REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post
Depression/mental illness can often be more debilitating than physical illness. It's a sad fact that the general population doesn't understand this.
i dont think anyone's trying to discredit mental illness...if it's an emergency i dont think OP would've posted on an internet forum asking for resources

then again they are people that post shit on here when they should've called icbc asap
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #27
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't recommend a counsellor but rather a psychiatrist for an illness such as depression.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #28
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You are legally limited to what you can do as a friend. The only thing you can do is to encourage him/her.

If you want your friend to get free help. The easiest way is for him/her to talk to your friend's family doctor. Any type of counselling (psychologists / psychiatrists) is FREE as long as there is a GP's referral. Again, you can't do much other than accompany him/her to the appointments. I do not recommend free services like UBC / SFU Psychology department that don't require referrals.. as the doctoral students / therapists there are very transient (they are usually on their final year or 2 of practicum), depending on your friend, it is way better to do it on a long term basis via a psychiatrist / psychologist who can see how your friend is doing on the long term.

I would also be reluctant to go through work insurance, even though it is illegal to discriminate based on mental illness; Once a problem is noted on file, you never know who / where it might end up. Especially since the universal healthcare probably won't be around forever. Right now your workplace only need to know you are sick or not sick with a doctor's note, they are not supposed to dwell any deeper than that.

Considering the students in PhD program the majority are female, there is a good chance you will be able to find a female counsellor. However I think it should be the least of your issues right now. You should get your friend to see his/her GP and get the GP to refer your friend to a female counsellor.

The link to resources above are all good and well.. but the fact is still if your family physicians deem you need mental health help, it will be covered by the Health Act, which we are paid for via MSP. If you go to any counsellor's office willy nilly, you will get charged full price usually $150+ / hour.. just like you walk into a MRI lab and want a full body MRI without a referral or request for diagnostic from a family physician.

Get your friend to see his / her family doctor ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
thanks for all the help, I've notice my friend has been suffering for a few years now (5-10yrs) and its time that I do something to help. Are the counselors usually female or male because my friend would prefer female. I just need to slowly suggest to them for this help. My friend did show interest when I did bring it up. I didn't know before how serious of an illness it is but the past months I've been doing research and yeah, people like this are suffering and need this support.

Last edited by godwin; 03-21-2012 at 06:53 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #29

Well it depends, psychiatrist can prescribe a medication that can alleviate the symptoms quickly (a few months for the person / doctor to tune the dose).. However you still need to deal with the fundamental issue of why the person is depressed, that can be done via psychologists.

There are limited number of psychiatrists in Vancouver (I know a few friends that consistently work from 8AM - 9PM 6 days a week), so for the later issues, psychologists will probably be easier. The treatment plan should be done with the GP who is supposed to be the gatekeeper / coordinator of all treatment for the friend.

Coles notes: Involve your family doctor, keep records of your visits and your health. Be an advocate for your own heath and let your GP deal with any treatment that you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't recommend a counsellor but rather a psychiatrist for an illness such as depression.

Last edited by godwin; 03-21-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #30
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
UBC has a great anxiety clinic out of richmond hospital. The waitlist is based on seriousness though. When I first approached my doctor in November of 2010 (school allieviated my anxiety for 6 months before it hit me like a truck agian) he sent me there as an outpatient but I never got a call until 6 months later.

I don't think government covers CBT/Psychologists, but don't quote me.

edit: on a sidenote I had a friend who had manic bi-polar Disorder and his meds bankrupted him. He was paying 1k a month before pharmacare kicked in.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #31

It depends if the person needs it or not.. hence why I keep saying talk to your GP. Gov pay for CBT/psychologist: Court required anger management or gambling addictions etc. If there is a need and it affects your life, Canadian healthcare system will take care of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
don't think government covers CBT/Psychologists, but don't quote me.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
^^ good to know.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #33
RabidMod

Thanked 1,080 Times in 402 Posts
Great thread.

There's been a request to move this to the Health and Wellness subforum. I'm inclined to leave this here for about a week for it to get the traffic/attention it deserves, and I'll move it then.

Let me know if there are objections.