REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #26
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
(Somewhat related)

Machine Gun Preacher is a movie starring Gerard Butler related to the LRA & Joseph Kony.
It stars Gerard Butler as a former scumbag who finds religion, goes to Africa & opens a church, then ends up leading armed resistance against the LRA.

You should check it out.
Advertisement
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #27
fd3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Yeah its crazy watched it last night and was like woah
Posted via RS Mobile
fd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #28
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Yeah, regarding those fb statuses, I too argue that people are just jumping on the bandwagon, because its become so popular. All I get back is mindless bitching and cussing back, no logic whatsoever.
Its like these people have lived in caves and don't know this happens elsewhere too...
As to weather or not I support it, the publiuc attention is good, but someone is definetly making money, and here comes more war n slaughter, for the better?
Posted via RS Mobile
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
^1+
Posted via RS Mobile
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #30
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
+1, god damn bandwagoners
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #31

the video basically asks ppl to bandwagon. it says if u dont dedicate your life to this or buy their kit or spend ome or money on this cause just help them out by posting it to your fb etc. so what the FUCK is wrong with bandwaggoning? maybe one person who reads my fb status will also share it and then one person who reads their's will donate money when they otherwise would not know of it. what the fuck is wrong with that? how does it affect you in any possible way other than you seeing some kony fb posts for two weeks? give me a fucking break
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #32

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Pretty much sums up people on facebook:

Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

scam scam scam scam, wont watch, wont ever watch.
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #34
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
the video basically asks ppl to bandwagon. it says if u dont dedicate your life to this or buy their kit or spend ome or money on this cause just help them out by posting it to your fb etc. so what the FUCK is wrong with bandwaggoning? maybe one person who reads my fb status will also share it and then one person who reads their's will donate money when they otherwise would not know of it. what the fuck is wrong with that? how does it affect you in any possible way other than you seeing some kony fb posts for two weeks? give me a fucking break
Posted via RS Mobile
Blindly donating money is of no benefit to anyone, other than the questionable charities themselves. The position of Invisible Children is short sighted and ignorant. If you want to help suffering African children create a Facebook status suggesting your friends donate to a charity recognized as providing a legitimate benefit.

When you share the KONY 2012 video you are supporting military intervention by a foreign power. Soldiers from first and second world countries cannot effectively fight eight year olds, and even if somehow one evil man falls, another is always waiting in the wings to rise and usurp the opening. Stop the flow of bullets and you'll stop the war, of course, that would be a very unpopular view among the UN security council.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #35
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Zomg guys I have a great idea, lets all make our fb profile pictures to be Joseph Kony! This will surely stop his reign of terror.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #36

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
trying to get the UN to help? good luck with that, unless Uganda's got resources (aka oil), there is no political reason for other countries to waste their time
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #37
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
I too argue that people are just jumping on the bandwagon
Posted via RS Mobile
story of revscene
danizer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #38
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
how do you argue with people who live in fantasy land? whose only argument is that its better to support than to hinder the cause
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #39
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,563 Times in 171 Posts
I believe the whole thing is somewhat a scam. If the US military is already dispatched, why need donations? The US already spends trillions of dollars on their military.

I support the cause of the arrest of Kony, but what good will that do? It'll stop the LRA, but for how long? There's always going to be someone else that will take over Kony's position.

I think the real problem is the structure of the government. Something such as this is nearly impossible to commit in 1st world countries. Fix the broken government that will protect its citizens.
Fappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #40
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
People live under rocks and are sheltered most of their lives. They need these MTV styled videos to motivate them and to get them riled up for a cause. Otherwise, their lives would just be plain boring. Whether or not their cause is real or not, the point is, they did something, or so they THINK. If it makes them feel good about themselves, and if they can tell other people "look what I did to help poor kids," then it's all a good cause, right? Wrong.

Ultimately, if someone is going to take part in one of these viral campaigns, they need to do their own research and investigate the cause, the history and the organization. As we've unraveled from research already shown in this thread, this video was shot in 2003 and since then this problem has been eradicated or at least relieved a fair bit. Many sources have also reported that Kony is already dead. So what exactly are you achieving in this campaign if the goals have already been achieved years ago? Self-satisfaction? People able to say you took part in something good? Guess what, this Kony guy is a dime a dozen and if you're going to try and make a relief effort, make sure it's legitimate and you know what you're cause is, don't be ignorant and follow because X, Y and Z are doing it.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I looked up their finances KONY 2012 - Help raise awareness and stop Joseph Kony : videos

and on a charity review site, they list the main 3 guys as making ~ $90k/year
yeah damn these guys in NPO, how dare they make more than $35k a year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
wow the statistics of OP's video is amazing

March 4: 8 views
March 5: 58,000 views
March 6: 27,000,000 views
March 7: 43,000,000 views
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dev View Post
While the Kony part of this is important. I am more interested in the process of the campaign. If this is successful it shows the population that they do in fact have some power over politics. In the future this type of population awareness could help bring to light many other important issues the general public is unaware of.
exactly. I am not saying for people to blindly take the entire video for face value and make your stance all from one video. It does incredibly show how the masses can influence the policymakers up top...the inverted triangle and the red KONY 2012 posters kind of reminds me of the raised fist.

oh yeah, and the power of teh internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Many sources have also reported that Kony is already dead.
Sauce?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #42
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Also, related but not directly on topic:

Rush Limbaugh Defended Joseph Kony And Lord's Resistance Army | News One
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #43
kwy

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
This organization smelled fishy from the start. People need to think for themselves and do their own research rather than get spoon fed by social media and questionable "non profits."

I admire that people want change, or think they are doing something to help, but this won't really do anything. Shit like this is nothing new. Armchair activism never solved one fucking problem.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #44
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
yeah damn these guys in NPO, how dare they make more than $35k a year!
How dare a person who chooses to work for a non-profit organization choose to pay themselves more than double the industry standard salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundyt View Post
Compensation of Leaders (FYE 06/2011)

Compensation % of Expenses Paid to Title
$88,241 0.99% Ben Keesey Chief Executive Officer

Other Salaries of Note
$89,669 1.00% Jason Russell Co-Founder, Filmmaker
$84,377 0.94% Laren Poole Co-Founder, Filmmaker
Quote:
Theatre Producer: Average salary $38,030 - $56,960/year
Technical Director/Manager: Average salary $57,160/year
Directors, Stage, Motion Pictures, Television, and Radio: Average salary $57,160/year
Set Designer: Average salary $32,230 - $42,460/year
Actor: Average salary $36,790/ year
Film Editor : Average salary $36,630 - $57,720/year
Managers: $44.64/ day
Camera operators: $22.38/ day
Sales reps: $20.12/ day
Editors: $19.92/ day
A/V equipment techs: $16.03/ day
Film Industry Salaries | Information about average film industry salaries

Red Cross; Salary, $995,718; Percent of total expenses, 0.02%; Gail J. McGovern, President, CEO.
Invisible Children; Salary, $88,241; Percent of total expenses, 0.99%; Ben Keesy, Chief Executive Officer.

The percentage of Ben Keesy's salary to the total annual operating expenses is 49.5 times higher than that of the CEO of American Red Cross.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-07-2012 at 03:01 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #45
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
lol so many bandwagoners on my facebook lol fucken scammers
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #46
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
riiiight...so now we are hate bandwagoning the bandwagoners....

i hearts the interwebs.

the sole purpose of this is to raise awareness. watch it...or don't watch it. donate...or don't donate. sign a petition or don't sign it. criticize those who didn't know about this before and act all high and fucking mighty all you want. act like a fucking hipster and refuse to engage in the Kony 2012 rhetoric b/c it is too mainstream or the dudes in charge make too much damn money or because Uganda isn't the only place this is happening or we should deal with our own problems before looking to another country or because of a thousand other reasons why hearing about Kony 2012 yesterday and today pissed you off so much.

Does. Not. Fucking. Matter. Why? Because the vast majority of people in the developed world are going to click share....read about something they were not aware of (omgwtfbbq!? you mean there are actually people out there who do NOT know about EVERY major and minor social issue in EVERY country in the world!!), and maybe think twice about the decisions they make and how lucky they are to have 10 different meal choices at McDonald's tonight!

The Kony 2012 peeps have already reached half their goal between yesterday and today...educating a whole shit-pile of people unaware of what the fuck is happening in Uganda. It took 24 hours. I hope they succeed with part two...capturing the fucker.

I am not going to sit hear and preach off about how I am so great b/c I knew about this before and have read about it, blah blah blah....what did I do about it? Dick all.....at least this dude is trying to do something which is more than can be said for any of us......whether you shared the video or bitched about not sharing it.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #47
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Typical US mentality. I fucking hate it, they're always the Moral Superior and the Savior of everyone, but yet fail to realize their own government has participated in so many illegal wars and other atrocities through CIA covert ops.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #48
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
riiiight...so now we are hate bandwagoning the bandwagoners....

i hearts the interwebs.

the sole purpose of this is to raise awareness. watch it...or don't watch it. donate...or don't donate. sign a petition or don't sign it. criticize those who didn't know about this before and act all high and fucking mighty all you want. act like a fucking hipster and refuse to engage in the Kony 2012 rhetoric b/c it is too mainstream or the dudes in charge make too much damn money or because Uganda isn't the only place this is happening or we should deal with our own problems before looking to another country or because of a thousand other reasons why hearing about Kony 2012 yesterday and today pissed you off so much.

Does. Not. Fucking. Matter. Why? Because the vast majority of people in the developed world are going to click share....read about something they were not aware of (omgwtfbbq!? you mean there are actually people out there who do NOT know about EVERY major and minor social issue in EVERY country in the world!!), and maybe think twice about the decisions they make and how lucky they are to have 10 different meal choices at McDonald's tonight!

The Kony 2012 peeps have already reached half their goal between yesterday and today...educating a whole shit-pile of people unaware of what the fuck is happening in Uganda. It took 24 hours. I hope they succeed with part two...capturing the fucker.

I am not going to sit hear and preach off about how I am so great b/c I knew about this before and have read about it, blah blah blah....what did I do about it? Dick all.....at least this dude is trying to do something which is more than can be said for any of us......whether you shared the video or bitched about not sharing it.
DOES. FUCKING. MATTER. And you just proved why. Kony and the LRA have not been causing problems in Northern Uganda for 6 years or more. The video that is going viral is chalk full of holes and misconceptions and blatantly misleads its viewers by making them think a war is going on. It's bullshit that's just lining the pockets of the 'charity' whose financials are questionable. You're praising the spread of lies and saying it's good that people are becoming "aware" while proving you don't even know what you're arguing. Good job.

Last edited by JD像; 03-07-2012 at 04:18 PM.
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #49
This title intentionally left blank MOD

Visible Children - KONY 2012 Criticism

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #50
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: