REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Post Meet Discussion- Traffic Organization for the 2012 Spring Meet (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665250-post-meet-discussion-traffic-organization-2012-spring-meet.html)

jACEDesignsLtd 03-23-2012 10:15 PM

Post Meet Discussion- Traffic Organization for the 2012 Spring Meet

Hi everyone. The Spring Meet has long passed. Overall, the meet was a great event to get together.

And we want to improve the Spring Meet for the years to come.

If you attended the meet at Spanish Banks, we welcome your feedback and comments to help us with organizing the traffic flow. We already started talking amongst ourselves (as Revscene staff), so now it's your turn.

NOTE: This thread is for constructive thoughts only; I don't want to see people pointing fingers and jumping on each other. That doesn't help us.
Post your thoughts and discuss how YOU would improve it.

Quote:

[Eventually, I will move this thread into the public forums, so please don't post anything you would regret saying when it does moves.]

So for those of you who were at the 2012 Spring Meet, can you help us improve it for next year.

What did we do well?

What could we improve on? And how would YOU do it?

Please fill in your answers in this format so I can keep track of our info. Thx

Raid3n 03-23-2012 11:17 PM

What did we do well?
1. traffic flow

1. more volunteers a) to make sure everything flows well b) dbag patrol

orgasm_donor 03-23-2012 11:25 PM

I agree with ******. We had better flow because of less numbers and a more spread out attendance. With less traffic though, we had a lot more bitchfucks doing stupid burn outs and wheelies.

We need police prescence and volunteers taking down licence plate numbers and/or videotaping roll in and roll out.

Alatar 03-24-2012 12:28 AM

What did we do well?
1. traffic flow
2. parking allocation - seems like everyone who needed a spot got a spot

2. notify police of the meet and/or see if one of the police liason officers can attend for traffic citations

I'm willing to set up my GoProHD + ContourGPS facing each direction by the tent to video passing vehicles for next year.

?NR 03-24-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alatar (Post 7862188)
What did we do well?
1. traffic flow
2. parking allocation - seems like everyone who needed a spot got a spot

2. notify police of the meet and/or see if one of the police liason officers can attend for traffic citations

I'm willing to set up my GoProHD + ContourGPS facing each direction by the tent to video passing vehicles for next year.

as mentioned with feedback from last summer meet, I would like to implement scheduled roll-ins for each individual clubs and RSVPS. All areas marked for club RSVPs, Communications, having an ICBC speedwatch present with their radar/speed display/caravan parked on entrance to venue. Signs that have actual speed limits on them ie. SLOW 10kph or 30kph along entrance. MORE RCMP and or VPD participation.

we can go as pro as we want, providing that's what we want.

Lomac 03-24-2012 09:50 AM

The only problem with having cameras set up near entrances is that it might encourage douchebags to act like one. I noticed at this last meet that the more cameras that were pointed at a particular car massively increased the chance the owner would do something stupid as he was leaving.

Alatar 03-24-2012 10:46 AM

With a gopro/contour camera, wouldn't have to be too close to the entrance, and wouldn't really be all that visible at least. Could be set up near the tent and just have it pointed at the roads to take shots.

jACEDesignsLtd 03-24-2012 03:26 PM

What did we do well?
1. Traffic flow - was smooth, minimal traffic jams
2. Parking allocation - enough spots, no one complained of not getting in, clubs were together

Reduce inappropriate behaviour (e.g. burnouts, speeding, wheelies)
How?
a. recruit more volunteers as a "presence"
b. notify police of the meet so on-duty officers can attend. More RCMP/VPD participation.
c. Invite Community Speedwatch program to set up near meet.
d. Set up "traffic" cams to help identify car owners (note: although a presence of cams may actually encourage burnouts, speeding, etc)
e. Have team of volunteers to specifically record all license plate numbers in case something happens.
f. Scheduled roll ins? (is this for the summer meet or spring meet or both?)
g. Slow 10km-30km/h signs posted up around the area

I tried my best to summarize. Have a look and add/clarify the points if needed.

?NR 03-24-2012 03:45 PM

jACE:

point f: any meets that are paid for by RS in terms of location. public meets that we don't pay for the lot is first come first serve park wherever you like.

rb 03-25-2012 12:38 AM

I dont know if you can include this on the list but under

What we did do well?
* Everyone did a good job keeping the peace within the lot. No one burned out or did anything too bad inside the lot aside from revving.

saucywoman 03-25-2012 07:42 AM

I had a douchbag do a big peel out in the parking lot down by the concession; I'm surprised you didn't hear it at the tent. There was a fairly decent sized group in the lineup kinda shaking their heads so I stated revscene.net does not condone that sort of behavior at all just so they wouldn't think bad about everyone else.

I agree that from what i saw the meet went quite smoothly, the only negative is the control of the few douchbags that come out

orgasm_donor 03-25-2012 10:48 PM

It was actually really cool to see that MOST groups of people that witnissed a douchebag being a douchebag were yelling 'idiot' or laughing at the culprits...shaking heads and rolling eyes etc...

It seams that MOST members are not only NOT doing retarded stunts and being goofs, but they are also shunning the tards that are.

jACEDesignsLtd 03-26-2012 08:19 AM

so far

What did we do well?
1. Traffic flow - was smooth, minimal traffic jams
2. Parking allocation - enough spots, no one complained of not getting in, clubs were together
3. Self-Regulation - RS Members/visitors/other clubs pretty much shunned the wreckless behaviours on spot (e.g. burnouts, annoying revving)

Reduce inappropriate behaviour (e.g. burnouts, speeding, wheelies)
How?
a. recruit more volunteers as a "presence"
b. notify police of the meet so on-duty officers can attend. More RCMP/VPD participation.
c. Invite Community Speedwatch program to set up near meet.
d. Set up "traffic" cams to help identify car owners (note: although a presence of cameras may actually encourage burnouts, speeding, etc)
e. Have team of volunteers to specifically record all license plate numbers in case something happens.
f. Scheduled roll-ins (for paid/private/closed RS events)
g. Slow 10km-30km/h signs posted up around the area
h.
i.

jACEDesignsLtd 03-26-2012 08:40 AM

Here's my 2 cents

I felt there was no problems up until say about 1:30 or 2:00. The meet was from 12 -3.
So, do the inconsiderate trouble makers show up fashionably late intentionally? Cause all the "good" clubs or members pre-met and came out super early. They came organized, well behaved and in friendly spirits.

Well the other thing was we decided to call the volunteers back by 12:00 so that we could give a chance for them to walk around and enjoy themselves. It was a decision that was ok to me because everyone was civil at the time. As soon as we noticed that mood of the meet was overtaken by high revving, wheelies and stuff.. I grabbed my traffic vest and few volunteers to keep the peace.

And, you know, I understand there are the 1-2 strong revs to show off the hard work done to your cars engine. For me, that is ok. But there are some revs which are done with the intent to showboat and feel completely inappropriate.

Call me weird, but it's like you can almost hear the message the rev conveys according to its sound.
Like a guy cutting into your lane without looking. There's the light tap of the horn which says "hey there buddy. Watch it, you almost hit me there. Don't do it next time". And there's the HONNNNNNKKK to say "Hey asshole! U almost killed me!!

rb 03-26-2012 01:30 PM

imo, the trouble happens towards the close of the meet b/c less people are walking around, less cars in the lot and we're busy packing up, etc. Of course this opens up space for someone feeling peer pressured or someone who just can't resist anymore to do something stupid on their their way out. I think most of the trouble makers posted in that shameful thread actually arrived on time and stayed for awhile looking for an opportunity to showoff.

rb 03-26-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 7863283)
Kevin I had a douchbag do a big peel out in the parking lot down by the concession; I'm surprised you didn't hear it at the tent. There was a fairly decent sized group in the lineup kinda shaking their heads so I stated revscene.net does not condone that sort of behavior at all just so they wouldn't think bad about everyone else.

I honestly didn't see or hear that *****, thanks for doing what you did though. :thumbs:

saucywoman 03-27-2012 06:59 AM

You spelt my name wrong ***** :p
Of course I'm gonna say something when there's a big crowd of people at the concession not knowing why were there; I don't want them thinking the site is full of a bunch of tools like those that were being idiotic

jACEDesignsLtd 03-29-2012 10:29 PM

ok thread moved. Everyone else gets a say, I only ask that it be mature discussion. Thanks

Mr.C 03-29-2012 11:18 PM

How exactly would a police presence work? Wouldn't they technically have to hand out VIs too?

Raid3n 03-30-2012 12:27 AM

they don't have to do anything....

sulos 04-02-2012 10:21 AM

I remeber the police being there at previous meets, I think it is a good idea. If something on your car isn't legal then it is fair if you get a ticket for it but I would hope that they would mostly give out warnings unless it is dangerous.

It is a shame when a few bad apples ruin a meet.

Also, can you work out some better weather next time? Maybe a sunny 25 would be nice.

tiger_handheld 04-02-2012 01:41 PM

*disclaimer - 2nd spring meet / never been to a summer meet.

What is the purpose of the spring and summer meets?

I was at the booth protecting the donuts for a while and had to take off early, but it seemed it was all about taking pics of rides and talking to guys that one would talk to on a regular basis.

It would be much better if there was some sort of organized activity/contest that gathers the crowds at scheduled times. For example, I noticed Suzuki as a sponsor - good. It would've been better if they had some sort of give away that promoted their brand and awarded a user. They don't have to be massive awards - i'm sure $30 gas card will go a long way.

Also the RS booth had donuts and coffee and were selling stickers - awesome. Maybe we can use more donuts/coffee in the morning and say pizza by the slice in the afternoon. I noticed a shitload of people drop $8-10 for a burger at the concession. I understand that there maybe logistical /estimation issues - but with prior experience I think it can be worked out. Maybe invite Roaming Dragon/other food vendor for the summer meet?

It would be a great idea to have the speed watch/community policing team to visit the site and keep order.

Overall it was a nice to put some faces to usernames and meet new ppl.

!Nhan 04-02-2012 03:00 PM

Hard part about having food vendors is that they need to have a permit to sell food. Hence why at almost all but last summer meet there wasn't any food vendors around.

Raid3n 04-02-2012 06:25 PM

spring meet is just to get all the cars to come out of the woodwork. the summer meet is where the action is at. if you've never been to a summer meet you are missing out... because all those things you listed? guess what, thats where they are lol.

we dont really have any of that at the spring meets cause it's a public lot, we haven't rented the space so we cant really do anything to disrupt the usage of the lot... filling all of them up is bad as it is haha.

Over9K 04-02-2012 06:47 PM

No need for patrolling, nothing bad with burnouts :S

You guys need to learn to have some fun!

This forum is WAY to over moderated.