REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Girl private schools

Hey revscene! I am planning to enrol my daughter to a private school and was just wondering which all girl private school is the best? Anyone here have a relative/their own daughter attending to one of these schools already?? Crofton, York, Little Flower.. etc.

much appreciated if any advice is given as I am clueless on which school is better
Advertisement
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

My wife went here, and swears by taking her future daughters to here.
on van island.

An All Girl Day & Boarding School | St. Margaret's School
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

You should definitely set up a meeting to speak with each of the principals so you can get a first-hand opinion yourself.

If I'm not mistaken, LFA is a Catholic school, if that would play into your decision. I'm not sure of the others
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,537 Times in 556 Posts
If you're looking at a school based solely on academics, take a look here. Otherwise, set up interviews to see the schools.
FN-2199 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
OoooOooO.. Crofton and LFA...
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
Why all-girls only?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
am I the only one that thinks of this when I see LFA?
Spoiler!

Anyways back on topic - OP are you of a certain religion? it's easier to get into schools if the parents belong to the religious group that the school is founded in.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
This title intentionally left blank MOD

I think LFA and I think Granville/West King Edward. I grew up in Vancouver though.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
I dated a couple girls who went to private schools, and oh man, were they the best lay ever.

its like being away from boys your whole life just makes you wanna fuck em even more.

be wary of those school ranking websites, they arent exactly biased, but private schools will always rank higher because they have the right to refuse entry and/or expel students who arent keeping high standards,

thus public schools get all the disabled kids and the ones who cant focus ect.. bringing the average scores way down.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
if shes at least 18 i hear brazzers academy is great!
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
am I the only one that thinks of this when I see LFA?
Spoiler!

Anyways back on topic - OP are you of a certain religion? it's easier to get into schools if the parents belong to the religious group that the school is founded in.
A lot of private schools have nothing to do with religion. I am aware that LFA has to do with Catholicism, but, as far as I know, York and Crofton have nothing to do with religion.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Post pics and we help u choose.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Post pics and we help u choose.
post pics of a little girl.... pedo alert

and no religion schools as well..... hmm york house looks highly ranked

LExus LFA....
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Why all-girls only?
Good question, and Google is your friend!! lol

To make a long story short, studies have shown that girls who went to girls-only schools tend to have more confidence and not be afraid of guys in the future.

What I mean by that is, girls who went to normal school tend to think that they can never be able to beat guys. In sports, academics, etc.

However, girls who went to girls-only schools only had girl leaders, girl team captains, etc... so they know that girls can be at high levels.

In fact, they even did some research and statistics have shown that female CEOs, female general managers, or MOST women who have high social status have gone to girls-only schools. Because those women have no mindset of "we can never beat guys".
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
They have insane work loads and train students to become work horses with proper work ethic. They should transition really well into Uni.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #16

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

To make a long story short, studies have shown that girls who went to girls-only schools tend to have more confidence and not be afraid of guys in the future.

What I mean by that is, girls who went to normal school tend to think that they can never be able to beat guys. In sports, academics, etc.

However, girls who went to girls-only schools only had girl leaders, girl team captains, etc... so they know that girls can be at high levels.

In fact, they even did some research and statistics have shown that female CEOs, female general managers, or MOST women who have high social status have gone to girls-only schools. Because those women have no mindset of "we can never beat guys".
You need to understand the study for what it is and nothing more. It's also important not to emblish it or take it out of context.

The studies you speak of were conducted based on an education system entirely different from ours. Obviously, it was geographically irrelevant to us as well.

Also, are you sure the study was talking about girls in GENERAL and not girls who are struggling academically? There are too many buts and if's with these studies and it would be stupid to say that what you read in these studies are universally true.

The girls that I graduated with were smart, confident, and excelled in both academics and sports.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Not to dispute that claim, but it sounds counter-intuitive to me.

For example, if you grow up on, say, a ranch or something, you learn how to handle yourself around horses and cows, because you grew up and developed around them, and you have a ton of experience around them.

Take a person raised in the city, toss them onto a farm, and see how long it takes for a horse to kick them in the face or something.

It just seems odd that isolating your daughter from a potential obstacle during her formative years would, in fact, help her overcome that obstacle in the future.

Sure, they don't have the mindset of "we can't beat the guys", because they don't really KNOW or UNDERSTAND what guys are, and how they work, not because they haven't been beaten by them.
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #18

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

maybe all girl schools offer courses in sandwich making and fellatio
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Came into this thread expecting perverted comments

Semi disappointed
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #20
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
OP has already made up his mind about sending daughter to private school. OP, you cannot ask others which school is best or better. You have to go out there and find out for yourself. Interview. Flash the money. Hope your daughter gets in.

First world issues...........

Anyway, start here.

BC Private and Independent Schools, British Columbia
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
Crofton is great. Similar to st georges private school for boys, arguably the top HS in Vancouver

Little Flower is a catholic Christian school but u dont hv to be catholic
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
I dated a couple girls who went to private schools, and oh man, were they the best lay ever.

its like being away from boys your whole life just makes you wanna fuck em even more.
People are meant to live in a mixed-gender society, and schools that practice gender segregation is just putting stupid people-imposed rules against nature and human instincts -- it just doesn't work, esp on children. Glove is 100% correct about the all-girls school that's screwing their minds up.

From the people I've dealt with that came from the private education system, I'd have to say that West Point Gray Academy does a spectacular job. That is not to say everyone of their student is stellar 4.33 GPA material with loads of extracurricular credentials on their CV while excelling at some kind of sports. But their programs, especially the extracurricular stuff, are really comprehensive and opens the students to some very broad exposures that few other schools can compare to.

Needless to say, their tuition is super expensive. Someone told me before that a year's worth is like $20k?! (And then you'd probably still have to pay extra for all the extracurricular activities -- esp the language exchange trips.) But tuition usually gets more expensive in the higher grades, and I dunno where that $20k comes in on the scale.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
that bible black school..

wait what?
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
I actually met and became friend with many girls from St. Margaret when I was attending UVic.

Those girls might seem to behave well in a sense that parents wish them to be... but let me tell ya... they party like crazzyyyyyyy~~~

But none of them worth the jail time.

On a serious note though, keep your daughter close. So you know what is really going on in her life. She is gonna be rebel sooner or later. Just make sure she stay within the boundary.

Last edited by Hehe; 03-24-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #25

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
People are meant to live in a mixed-gender society, and schools that practice gender segregation is just putting stupid people-imposed rules against nature and human instincts -- it just doesn't work, esp on children. Glove is 100% correct about the all-girls school that's screwing their minds up.

From the people I've dealt with that came from the private education system, I'd have to say that West Point Gray Academy does a spectacular job. That is not to say everyone of their student is stellar 4.33 GPA material with loads of extracurricular credentials on their CV while excelling at some kind of sports. But their programs, especially the extracurricular stuff, are really comprehensive and opens the students to some very broad exposures that few other schools can compare to.

Needless to say, their tuition is super expensive. Someone told me before that a year's worth is like $20k?! (And then you'd probably still have to pay extra for all the extracurricular activities -- esp the language exchange trips.) But tuition usually gets more expensive in the higher grades, and I dunno where that $20k comes in on the scale.
That's not including the annual donations and uniform fees. Also uniform costs between $500 - $1000. School trips are expensed from your own pocket as well and can range between $250-$500 each time. Sports teams that have custom uniforms also cost between $100-$200 each sport.