REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #626
I STILL don't get it

Passed the MSA today, and did the first road ride. Never realized how fast 50 kms is until we hit the road.

Zilley, don't look at the cones, anchor, and relax your hands!
Advertisement
Oscar_Binswood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #627
2 Wheelin' Mod

Zilley you will see big improvement from the first day of the slalom to when you do your MSA.
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #628
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
remember to breathe, I wouldn't do it and kept screwing up.

Breathe, Breathe, helps A LOT.

to add to this, breathe through your mouth, not your nose. it'll loosen your arms up.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #629
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
guys, the slalom is a piece of cake now compared to what Dat threw at us today.

doing sharp right/left turn with clutch and throttle control, I think I ran over every cone possible.

and then Dat made us do circle spins (with no throttle, just clutch released), putting all the weight on one side of the bike and just spin.

I m really glad I took this course now, now I know why.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #630
I STILL don't get it

Good luck on your MSA zilley!

Took my gsxr out for a ride yesterday and today, what a difference it is compared to the honda CRF I was learning on!
Oscar_Binswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #631

finished the course gais, had a blast at the downtown ride.

man, a ninja 250 seems pretty damn good to me already.

cant imagine what it feels like on a 600.

the course taught alot, not just how to ride a bike.

what it really taught was survival, even when I m not on a bike. I m now a more aware driver.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #632
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Just had my first in-class today. Boy there was a lot of negative feedback on sportsbikes...
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #633
2-Wheelin' Mod

Recon604 - one of the greatest things of the PRS class is that they take away the romantic notion of how fun and safe it is to own and ride a sportbike or really ANY motorbike... perhaps the greatest thing they do in that class is help you understand how massively dangerous riding a bike can be... once they establish that fact they then try and help you understand how you can make something that is inherently dangerous and unsafe less so...

The PRS definitely didn't make me NOT want to own a bike ... but it sure brought me down to earth with respect to what life could be like owning and riding one.

I loved the PRS class for that.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #634

I let the instructor know that I have a r6. My name would be constantly brought up on these stereotypes. Speed, racing, young, etc...

But I totally agree with you, it sure reminded myself how unsafe it is.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #635
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
cheap courses = gets you the skills you need to pass the MST / class 6
PRS resets your mind to respect bikes.

well worth the price i paid
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #636
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,855 Times in 889 Posts
man, that was a great course. Dat is such an awesome instructor. If only the course was even longer.

there was a groupon thing for another riding school for $250, but i do not regret doing it with PRS for $800+ at all. it's given me a completely new perspective as a driver
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #637
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
cheap courses = gets you the skills you need to pass the MST / class 6
PRS resets your mind to respect bikes.

well worth the price i paid
So you're saying 1stgear motorcycle school is cheap and only teaches you essentials while they are the sister company of Proride, which also is respected school in the Lower mainland.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #638

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuocAE86 View Post
So you're saying 1stgear motorcycle school is cheap and only teaches you essentials while they are the sister company of Proride, which also is respected school in the Lower mainland.
yes, because we all took PRS so no body can tell us any other school is better. .
Old 05-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #639
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
I was told that the ProRide guys were all PRS students. I did the awesome PRS course myself, but ProRide definitely offered nicer bikes (Newer GS500s and etc.).

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #640
Support Team Mod

I did not go to PRS. But will recommend PRS to anyone. As well as Open Road which is where I went.

Any school offering a discout this season I would question. Open Road had their best April ever and May is full already.

They also said PRS is having a good year too

Impreza '08
Yamaha RS Warrior MidNight 1700 '05
Aprilia Mana 850 '09

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson-
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #641
Rider

I know 1stGear is just opening so I do not see the issue in trying to reel in the public a little. I got to say though, that socialshopper deal got me in. Cathy is really going to enjoy it and my friend Leanne who is a instructor at Proride will be there teaching :P
Old 05-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #642

Here's my review from PRS.

So the first few days of theory was taught by Tonia. She was alright, she kept giving me a hard time when I told her I already had a r6. Got really irritated when she kept calling me out on it. I came here for a reason (that is I know riding is dangerous). Stereotype stuff in the theory portion was kinda of pointless to me. Did not teach me anything, I got pretty much categorized in the "Young and rich" stereotype in my class.

My lot training days was instructed by Chris. I got to say, he really impressed me. Class starting at 9AM, he was full of energy, prepared and enthusiastic. It really pumped me up and got me going. Learnt so much from him. Guy is pretty funny too, tons of jokes to get everyone interacting and cooperating.

After the first day of training, I actually took out my r6 out since we learnt how to use the clutch, shift gears, brake, turn, pretty much all the basics. So from my point of view, starting from a 600cc is not too bad, that is after going to a riding school. I got used to the clutch after an hour of riding on it and I never drove a manual.

Highly recommend PRS to anyone that wishes to start riding!

Last edited by Recon604; 05-05-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #643
Rider

Just wait when you start learning how to turn properly
Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuocAE86 View Post
Just wait when you start learning how to turn properly
now you mentioned that... I dont recall learning countersteering...
Old 05-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #645
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon604 View Post
now you mentioned that... I dont recall learning countersteering...
It's okay When you're done come out and hang with us for more lesson.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #646
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon604 View Post
Here's my review from PRS.

So the first few days of theory was taught by Tonia. She was alright, she kept giving me a hard time when I told her I already had a r6. Got really irritated when she kept calling me out on it. I came here for a reason (that is I know riding is dangerous). Stereotype stuff in the theory portion was kinda of pointless to me. Did not teach me anything, I got pretty much categorized in the "Young and rich" stereotype in my class.

My lot training days was instructed by Chris. I got to say, he really impressed me. Class starting at 9AM, he was full of energy, prepared and enthusiastic. It really pumped me up and got me going. Learnt so much from him. Guy is pretty funny too, tons of jokes to get everyone interacting and cooperating.

After the first day of training, I actually took out my r6 out since we learnt how to use the clutch, shift gears, brake, turn, pretty much all the basics. So from my point of view, starting from a 600cc is not too bad, that is after going to a riding school. I got used to the clutch after an hour of riding on it and I never drove a manual.

Highly recommend PRS to anyone that wishes to start riding!
You seem like a nice guy but honestly though, you just fit a "certain" profile, that's all. Whether you live up to that profile or prove others wrong is really up to you. Also, beware that it might not be just that one instructor that may do that to you. It's possible that some seasoned riders, or others in the community may also have the same reservations with riders who fit the same "certain profiles".

As for practicing in the R6, just remember to be really really careful with them. Learning how to ride in an R6 is like learning how to drive in a Porsche. Good luck and hopefully you can rack up many many miles on that R6.

Last edited by Noir; 05-06-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #647
2-Wheelin' Mod

When I was at PRS we had one of those kids that "fit the profile..."

The kid announced on the first day that he already had a litre-bike, that he had already crashed it in an intersection trying to keep up with his "friends" and that he also wasn't wearing proper gear. No matter what we learning in class that day the ONLY thing that he was interested in (and he asked a million times) was how to a) power shift b) wheelie and c) race.... he never showed up for the final road ride. I suppose at that point he was already competing in MotoGP.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #648
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Anyone looking to sign up together for discount next month?
dlaw029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #649
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
You seem like a nice guy but honestly though, you just fit a "certain" profile, that's all. Whether you live up to that profile or prove others wrong is really up to you. Also, beware that it might not be just that one instructor that may do that to you. It's possible that some seasoned riders, or others in the community may also have the same reservations with riders who fit the same "certain profiles".

As for practicing in the R6, just remember to be really really careful with them. Learning how to ride in an R6 is like learning how to drive in a Porsche. Good luck and hopefully you can rack up many many miles on that R6.
Hah. I fit that profile too. I'd already picked up my YZF600R before I started at PRS and I kept asking questions like how are you supposed to heel-toe on a bike, where do you apex to put maximum power down out of the corner etc.

They definitely gave me a harder time because of it. It's just the majority of people who start on 600s are huge jackasses, and it's easy for the community to lump you in with that stereotype. I asked a lot of questions about chest / back protectors and CE ratings too, but it didn't matter, I'm already "that guy".

It's like when people see your modified car and just assume you're a street racer. It's just how it is.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #650
Support Team Mod

Here is another 'profile' for you.

You pull up on your 250 and start talking to experienced riders that have worked hard on their riding skills. Talking to you they find out this is your 2nd or 3rd season riding and you are still on a 250.

Do you know what those experienced/trained riders are thinking......

That they have a new riding buddy that they can pass their knowledge on to.

Impreza '08
Yamaha RS Warrior MidNight 1700 '05
Aprilia Mana 850 '09

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson-
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote