REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Condo Garage Parking Space (https://www.revscene.net/forums/664340-condo-garage-parking-space.html)

i-VTEC 03-08-2012 07:42 PM

Condo Garage Parking Space

It's probably stupid question, but I was hoping to get some answers

I live in one of the "many" condos in Richmond, unfortunately, I don't have a storage space.

As you probably know condo's parking spot are in Level 1, 2 or 3

Let just say My parking space is at Level 1.

I have a parking spot, look like this

|| a | b || 0 | 1 || c | d ||

"0" represents my car
"1" represents my brother's car
"a" represents some nice old lady's car
"c" represents some Asian family's car
"b, d" represents someone hardly ever seen
"||" a pole
"|" a line separate the parking slot

can I leave my 4x steel winter tires at the space in between my car and my brother's car(he doesn't mind)

wrapped nicely with those big black garbage bags?

I don't see anyone else putting things at their slot, but I was thinking, if the parking spot belongs to you, you can put whatever you want right?

Unlike the balcony, there is regulation on you can't dry and leave your clothes there.

I could put my 4x winter tires at my balcony (7th floor) like I have for my 4x alloy all seasons, however, since my winter tires are steel, 4x would be way too heavy for balcony to handle that much weight

Thanks for you guys help

Paradise240 03-08-2012 07:47 PM

You run the risk of someone just stealing your wheels, assuming you didn't lock it up or something but a chain is still very easy to cut.

I would talk to the the owner or whoever owns the property or makes the rules and ask.

blum2001 03-08-2012 07:50 PM

It all depends on your strata. In my building the only thing that can be in my stall is my car and motorcycle. Anything else the strata and building manager has the right to remove it. Not that they ever will but like Paradise said, I'd be more worried about a random person stealing your wheels instead.

i-VTEC 03-08-2012 07:51 PM

Also wondering how much would a typical, a 205/55/16 Steel Winter Tires weight? 40KG?

40KG * 4 = 160 KG = 3 ppl's weight on the balcony. Will Balcony hold up that much?

How much weight can balcony handle anyways :smug:

My balcony size is 210CM width, 100CM length

Paradise240 03-08-2012 07:56 PM

I had some steelies that were 25lbs easy, and they were 15" rims. A tire would be maybe 10lbs to 15lbs ? Maybe 40lbs, but not 40kg :)

Another reason to get light weight rims, for ease of storage and not just for performance :thumbs:

I stand corrected, it's closer to 17-20lbs per tire, according to this chart Google showed me
http://www.miata.net/faq/tire_weights.html

Lowered_Klass 03-08-2012 07:58 PM

Depends on how picky your strata is, not to mention, how picky other residents are. Your immediate neighbours might be fine with it, but someone passing by even in their car, might have an issue with it. Sad but true.

I would go talk to your building/resident manager, and see what they say. I know in my building, there is no way in hell you can have ANYTHING in your stall(s) besides the actual vehicle.

The other side of it, wouldn't you be worried about someone walking away with your wheels? I don't care how nice of a building you think you may live in, shit always gets stolen from condos.

I would either put them into your actual storage unit in the building, or don't be lazy, and haul the wheels up to your appt. Since you're on the 7th floor, you should be in a concrete building right? Then it will for sure hold the weight of 4 wheels. Even if it was a wood frame building, it would still hold the weight of 4 wheels. Keep in mind, if your strata has a bylaw about shit being kept on your balcony, I bet you'd get in shit for having wheels up there too.

Sometimes living in condos sucks when it comes to car stuff. I feel your pain :(

i-VTEC 03-08-2012 08:06 PM

ya condo does sucks for car stuff

a full propane tank = 40lb which = 1 steel winter tires

how much does bbq grill stand weight? =p

the all season winter tires on my balcony right now are wrapped in bag, and lay side by side to spread out the weight even and since its in a bag, no one will know what it is, unless you stare at it for couple of hours

I googled, its 25 lb per sq inch (on the safe side), that a usual concrete building balcony can hold

sq inch = 12 by 12

my balcony is about 100cm (length ) 210cm (width) = 40inch by 82inch

RecklessNS 03-08-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blum2001 (Post 7823777)
It all depends on your strata. In my building the only thing that can be in my stall is my car and motorcycle. Anything else the strata and building manager has the right to remove it. Not that they ever will but like Paradise said, I'd be more worried about a random person stealing your wheels instead.

+1 This and when I moved into my building (which is Strata) some chick right beside me used to put all her storage in that little gap between the spaces and it would always have to pull out before anyone could get in the passenger and when I take my bike out i would have to walk it out of my stall so i've seen people do it and some have been notified but still just be considerate of the people around you and be sure to ask your building manager or view your building rules/regulations on parking stalls.

Sky_High 03-08-2012 08:15 PM

Sorry, I don't know how the "many condo's" in Richmond look like, but is it

1) Lay out like your everyday normal parking lot?

or

2) The type that's has an individual gate for a+b, individual gate for 0+1, individual gate for c+d?
Tried to google a pic...but couldn't find one.
But I know there are some condo's in Richmond that are like that.....

fliptuner 03-08-2012 10:36 PM

Chances are you can't do it. Some older buildings are more lenient about storing shit in your parking stall though. I'm guessing you don't park against a wall.

Anyways, a few hundred pounds on the balcony shouldn't be a problem.

TRDood 03-08-2012 10:48 PM

Usually you can't park anything other than your vehicle in the condo garage. Isn't it a safety or fire hazard? Also what happens if there's a garage cleaning day?

I store my wheels in the balcony. I once had 12 wheels+tires in there, plus other junk to the point theres no walking room. It held up fine. My balcony is the size of a small bathroom without shower.
Posted via RS Mobile

i-VTEC 03-08-2012 10:51 PM

My condo was built in 2008, so quite new, i guess it can hold up few hundred pounds haha

thanks guys

i-VTEC 03-08-2012 10:54 PM

perhaps, put 3x in the balcony, put 1x under my bed (that one will be washed super clean, clean so it doesn't grow/attract bugs)

godwin 03-09-2012 12:43 AM

or just pay Canadian Tire $100 a year for storage. (varies by franchisee) and they will swap them for you for free.

If you own your condo, I won't store tires anywhere in your house.. no matter how clean you clean them, there will still be brake dust and tires leave marks.

Think about it.. a tire weights about say 80lb.. 4x is like 2-3 people there.. if your balcony can't handle that kind of weight, I don't think you should live in it.

i-VTEC 03-09-2012 06:54 AM

Well I'm going to bag the tire of course. Even fact, I'm going to quad-bag it. Let see how dust break through with 4 garbage bags.

RabidRat 03-09-2012 07:09 AM

+1 for storing it at a tire shop. It's a hell of a lot less headache esp when swapping your wheels is included as part of the pkg.

i-VTEC 03-09-2012 07:10 AM

I guess storing is not too bad

F30 03-09-2012 07:11 AM

It sounds like you are in a concrete building, if that is so, then don't worry about the weight of wheels, your balcony will be just fine.

I would not leave wheels in an open garage, just like everyone mentioned - someone will steal them.

When I lived in a condo, I carried my wheels to the balcony every season and hated every little bit of that process, from taking them to the elevator to bagging them. I highly recommend spending a little extra on storage, especially if your local Kal Tire or Canadian Tire will do it for a reasonable amount of money.

Gridlock 03-09-2012 07:33 AM

Just no, not even a little bit.

Stratas and complaints just go hand in hand.

I was working at one downtown, and had my drywallers on-site to obviously do some drywall work. We were looking at the doors and elevators and decided that 4x8 sheets were not going to fit through nicely, so we decided to do rough cuts to size in the garage and take cut pieces through the building.

The consierge tells me that in 1 day, I had already registered a complaint from another resident that "work" of any kind is not to happen in the parking garage.

So I ask her, what would you have had me do. She told me that in the hall outside the elevator would have been acceptable.

I vacuumed the garage! It was cleaner than when we started. Not some shop vac, kind of cleans but doesn't kind of vacuuming, but brush attachment, this thing is shiny clean for a huge circle around the spot.

And they tell me that in the hall outside the elevator, with people coming and going, tracking dirt would have been the way to go.

I hate stratas. You have dumb people that only think of themselves get a little boner when they can impose the rules on someone.

You'll have a note under your door in less than 24 hours.

IMASA 03-09-2012 08:07 AM

However, you need to check with your strata bylaws to see if storing items on the balcony is acceptible. Ours says we can not store household items and non-patio related stuff.
One unit in our place racked up a few $$$ in fines because they were American and only went to their unit a few times a year.

If your balcony is not exposed and hidden from view (ours is not), then you might be able to get away with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F30 (Post 7824222)
It sounds like you are in a concrete building, if that is so, then don't worry about the weight of wheels, your balcony will be just fine.

UFO 03-09-2012 08:43 AM

^our building has the same policy with the enclosed balconies, they are not for storage or household items. The purpose is just to keep things looking clean and tidy from the outside. Since they are enclosed, majority of residents will use them as living space though. I use mine for storage, just keep my blinds closed all the time and it's not crammed to the brim full of junk.

lowside67 03-09-2012 09:10 AM

And the same is true of the parkade. It looks like junk when everybody's random stuff is sitting behind their spot when the car isn't in the spot. Wheels in bags maybe not so much but my neighbour left a bench seat out of his crappy Previa van along with all sorts of true "junk" and it just looked awful.

Mark

InvisibleSoul 03-09-2012 10:54 AM

I know our building also has a rule forbidding storage of items in parking spots.

sonick 03-09-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d87c (Post 7823761)
4x would be way too heavy for balcony to handle that much weight

lol shit, I've had almost 10 guys on my high-rise balcony at once before... that was a bad idea :badpokerface:

kgatz 03-09-2012 11:18 AM

no, you can't store tires in a parkade, they're a hazard and increase the chances of theft on the property which can affect the strata corporations insurance premiums.

also you do not own that space, it is common property, just like how most strata's do not even allow you to store stuff on your own balcony as it becomes an eye sore. a storage locker is only $5000