REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Good Credit Card to apply for? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665574-good-credit-card-apply.html)

toyobaru 03-29-2012 09:16 AM

Good Credit Card to apply for?

I am in the midst of applying for a credit card probably with BMO to grab myself some airmiles. I am looking for some recommendations or if anyone has seen any deals while signing up (Ie: get 500 airmiles with signing up now etc.

Recon604 03-29-2012 09:25 AM

if ur a student, you can get the bmo SPC credit card for free. Gives you cash rebates too but its little. And discounts at stores, however the SPC card has an expiry date, they only help you pay for it once. You have to buy the spc card if you want it again.

Nvasion 03-29-2012 09:27 AM

i got the rbc mastercard 2% cash back and the rbc avion platnium for my travelling

Drow 03-29-2012 09:30 AM

Bmo spc mastercard good for students. If u wanna get one let me know!

Santofu 03-29-2012 09:33 AM

Can someone educate me how does getting airmiles help you to get flight tickets?

I'm in debate to pick rebate rewards or travel cc

dachinesedude 03-29-2012 09:38 AM

MBNA SmartCash Platinum Plus

3% cash back for groceries and gas, 1% for everything else

they send you a cheque for $50 everytime you hit that cash back amount

GLOW 03-29-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dachinesedude (Post 7868186)

using this right now and it's great.
it's the current advert on RS at the top too :lawl:
first 6 months I believe it's 5% & 3% but I could be wrong

Santofu 03-29-2012 10:02 AM

For people who have TD and thinking of applying for MBNA since TD Bank bought it out...
TD Canada Trust - TD Bank Group completes MBNA asset purchase

ScizzMoney 03-29-2012 10:03 AM

Visa Black Card - buhuh!

blum2001 03-29-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santofu (Post 7868183)
Can someone educate me how does getting airmiles help you to get flight tickets?

I'm in debate to pick rebate rewards or travel cc

travel cards just get you points towards getting a free flight. I have the RBC Avion Infinite card and for every $1 i spend i get 1 point. What I've been doing is transferring my points to BA since it requires less redemption points for a flight, but there's less flexibility. My last trip from YVR to HKG, HKG to JFK to YVR was all on points (including business class from HKG to JFK and all I had to pay was $300ish for tax.

Each card has its own benefit, which one is the best for you, I have no clue.

Gumby 03-29-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 7868187)

Yep, first 6 months it's 5% & 3%.

Also, the card has no annual fee. I don't think there is any other cash back card that has no annual fee.

Santofu 03-29-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blum2001 (Post 7868206)
travel cards just get you points towards getting a free flight. I have the RBC Avion Infinite card and for every $1 i spend i get 1 point. What I've been doing is transferring my points to BA since it requires less redemption points for a flight, but there's less flexibility. My last trip from YVR to HKG, HKG to JFK to YVR was all on points (including business class from HKG to JFK and all I had to pay was $300ish for tax.

Each card has its own benefit, which one is the best for you, I have no clue.

I'm just curious... How many points did you need in order to get a trip? I'm assuming it requires a lot...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 7868209)

Also, the card has no annual fee. I don't think there is any other cash back card that has no annual fee.

Actually most of the banks does offer cash back card that has no annual fees...
However RBC is probably the 2nd top for having 2% cash back for grocery and 1% for others.

hotjoint 03-29-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 7868187)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 7868209)

+1 for the MBNA smartcash. I've had mine for rougly over a year and love it. 5% for gas and groceries for the first 6 months. 3% after that, everything else is 1%. If you sign up through greatcanadianrebates.com, you'll get $60 from the site once you're approved. That's what I did. A nice little incentive to sign up :fuckyea:

highfive 03-29-2012 10:32 AM

Keep in mind a lot of those "points" travel have expiry dates to it. I know AsiaMiles have it for sure. I believe Aeroplan points do too.

I'm using TD First Class. 3 pts for every $1. Every 10,000 points is $50 to spend towards travelling. Never expires. And you can apply the money to expedia or any travel agency that's cheap. It does have annual fee of $120. But if you open a select service chqing account and have $5000 in there. ALL fees will be waived. Free Chqing, free CC, free safe deposit box, free us visa, free money drafts.

blum2001 03-29-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santofu (Post 7868212)
I'm just curious... How many points did you need in order to get a trip? I'm assuming it requires a lot...

The actual flight was booked via British Airway's Avios program which offers 1.5, which was about 112000 avios points give or take which include business class for 1 leg of the trip. So actual AvioN points it cost me 74000 points.

Sounds like a lot of points but I literally throw everything on my credit card, plus I'm able to expense things for work using my credit card.

Santofu 03-29-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blum2001 (Post 7868245)
The actual flight was booked via British Airway's Avios program which offers 1.5, which was about 112000 avios points give or take which include business class for 1 leg of the trip. So actual AvioN points it cost me 74000 points.

Sounds like a lot of points but I literally throw everything on my credit card, plus I'm able to expense things for work using my credit card.

Wow that's a lot... Does it expire like highfive mentioned? How long did it take you to reach that amount? And I'm wondering how much do you spent...

dachinesedude 03-29-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santofu (Post 7868199)
For people who have TD and thinking of applying for MBNA since TD Bank bought it out...
TD Canada Trust - TD Bank Group completes MBNA asset purchase

cant wait till they integrate the card information into EasyWeb, i hate having to go to MBNA's site to look at the balance

imo travel reward cards are a waste of money if you dont spend alot (students, normal consumers), but if you own a business and buy inventory with the card, cha-ching $$

rageguy 03-29-2012 11:38 AM

I've had the MBNA Smart Cash for 3 years now. Never looked back. No annual fees. 3%/1% cash back. This wins. I now have the World version of the card. It's even better with lots of features. Price protection, concierge, etc.

blum2001 03-29-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santofu (Post 7868248)
Wow that's a lot... Does it expire like highfive mentioned? How long did it take you to reach that amount? And I'm wondering how much do you spent...

I'll be honest, I have no clue when/if my avion points expire. I always book flights frequently so I never really thought about that.

For the 74000 point I think it probably took me just over a year? Keep in mind I expense a LOT of things for work so it goes on the card and I get a check back for it. Out of that I'd say 30,000 points is from work, and the rest are just everyday spending, bills, etc... I also own Canucks Season tickets so every year it's an automatic $8+k for the season + $4500ish for playoffs, so right there it's an easy 12500 points right there. What helps is putting on large items like insurance, Internet/cable bills, large dinners etc on your card instead of paying cash.

For me getting flights are more important then cash back or other types of rewards, I think you just have to decide what's more important to you.

Gumby 03-29-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santofu (Post 7868212)
Actually most of the banks does offer cash back card that has no annual fees...
However RBC is probably the 2nd top for having 2% cash back for grocery and 1% for others.

The unique thing (I could be wrong) about the MBNA card is that they will mail you a check for $50, and you can do whatever you want with that money.

RBC's cash back card, for example, will only give you your "cash" back in the form of a credit on your cc statement.

tiger_handheld 03-29-2012 12:08 PM

RBC Rewards

cash , travel , merchandise
$1 = 1point
$39 annual fee

when you need to travel , ugprade to avion ($120 fee - less what you paid for original) to get better point redemption rates and you can downgrade after 8 mo's :)

can redeem 36,000 points for RBC line of credit "credit" - thats $300 free cash provided you have a RBC LOC.

highfive 03-29-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blum2001 (Post 7868290)
I'll be honest, I have no clue when/if my avion points expire. I always book flights frequently so I never really thought about that.

For the 74000 point I think it probably took me just over a year? Keep in mind I expense a LOT of things for work so it goes on the card and I get a check back for it. Out of that I'd say 30,000 points is from work, and the rest are just everyday spending, bills, etc... I also own Canucks Season tickets so every year it's an automatic $8+k for the season + $4500ish for playoffs, so right there it's an easy 12500 points right there. What helps is putting on large items like insurance, Internet/cable bills, large dinners etc on your card instead of paying cash.

For me getting flights are more important then cash back or other types of rewards, I think you just have to decide what's more important to you.

I don't believe Avion points expire. Only airlines reward points do I think.

Like you have to do comparisons of what type of travel you prefer.

Using blum's figure of 74,000 points. I assume it costs you $74,000 to get it. I don't know where did you go?

Compare it to the TD first class, that would be equivalent to $1,100.00 ($74,000 x 3 points / 10,000 x $50) for you to spend on travel, hotel, car rentals.

So it really depends...I personally notice my TD one is better suited for domestic traveling like Canada or the US. It's not that as competitive if I were to travel to Hong Kong and i have to use Asia Miles.

Speaking of Asia Miles, you have to do your booking really early or their "asia miles" seats are sold out.

blum2001 03-29-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highfive (Post 7868358)
I don't believe Avion points expire. Only airlines reward points do I think.

Like you have to do comparisons of what type of travel you prefer.

Using blum's figure of 74,000 points. I assume it costs you $74,000 to get it. I don't know where did you go?

Compare it to the TD first class, that would be equivalent to $1,100.00 ($74,000 x 3 points / 10,000 x $50) for you to spend on travel, hotel, car rentals.

So it really depends...I personally notice my TD one is better suited for domestic traveling like Canada or the US. It's not that as competitive if I were to travel to Hong Kong and i have to use Asia Miles.

Speaking of Asia Miles, you have to do your booking really early or their "asia miles" seats are sold out.

yep, approx $74000. My trip I went from YVR to HKG Economy, HKG to JFK Business Class, JFK to YVR Economy. This is only possible with the RBC to BA conversion program. It used to be a lot better before but now it costs me more Avion points to convert to BA (BA is a partner with Cathay).

Quote:

Originally Posted by highfive (Post 7868358)

I book through British Airways Executive Club. The seats are limited and so are the dates, my last trip I got lucky I was able to book within 1 week. BA Exec club has gone to crap since changing to Avios. Last year I booked a trip to HK which cost me 50,000 BA points which is 33334 RBC Avion points. With the Avios, it increased to something like 50,000 RBC Avion points for me to use BA and it seems harder to find flights these days.

Nightwalker 03-29-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

I'm using this too, plus got cash for joining by applying through Great Canadian Rebates - Cash Back Rebates & Online Coupons

Never carrying a balance and receiving checks in the mail from my credit card company feels REAL good :)

StaxBundlez 03-29-2012 01:50 PM

http://www.freecodesource.com/album-...-2-Da-Game.jpg