be your friend, winches are cool but straps work just fine in most scenarios. That being said, the use of any sort of recovery equipment is all preventable. My driving style when I'm alone and when I'm with another truck are so completely different.

Most of the ghost towns for what I've seen are pretty much easily accessible off logging roads, the worst obstacles being cross ditches and over grown bushes (leading to custom pinstriping). Worst case being a wash out.

Lomac 03-01-2012 07:20 AM

Ideally Im looking for a place that's relatively accessible by car, though I do have access to a 4x4 if necessary. I've been to Coalmont and Tullameen, but it was summer time and they were absolutely packed. I'll definitely check out the mining and railroad history for little known locations. Thanks everyone. :)
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 03-01-2012 08:16 AM

I want to go check out some remote ones close by in my truck. the ones by cars I'm sure are not close to as good

GabAlmighty 03-01-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7815073)
I want to go check out some remote ones close by in my truck. the ones by cars I'm sure are not close to as good

Britannia should be fun this time of year...

Gh0stRider 03-01-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiuYi (Post 7814018)
RS cruise+photoshoot at a ghost town would be awesome

lets do it

RRxtar 03-01-2012 09:34 AM

check out this page on facebook. couple guys from BCJeepClub started it.

https://www.facebook.com/HauntedBritishColumbia

murd0c 03-01-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 7815114)
Britannia should be fun this time of year...

I've never been, should we set something up?

Phil@rise 03-01-2012 10:12 AM

Goldbridge and its surrounding area and abandoned mines are my favorite

SumAznGuy 03-01-2012 10:18 AM

Sounds like fun. I'd love to join you guys when you go.

murd0c 03-01-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 7815161)
Goldbridge and its surrounding area and abandoned mines are my favorite

Goldbridge is more then a day trip tho

Everymans 03-01-2012 07:46 PM

slightly unrelated but does anyone know of some cool local places for urban explorations? Abandoned factories, deserted schools etc. I found this page on wikipedia while readin about the skytrain tunnels downtown. Apparently back in the day when false creek was an industrial area the train yard on terminal went through a tunnel under downtown and connected with the railyard near the seabus. When they created the skytrain they used the old tunnel as a guideway. This is the old entrance which is now behind costco
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5...pxdunsmuir.jpg