REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #51
F30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I think it was $300. You can look it up on their website, it's listed under courses. Apparently they do one on one too, but groups are so small that I didn't see the need.
Advertisement
F30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #52
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
...Also, do you have a forum where you can practice Mandarin?
Maybe we should start a RS mandarin meetup group?
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #53
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,694 Times in 1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
Maybe we should start a RS mandarin meetup group?
and invite niu99?
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #54
My homepage has been set to RS

bump

anyone know a place in lower mainland to learn CANTONESE? key language seems to be mandarin only
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #55
c3m
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^
Depends on how well you know Canto

The Chinese Cultural Center of Greater Vancouver have some courses in Coquitlam/Vancouver/Richmond
http://www.cccvan.com/education_en.html

but if you want to be fluent with slang and not sound like you speaking out of a text book then just go watch some TVB shows and look at the Chinese subtitles
c3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #56
(╯□)╯聽不到 ╮(□╮)

Thanked 11,133 Times in 2,228 Posts
Skinnypupp
u can laugh all you want on this one..
do ask carlos douh, that youtube guy to give you some pointers in learning cantonese.

hes a chill dude and encourages these things.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #57

i am noob level, absolutely know nothing in chinese. The link from cccvan - they offer courses starting in february, but i'd like to learn now, so that won't work i think. Looking for a formal lesson sorta thing

who's carlos douh?..
Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #58
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,925 Times in 945 Posts
^Youtube it. Some white guy that lived in HK for a long ass time and has better canto than me being chinese.

Last edited by LP700-4; 07-10-2012 at 10:07 PM.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #59
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 1,395 Times in 692 Posts
+1 for Rosetta Stone. I've had a couple people use it and it worked quite well for them.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #60
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,450 Times in 1,458 Posts
Ulic's mandarin plan:

get some basic professional lessons. learn some fuckin pinyin cuz that's all you'll need.

forget about learning characters, cuz you'll never succeed in that area.

get many mainlander/taiwanese girlfriends that prefer to speak chinese. verbal mandarin will improve sexponentially.

move to china, fuck lots of girls and make tons of money.

come back to vancouver, throw money at common people and spit on the ground.

congrats, now you have become awesome. hahaha..
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #61

^ have lived in a war torn israel during the gulf war before. would rather live there durijg a constant threat of war than live in china at its most prosperous state. not joking. ill take the bitches u speak pf tho
Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #62

Thanked 2,160 Times in 857 Posts
I think the key of learning a language is immersion. You just have to make yourself fit into the particular language.

I used to travel to certain countries just to get a grip on their language... two month in Italy, another two in Brazil... etc. and used my spanish as foundation to those European languages.

Not that I'm fluent in those languages now, but I can carry a casual conversation without much difficulty.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #63
I keep RS good

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
^ have lived in a war torn israel during the gulf war before. would rather live there durijg a constant threat of war than live in china at its most prosperous state. not joking. ill take the bitches u speak pf tho
what? why?

that's just pure ignorance.

I'm looking to move there.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
what? why?

that's just pure ignorance.

I'm looking to move there.
lol i was being a bit dramatic, not THAT serious. haha but personally the culture is not for me - people are rude, always in a rush, everything is about class, everything is about materialism, can't own a car unless you're loaded, too crowded etc. China is obviously not the place like this, and obviously it's for some people, just not for me
Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #65

Quote:
lol i was being a bit dramatic, not THAT serious. haha but personally the culture is not for me - people are rude, always in a rush, everything is about class, everything is about materialism, can't own a car unless you're loaded, too crowded etc. China is obviously not the place like this, and obviously it's for some people, just not for me
I would second this...

I have been in China a lot lately for a project. And there is not enough salary you could pay me to live there.

This was in Beijing and Shanghai... luckily, my clients cover all my flights (in business class ) and I am there only when it's necessary.

I did travel a bit while I was there and people in small villages are still kind enough. But again, it has a lot to do with the money you are bringing in...
Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #66
I keep RS good

yeah well, obviously you move there if you're rich, or want to get rich and live the rich lifestyle, and be able excersize that power without restriction.

if you want to be a normal you stay here where it's safe and platonic.

talking about living in one of the mega cities, not some village obviously.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #67

if exercising power without restriction is your thing is a communist country the best bet?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #68
PYT
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

i always wanted to learn some kind of chinese
PYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #69
I keep RS good

Quote:
if exercising power without restriction is your thing is a communist country the best bet?
yes. you are far more free there than you are here.

you're "safe" here, but not free. too much public opinion and red tape.

in china, anything goes as long as you aren't stepping on anyone's toes, or you have more power than them.

there's a misconception that as soon as you step foot in china, you feel like a slave or something. it's completely opposite. I think most people would actually feel more liberated and free (the average person, not if you're a poor mother fucker, but that goes for anywhere in the world).

for low level freedoms, you do whatever you please, dress however you want, act however you want, no one will judge or care. anyone that stares, is curious about your actions, not because they want to be rude.
smoke pot on the streets, go do things that would be considered sinful or unmoral. women and drugs are endless. contrary to belief, only dealers get executed, users have less punishment than here in vancouver LOL!
if you're not into that sorta shit, there's many other personal freedoms that you can enjoy there, that you could never get here without being judged or have someone lecture you try to convert you to their "correct" ways or something.

you're also free from fundamental christian beliefs and values (which are deeply integrated into our culture)

the higher levels of freedoms come with money and more importantly, through connections and hookups. You see in china, it's not just about how skillfull you are, or how much money you have. there's a hierarchy, and you climb it by befriending people higher up than you.

one thing i notice, the more i hang out with mainlanders, the more i think the chinese culture is very triad like... then i came to a realisation...
the chinese culture isnt very triad like...
it's that triad culture is based off chinese culture. the other way around!

the people you know, can bend rules for you, you can do whatever the fuck you want if you know the right people. give them face, they'll give you face. scratch their backs they'll scratch your back. and it isnt a business deal, it's expected.

anyone that's very good at making friends and connections, would THRIVE there. forget about school, or skills. as long as you've got half a brain, some street smarts, and you're suave, you can make it big there. when i mean big, i mean multi millionaire. money is leaking if not pouring out of every nook cranny and crevasse there. the economy is booming, and there is so much money everywhere.
and best of all, opportunity is NOT equal. therefore YOU as a person with connections and a better background, have an EXPONENTIALLY higher chance of becoming a multi millionaire.

remember the wild wild west?
i call china the wild wild east. think of the wild wild west, where power, money, and women, was everything. now fast forward to 2012, replace all the cowboys with chinese people, and all the old school technology with today's technology.

that's what china is. just wild as fuck. you have to be a cowboy to survive there. strut down the street with your shiny boots, shiny gun hanging out and whatever badge you've obtained, pinned on your chest, shinning in everyone's eye. be respectful and give face to people above you. the line continues both ways, above and below you.

you see, when you have power there, you are the government. you join the gang. you get your cut of the cake, and you run it whatever way you want, as long as it's not cutting off a piece of cake that belongs to someone higher up than you.

I'm a typical male, power sex and money. I want to play in a playground, and china is that playground.

plus I'm kind of a sloth, that and my mind is too fixated on furthering my status and gaining power. I don't have time to do normal people things. they hinder me SO fucking much. chores, cleaning, dusting, cooking, groceries, errands. FUCK that shit. a king doesnt have time to do that shit. for some chump change, i can get people doing all those things for me 7 days a week. for a bit more i can hire another to do all my secretarial and administrative work, fuck she'd suck my dick if i paid her a bit more too. your dream can be BOUGHT.

human rights, activism, etc. etc. are all good too, but I'll leave that up to the western ideologists to develop, they do what they do best...

but I'm going to go play, where they play hardest.

trust me, I was totally anti chinese. very western closed minded. after a few years of letting my ego go, and exploring what could be beneficial to me, I've been convinced.
i realised, the world isnt just one dominant culture that spreads and eventually will consume and take over.
there's always two sides to the coin. the other side of the coin is the far east. they're not going to go anywhere. they have totally different system of beliefs and values. everything functions slightly differently there. if you have a hard time achieving your dream here, but it's 100x easier to achieve there, the logical thing to do would be to go there.
some people function better here, some over there.

plus i swear, of all the global cities i've been to, shanghai has the highest average concentration of the most beautiful women. and im a sucker for beautiful women. beautiful, filthy rich women.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 07-11-2012 at 01:36 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #70
I keep RS good

anyways, learn mandarin.
it can only benefit you.

you might get the money, but you'll definitely get the girls.

you can't lose.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #71

lol nice...well i started doing rosetta stone because i couldn't find any cantonese formal lessons locally that started right away. Unfortunately rosetta stone is only mandarin so...
Old 07-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
plus i swear, of all the global cities i've been to, shanghai has the highest average concentration of the most beautiful women. and im a sucker for beautiful women. beautiful, filthy rich women.
Not sure which part of PVG you were in, but the overall women quality in Shanghai is pretty low. You might have luck in places like Xintiandi where girls go there for rich people or foreigners.

In concentration, I'd have to go with Taipei.

Also, you mentioned hierarchy, so I'm guessing you have some idea about Chinese culture. Do you have anyone to *climb onto* before making your decision to move there?

If not, forget about making anything decent over there. I had the luck of meeting a friend back in college where his family is quite high up in the hierarchy. Through him, I met many people who have facilitated my career both in Canada and China greatly. But without them, I don't think I have the slightest chance of accomplishing what I have done.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #73
I keep RS good

lol why all the fails?

either ignorance, or arrogance. there's no other explanation.

disagreeing on culture and lifestyle, is like failing someone because they like apples and you like oranges.
if you would just put that other fruit in your mouth and fucking chew it, you cannot deny the juices that flow are sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Not sure which part of PVG you were in, but the overall women quality in Shanghai is pretty low. You might have luck in places like Xintiandi where girls go there for rich people or foreigners.

In concentration, I'd have to go with Taipei.

Also, you mentioned hierarchy, so I'm guessing you have some idea about Chinese culture. Do you have anyone to *climb onto* before making your decision to move there?

If not, forget about making anything decent over there. I had the luck of meeting a friend back in college where his family is quite high up in the hierarchy. Through him, I met many people who have facilitated my career both in Canada and China greatly. But without them, I don't think I have the slightest chance of accomplishing what I have done.
you proved my point right, it's about who you know. you know first hand HOW fucking important it is.

I don't want to sound like a cocky asshole, but I probably already do, so whatever. I must admit I see a higher concentration of beautiful women because everyone I hang with there are children of government officials, fu er dai (including myself), and ex-pat multi million/billionaire investors. so yeah i have my way in. I also have family that run major operations in shanghai, hong kong and taipei. i can pick any place i want. i choose shanghai, that's the place i sense most hunger. most eagerness climb any ladder thrown at them. and of course throw my youth away hah.

dude obviously I have a way in if im choosing to MOVE there.
you don't move to china unless you know people.
if you don't know anyone, then you have to be bringing in a large sum of money.
those are the only two things that matter, i have access to both. (unless you're female, then possessing great beauty will get you anything you need for the rest of your life).

but i still don't think shanghai has low quality women. you only need to count where hot women congregate and count from there.
the gorgeous women in shanghai are... amazingly gorgeous, usually from the north, or west china. quality over quantity. and in a city of 22million people, if you hang with the elite within an elite city, you're going to meet the most beautiful. I'm not saying taipei doesn't have any, they sure as hell do too, but the quality of the best compared to the best of both cities, shanghai tops it. half of the most beautiful women you meet in shanghai will be multi millionaires as well. the ones in taipei? models? "fashionists"? always the same.

but i will admit, it is a very horrible city, for health.
you'll die much earlier living there.
but in the process you will become rich, powerful, and consume insane amount of drugs and fuck more women than you can handle.
most importantly, you really feel the power of money. the grasp it has over others. you just gotta make sure you're always on the side that has it.
i'd probably move back here to retire. or if i ever get married and have kids.

I'm only replying with these detailed pieces of information because, people want to learn mandarin.
there's only THREE motives to learn mandarin:

#1 The love of the women
#2 The love of the culture
#3 The love of money

I've basically laid out what china is actually like (from an extroverted businessman's point of view).
anyone with a different experience or perspective WHILE they were there can share their perspective.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 07-11-2012 at 09:55 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #74
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
People disagree with your post so they must be arrogant or ignorant? LOL! You do talk like a fu er dai, man. I failed you because I don't like your view of China..comes across as disrespectful to me and the way you express your views...you always post like your opinion is golden and everyone else must be wrong if they think differently. Also, it's annoying to read the word 'fuck' in virtually every paragraph.

btw, your extroverted businessman's point of view is generally only shared by other extroverted businessmen..and gives most westerners a bad name in China.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #75
I keep RS good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
People disagree with your post so they must be arrogant or ignorant? LOL! You do talk like a fu er dai, man. I failed you because I don't like your view of China..comes across as disrespectful to me and the way you express your views...you always post like your opinion is golden and everyone else must be wrong if they think differently. Also, it's annoying to read the word 'fuck' in virtually every paragraph.

btw, your extroverted businessman's point of view is generally only shared by other extroverted businessmen..and gives most westerners a bad name in China.
um yeah?
of course

ignorant because they actually don't know anything about china, and just bash the shit out of it because they're brainwashed by western media.

or arrogant because they don't want to admit.

can you explain anything else? why would someone hate china? (and in your case, hate my point of view of china, well guess what, that is ONE point of view, and it's a POSITIVE one, what's there to hate? the fact that there are more powerful people out there that have a higher income than you that live a different lifestyle that you disagree with? is that really a valid point?). plus my view of china is not wrong. it is exactly what i experienced and have put into practice. how can it be disrespectful, when it is the truth? what i described of china, HAPPENS in china, EVERYDAY, EVERYWHERE, and i experience it first hand every time im there. whats disrespectful about that?

or do you not like the fact that connections and money supersede skill and education?
did i not provide a solution to this? it's called the west. of course connections matter here too. but skill and education matter a lot more here than in china. i said two sides of a coin. we all live on this coin, it's up to you where you go to utilize your skills. i just happen to be luckily blessed with the ability to connect. that IS my skill.

as for me talking like a fu er dai. well it is my nature. I am one. i'd probably be the nicest most humble fu er dai you'd ever meet lol. but i always speak the truth, although sometimes exaggerated.

how am i disrespectful to you? why do you not like my view on china?
im not bashing it, im saying everything I like about it that interests me. In fact I think the west has a lot to learn from the east.

i could totally be a foodie and totally into their cultural history and geography, and go on and on and on about how great chinese food and all that stuff is.
but guess what, i have no interest in that area... so i post stuff that im interested in. stuff i love and experienced.

so how am i disrespectful?
you're of chinese background? so am i. you you cant use that one.

I never said anyone was wrong in my posts, i was just stating what i have felt and observed in china. i am definitely not wrong.

and the people that bash china are definitely not right. there is no place on this planet that is a shit hole to live in. well maybe some, but i can't really even begin to name one. perhaps the depths of the unexplored congo jungle.

anyone that bashes any culture or ways of people, is just ignorant or arrogant. that you have to agree on.

and for my other posts, yeah, sometimes i come off as a guy on my high and mighty horse, but then what? how many people come up with explanations to try to sway my thinking? i can't think of many people that even TRY. and the ones that do don't really do a good job of thoroughly explaining, not just to me, but the hundreds if not thousands of other people reading. not worth your time? well that's arrogance. because it would most definitely be worth your time if this were real life. except the fact that you're reaching out to 1000x more people here than you would ever in real life. you don't share your mind, no one will care, no one will believe, no one will follow. you'll just be fighting a battle by yourself, most probably with yourself.

as for giving most westerners a bad name in china. most people i hang with in china are mainland chinese. fob to the max. they are my favourite people to hang with. in fact i rarely hang with abc's and cbc's of shanghai. i only do when im invited to their parties and i have to show my face out of respect. but why would i hang with them? they're the same people in taipei, shanghai, LA, vancouver, hong kong. I didn't go to china to hang with the same people i'd hang with anywhere else.

and yeah i say fuck a lot, it's my favourite word. i fucking swear a lot and say a lot of shit. I talk like this in real life. i type, the exact same way i talk.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 07-11-2012 at 11:11 PM.
This post thanked by: