REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Has Anyone elses BC Hydro bill gone up? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663978-has-anyone-elses-bc-hydro-bill-gone-up.html)

gretzky 03-04-2012 02:17 PM

about 80 bucks at our house... i thought they said we were gonna save money? wtf? maybe they will save money but not us...

7seven 03-04-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7816236)
My bill went up... because it's fucking winter

This, too many people just flipping out about Smart meters without using common sense, CTV did a story on this

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/Redirect/?ClipId=631342

[QUOTE]CTV News compared Magno's hydro usage in his old apartment to the new one during the same billing period, and both are roughly the same size. He's now paying two to 18 per cent a month more than for his old place, but Magno hasn't realized his costs more than doubled there as well from the period between early fall to winter -- the 165 per cent increase is essentially the same jump as this year.

Eight per cent of the increased cost is due to the April 2011 rise in hydro rates.

Weeks after BC Hydro customer Susan McDonnell had her smart meter installed, she received a bill for $745 for her one-bedroom condo, which was a far cry from the $61 monthly bill she had on BC Hydro's equalization plan.

The utility company says in her case she was paying too little before and has to play catch up.[/QUOTE

Are smart meters to blame for ballooning hydro bills? | CTV British Columbia

murd0c 03-06-2012 12:30 PM

Man's BC Hydro bill spikes after smart meter installed - News1130

Quote:

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Frustration for a man in Vancouver who has seen his BC Hydro bill shoot up since the installation of a smart meter. In just months, he's paying three times what he did.

"A few months ago, they flipped to smart meters in our condo and our bills have gone from usually around $160 for two months," explains Brad Hugel. "The most recent one was $515 for the two-month period."

What changed? "Just the smart meter. I mean we actually even got a more energy efficient washer-dryer in that time period too."

Hugel isn't even heating a detached home. He's talking about a 900 square foot condo with two bedrooms and two bathrooms.

He's also not surprised that a hydro bill would be more in the winter. That's one of the explanations given by BC Hydro. The rep also claimed the amount to be comparable to others in the building. "They said most of neighbours are also using about that same amount of energy."

So he emailed several people, "When I talked to my neighbours, their bills are all under $200 at this time of year."

Hugel asked BC Hydro to come check the meter, "They said we don't need to because the meter seems to be working fine because it's giving us a reading and it's what all my neighbours are experiencing as far as their bills. Which they are not."

Hugel moved to the province earlier last year. He knew BC was expensive but figured this was a bit much, "I've kind of given up. I don't see what I can do. I've talked to them twice without any kind of resolution."

Hugel is happy to pay the bill, in fact he already has, but just want to make sure it's right.

We are still waiting for a response from BC Hydro.

If you've seen a huge spike in your BC Hyrdo bill since your smart meter was installed, let us know about it in the comments section.

tool001 03-06-2012 12:47 PM

went up as well by $20

UFO 03-06-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Weeks after BC Hydro customer Susan McDonnell had her smart meter installed, she received a bill for $745 for her one-bedroom condo, which was a far cry from the $61 monthly bill she had on BC Hydro's equalization plan.

The utility company says in her case she was paying too little before and has to play catch up.
This is the part I don't get though. The way I understand our hydro bill, we pay in advance for 2 months worth, and the amount paid is based on your average consumption. So if I in real life use more electricity in 2 months, then I will have to pay extra to cover that on my following bill. But there should be no logistical way a bill can go from $60/2mos up to $700+/2mos given roughly similar useage, unless Hydro has been undercharging for 10+ months. What is this business about paying too little before (and for what period of time are we talking about) and having to 'catch-up'?

