REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 03-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #26
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts
It's up to you but it's a once in a lifetime kind of thing imo.. I went dateless last year (didn't bother me much after it sunk in) and my life was a mess but I still went. A couple of things made me mad but I don't regret going and I had a good time.
Posted via RS Mobile

mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #27
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 2,028 Times in 501 Posts
i remember thinking that it was the last time i was gon see alot of people ever again, and it was gon be the last time i was going to fuck around as a highschool kid. so we started smoking in the washroom, snuck a bunch of "goodies in" and had a great time. i even got to dance with my HS crush.

go why not you really got nothing to lose
Nicotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #28
vvd
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

In the worst case scenario you go, have a horrible time, and skip out early. What do you really have to lose other than money for a ticket to get in? IMO it's better to have gone and remember it as the most uneventful night of your life, than to always wonder about what it would've been like if you had gone. And yeah, sure, maybe there will be other parties later down the road in college etc., but it's not going to be with the same people you spent the past 5 years of your life with.

That's what went through my head when I was deciding whether or not to go.
vvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #29
Need to Seek Professional Help

go and have fun. without a date, you're not "confined" and can just enjoy yourself as much as you can. if its bunk, you can leave at any time. also, you can go with your friends to any after parties and everything just transitions smoothly. you're only young once so just enjoy yourself
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

There should be post-prom parties happening. If none are to be had, have a plan b ready with a bunch of your friends especially if you check out early. All the best memories are from after the prom anyways (and the following summer vacation).

Go and make the best of it then decide if you want to bail or not.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #31
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Up to you dude. Prom wasn't anything great for me. Mostly just sat a table, got bored, left early, went to the afterparty, got smashed.

After party >> prom. If possibly, attend the after party, get drunk, and lose the social awkwardness.

BTW, that friends forever shit, highschool BFF's for life stuff is a pile of crap. First year after high school I saw my high school friends maybe 2-3x in a year, after that life got busy and I didn't have time any more; haven't seen most of them since. We had some good times, but after high school reality sets in quick and most people change a lot ... i don't think I could get along with my high school friends any more. Any ways, moral of my story is don't get too hung up on being friends with everyone/doing everything everyone else does. Do what you want as long as it makes you happy.

If you're biggest worry is your social anxiety in big group situations, get creative and somehow smuggle some booze in and get tipsy .. should alleviate the awkwardness. Or turn you into a massive horndog who doesn't take no for an answer.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #32
無敵

^ After-party >>> Prom for sure

Same for that high school friends thing. It's really hit or miss, you find yourself relating to other people you meet more-so. High school was more restrictive in who you meet unless you were in external activities and what not. Most of my high school friends ended up doing nothing afterwards, so it's difficult to even relate to them about real life issues. =/

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #33
Ri2
Willing to stick a finger in a guys butt for the sake of science

i didnt get to go to my grad/prom and it doesn't bother me.
although in grade 10, i got to go to an exboyfriends prom afterparty so i dont feel i missed out on anything too spectacular.

imo, dont go to prom if you dont feel like it and just go to the afterparty.
save the $ you would use for prom and do something you really want to do.
maybe invest in a trip after graduation? put it towards a car? get a tattoo? lol

the only issue for you is, if you choose not to go to prom... make sure you're doing it for the right reasons and that you wont regret it later. also depends on your maturity level, some people grow out of high school a lot quicker while others stay in a HS mentality for a long time. i didnt have a choice in my matter, but im sure if i did, i would have gone on a trip instead.
Ri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
This seems like as good a place as any to post this.

5 Things You Don't Learn About High School Until Too Late | Cracked.com

Usually cracked is bathroom humour, but this one actually hit so many truths.

There is a change in people right around 19 or 20 when they realize that high school is a tiny little universe upon itself that implodes for people after graduation. No one cares anymore that you were the high school bball champion or anything else because it all adds up to equal SFA.

As I said, I realized that early and just checked out at the time. Had enough family drama happening that I really didn't feel like celebrating.

In fact, I had thought that it was all behind me until I went to BCIT and for me, the social interactions were High School 2.0-complete with class clowns and all the rest.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I went to mine and I guess it was okay. I had a large group of friends and knew/talked to the majority of people I went to HS with even though we had a large grad class (600-700).

It was "fun", but really only because I was a social butterfly. The actual prom itself was pretty boring and rather corny. The food was gross, but if you like dancing and socializing, it can be a fun night. Honestly though, if I didn't go I don't think I would have missed it.

It is all about who you go with. After prom we had "dry grad" that went from 11pm-6am. There were games, raffles, dancing, "poker", etc...it was alright but I had crotched a micky of vodka so being drunk helped....the after parties were fun but thats just because you are drinking with your friends.

Don't stress out about it...if you don't go, I don't think you will miss it at all. HS mean shit in life...once you go to uni or college or get a real job and meet REAL people, you'll realize how bullshit the whole thing is. Prom is one night...it means nothing.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #36
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
I didnt go with date

Cuz i had a gf

But i still danced with other girls

Best memories of my life

Op needs to grow a pair and reach out to other dateless girls

They probably yearning for attention
Posted via RS Mobile
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
RabidMod

Thanked 1,080 Times in 402 Posts
Went to prom, it sucked, but none of my friends had dates either, so years later we still bring up how much prom sucked. Would I do it again? Yeah, I probably would. =)
Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #38
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
it's all about the after part. my vote is for you to go!
if you are a dude, i hope you have some friends who are single, cuz the worst feeling is being a 3rd wheel-

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #39
My homepage has been set to RS

I went to Prom and had a GF at the time, but looking back it now it would not have mattered if I had a GF or not the experience still would have been the same.

Nothing really special happened at my grad and even though it was in 04 I actually remember it like it was yesterday. I personally always thought that if I did not go to these things that I would not care...but I am so glad I went to prom (and the after party...lots of Lolz there watching the super drunk people) and I am even more glad I went to graduation (which I was considering skipping both highschool and University)

I don't know how close you are with your friends but the majority of the people I hung out with during grad is the same people I hang out with today so don't feel that if you are shy in big groups it really matters....

Besides you could always go and if it is not for you say fuck and it and leave
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #40
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
The following is a reply from the anonymous member

Can you reply with this to my prom thread please:

I'm a guy, and I have already tried to "get with" a girl for prom and what not, but it didn't go very well because she's REALLY religious and all I guess... But, the thing with that is that it hurts, knowing that i've failed with her and she just moves on to others like its nothing and I think that there is a VERY SLIGHT possibility that that could get in my way of enjoying prom even 6 months later. Anyhow, thats not the point, its just... I don't know first of all my school is filled with beef, and since I am pretty socially awkward it would be even weirder for me to even go find a table to sit at. You guys are right though, its pretty boring unless you're high or drunk taking from the grad dinner... All you do is talk to people and stuff, and dance, but I'm not really good at dancing so I just skip that so the only option left is to "mingle"
Call me weird, but I am not really used to this "partying" and stuff, I went to the grad dinner got fked out of my mind, and didn't remember anything that happened at all but I don't think it should be like that.......
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #41
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I am too old to relate to most of these relationship threads but I had to pipe in and tell you what is worse than not having a date for prom. Having a date picked for you for prom.

We called it grad 20 + years ago. (yes I realize most of you weren't born when I graduated)

The school policy was to put all the boys names in a hat and the girls names in a different hat.

One teacher picked a boys name. Another teacher picked a girls name.

Grad dates. Presto everyone has a date.

If you had a gf/bf well they were going with someone else.

Back on topic....I agree with Dhillon09. Grad, sorry Prom, is not the greatest moment of your life.

I still talk to my BFF from highschool, but the majority of my friends I don't see any more even though I live in the same city. I have friends that I made after graduation that I have see regularly and email daily.

Ultimately, nobody can answer what is right for you but you.
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #42
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
It's probably only gonna come once unless you become one of those 20 something year olds who's dating a Highschool chick and will be known as that creepy pedaphile guy who's macking on LG's. Talk about an even more uncomfortable situation.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #43
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Meh, prom is nothing special. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Go if you feel like it but if you don't go you won't regret it.

I had a date while most of my buddies didn't and that didn't stop us from having a blast. Besides, after the official stuff and our grad class meeting up at the beach, my date went off with her friends somewhere and I went off with my buddies to our old hangout (what used to be called Green Hut) and reminisced until morning haha. Good times.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #44
RS Lurker, I don't post!

i didnt go to my prom.. To be honest with you i fucking hated my whole highschool years, it wasnt that i was a loner or anything. I just chose not .to fit in with the kids in school, yennoo? I just chose to do my own thing which was hitting the weight room
Posted via RS Mobile
jisagunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #45
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
In life you are more likely to regret the things you missed out on rather than the things you've done.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #46
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
The following is a reply from the anonymous member

Can you reply with this to my prom thread please:

I'm a guy, and I have already tried to "get with" a girl for prom and what not, but it didn't go very well because she's REALLY religious and all I guess... But, the thing with that is that it hurts, knowing that i've failed with her and she just moves on to others like its nothing and I think that there is a VERY SLIGHT possibility that that could get in my way of enjoying prom even 6 months later. Anyhow, thats not the point, its just... I don't know first of all my school is filled with beef, and since I am pretty socially awkward it would be even weirder for me to even go find a table to sit at. You guys are right though, its pretty boring unless you're high or drunk taking from the grad dinner... All you do is talk to people and stuff, and dance, but I'm not really good at dancing so I just skip that so the only option left is to "mingle"
Call me weird, but I am not really used to this "partying" and stuff, I went to the grad dinner got fked out of my mind, and didn't remember anything that happened at all but I don't think it should be like that.......
i think you are making the whole dateless thing a bigger deal than it should be. I think this depends on the culture of your grad class and school but the majority of my grad class went dateless and it was fun. The after party was definitely memorable.

Look at it this way, if you have to ask if you are gonna have regrets, you probably will. If you had a good time, great. If you didn't have a good time, no big deal you probably won't remember the details. Actually if you had a great time and got shitfaced you wont remember the details either...they'll just flood your facebook wall the next day.

I understand there's usually beef whatever and can be difficulty to choose which table to sit at....if you are a girl. You don't need to be good at dancing....unless they have the lights on and it's fucking ballroom dancing. If you feel awkward dancing..just predrink a little.

If you admit to being socially awkward...why not try to break out your shell now before you meet other people the rest of your lives?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #47
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I didn't go to mine lol. I didn't feel I miss anything at all.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #48
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
if it's not about the money, just go. 10 years from now, a few hundred dollars for a small momento of your youth is pretty miniscule IMO. and you get to keep it for a lifetime.

and what's with people commenting that never went? if you never went, how would you know what you missed LOL
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #50
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I skipped prom but went to the after party. By that time, most people were smashed and we all had a good time.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote