REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   What is a good All Season tire? *help pls* (https://www.revscene.net/forums/664350-what-good-all-season-tire-%2Ahelp-pls%2A.html)

tiger_handheld 03-08-2012 09:33 PM

What is a good All Season tire? *help pls*

I have narrowed it down as follows and I need help deciding which is the best in terms of

- ALL SEASON (wet , dry)
- Lowest ROAD NOISE
- BEST value
- LONGETIVITY

205/50-17 HANKOOK VENTUS V4 ES H105 93W BW
Brand: HANKOOK
Type: ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE ALL-SEASON
$501 installed

EDIT: removed FALKEN

205/50-17 ACHILLES Atr Sport 93W XL BW
Brand: ACHILLES
Type: 0
$425 installed

Continental Extreme Contact DWS
-Out of my budget - do not suggest.

I have a set of snow's that I run during winter so the above will only be used from Mar- Nov

Thanks for your help guys.

Firmware 03-08-2012 09:51 PM

I think achilles are the best bang for your buck, i heard Falkens ware out easily .

Mr.C 03-08-2012 09:51 PM

I've been hearing good things about the AS-03 from General Tire.

CP.AR 03-08-2012 09:52 PM

I will STAY AWAY FROM FALKEN
I bought mine 2 years ago... fresh & brand new. (Falken ZE-512)
I don't drive aggressively, cover about 40km/workday

They only have about 15% tread on them now....
On the flip side, they are really quiet tires, ride well, and are quite grippy. I think they just market them as All Seasons, since they are complete shit in anything but sun

How about looking at Continental Extreme Contact DWS? If it wasn't for Discount Tire running out of stock I wouldn't have ever gotten these falkens to begin with

tofu1413 03-08-2012 09:52 PM

lots of rs'ers claim the continental DWS extreme contacts are a good buy...

general exclaim UHP are nice...

whitev70r 03-08-2012 09:58 PM

+1 for the Continental DWS Extreme Contacts. But I doubt you can come in near $500 installed. If you're willing to spend a bit more, get these. Just go to Tirerack and check their specs and reviews.

TypeRNammer 03-08-2012 10:58 PM

+1 for DWS!

I have them for my car.

Pros would have to be low tire noise, and comfortable ride.

Minor downside would have to be the side walls, it's a tad on the soft side.

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-09-2012 12:43 AM

sorry to jack thread, does anyone know where the cheapest place to purchase DWS or ventus v12 are? Sorat was really cheap but now its gone up to 192 a tire for the kooks

bcrdukes 03-09-2012 01:03 AM

Avoid Falken like the plague. Their tires wear out fast and they just overall suck dick despite fan boy reviews on forums.

+1 to the Conti DWS

godwin 03-09-2012 01:16 AM

The US? You save the enviro fee off the bat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz (Post 7824137)
sorry to jack thread, does anyone know where the cheapest place to purchase DWS or ventus v12 are? Sorat was really cheap but now its gone up to 192 a tire for the kooks

falcon 03-09-2012 02:19 AM

No all season tire is a "good" tire. You have winters already, just buy summer tires.

True story.

DavidNguyen 03-09-2012 03:56 AM

Yokohoma Avid Envigors
I just bought these and they r sick.
Tread wear is 560. So it will last u lonnnng timeeee
Posted via RS Mobile

RabidRat 03-09-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 7824169)
No all season tire is a "good" tire. You have winters already, just buy summer tires.

True story.

Because he wants them to last forever and they have to be cheap.

-1 on Falkens as well, they're not a good choice.

unit 03-09-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuro Ray (Post 7823981)
I will STAY AWAY FROM FALKEN
I bought mine 2 years ago... fresh & brand new. (Falken ZE-512)
I don't drive aggressively, cover about 40km/workday

They only have about 15% tread on them now....
On the flip side, they are really quiet tires, ride well, and are quite grippy. I think they just market them as All Seasons, since they are complete shit in anything but sun

How about looking at Continental Extreme Contact DWS? If it wasn't for Discount Tire running out of stock I wouldn't have ever gotten these falkens to begin with

i had those tires. i know all season doesnt mean snow, but if you ever get caught out when the snow comes down, you're not getting home in those.

ilvtofu 03-09-2012 08:44 AM

I went from Falken 912's to Conti DWS, noticed a huge improvement for daily use

had them for around 10,000 kms now hasn't really shown much if any wear. Never got stuck in the snow and great in the rain. I still have a set of winters though but thinking of running these year round for this coming winter.
They are oh so quiet but you are definitely paying a premium for all these improvements. At the end of the day though the price difference was less than $200 for something that I will run for at least a good 3 or 4 years so I bit the bullet.

As another member has said, take a look at the general UHP too.

Falken 912's were noisy and non-communicative(? engrish?) Also not as comfortable as the DWS.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, although the DWS is more than sufficient for the Snow we get here, I would not suggest running them in freezing cold weather as they are pretty much useless on ice which is what scared me into putting on the winters again.

Overseas Auto1 03-09-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu1413 (Post 7823983)
lots of rs'ers claim the continental DWS extreme contacts are a good buy...

general exclaim UHP are nice...

Exclaim UHP are discontinued. The AS-03 is the new model. I think the Continental DWS is the best for this market. I was at a Continental meeting a couple days ago. Continental focuses on safety and braking.

tofu1413 03-09-2012 09:13 AM

^ that i never knew. another tire i used to use were the michelin pilot exalto a/s.. they were not bad on the itr. just costed a pretty penny
Posted via RS Mobile

tiger_handheld 03-09-2012 09:23 AM

Thanks for the relies guys.

It's between the ACHILLIES and HANKOOK.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS are out of my budget so I can't get those.

Overseas Auto1 03-09-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7823961)
I have narrowed it down as follows and I need help deciding which is the best in terms of

- ALL SEASON (wet , dry)
- Lowest ROAD NOISE
- BEST value
- LONGETIVITY

205/50-17 HANKOOK VENTUS V4 ES H105 93W BW
Brand: HANKOOK
Type: ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE ALL-SEASON
$501 installed

EDIT: removed FALKEN

205/50-17 ACHILLES Atr Sport 93W XL BW
Brand: ACHILLES
Type: 0
$425 installed

Continental Extreme Contact DWS
-Out of my budget - do not suggest.

I have a set of snow's that I run during winter so the above will only be used from Mar- Nov

Thanks for your help guys.

Is that plus tire levy and HST?

tiger_handheld 03-09-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overseas Auto1 (Post 7824282)
Is that plus tire levy and HST?

the price include EVERYTHING -taxes, disposal fees(for old tires) balncing, etc. etc.

Also - I'm leaning towards HANKOOK cuz I have not heard of ACHILLIES..

Firmware 03-09-2012 10:28 AM

Check out these reviews to better make your judgement.

Achilles ATR Sport Tire Reviews (29 Reviews)

Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 Tire Reviews (67 Reviews)

crazyazn 03-09-2012 10:39 AM

I was looking up A/S tires the other day and I narrowed it down to these 2:

General G-Max AS-03
Kumho Ecsta 4X

Spectre_Cdn 03-09-2012 11:05 AM

I'm going for the General G-Max AS-03 next, reviews (Tire Rack and consumers) are decent and it looks like good value. I would've wanted to try the DWS but it doesn't come in 15" sizes. I would get the Pilot Exalto A/S if there was a valid rebate for Canadians purchasing from the states.

Teknique 03-09-2012 11:08 AM

After reading Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer

I think you should consider summer tires. We're basically rainy all the time, All-Season tires tested had the worst stopping distance in the wet, and you have winter tires to cover the snow. I hadn't factored in the tire wear yet, but if that's your concern, all the power to ya!

tiger_handheld 03-09-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn (Post 7824346)
I'm going for the General G-Max AS-03 next, reviews (Tire Rack and consumers) are decent and it looks like good value. I would've wanted to try the DWS but it doesn't come in 15" sizes. I would get the Pilot Exalto A/S if there was a valid rebate for Canadians purchasing from the states.

They are over my budget too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknique (Post 7824349)
After reading Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer

I think you should consider summer tires. We're basically rainy all the time, All-Season tires tested had the worst stopping distance in the wet, and you have winter tires to cover the snow. I hadn't factored in the tire wear yet, but if that's your concern, all the power to ya!

I did factor tire wear (Longetivity), I don't want to spend another $500 for atleast 2.5-3yrs or more.