Ruff Ryd@s 03-06-2012 04:28 PM

^ i've called bc hydro numerous times regarding my invoices and basically their response everytime i've called is:
"our meter readers may have made a mistake this month, and if we made a mistake, it will be adjusted during the next meter reading"

but then i asked "what if the meter readers consistently make mistakes, billling cycle after billing cycle?". After that, their tone changes and start telling me to read the meters, or test each individual breaker myself and i'm just like "wtf?"

the best outcome out of all the calls i've made is that bc hydro will hold off interest on the current invoice, until you see your next invoice 2 months later. But then you will have 2 invoices to pay off.
They also allow you to pay "what you think is fair", but will eventually have to pay off the remainder amount, which is bullshit cuz if you ask that question to anyone, everyone will think $0.00 is the fair amount :lawl:

aznkev03 03-06-2012 06:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruff Ryd@s (Post 7821066)
^ i've called bc hydro numerous times regarding my invoices and basically their response everytime i've called is:
"our meter readers may have made a mistake this month, and if we made a mistake, it will be adjusted during the next meter reading"

but then i asked "what if the meter readers consistently make mistakes, billling cycle after billing cycle?". After that, their tone changes and start telling me to read the meters, or test each individual breaker myself and i'm just like "wtf?"

the best outcome out of all the calls i've made is that bc hydro will hold off interest on the current invoice, until you see your next invoice 2 months later. But then you will have 2 invoices to pay off.
They also allow you to pay "what you think is fair", but will eventually have to pay off the remainder amount, which is bullshit cuz if you ask that question to anyone, everyone will think $0.00 is the fair amount :lawl:

I only moved in to this 2 bedroom condo mid december but have never had a hydro bill higher than $80

If you take a look at the daily consumption graph, bchydro wants me to believe I averaged 17-18kWh in dec and jan, but doubled up at 37kWh in feb?!

Bchydro wants me to believe it's correct and the conversation went almost exactly as above :okay:

Ignore the security deposit

surreyjack604 03-08-2012 06:18 PM

I refused to have a smart meter installed at my house because I know relatives from California that got installed it last year and there bill went up 50%. A couple of my neighbors also refused.

They said they would save money and the publics so dumb they believed them. Does it make business sense they install a FREE smart meter for you to SAVE money?

HonestTea 03-08-2012 06:50 PM

^ You actually get a choice? Apparently some guy came when I was out and they changed it without notifying me. Left some FAQ sheet on front..

Death2Theft 03-08-2012 07:00 PM

Yes of course you get a choice, i guess people are too used to living under communism. Good luck getting it swapped out once they have it on tho lolz.

Soundy 03-09-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surreyjack604 (Post 7823574)
They said they would save money and the publics so dumb they believed them.

Everyone except you, right?

Quote:

Does it make business sense they install a FREE smart meter for you to SAVE money?
Yes: because among other things, smart meters can help them find the grow ops that are ripping them off for millions of dollars per year.

And sure you have a choice: you have the option to NOT use BC Hydro's services; then you don't have to accept their equipment.

This is what people have to understand: electricity delivery to your home IS NOT A RIGHT. It's a utility service just like gas, water, cable, or phone. You use the equipment required by the service provider, or you don't use the service. BC Hydro is actually being pretty mellow about how they're handling this, giving people the option to opt out even temporarily.

Death2Theft 03-10-2012 09:59 AM

Not if BC Hydro has ever received one cent of gov or tax money. Then the people have a say.
If in fact they were 100% private then I would agree that its not a right.
Posted via RS Mobile

MisterMu 03-10-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2Theft (Post 7825315)
Not if BC Hydro has ever received one cent of gov or tax money. Then the people have a say.
Posted via RS Mobile

You've received some tax subsidy at some point in your life. The province and it's citizens owns you now as well.
Posted via RS Mobile

quasi 03-10-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7824220)
Everyone except you, right?

Yes: because among other things, smart meters can help them find the grow ops that are ripping them off for millions of dollars per year.

And sure you have a choice: you have the option to NOT use BC Hydro's services; then you don't have to accept their equipment.

This is what people have to understand: electricity delivery to your home IS NOT A RIGHT. It's a utility service just like gas, water, cable, or phone. You use the equipment required by the service provider, or you don't use the service. BC Hydro is actually being pretty mellow about how they're handling this, giving people the option to opt out even temporarily.

Agreed, free to go solar or generator power anytime. Actually one of my neighbors is an electrician and has solar panels on his roof tied into his system. I don't know exactly how much he can run with them or what his initial cost was but the option is there. He still uses hydro a bit but it's combined with his solar energy.

MisterMu 03-10-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznkev03 (Post 7821172)
I only moved in to this 2 bedroom condo mid december but have never had a hydro bill higher than $80

If you take a look at the daily consumption graph, bchydro wants me to believe I averaged 17-18kWh in dec and jan, but doubled up at 37kWh in feb?!

Bchydro wants me to believe it's correct and the conversation went almost exactly as above :okay:

Ignore the security deposit

Your a dumbass. Read the billing dates. The $190 charge is essentially for 2 FULL MONTHS of hydro. Seeing as how we got shit cold weather in the beginning of February, I'm thinking you turned your heat up higher so you could feel all warm and toasty inside your house.

We should add you to the ctv list of people who don't read anything and post bullshit.

Also, since you moved in mid December, this is your SECOND bill. How the hell can you say you've never paid more than $90 for hydro, when your first bill for hydro was only like $15 for 13 days.

3rd Edit: the more and more I look at your bill, the more gaping holes I find in your claims.

The average use for January is based on your 13 day bill (Dec22-Jan 3). 220kw/h divided by 13 days = 16.9kw/h/day
February (Jan 4 - Feb 29). 2103kw/h divided by 57 days = 36.9kw/h/day

Seriously. Has critical thinking disappeared in this world and age?

Soundy 03-10-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2Theft (Post 7825315)
Posted via RS Mobile

If electric service was a RIGHT, they wouldn't be able to cut you off for non-payment of your bill.

Death2Theft 03-11-2012 10:31 AM

Riight because I am a business that provides services to the citizens:toot: Lay off the crack pipe buddy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMu (Post 7825333)
You've received some tax subsidy at some point in your life. The province and it's citizens owns you now as well.
Posted via RS Mobile

MisterMu 03-11-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2Theft (Post 7826217)
Riight because I am a business that provides services to the citizens:toot: Lay off the crack pipe buddy.

Same to you sir. Just because a company has received government money does not mean citizens can make demands and tell them what to do. If that was the case, then I demand that GM gives me 5 new cars. It's my right according to your logic.
Posted via RS Mobile

Death2Theft 03-11-2012 02:21 PM

Hey if you think a company that takes your tax dollars and runs a monopoly on one of the no competition industries should be allowed to jack your rates then come on over and lube up your anus.
As if the enron scandle didn't teach people a thing or two.

TRDood 03-11-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2Theft (Post 7826389)
Hey if you think a company that takes your tax dollars and runs a monopoly on one of the no competition industries should be allowed to jack your rates then come on over and lube up your anus.

We, in BC, have the lowest electricity rates in Canada.

I have no comment on the smart meters.

With all these "jumps" in electricity bills, we don't know the whole story. How much more is the customer using compared to the same period last year? How much is accounted for under Tier 2 rates? Is the customer on Equalization Payment Plan?

hillmar 03-11-2012 03:28 PM

It's a brand new system, ran with 2 way communication and electronics. Unless every meter is tested in the factory(very unlikely, if they use samples to test a batch.) and by hydro before and after installation there will be a few with accuracy issues.

MisterMu 03-11-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2Theft (Post 7826389)

Seriously, what are you smoking? How does Enron have anything to do with companies installing meters that are more accurate and either charges more to people who should have paid more or charges less to people who should have paid less.?
Posted via RS Mobile

Death2Theft 03-11-2012 03:59 PM

Well if you dont see the cost of installing new meters to the ability to charge you whatever their "new meters" state then clearly there is no connection.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMu (Post 7826433)
Seriously, what are you smoking? How does Enron have anything to do with companies installing meters that are more accurate and either charges more to people who should have paid more or charges less to people who should have paid less.?
Posted via RS Mobile

aznkev03 03-11-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMu (Post 7825622)
Your a dumbass. Read the billing dates. The $190 charge is essentially for 2 FULL MONTHS of hydro. Seeing as how we got shit cold weather in the beginning of February, I'm thinking you turned your heat up higher so you could feel all warm and toasty inside your house.

We should add you to the ctv list of people who don't read anything and post bullshit.

Also, since you moved in mid December, this is your SECOND bill. How the hell can you say you've never paid more than $90 for hydro, when your first bill for hydro was only like $15 for 13 days.

3rd Edit: the more and more I look at your bill, the more gaping holes I find in your claims.

The average use for January is based on your 13 day bill (Dec22-Jan 3). 220kw/h divided by 13 days = 16.9kw/h/day
February (Jan 4 - Feb 29). 2103kw/h divided by 57 days = 36.9kw/h/day

Seriously. Has critical thinking disappeared in this world and age?

I meant I haven't ever paid a bill higher than $80 with any previous condos with electric heating

First bill for $32 was 13 days. $32x2 = 26 days x2 = 52 days = $128
Second bill for two months was $190 for 57 days

My claims about the daily consumption were solely based on the graphs
According to those it says avg in dec and jan were around 17 and avg in feb doubled
It's an avg per day, so double the amount of days used shouldn't double the daily consumption...

I considered the possibility that I cranked the heat. But it's not like I have never lived in a similar sized condo through a winter before
Posted via RS Mobile

7seven 03-12-2012 06:07 AM

Haven't had any issues with my billing since my smart meter was installed.

How soon till one of our very anti smart meter people here join this guy? :troll:

Quote:

New Brunswick man without electricity for 13 years in bizarre power struggle

FREDERICTON — It's a dispute that no one wants to resolve.

It's been more than a decade since Neil Lemon climbed a hydro pole outside his Lower Durham, N.B., home in a desperate attempt to draw attention to his feud with NB Power — a dispute over an unpaid bill that led to his power being disconnected.

Nearly 13 years later, Lemon's small weather-beaten bungalow still has no electricity.

"They've just got no feelings whatsoever for what they've done and don't even try," Lemon said this week. "Over the simple thing of what happened here; it just boggles my mind how it could get this far for something as simple as that."

In 1999, Lemon's home was disconnected five times during the height of the dispute, but four of those times he reconnected the power himself.

The last time the stoppage was permanent.

At the time of the final disconnection, Lemon claimed he'd offered half of his $746 income to the utility toward the $850 he owed, but was told to pay the total amount.

"This is not the way to go through the last years of your life," Lemon said, "You've got no power and you die of old age and never had power because of something stupid — a mix-up in a bill."

Lemon said his life now consists of lugging several gallons of water for a flush, pets, washing and cooking every day. He has done that for 365 days a year since the plug was pulled.

Lemon, 57, heats his house with wood.

In the summer, having no refrigeration for his food, is another thing, he said.

"It's getting tougher each month that goes by, because my health is going downhill."

Lemon said he now has mobility problems connected to issues with his back, hips and knees.

Lemon's son, Nathan Woods, shares the home and a fixed income with his father.

He said living without basic services that other residents of the province take for granted is taking its toll on his dad.

"He's been more miserable and stuff," Woods said. "It's a shame it had to come to this over a few hundred dollars."

NB Power wants $3,000, which includes the cost of a pole, Woods said, before it will hook them back up to the grid, even though he and his father believe the amount is closer to $1,000. He said while it would be difficult to come up with that much money, they would be willing to pay it if it meant some sort of compromise could be reached.

Melissa Morton, manager of media relations for NB Power, said the corporation can't discuss individual customer information for privacy reasons.

But Morton said if Lemon wants to get in touch with NB Power, the company would be more than willing to discuss his situation.

NB Power's website states: Customers can avoid disconnection for nonpayment if all of the following are met: customers are in legitimate economic need, customers have contacted NB Power to discuss their account, and customers continue to make mutually-agreed upon payments on their outstanding balance.

Lemon, who looks frail and older than his age, said he doesn't know how much longer he can continue to live as he does.

"I haven't got much more fight left in me, really."

Lemon said he is tired and sick of being cold and not having running water.

If he had the latter, he said he would be able to wash clothes, shower and do anything whenever he wants.

"It's getting harder to get by every month out here for me. I've been trying to figure out some way to ease the stress but I haven't found one yet."

Lemon said he would like to find a way to get the issues between him and the power company resolved, even though his income is less than it was 13 years ago.

Read more: http://new.canada.com/Brunswick+with...#ixzz1ouXzm0qJ