REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Sleeping Issues (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665196-sleeping-issues.html)

LiquidTurbo 03-22-2012 10:00 PM

Sleeping Issues

Hi RS,

Need your help. For the past few years now, I can't get a deep sleep. I always wake up when someone is moving around, I just can't achieve a good deep sleep. Noises like doors closing can wake me up. I'm Also when I wake up I don't feel refreshed, always in 'snooze' mode like I have to sleep more and more.

I don't think I have sleep apnea. Can anyone help?

Jegz 03-22-2012 10:14 PM

pop an oxy

bluejays 03-22-2012 11:10 PM

My brother uses this app for the iphone called SleepUp! and says it helps him. I've tried it a couple of times and didn't really notice a difference in deep sleep but I was able to fall asleep a lot faster

Nicotine 03-22-2012 11:35 PM

I have the same problems i can ever easily fall asleep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jegglez (Post 7860939)
pop an oxy

drugs are never the answer:rukidding:

rsx 03-23-2012 12:11 AM

Melatonin is pretty good I hear, I use over the counter sleep aids. I have a terrible time sleeping. My mind's constantly working and life stress doesn't help.

dlo 03-23-2012 12:15 AM

Smoke weed..... Shit makes u pass out :lol
Posted via RS Mobile

Mr.HappySilp 03-23-2012 12:33 AM

or exercise till your body is too tired to go on?
I am the exact opposite. I sleep like a pig lol. Once some thief broke into my parent's house while I was sleeping and they came into my room (door was open lol) and I didn't even know.

JSilver 03-23-2012 04:09 PM

Honestly, Marijuana will do the job.

Go to your family Doctor and suggest it.

One joint to the dome; good to go.

MindBomber 03-23-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsx (Post 7861057)
Melatonin is pretty good I hear, I use over the counter sleep aids. I have a terrible time sleeping. My mind's constantly working and life stress doesn't help.

Melatonin is good for occasional use, but not daily.

If overused the result can actually be an increased difficulty in sleeping.

franklucas 03-23-2012 05:51 PM

LOL besides weed, try and get some physical activity that will tire you out. Dont get sidetracked with anything when your focusin on sleeping

jack3d 03-24-2012 02:59 AM

what times are you trying to sleep at? This can matter a lot as well

insomniac 03-24-2012 03:12 AM

Got the same problem but my main issue is the falling asleep part :(

Soundy 03-24-2012 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7860919)
Hi RS,

Need your help. For the past few years now, I can't get a deep sleep. I always wake up when someone is moving around, I just can't achieve a good deep sleep. Noises like doors closing can wake me up. I'm Also when I wake up I don't feel refreshed, always in 'snooze' mode like I have to sleep more and more.

You don't THINK you have sleep apnea... but you should find out for sure; I actually knew someone who died from it - stop breathing in her sleep and just didn't wake up.

It's a simple enough test - you take an oximeter home, wear it on your finger when you sleep, take it back to the hospital/clinic the next day, they check the readings.

I had it... got the CPAP machine... wore that for a few months, but it helped me get a WAY better sleep and have more energy, so I lost 30+ pounds, and no longer had the sleep apnea.

Seriously, see a sleep therapist. Last thing you want is to be dozing off behind the wheel and wreck your Kia.

BrRsn 03-24-2012 02:43 PM

Melatonin is only really for fixing your sleeping patterns after you screw them up. I.e. studying all night for finals/jetlag/etc.

Smoke some weed, or a stiff drink before bed usually does the drink for me although probably not the healthiest way to get some sleep.

Phozy 03-24-2012 07:19 PM

Marijuana will put you out, ask your doc for more help :)

Cassijon 03-24-2012 08:22 PM

fap like crazy. that'll tire you out

AW607 03-24-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassijon:7862865
fap like crazy. that'll tire you out

This, it works (most of the time, I admit to it hahah)

You can also go to some place like Bath and Body Works and get yourself an aromatherapy in a bottle which you spray on your pillow and it could possibly help you get to sleep faster and a little more comfortably. My girlfriend got me one for v-day and it works wonders, especially if I have to get up at 6am five days of the week

alex.w *// 03-25-2012 09:38 PM

is it weird

on weekdays i have to wake up at 7 to get ready for work, but i always want to sleep a bit more, and get up last minute.

but on the weekend when i have a day off, i'm wide awake at 7. i can never sleep in for some reason

Soundy 03-25-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7860919)
Hi RS,

Sound familiar?

Quote:

The signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas overlap, sometimes making the type of sleep apnea more difficult to determine. The most common signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas include:
  • Excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia)
  • Loud snoring, which is usually more prominent in obstructive sleep apnea
  • Observed episodes of breathing cessation during sleep
  • Abrupt awakenings accompanied by shortness of breath, which more likely indicates central sleep apnea
  • Awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat
  • Morning headache
  • Difficulty staying asleep (insomnia)

Source: Sleep apnea: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Seriously... before you start jacking up (or off) with things to help keep you sleeping, see your doctor and find out WHY you're NOT sleeping right in the first place. It can actually be a serious medical condition.

melloman 03-26-2012 09:00 AM

If the doctor says there's nothing wrong with you.. I'm not sure how against drugs you are.. but not even a full joint of marijuana.. some people only need 2-3 hits and you'll get a deep sleep.

Somewhere on RS there's a thread about sleep cycles, and how if you wake up inbetween the sleep cycles your dead tired, compared to if u wake up at the end of a cycle (naturally wake up compared to waking up to an alarm)

I've found on weekends when I wake up naturally, I feel 100% refereshed compared to on the weekdays where I wake up to an alarm. My sleep patterns are about the same aswell;

Weekdays: 12am-7am Sleeping
Weekends: 3am-10/11am Sleeping

Glove 03-26-2012 09:06 AM

try earplugs broski,

I cant sleep without em, birds chirping, people walking, laundry, cat snoring in my face, semi's n helicopters n shit.

I cant get any fuckin Z's around here if I dont wear earplugs,

I sleep 8-9 full hours since I started earplugs.

vafanculo 03-26-2012 10:51 AM

Weed, or jerk it. Sometimes when I can't sleep, I'll combine the 2.. And off to dreamland I go.

Phozy 03-26-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex.w *// (Post 7863974)
is it weird

on weekdays i have to wake up at 7 to get ready for work, but i always want to sleep a bit more, and get up last minute.

but on the weekend when i have a day off, i'm wide awake at 7. i can never sleep in for some reason

Same with my dad or grandparents, gparents can be awake as early as 4 in the morning, my dad always 6am, sometimes they doze off but its not really a deep sleep

TheNewGirl 03-26-2012 03:35 PM

I'm a life long insomniac from a long line of 'em. This is selection of shit I've learned.

1. Get to a doctor and get checked out.
2. Do you have anyone who sleeps with you? They will be able to tell you if you have apnea, you won't know yourself.
3. Have you lost weight? Has your appetite changed at all?
4. Alcohol fucks up your REM cycles, don't drink regularly.
5. Most doctors will agree caffeine fucks up your REM cycles too (though I actually find little impact personally)
6. Eat healthy, exercise more.
7. More sex (with yourself or others) will help you sleep better.
8. Stress management is key. Often when we're wanting to sleep more selectively it's psychological not always physical

Soundy 03-26-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7864677)
I'm a life long insomniac from a long line of 'em. This is selection of shit I've learned.

1. Get to a doctor and get checked out.

:considered:

Quote:

2. Do you have anyone who sleeps with you?
:alone:

Quote:

They will be able to tell you if you have apnea, you won't know yourself.
There are some good indicators... one that affects me is having to get up to go to the bathroom several times during the night. According to my sleep therapist, with some people, when they stop breathing, the body triggers the urge to pee, which triggers the person to wake up.