REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #76
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance1911 View Post
lol, if I were them I will laugh at you too...seriously, you are Chinese and you cannot speak Mandarin? what does being in Canada has anything to do with this?

so you don't find it weird that a blue eyed, blond American born in China not being able to speak English?
It is unintelligent immigrants like you that makes your own culture and nationality look bad.

Maybe you posted the comment to make you look smarter and feel better because even your kindergarten teacher gave up to educate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
I just find it ridiculous that we keep finding these threads devoted to Chinese people who live here and aren't saying a thing to anyone else (maybe because they don't know English) yet we are trying to force them to be something that WE define as Canadian. Canada is simply diverse and multicultural, there is nothing else that defines Canada. Multiculturalism enables people to be defined and addressed by the various groups they belong to. We can't say we're multicultural and at the same time say we have to have a CANADIAN identity amongst all citizens. Then we're not multicultural. Multicultural means that we cannot have any central (in this case "Canadian") values.

The purpose of multiculturalism is to acknowledge different cultural values, traditions and identities while maintaining ones own cultural values, traditions and identities. By doing so, it significantly improve the social well-beings of individuals and economically and reduce racism. The problem is, SOME(not all) of the new immigrants are not even acknowledging other cultural values and traditions to begin with and that is why there is such hatred to begin with.

Adopting a central/Canadian value is beneficial to multiculturalism. The identity of Canadian allows different cultural groups and ethnics to cooperate and thrive for a similar goals. These results in unity of cultures and identities (assimilation) while MAINTAINING ones own cultural values thus reducing prejudice, discrimination and stereotypes. Without a unity between different cultural groups, there will always be privileged and unprivileged groups separated by racial differences. It is this type of social/class differences that cause discrimination and prejudice. The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics is a good example of multiculturalism with a Canadian identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananana View Post
Maybe you should just get a better job than a cashier if you cant take shit from people.
how does my previous example means I cant take shit from customer? I used the example since it fits my comment. Please don't post if you don't know anything about anyone.... So by working in a customer service industry, employee will be "entitled" to receive any racial and degrading comments from a customer?

Correct me if i am wrong.
Advertisement
poopyiii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #77
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyiii View Post

The purpose of multiculturalism is to acknowledge different cultural values, traditions and identities while maintaining ones own cultural values, traditions and identities. By doing so, it significantly improve the social well-beings of individuals and economically and reduce racism. The problem is, SOME(not all) of the new immigrants are not even acknowledging other cultural values and traditions to begin with and that is why there is such hatred to begin with.

Correct me if i am wrong.

lol, it is people like you that always fail to understand the basic foundation of immigration. Multiculturalism is purely a canadian concept, you cannot assume that all immigrants in canada will embrace this idea.

Canadians really need to face the cold, hard fact.

let's face it. the majority of the wealthy Chinese immigrants really couldn't careless about canadian culture. Whether you agree or not, to most of the Chinese, canada has very little culture, if none at all, compared to that of China's. These wealthy immigrants didn't come to canada because they like the so called "multiculturalistm", they simply came to canada for its resource, stable political system, clean air, and open space, much like the european settlers who came to canada couple hundred of years ago. The european settlers didnt give a shit about the natives, much like the Chinese settlers now don't give a shit about canadians.

What can we do about it? as long as canada needs the hot money pouring in by these wealthy Chinese immigrants, canada will welcome them with open arms, there is very little the common citizens like you can do about it, other than bitching on RS. you either accept it, or you don't, but nothing you can do to change it.
sundance1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #78
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyiii View Post
Okay I understand that point but what I'm saying is, who cares? How does this affect us? What do we gain if these people decide to all of sudden take part in other traditions? And why does refusal to abide by new traditions create hatred? I understand that some people feel that if someone wants to immigrate to a new country, they should make a fair effort to learn the countries language and traditions but really, why are we gonna stress about it if they don't? It's such a waste of time in my opinion. Let's worry about our own lives and the way we act and forget about other people. If we want to focus on other people's action, look to change racist and discriminatory behaviour. That kind of behaviour can actually affect our citizens and society.

