REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Off-topic but I've always wanted to go here:

Advertisement

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #27
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
For those hankering for Icelandic beauties.. One of Iceland's national asset is their gene banks / data, since everyone is so closely related.. most people have kids before they get married in their teens. They actually license their gene data out to researchers.

It might a be a bit difficult for a stereotypical Asian RSer to get into the game.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #28

Denmark might have something to say about it (Iceland's former overlords).. but I think that's pretty much it.

Icelanders are fiercely independent.. so honestly politicians might say one thing but the locals will not like it very much.

Iceland is not that big.. so I don't see any direct benefit to the Big 5 banks in terms of customers.. AND it is not like Iceland is the back waters like NWT where there is no ATM machine for miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
All great points that I didn't think of or read. Any risks?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #29
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Denmark might have something to say about it (Iceland's former overlords).. but I think that's pretty much it.

Icelanders are fiercely independent.. so honestly politicians might say one thing but the locals will not like it very much.

Iceland is not that big.. so I don't see any direct benefit to the Big 5 banks in terms of customers.. AND it is not like Iceland is the back waters like NWT where there is no ATM machine for miles.
300k population like someone said above.
300k bank fees / mortgages/ loc's / investments / etc. etc. the $ value of all banking products is probably close to about 1-2billion. that some nice top line growth for the top 5 banks

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #30

Again you are assuming Iceland doesn't have existing banking infrastructure... they do (which got them into trouble in the first place).. Adopting Canadian $ as a sovereign currency doesn't automatically mean the Big5 has access to the market in Iceland. In fact, if they go they will have a huge learning curve as Icelanders are more mobile than our typical Canadian banking customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
300k population like someone said above.
300k bank fees / mortgages/ loc's / investments / etc. etc. the $ value of all banking products is probably close to about 1-2billion. that some nice top line growth for the top 5 banks
Old 03-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post

Don't ever try to see what is at the bottom of those pools.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #32
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I'm not sure how this works so I have to ask. If they do decide to go with the CAD what happens to there current money and debts? I have no clue what there dollar is worth now but its not like we would give them a bunch of cash how would they buy it from us I guess I'm saying?
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #33
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
Iceland is nice and no ice
Greenland is not nice and has ice

with the naming

BTW, i hear Icelandic girls are hot!

Crossfit girls
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #34
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
WOW thats fricken hot
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #35
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post

I went there on my way home from London. It's pretty interesting, but also a little overated. I definitely didn't feel any health benefits from soaking there, and it wasn't particularly hot either. Just a lukewarm bath that's a funny colour.

Btw, it's actually pretty cheap to fly to Europe via Icelandair, and you basically get a free stop over in iceland. Stay a few days, and experience it. I want to go back to see the northern lights.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm not sure how this works so I have to ask. If they do decide to go with the CAD what happens to there current money and debts? I have no clue what there dollar is worth now but its not like we would give them a bunch of cash how would they buy it from us I guess I'm saying?
For Canadian, there really isn't much difference. Iceland's central bank would decide a rate that it would convert their krona into CAD and usually provides a deadline of such conversion. Bank of Canada would exchange tons of CAD cash for something of equal value (gold, other currencies like USD, Euro.. etc) and usually sell them on the market to avoid any sudden shock to CAD value.

In essence, Iceland would give up monetary policy (as it can no longer affect the amount of money in circulation) for stability (of CAD) for its people.

These are strategies often used by financial less stabled countries to avoid inflation.

But from an economic point of view though, I don't see it being good for Iceland. CAD is heavily dependent on natural resources, something Iceland lacks. I'd say they would be better off with USD or Euro.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #37
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
After the hard fought battle that iceland fought to kick the bankers out of their system, I find it impossible to believe they would so blindly sign onto another fiat currency.

And yet you have no problems believing that the United States is sending an aircraft carrier to the gulf so that Iran can sink it so that they don't have to disassemble it.

Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #38
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Crazy how wide her mid section still is even with abs. That there is a viking woman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

Crossfit girls
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #39
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Why else are they sending the oldest most outdated worthless rust bucket carrier out there? To make sure no one else in the middle east gets nukes? LOLZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
And yet you have no problems believing that the United States is sending an aircraft carrier to the gulf so that Iran can sink it so that they don't have to disassemble it.

Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
But from an economic point of view though, I don't see it being good for Iceland. CAD is heavily dependent on natural resources, something Iceland lacks. I'd say they would be better off with USD or Euro.
Iceland's key resource is their energy (geothermal) hence the existence of aluminium plants, tourism and fish resources. Kinda simliar to BC.

I think they should do with Yuan.. since the Chinese tried to buy them anyways. Who wants to use USD or Euro?

Honestly the populace would rather go with Danish Krone than Canadian $.

Ecuador is another country that is based on USD.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #41
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Again you are assuming Iceland doesn't have existing banking infrastructure... they do (which got them into trouble in the first place).. Adopting Canadian $ as a sovereign currency doesn't automatically mean the Big5 has access to the market in Iceland. In fact, if they go they will have a huge learning curve as Icelanders are more mobile than our typical Canadian banking customer.
The only way I can really see this working on Canada's end is if the Big5 take over/merge the Icelandic Banks and implement our system and banks there. That is the only way to really guarantee the same thing doesn't happen again. I see it as a positive for Iceland too, because they are not only getting a strong currency but also a proven banking system linked to one of the strong world economies.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #42

You are missing CMHC.. there is no such thing in Iceland... the one thing that current gov is so proud to claim that will prevent the same thing from happening here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
The only way I can really see this working on Canada's end is if the Big5 take over/merge the Icelandic Banks and implement our system and banks there. That is the only way to really guarantee the same thing doesn't happen again. I see it as a positive for Iceland too, because they are not only getting a strong currency but also a proven banking system linked to one of the strong world economies.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
i hate it when ppl say hot girls come from this country.. dude theres always hot girls in EVERY country.
even pakistan and afghanistan?
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #44
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
even pakistan and afghanistan?
Yes.

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011...c--300x450.jpg
Old 03-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #45
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
the comments are the most interesting.

Is Canada the world's next superpower? – Erin Burnett OutFront - - CNN.com Blogs
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote