REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Indian Food? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665005-indian-food.html)

Culture_Vulture 03-20-2012 01:26 AM

Indian Food?

Does anybody know of good authentic Indian joints? I see a bunch whenever I drive down Scott Road, but I know very little about the Indian food (and culture as a whole) and me and my buddy are on somewhat of an Indian food craze this month.

Any recommendations?

bcrdukes 03-20-2012 02:00 AM

I don't know where to start but this is how I feel about Indian food (and their women)

:sweetjesus:

BrRsn 03-20-2012 03:48 AM

Just look at reviews online .. be sure to try a bit of everything, anything thats made in the tandoori oven will be :sweetjesus: ie tandoori fish/chicken etc .. never had anything that could replicate the taste of being cooked in the tandoori oven. Definitely try chicken tikka .. probably the worst indian food for you but the taste is so damn good (butter basted boneless chicken that's almost sweet, served with a tangy sauce hnggghhh).

Only place in surrey that I'm familiar with is Dhaliwal sweets/restaurant
Dhaliwal Sweets, 8430 128 ST, SURREY, BC

I mostly just posted here because I needed a place to use this awesome gif .. semi appropriate.
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk...vraco1_500.gif

SkinnyPupp 03-20-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7855499)
I don't know where to start but this is how I feel about Indian food (and their women)

:sweetjesus:

Their music is great too, really :megusta:

m3thods 03-20-2012 09:57 AM

I've only tried a few places, but my favorites are:

If you want bang for buck, check out "Gateway Pizza". One's on 76th Ave and 128th St. Other is on Fraser Hwy and 148th St. $13 for regular butter chicken, rice, and 2 naan. Add $9 for some Chicken tikka. Feeds 2 people with potential leftovers for lunch.

For a restaurant- Bombay Beat (formally Bombay Bhel) beside Antons on Hastings. Has that great tandoor oven taste, and if you have an Entertainment Book, the cost is very good. To me the food tastes better than Gateway, but not at the full prices they charge.

Tried Desi (on Denman) as well, pretty good. A bit more pricey, but their fish tikka was soooooooo good.

Glove 03-20-2012 10:09 AM

ah! a fellow brother joining the indian food cult!

for starters you should go to Mehfil,

its right over the patullo bridge on scott road, and its 11 bucks for all you can eat.

its fuckin awsome,

once you get more into it there are a few places in maple ridge that are a little pricey, but shits authentic.

Fuck, now I got myself craving it, im gonna go to Mehfil this saturday

murd0c 03-20-2012 10:14 AM

Taste of Punjab in Surrey is great and living in the Fleetwood area I always to go Five Star Sweets. I'm white tho so I could be wrong on the quality lol

Vansterdam 03-20-2012 05:17 PM

for surrey i usually go to mahek
http://www.mahek.ca/

been meaning to try this taste of punjab

SoulCrusher 03-20-2012 06:09 PM

Hands down the best Indian restaurant in Surrey is Tasty Indian Bistro. Compared to other Indian restaurants, its considered to be high end. Apparently it was designed by the same ppl that are designing Keg restaurants. The food is unbelievable.

Dhoom restaurant is also really good. Im having my wedding and reception catered by them.

Recommended:
Appetizers: tandoori chicken, chicken tikka, fish pakora, shehs kabobs, cheese pakoras

Meat entres: butter chicken, lamb curry, curry chicken
Veg entres: muttar paneer, shahi paneer, mixed veg
Posted via RS Mobile

Jas29 03-20-2012 06:12 PM

+1 on tasty, soulcrusher knows what hes talking about

bcrdukes 03-21-2012 02:35 PM

Ok, just off the top of my head and very quickly, my favourites are:

1. Bombay Bhel - Located on East Hastings in Burnaby, beside Anton's. I haven't been there in a while but some blogs say they are closed. If they are, I apologize.

2. Original Tandoori Kitchen - 2 locations: One on Fraser and one on Main (I think that one burned down?) Fraser location is new(er). You won't see it on Google Streetview in case you look for it.

3. Tandoori Kona - South west corner of Cambie & No. 5 Road in Richmond where the Shoppers Drug Mart is. Pro tip - get their take out as their portions are bigger than their dine-in. :D

Enjoy! :neckbeard:

MindBomber 03-21-2012 02:40 PM

Being a vegetarian, I've been a bit intrigued by Indian food for quite a while..

Are there specific Indian restaurants that cater a bit more to vegetarians or is it all the same?

Indian food meet anyone?

bcrdukes 03-21-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7858496)
Being a vegetarian, I've been a bit intrigued by Indian food for quite a while..

Are there specific Indian restaurants that cater a bit more to vegetarians or is it all the same?

Indian food meet anyone?

In my experience, most, if not all (?) Indian restaurants will cater to vegetarians. Every Indian restaurant I've been to have a section dedicated to vegetarian dishes. Try it out! You may like it! :)

Glove 03-21-2012 02:48 PM

ya all indian places have vegetarian food man, we should definitly do an indian food meet!

JKam 03-21-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 7855695)
I've only tried a few places, but my favorites are:

If you want bang for buck, check out "Gateway Pizza". One's on 76th Ave and 128th St. Other is on Fraser Hwy and 148th St. $13 for regular butter chicken, rice, and 2 naan. Add $9 for some Chicken tikka. Feeds 2 people with potential leftovers for lunch.

Compared to other butter chickens their butter chicken always seems a little sweet to me.

lowside67 03-21-2012 03:21 PM

We (my Indian girlfriend and white old I) go to Bombay Beat on Hastings, just a little bit West of Willingdon and it's tasty. I don't know that it's the best ever but it is a solid option for those not wanting to go all the way to Surrey.

Mark

bcrdukes 03-21-2012 03:27 PM

^
Ah, that's it. Looks like Bombay Bhel changed to Bombay Beat. :)

LiquidTurbo 03-21-2012 06:23 PM

Desi Dosa Madras on Scott road.

van_city23 03-24-2012 04:10 PM

definitely going to vouch for tasty indian bistro

TekDragon 03-24-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 7856124)
for surrey i usually go to mahek
MAHEK RESTAURANT & LOUNGE | Main Page

been meaning to try this taste of punjab

Nothing but good things to say about Mahek. Never had a bad dish there. It's British Indian though, but still delicious.

Teh Doucher 03-24-2012 04:57 PM

i also vouch for tasty indian bistro. but the best is always going to be the stuff i get at home made by mom.. :)

Culverin 03-24-2012 05:50 PM

I'm not indian food expert, but what are your thoughts on Saffron on Kingsway near metro?

CRS 03-24-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7862678)
I'm not indian food expert, but what are your thoughts on Saffron on Kingsway near metro?

For an all you can eat buffet joint, the lunch menu is pretty good.

fsy82 03-24-2012 07:02 PM

Samosa garden, green lettuce, Chilli pepper house...all on kingsway all really good. In surrey try mahek

Gnomes 03-24-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7855538)
Their music is great too, really :megusta:

exhibit A?