Just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
you can have diversity AND assimilation...no one is asking you to drop your roots. If you want to live in a cultural bubble within vancouver, fine. But don't expect anyone to cater to you when you only have the bare minimal English communication skills.
Okay I keep hearing people say that but really, how are you having to cater to other people and how are these people expecting you to cater to them? Most of these people who can't speak English and who refuse to make an effort to learn these traditions we are used to, probably live in their own cultural realms. China-Town, Punjabi Main Street or Surrey lol...But really I don't see these people coming out and making us cater to them. For some reason, people feel that they're having to cater to them and I'd like to hear more about how they feel that they're catering to these immigrants. The only time I can see this happening is when an immigrant comes to a place of business and you have to make an extra effort to communicate with them. But guess what, you can simply say no and tell them you're not dealing with them unless they speak English. We don't do that though, because we want their business...

I myself am not an immigrant, I'm not Chinese obviously but I am kind of irritated with the amount of hatred we've been having towards them and how we feel like we need to define Canada as a certain country and in order for you to be Canadian, you have to meet a certain set of guidelines. Our country simply doesn't work like that. And remember, we're talking about a bunch of people who had put flags on their cars or whatever. How does making your car into a Chinese logo make other people have to cater to them??

Last edited by parm104; 03-05-2012 at 12:28 AM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #79
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
lol, it is people like you that always fail to understand the basic foundation of immigration. Multiculturalism is purely a canadian concept, you cannot assume that all immigrants in canada will embrace this idea.

let's face it. the majority of the wealthy Chinese immigrants really couldn't careless about canadian culture. Whether you agree or not, to most of the Chinese, canada has very little culture, if none at all, compared to that of China's. These wealthy immigrants didn't come to canada because they like the so called "multiculturalistm", they simply came to canada for its resource, stable political system, clean air, and open space, much like the european settlers who came to canada couple hundred of years ago. The european settlers didnt give a shit about the natives, much like the Chinese settlers now don't give a shit about canadians.

What can we do about it? as long as canada needs the hot money pouring in by these wealthy Chinese immigrants, canada will welcome them with open arms, there is very little the common citizens like you can do about it, other than bitching on RS. you either accept it, or you don't, but nothing you can do to change it.
I get where you are coming from, but it doesn't make it right. Rich Brazilian guy comes here and laughs at me because my Portuguese isn't perfect anymore, I'd laugh back. I'd be like "dude, this ain't Brazil, nobody cares that you are rich. It just makes you look ignorant when you live here and your English is crap."

Not that they would move here in the first place, because in Brazil, they live like kings, whereas here they'd have to do menial stuff like grocery shopping.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #80
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongy View Post
Bcrdukes are you chinese?? If you are...for some reason I always assumed you were a huge white guy with a beard...
He's more of an Asian Rutledge Wood

Minus the beard.
And with a Cup of Starbucks in his hand.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #81
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
The beard applies.

No Megafuckerlatte's for me. Just good ol' hipster white cups.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #82
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Multiculturalism is not a Canadian concept; it is a concept "adopted" by Canada. Two different thing.
Also, true multiculturalism will only be a achieved in a ideal world, same for anything else, and that ideal world will never happen. I am just saying, it would have been a better if they at least try to care; it would make life more enjoyable.

Disclaimer: I am not hating on anyone/immigrants unless they are acting like douche.
poopyiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #83
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

Not all, but most realize that being a minority is not an advantageous position to be in, and it's in their best interest to respect what's been built by ppl who were here before they were.

This is a free country, so your identity is yours and you decide how it evolves. But you can't have it both ways with respect to multiculturalism (or whatever you wanna call it). Being a minority, it's hypocritical for you to enjoy its benefits and then turn around and ruin it for others. You're not obligated to contribute to it, but you have a responsibility to other immigrants to not be destructive.

If you become a victim of racism, say someone smashes your car cuz it has a Chinese flag on it, do you expect ppl to come to your aid and defend you, then? Or will you build your own walls, constantly looking over your shoulder, to protect yourself?
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #84
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
lol, if I were them I will laugh at you too...seriously, you are Chinese and you cannot speak Mandarin? what does being in Canada has anything to do with this?

so you don't find it weird that a blue eyed, blond American born in China not being able to speak English?
This is Vancouver and in Vancouver we speak Cantonese.
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #85
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

china has become, for various reasons, the kid on the playground that other kids hates. the other kids tolerate china only because he gives out candy to kids that play with him. that is not a very good way for china to make lasting friends.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #86
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
china has become, for various reasons, the kid on the playground that other kids hates. the other kids tolerate china only because he gives out candy to kids that play with him. that is not a very good way for china to make lasting friends.
Especially when China runs out of candy. I haven't heard a more solid analogy than this.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #87
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
and the US has been the bully in the playground for ages...the bully is hated and feared by all other kids, and the only kids that tolerate the bully are the ones that are also bullies themselves, or the ones that couldn't do much about it (ie: japan)

definitely not a good way for US to have any true friends.
sundance1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #88
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
This is Vancouver and in Vancouver we speak Cantonese.
Canto, Mando, it's all Chinese to me...........
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #89
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Especially when China runs out of candy. I haven't heard a more solid analogy than this.
Best I've seen yet.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #90
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
you cannot assume that all immigrants in canada will embrace this idea.

let's face it. the majority of the wealthy Chinese immigrants really couldn't careless about canadian culture.
This is too true and this thread is evident proof of it. A lot of the new immigrants (East Indian, European, Korean, Japanese, Chinese) don't give a rat's ass about whatever kind of culture we had in Vancouver/Canada. They're here to live in a better place and to do business. Some people native to Vancouver (native as in pre-huge flow of immigrants, post HK-immigrant era) are adapting to this wave of immigrants and there is a huge demand for Mandarin speakers. Hell, even banks have created divisions/teams that purely consist of Mandarin speakers to do business with immigrants from China.

What's the common denominator? Money. Business.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
China won't be running out of candy for a while. They're massing their Halloween supply and the big bully on the block, US, knows this.

The better question is, do the other kids side with the bully on the block or the newcomer? A lot of countries have no choice but to side with the bully, but there has been a change in the tide where the newcomer is slowly gaining allies.

All you can do is adapt to changing times. I was born in Vancouver and my family speaks Cantonese. When there was a huge wave of HK immigrants, I had the exact same reaction a lot of people are having towards the recent wave of Mainland immigration.

Mainlanders have come and are here to stay. Learn to play with them or get fucked over, just like how we all had to adapt to the HK-immigration wave.
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #91
Banned (ABWS)

all I can say is that the collapse of the communist party is not far away. people in china is no longer confident in the ccp. a sure sign of the people's uncertainty of their country is the vast immigration numbers of people from china. the rich in china know this very well. they fear the day that the poor will up rise against them. they will lose their accumulated wealth. they fear so many things. they fear that the government can just take their wealth away for no reasons given. if you use the internet in china you will know there are internet police. you do not have freedom of speech. you can't even use normal words because they will be censored and attract the internet police's attention. there are so many things wrong in that country. it's time they exercise democracy or the great collapse is not too far away. yea and im chinese, i love my people and culture but i hate the party.
niu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #92
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niu99 View Post
all I can say is that the collapse of the communist party is not far away. people in china is no longer confident in the ccp. a sure sign of the people's uncertainty of their country is the vast immigration numbers of people from china. the rich in china know this very well. they fear the day that the poor will up rise against them. they will lose their accumulated wealth. they fear so many things. they fear that the government can just take their wealth away for no reasons given. if you use the internet in china you will know there are internet police. you do not have freedom of speech. you can't even use normal words because they will be censored and attract the internet police's attention. there are so many things wrong in that country. it's time they exercise democracy or the great collapse is not too far away. yea and im chinese, i love my people and culture but i hate the party.
Reminded me of this article I read the other day.

Embarrassment of riches dogs China’s road to progress - The Globe and Mail
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #93
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
This is a good thread, good read for sure.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #94
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
what type of stupid thread title is chinese patriotic kids.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #95
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

lol
car->Chinese->multiculture->Canada->diversity AND assimilation->Rutledge Wood....
This is a good thread, good read for sure.!
eythappy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: