REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
anyone know if he got fired and lost his pension?
Advertisement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #27
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
the crown isn't asking for a stiff sentence i bet so don't expect much if anything for Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
The law very rarely sends cops to jail,cause they know they will be a target for all the inmates,it's like throwing a chicken into a fox den,you will already know the outcome of that.
they would keep cops in a section of jail that's more secure for them just like they do child molesters/rapists

the reason they're lenient on officers is because its hard enough to get people to take on the job as a cop if they started sending them to jail or give them stiffer sentences than the average person enrollment rates would drop

and there was already a scare with enrollment rates dropping a decade or so (maybe 2 now cant recall) ago and the rcmp had to loosen up the strings on recruitment so you got more assholes undeserving of the position recruited as evidenced i guess you could say
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I can see not wanting to send him to jail because he's a cop. It sucks, but I get it. Basically, putting him in protective custody because of his job is unfair treatment. However...I can also make the case that he used his status as a police officer to interfere with the investigation. So, he gets it both ways?

But to even mention that his aboriginal status is a factor is the part that is truly disturbing.

So here's my solution...you can't really go to jail, ok. And your aboriginal status is a mitigating factor. OK. You can serve time in a combination of rehab and house arrest. Two birds, one stone.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #29
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
the reason they're lenient on officers is because its hard enough to get people to take on the job as a cop if they started sending them to jail or give them stiffer sentences than the average person enrollment rates would drop

and there was already a scare with enrollment rates dropping a decade or so (maybe 2 now cant recall) ago and the rcmp had to loosen up the strings on recruitment so you got more assholes undeserving of the position recruited as evidenced i guess you could say
I've had a few friends apply, and they always told me how hard it is to get in based on the number of competing applicants..
Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #30
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
anyone know if he got fired and lost his pension?
He resigned from his post 1 week ago. Not sure about the pension.

The house arrest is based on the obstruction of justice charge. Did he get additional sentencing for manslaughter or just the obstruction charge?
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #31
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I guess killing someone then running away from the scene afterwards only deserves up to a maximum of 10 years if you're a rcmp officer, I wonder how many years it would be for a normal person? Pretty bs how lightly this shit gets treated inside the rcmp
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #32
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Well, I thought Brazil was the best country to get away with murder or manslaughter. Guess I was wrong.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #33
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Fuck this guy. Fucking load of shit.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I've had a few friends apply, and they always told me how hard it is to get in based on the number of competing applicants..
yes there's still a screen its just the holes are bigger than they used to be

1 month house arrest
Old 07-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #35
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Heard it on the Radio on my way home earlier.

Didn't catch all of it, only the "No Jail time because he's Native" part on AM730.

Can someone explain to me how Natives can get away with manslaughter and Obstruction of justice?
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Can someone explain to me how Natives can get away with manslaughter and Obstruction of justice?
they can't really but there are considerations in place for natives due to their dire situation/mistreatment

its meant to further assist rehabilitation for troubled youths and it really shouldn't have been used in this instance

even native chiefs voiced their distaste over it being used for Monty Robinson

this is just the govt looking out for the police once again
Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #37
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
And yet I did 60 days in jail for breaking a guys jaw when he grabbed my GF's ass in a Bar.

Fuck you justice system.

Berz out.

Bullshit indeed. That guy you beat up should get 60 days in jail for assaulting a woman.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #38
Need my Daily Fix of RS

So he kills a man while drunk driving and he doesn't get hit with anything?

I bet the OSMV sent him a letter saying he is scott free because he brought in all the revenue from operating road blocks
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #39
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Heard it on the Radio on my way home earlier.

Didn't catch all of it, only the "No Jail time because he's Native" part on AM730.

Quote:
Section 718.2(e) of the Criminal Code, as well as the Supreme Court of Canada in R. v. Gladue, [1999] 1 S.C.R. 688 have stated that Judges should account for these considerations when making sentencing decisions. Gladue asks judges to apply a method of analysis that recognizes the adverse background cultural impact factors that many Aboriginals face. In a Gladue analysis these factors, if present in their personal history, work to mitigate or reduce the culpability of offenders. Judges are then asked to consider all reasonable alternatives to jail in light of this. Such an analysis, then, is more likely to lead to a restorative justice remedy being used either in place of a jail sentence or combined with a reduced term.
From what I understood in my criminal law class.

Also, the penalty for obstruction of justice is only max 2 years in prison.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 07-27-2012 at 07:26 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #40
Banned By Establishment

They must of made a under the table deal with him or something. Telling him to quit in exchange for no jail time.

This is just total bullshit and its going to set a standard for other people out there that you can get off easy by doing the same. They should of thrown the book at him and set an example.
BMW M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #41
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
From what I understood in my criminal law class.
Quote:
Section 718.2(e) of the Criminal Code, as well as the Supreme Court of Canada in R. v. Gladue, [1999] 1 S.C.R. 688 have stated that Judges should account for these considerations when making sentencing decisions. Gladue asks judges to apply a method of analysis that recognizes the adverse background cultural impact factors that many Aboriginals face. In a Gladue analysis these factors, if present in their personal history, work to mitigate or reduce the culpability of offenders. Judges are then asked to consider all reasonable alternatives to jail in light of this. Such an analysis, then, is more likely to lead to a restorative justice remedy being used either in place of a jail sentence or combined with a reduced term.
The fuck kinda bullshit is that.

There is no other "PC" way I can word it before somebody blames me for turning this thread into a Native Hate thread.

What a load of shit.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #42
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
Bullshit indeed. That guy you beat up should get 60 days in jail for assaulting a woman.
I don't know, but in my world touching a girl's ass in a bar does not equal getting pummeled by a guy...but that's just me.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #43
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Once again Canada, our justice system becomes a laughing stock. He wasn't a troubled native youth living on a reserve. His background shouldn't have the slightest bit of relevance in this case. He killed someone "by accident" (criminal negligence)
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #44

Quote:
The fuck kinda bullshit is that.

There is no other "PC" way I can word it before somebody blames me for turning this thread into a Native Hate thread.

What a load of shit.
It is hard to explain without having an actual conversation. National surveys of public opinion on attitudes towards Aboriginals do reveal a low level of knowledge about their issues and a strong reluctance to grant them special status.

However, as a colonized minority Aboriginals were denied self-government, removed from their land and livelihood, and transformed by European culture. Their social structure was significantly eroded and their place within Canadian society become perpetually disadvantaged - which is what the Gladue decision recognizes. Besides the many overt racist policies designed to assimilate Aboriginals, children were forcefully taken from their parents and put in residential schools, not allowed to speak the language or practice their culture, many were also physically, sexually, and mentally abused, etc. Today, the cycle continues, many have had children and they have no idea how to be a parent.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #45
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
It is hard to explain without having an actual conversation. National surveys of public opinion on attitudes towards Aboriginals do reveal a low level of knowledge about their issues and a strong reluctance to grant them special status.

However, as a colonized minority Aboriginals were denied self-government, removed from their land and livelihood, and transformed by European culture. Their social structure was significantly eroded and their place within Canadian society become perpetually disadvantaged - which is what the Gladue decision recognizes. Besides the many overt racist policies designed to assimilate Aboriginals, children were forcefully taken from their parents and put in residential schools, not allowed to speak the language or practice their culture, many were also physically, sexually, and mentally abused, etc. Today, the cycle continues, many have had children and they have no idea how to be a parent.
So what exactly does that have to do with mowing down a person while drunk and getting away with it?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #46

^This is what the Gladue decision recognizes and the judge in this case probably had to take into account that into account along with other sentencing guidelines such as the principle of 'stare decisis' aka precedent. I find it hard to believe that judges, who are some of the smartest people in the country, would make decisions that seem illogical to the rest of us without good justifications. Not only do you need a killer GPA to get into a decent law school in the first place (3.5GPA + decent LSAT / lower GPA + 85-95 percentile LSAT), but you need many years of experience first as a lawyer, then starting off as a lower court judge (you need a referral(s)? and 10 years experience to get the opportunity). This alone suggests that judges have to consider a wide range of factors when making a decision that can often times be very complex. This is the part that is not always clear to the public.

Quote:
RCMP Corporal Benjamin Monty Robinson won't be charged with drunk driving, manslaughter, vehicular homicide, leaving the scene of an accident, or failing to provide assistance to the man he left dying on a darkened
street more than a year ago.
He was only charged with obstruction of justice here. Why not manslaughter or criminal negligence? In BC and in two other provinces, the charges are approved by the Crown, who are lawyers themselves working for the government. In every charge decision, the prosecutor considers two things: is there enough evidence and whether it is in the public interest. In this case, it is in the public interest and if they are not charging him, they must think they have insufficient evidence. This has nothing to do with the fact he is a "cop", this is a high profile case and it is in the best interest of the system to have him charged and convicted on more serious charges.

edit:

Quote:
In a prepared statement, the Criminal Justice Branch (CJB) justified the decision, saying Senior prosecutors with the branch have concluded that the available evidence does not establish to the criminal standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, that at the time of the collision Cpl. Robinson had a blood alcohol level over the legal limit.
\

Understanding each of these levels will give you a better understanding of what "beyond a reasonable doubt" means. The standard is set high on purpose so that we do not wrongfully convict people (but keep in mind that even with this threshold it is still possible to make errors)

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 08-01-2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: cleaning up my post to be more coherent
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #47
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:

Well said.

Special considerations is given to aboriginal people at the time of sentencing for very good reason. Unfortunately, most people are so resentful that aboriginal people receive benefits beyond those of the ordinary Canadian, it's difficult to educate the reasons behind special considerations at sentencing.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #48
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Well said.

Special considerations is given to aboriginal people at the time of sentencing for very good reason. Unfortunately, most people are so resentful that aboriginal people receive benefits beyond those of the ordinary Canadian, it's difficult to educate the reasons behind special considerations at sentencing.
By the same logic, children of Chinese railroad workers who had their parents blown up should be able to get lighter sentences for murder and manslaughter.
MisterMu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #49
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
The law very rarely sends cops to jail,cause they know they will be a target for all the inmates,it's like throwing a chicken into a fox den,you will already know the outcome of that.
Isn't that good then. It would send a message to other cops that they won't hesitate to throw them in prison if they go against the law.
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #50
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMu View Post
By the same logic, children of Chinese railroad workers who had their parents blown up should be able to get lighter sentences for murder and manslaughter.
Please, educate yourself before giving opinions like the one you've given; the harsh conditions faced by Chinese railroad workers does not even remotely compare to the governments policies against Aboriginal people. Also, Monty Robinson was found guilty of obstruction of justice and given a lighter sentence, not murder or manslaughter.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: