REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #301
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I'm really in desperate need of players in my region I'm on NA west 3 if anyone wants to join... Add Jubomonkey on Origin.

I'm at 100k population with a gambling / tourist city.
Advertisement
Taxmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #302
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Simcity is being thoroughly examined, and there has been a recent discovery of a debug mode, and there's some tools released for enabling offline play and other options:

Hackers open up offline play, modding tools for SimCity | Ars Technica
Quote:
EA and Maxis' claim that it would take "significant engineering work" to make a workable offline version of SimCity took another hit today. Hackers have released modding tools that disable the game's periodic server checks without breaking the simulation. The tools also unlock other features not in the final game.

reddit is abuzz with news and guides for installing the SimCityPak, a downloadable package of files that lets players edit many elements of the UI and underlying game logic. The tools aren't incredibly user-friendly for the time being, but those with some Javascript experience and patience to learn can do things like disable the online connectivity requirement, fix the "fudged" population display, and even affect how the basic simulation works in some ways.

Hackers are still poring through the code to see what kinds of new features and gameplay can be unlocked (including, potentially, the holy grail of increased city size limits), but one of the most exciting discoveries so far has been a way to easily uncover the developers' debug mode. This mode allows for many features that players have been asking for in the consumer version of the game, including the ability to build highways through city limits and in the regional "dead space" between cities. These changes will apparently stay valid in the wider region after the city is synced to EA's central servers, though other users' cities will not see edits made to the regional landscape.

The debug menus also include references to terraforming tools, such as coastline and waterway building, which are currently disabled even in a hacked commercial copy of the game. Options for editing airplane flight paths, creating new docking points for ships, and creating new city and "great works" sites are also alluded to.

Ars was able to download and install a package file enabling this mode in less than a minute. For those who don't want to go through the hacking hassle, this YouTube video quickly shows how the debug mode works in practice. Another video shows a player using edited package files to bulldoze and cause disasters in other players' cities in the region (though the poster claims this was done without server syncing, to prevent any permanent harm from being done).

Last year, SimCity Creative and Art Director Ocean Quigley said the game was being "built to be moddable" at a GDC panel. He reaffirmed that stance in a tweet just last month, indicating modded package files would be allowed (but maybe not directly supported) once the game was released. Given the potential for menace on public servers being quickly unlocked by players, however, this stance may not last.

It's been rather incredible watching the gaming community's reaction to SimCity's launch over the last week and a half, and it's impressive to see that community taking action to try to fix the myriad disappointments in the game as it was released. We can't wait to see what other interesting modifications to the game the community will be able to uncover in the coming weeks and months
Old 03-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #303
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
anyone know how to get around this bug....

basically what happens is.. the land appears to be clear, and u try to plop a building or extension of a building down.. but u cant.

but it says you CAN... just when u try to plop it down nothing happens.

when i zoom in i see the problem... there's little doodas left over from whatever building or park i bulldozed.. like a bbq table or a fence.. but it cant be bulldozed again.. it just sits there... and i cant put anything over it or edit it. anything i build over it.. like a road... and demolish it again.. doesnt get rid of it.. its soooo fucking annoying.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #304
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I am sad to say that I have completely lost interest in this game despite me being a HUGE simcity fan...

the bugs and the unwelcome changes are just too much. I tried to love it, I really tried... but at the end of the day I just keep clicking back into my gigantic Simcity 4 region rather than login to origin and play the new game.

I'm sorry Maxis, and fuck you EA... but I have to say this is probably the last Simcity I will ever buy (and EA, the last game I will ever buy with your name slapped on it)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #305
Need to Seek Professional Help

Not sure what happened but i logged in last night and all my saved towns disappeared. I did accidently click the Simcity Recovery icon but that shouldnt wipe my towns should it? geez..
vapour_lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #306
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
anyone know how to get around this bug....

basically what happens is.. the land appears to be clear, and u try to plop a building or extension of a building down.. but u cant.

but it says you CAN... just when u try to plop it down nothing happens.
sort of same problem. I tried putting down an airport and theres definitely enough space but it won't let me. I have enough money and unlocked it too.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #307
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
I am sad to say that I have completely lost interest in this game despite me being a HUGE simcity fan...

the bugs and the unwelcome changes are just too much. I tried to love it, I really tried... but at the end of the day I just keep clicking back into my gigantic Simcity 4 region rather than login to origin and play the new game.

I'm sorry Maxis, and fuck you EA... but I have to say this is probably the last Simcity I will ever buy (and EA, the last game I will ever buy with your name slapped on it)
Like I said over a year ago ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I love the SimCity games ... but EA will find a way to completely fuck it up as they always do ...
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #308
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Ditto for me. I don't think I'll be launching this game up again for awhile until they fix everything (if it ever happens).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #309
Resident Bullshitter

For some reason, one of my city's recycling depot just won't produce anything... its packed with recyclable material, yet they aren't producing any plastic or alloy!!! All my other city have no problem burning up all recyclable material daily.
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #310
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
For some reason, one of my city's recycling depot just won't produce anything... its packed with recyclable material, yet they aren't producing any plastic or alloy!!! All my other city have no problem burning up all recyclable material daily.
Exact same thing happened to me, my ground got polluted because the recycling depot stopped working.

For me I built another (so I had two in total) and it magically jump started the one that didn't work, then I just destroyed one. Dumb yes, but hey i hope it works for ya.
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #311
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #312
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
Exact same thing happened to me, my ground got polluted because the recycling depot stopped working.

For me I built another (so I had two in total) and it magically jump started the one that didn't work, then I just destroyed one. Dumb yes, but hey i hope it works for ya.
I've been checking back and forward between my utility town, one with all power, water, sewage, garbage and another city, an educated and high wealth city. which has two of its own recycling center. There are 35-40 workers working in my high wealth city's recycling centre. But there are only 10 working in my utility town.

I'm guessing the recycling center requires educated and medium wealth workers. which my utility town lacks.

So maybe thats why my recycling center are using recyclables at only 0.7ton a day oppose to burning through 70-90 tons a day in my high wealth city. I was actually making quite a bit of money selling plastic and alloy from my recyclables!

They seriously need to allow us to expand the recycling center to accept more recyclables!
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #313
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Here's the list of free games that EA is giving out for those who get the game before March 25.

http://www.ea.com/news/for-our-patie...Lh7WnR3ffBah7Q

Quote:
Here is the list of games that you will be able to choose from once you are able to redeem. It’s a great list of games across the whole EA portfolio, so pick one and add it to your Origin library on us!

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
Need For Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #314
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

SimCity 4? lol
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #315
The "You'd Know" Moderator

^ lol.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #316
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Returned this game back to Amazon, trying Simcity 4 for my quick fix.
VTECACCORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #317
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
Here's the list of free games that EA is giving out for those who get the game before March 25.

For Our Patient and Amazing Mayors - A Free PC Download From Origin - EA News
only game worth it in that list is bf3, all the others are already available for "free" if you really want it, lol.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #318
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Just a heads up that BF3 is the regular edition and doesn't include the DLCs with extra maps and weapons.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #319
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
only game worth it in that list is bf3, all the others are already available for "free" if you really want it, lol.
I might go for Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition) or Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition) since I already have BF3... LOL what's with PvZ that's like with 99 cents went it is on sale on steam @@
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #320
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
Just a heads up that BF3 is the regular edition and doesn't include the DLCs with extra maps and weapons.
buy premium and its like you bought the game for half price :P
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #321
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
YES i think they fixed the traffic problems!!

I have only been turning on my sims to check the updates.

https://help.ea.com/article/simcity-patch-notes
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #322
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,466 Times in 190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
YES i think they fixed the traffic problems!!

I have only been turning on my sims to check the updates.

https://help.ea.com/article/simcity-patch-notes
Definite noticed traffic problem fixed.
Posted via RS Mobile
FRStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #323
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

So my city was in a state in which I was making massive amounts of money via trade. I left it for 3.5 hours to play FIFA, came back, and saw that my city was broke, all the buildings were in 'rubble' form (apparently looks like a massive fire happened), and most of my sims left the city. FML, $10 mil cash, 200,000 citizens all gone in 3.5 hours lol
CT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #324
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
lol you cannot LEAVE YOUR CITY UNATTENDED.

that is retarded. disasters will happen. shit will happen that REQUIRES your attention.

to leave it unattended is a huge gamble.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #325
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I used to do that in old SC all the time cept with saves it doesn't really matter. You just roll back. Can't do that with cloud saves.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote