REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #26
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 2,116 Times in 382 Posts
learn mandarin?

Advertisement
StaxBundlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #27
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Rosetta Stone looks good.. they have Swahili and Pashto but not Cantonese
as a white person learning canto right now, this is the harder than greek. And greek is fucking hard (pluralization is all based on the word and every word is different not on adding an s to the end of words)

im probably gonna switch to mandarin. But judging on my career path right now, I think i'd be ok learning russian or slavic.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #28
xxx

Quote:
I live in HK and my wife speaks it (hence why I want to learn it) so actually I think it would be doable. If I had taken the time to do actual lessons, I'd probably be fluent by now
Posted via RS Mobile
No offense but you've lived in HK for so long and yet you're still not fluent?
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #29
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
he's white you racist
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #30
xxx

I know he's white what's your point?
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #31
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Yes and my car has a giant vinyl sticker of the Canadian flag on it.
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #32
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I had Rosetta Stone Mandarin and it was pretty solid, I slacked off though and I forgot stuff. The main thing is you need to practice with people, otherwise you're never going to learn.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #33
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
@ ppl who say cantonese is hard

yes i would imagine how fucking gay it would be to learn this as a second language without any experience in chinese. It's really hard to "learn" cantonese. With the way they teach you it in books and professionally, you'd pretty much learn to speak sentences that are basically mandarin sentences spoken out in the cantonese form. For those who don't understand wtf i'm talking, it means like the letters of our alphabet being spoken in another way. there are still 26 letters in the alphabet, A is still in the beginning of the alphabet, but instead of sounding like "A", you pronounce it differently.

Also if you were to learn cantonese straight from the book, when you speak canto to other cantonese people they'd think youre the biggest fob ever. that is because you don't speak the traditional canto (which is written in serious chinese newspapers), cantonese people speak SLANG cantonese. I doubt there are any professional courses or books which teach slang cantonese. The only real way to learn and master slang cantonese is to hang out with fucking hongers or watch TVB like a little honger you are.
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30 View Post
I already have Pimsleur recordings, so I don't feel like spending the $$ on Rosetta Stone at this time. I am having high hopes that a combo of classes and Pimsleur will get me to a conversational "level".
Spend money? Lolz...

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #35
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 2,116 Times in 382 Posts

does this actually work?
StaxBundlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #36

Yes.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #37
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
@ ppl who say cantonese is hard

yes i would imagine how fucking gay it would be to learn this as a second language without any experience in chinese. It's really hard to "learn" cantonese. With the way they teach you it in books and professionally, you'd pretty much learn to speak sentences that are basically mandarin sentences spoken out in the cantonese form. For those who don't understand wtf i'm talking, it means like the letters of our alphabet being spoken in another way. there are still 26 letters in the alphabet, A is still in the beginning of the alphabet, but instead of sounding like "A", you pronounce it differently.

Also if you were to learn cantonese straight from the book, when you speak canto to other cantonese people they'd think youre the biggest fob ever. that is because you don't speak the traditional canto (which is written in serious chinese newspapers), cantonese people speak SLANG cantonese. I doubt there are any professional courses or books which teach slang cantonese. The only real way to learn and master slang cantonese is to hang out with fucking hongers or watch TVB like a little honger you are.
Actually despite being failed I think you have a point here. Conversational Cantonese (what you'd actually want to learn) is entirely different from written Cantonese and that might be one of the reasons it doesn't show up in Rosetta Stone - it'd be kinda hard to teach. Cantonese is my first language and I speak it every day at home, but I'm still shit at it and get called out on it all the time =p
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
as a white person learning canto right now, this is the harder than greek. And greek is fucking hard (pluralization is all based on the word and every word is different not on adding an s to the end of words)

im probably gonna switch to mandarin. But judging on my career path right now, I think i'd be ok learning russian or slavic.
russian? does your career path involve smuggling smoked fish? we must talk
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #39
F30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

There are many people out there who are probably interested in this topic. I'd appreciate keeping on topic to keep this thread helpful to others.

In turn, I'll try to post infrequent updates of my experiences. This morning I've registered for a course with Key Language and will start in two weeks time.

Thanks for all helpful comments!
'04 Acura MDX Touring Black (sold)
'98 Honda Civic SI coupe Silver (sold)
F30 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #40
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Actually despite being failed I think you have a point here. Conversational Cantonese (what you'd actually want to learn) is entirely different from written Cantonese and that might be one of the reasons it doesn't show up in Rosetta Stone - it'd be kinda hard to teach. Cantonese is my first language and I speak it every day at home, but I'm still shit at it and get called out on it all the time =p
This can be said of any language though. I work with someone who's first language is french (France French not Quebec French) and she gets annoyed with what she calls the 'rigidness' of the way I speak french because it's book learned. ShTo her ear it sounds as artificial and forced as English would if someone was speaking like they were reading an Oxford dictionary all the time.

Listening to French radio and French TV taught me the cadence of the language and more comfortable word use better than a text book ever could - though though early learning experiences really helped me digest what I was listening to to begin with. That's why the Pimsleur method works better too for most people, because it focuses on a more natural audio learning method (though how casual it is depends on the source, some are very conversational while others are more formal).
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #41

@ the people who failed my post above, care to elaborate where you disagree with my post?

Either

1) you dont agree with the difficulty i see in cantonese

Or

2) youre butthurt cuz i called you a honger

Come forward, bro
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #42
NSX
NA1

Ive been taking it at Langara every saturday with instructor Betty Tu. She is an awesome instructor. A lot of students transfer to her as her personality is more suited for beginners.
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #43
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
He made a good point actually, and like someone else said, it is like that for most languages. But Cantonese especially. The way he started calling down Hong Kong people like an ignorant cunt is why he earned his fails.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #44

Quote:
He made a good point actually, and like someone else said, it is like that for most languages. But Cantonese especially. The way he started calling down Hong Kong people like an ignorant cunt is why he earned his fails.
im apologize if i said watching TVB makes you a little honger
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #45
F30

The Key Language course is almost over, just one more class left. I am very happy with the results, it certainly provided me with a foundation to keep building up both the grammar and vocabulary. I would recommend it to people who are considering learning Mandarin.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #46
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
The Key Language course is almost over, just one more class left. I am very happy with the results, it certainly provided me with a foundation to keep building up both the grammar and vocabulary. I would recommend it to people who are considering learning Mandarin.
What is your ethnicity?
And can you give some more details on your results?

Also, do you have a forum where you can practice Mandarin?
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #47
F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
What is your ethnicity?
And can you give some more details on your results?

Also, do you have a forum where you can practice Mandarin?
I'm a white guy .

Results... hard to be specific, but I can order a drink at the restaurant, tell my girl that I miss her, welcome people to my home, describe my family, nationality etc. I've learned pinyin enough to be able to learn new words. From just once a week over 2 mo classes, that feels like a decent achievement.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #48
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
I'm a white guy .

Results... hard to be specific, but I can order a drink at the restaurant, tell my girl that I miss her, welcome people to my home, describe my family, nationality etc. I've learned pinyin enough to be able to learn new words. From just once a week over 2 mo classes, that feels like a decent achievement.
That's pretty impressive.
Congrats on the success.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #49
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
I've heard nothing but good things about Key Language Training. I know the director personally and she comes from a background of teaching, and is very passionate about what she does. She's fluent in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and French and has licenses to do Mandarin-English, Mandarin-French translations. Sometimes I catch glimpses of her or her teachers classes, and they are always very nice and friendly, and always keep things pretty casual so that you can learn things that you want (lol, i've actually seen a guy ask about what to say to flirt with girls- but it was one of those ABC types so probably not you). I know she even does corporate lessons targeted especially for businesses and/or real estate so that you can do better businesses in Vancouver. Definitely check them out if you are thinking of taking Mandarin classes.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #50

Quote:
I'm a white guy .

how much did it cost??
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote