REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
I took Math 11 at a public school one summer to get ahead. I finished with a grade of 90%. I went back to my private school and they insisted that I take it again with them. Eventually, I gave in and decided to take it again; I got 70% doing it the 2nd time around at my private school. Some of the reason why was obviously because I didn't put as much effort the 2nd time around, knowing I had already gotten 90%, but most of the reason why was because the material was a lot more advanced.

It's a lot tougher to ace the material at private schools than it is at public schools, simply because the material is far more advanced at private schools. The provincial exams, on the other hand, seemed like jokes compared to the advanced material that we had actually learned. Universities that are taking applicants know this and therefore, your lower marks at private school do not hurt you. I had very mediocre marks (maybe even less than mediocre) at my private school, but got accepted everywhere I had applied, even when my marks were below the expected cut-off.

Another thing that has been left unsaid about private schools is that academics is only a portion of what you get taught. Respect, personal integrity, moral character, responsibility, leadership, and the importance of community service are just a few other things that students will learn if attending a good private school.
Same thing happened to me....Challenge a course in public school, get a 97%, go back to private school, getting 70's to 80's....

Needless to say, I don't regret a single day of being in private school. Every school has its pros and cons but the kids at my school, for the most part, understood morals, had character, took leadership and helped the community.

At my school, we followed the 3 T's. Truth, tolerance and tobacco (no smoking.) We didn't have any locks on our lockers and yet we managed not to get our property stolen. The teachers had respect for the students and vice versa.

The majority of the kids from my grade are doing something productive in their lives. Majority of them are university graduates, a little more than a handful are simply in the job field but are still doing something worthwhile that they enjoy. We're still in touch with all our friends, our school was small and close-knit and there wasn't a single person in the entire school who's name I did not know.

My graduating class had 63 kids in it, in total. Mind you, that means there 20-23 kids in each classroom at a time (grade was split into 3 groups for every class.)

Private school isn't all about the education, although you do get tougher curriculum that challenges students and they set higher goals making the provincial standards look like a child's play. But in addition, I never experienced any racism, bullying or discrimination. It was a positive environment to learn and be around so we can grow as students.

PS, Southridge FTW.
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #52
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
^ did you go to burnett after all the gang memebers were kicked out (2007 ish)or before?

I guess one on one time is really dependent on the teachers. Some teachers really want to teach and will go to great lengths while some are just gtfo after three. Try to look for teachers that have been at the school for eons, rarely will new teachers give tons of one on one time after school or in class.

i graduated from burnett in 2005

it seems like everyone is praising private school, things must have changed a lot since back when i was in a private school, there was a lot of tension with fraser academy across from us. they were pretty racist too, our school was very multicultural

OP you can always schedule a tour and speak to some teachers and principle about attending the school

Last edited by bigzz786786; 03-25-2012 at 05:01 PM.
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #53
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzz786786 View Post
^lol seriously!?

is mr.stevens still the principle? that fat tobacco chewing ass
Mr Stevens? Must have been before my time, when did you grad? - there's still beef with Fraser academy (dont know if they hate is or we hate them..) occasionally some tension builds up and looks like there'll be a fight between schools
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #54

ah good thing he left, back then there was a school fight with fraser academy, our gr.11 and 12 vs their's. There was also quite a few drug busts at st.johns too, mostly for the same guy lol
Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #55
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
St. John's is a great school now, really been cleaned up and pushed academically (IB now...) But it's not an all girls school so we should go back to the topic...

York and Crofton are great schools from my experience with them (both like academically and as people like personalities and the such). I would advise against LFA personally due to the Catholic aspects of it. My friends sister goes to LFA and although she isn't Catholic, she must attend the Catholic classes (which happen I believe 3 times a week) and this is time that could be used in other studies. While York and Crofton are more focused. Also, for athletics Crofton and York dominate athletically in the private school conferences and occasionally in the public school AAA system (basketball).
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #56

+1 for York, had a few friends attend York
Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #57
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

From the girls that I know from both YHS and CHS (LFA...don't send your child there unless Catholicism is very important to you, but let me warn you you're hindering your child's education because Religion is a mandatory course and limits the other course options she could be taking), a lot of CHS girls end up in the States while YHS mainly end up in the East Coast of Canada. This is a huge generalization based only on my graduating year, but if it helps, seems like CHS girls have higher chances of getting into Ivy league schools than YHS if that counts.
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote