REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

I have no problems with drivers risk premium fines, but on the flip side, shouldn't they in turn be rewarding "safe drivers" with additional discounts???!!!
Advertisement
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuracura View Post
4444: just curious, how many tickets have you recieved and went to court for? What were the outcomes if you don't mind sharing. Not trying to put you on the spot or anything, it's more out of curiousity because you said it was really hard to convict someone yet I see people go to trial at traffic court and lose all the time.
many, paid none - win all.

why? its because i understand the system, understand law, etc. going in without a plan is who you see losing, if you have half a brain, its easy.

i'd say the trick to it, and the trick to life, is to figure out how something works (i.e. how they can prove you guilty), then find a weakness, in fact find many weaknesses for back up

idiots who go in deserve to pay, if they're not smart enough in court (i.e. not wearing a suit to start), probably they aren't smart enough to be driving at speed safely in teh first place
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post

why? its because i understand the system, understand law, etc. going in without a plan is who you see losing, if you have half a brain, its easy.

i'd say the trick to it, and the trick to life, is to figure out how something works (i.e. how they can prove you guilty), then find a weakness, in fact find many weaknesses for back up

idiots who go in deserve to pay, if they're not smart enough in court (i.e. not wearing a suit to start), probably they aren't smart enough to be driving at speed safely in teh first place
True for life. Unless you know how something works, you can't fix it, build it change it or manipulate it.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #29
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
I have no problems with drivers risk premium fines, but on the flip side, shouldn't they in turn be rewarding "safe drivers" with additional discounts???!!!
They do, you get 5% off every year you don't get into any accidents. you can accumulate to 43% off your insurance. (i think it's 43%)
anti_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I only speed when others speed, so I could "flow with traffic"
Duff Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:01 AM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Really, ANYONE who is whining about ICBC should really STFU and try getting a quote from Ontario. I am 30 with 10 years clean driving record and 35% discount in GVRD, pays less than $2000 for comprehensive @ 1 mill and 500 deduc, plus whatever my insurance suggested to be a "good pertection".

My current insurance quote with Ontario stands @ 5k.

And really, if you thin drivers risk premium is a money grab, just follow the fucking rules and don't SPEED!
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #32
I don't get it

When you try to renew your insurance or driver license, they won't let you. You have to pay it first . I got it, it sucks, don't get anymore tickets or it just increases by however much they want.
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:14 AM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Premium fines is another ICBC money grab. They're taxing the tax! One speeding ticket and you're fucked. Instead of 2 fines...why not have one outright price. ICBC is just sugar coating your eventual continual ass rape.

It was just last year when they were trying to implement increasing insurance rates for traffic violators and not based one your driving history claim. It was quickly struckdown by all of us and the media attention it got. But ICBC planted the seed...knowing the next time they announce it...it'll pass.

I can tell you the whole autobody industry hates ICBC. Any one thinking about this trade should heavily consider another one first.
Because then if you get only one ticket you'll have to pay more

The way the driver penalty premium works is, you suck at driving and get MANY tickets = a certain amount of points... you pay. If you only get one ticket every few years, it dosen't affect you.

Stop speeding, problem solved.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouwou View Post
Really, ANYONE who is whining about ICBC should really STFU and try getting a quote from Ontario. I am 30 with 10 years clean driving record and 35% discount in GVRD, pays less than $2000 for comprehensive @ 1 mill and 500 deduc, plus whatever my insurance suggested to be a "good pertection".

And really, if you thin drivers risk premium is a money grab, just follow the fucking rules and don't SPEED!
you're doing something wrong, then, because under private insurance, someone with no claims over 25 and no speeding tickets in last 3 years WILL pay less

also, unless you had a premium 10 years ago, you're lying:
10 years clean driving at 5% per year = cap out at 43% discount... maybe you just rounded up from 7 years to 10 or you had a premium at 20, but as i say, there's more to this story.

the only ppl that government run insurance helps are under 25 year olds (highest risk group) and fucktards who can't afford insurance so tehy get their parents to insure their cars and then proceed to drive around in them (how ICBC hasn't realized this is actually a big problem is beyond me - insure the person, not the car!!!)
Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #35
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I hate how they mail you the bill just before your birthday, due on your birthday...it's such a mood killer
jerche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #36
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti_rice View Post
They do, you get 5% off every year you don't get into any accidents. you can accumulate to 43% off your insurance. (i think it's 43%)
That's for accidents. We're talking about traffic violation tickets here. If you get into an accident, your premium goes up. If you drive accident-free, your premium goes down. If you get a traffic violation, your premium goes up. Shouldn't my premium go further down if I don't get any tickets then?
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
That's for accidents. We're talking about traffic violation tickets here. If you get into an accident, your premium goes up. If you drive accident-free, your premium goes down. If you get a traffic violation, your premium goes up. Shouldn't my premium go further down if I don't get any tickets then?
your logic is horrid on this one!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #38
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
you're doing something wrong, then, because under private insurance, someone with no claims over 25 and no speeding tickets in last 3 years WILL pay less

also, unless you had a premium 10 years ago, you're lying:
10 years clean driving at 5% per year = cap out at 43% discount... maybe you just rounded up from 7 years to 10 or you had a premium at 20, but as i say, there's more to this story.

the only ppl that government run insurance helps are under 25 year olds (highest risk group) and fucktards who can't afford insurance so tehy get their parents to insure their cars and then proceed to drive around in them (how ICBC hasn't realized this is actually a big problem is beyond me - insure the person, not the car!!!)
I just did one of those online quotes on Kanetix. I'm 28, driving a 97 Acura Integra; I have never had a moving violation, never been suspended, never had an at-fault accident (My ICBC Claim Scale is at 43%) My insurance here is just over $1500 - but the lowest quote I got was $1750 WITH a higher deductible ($500 vs $300 for both Collision and Comprehensive). All the other quotes they showed me was well over $2000.

And that's with a supposed CAA discount :P
Old 03-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #39

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouwou View Post

i appreciate your infantile brand of logic...because ontario sucks harder, people in bc dont have the right to criticize a local corporation?

why is accepting without questioning such a socially desirable trait with people like you?
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I just did one of those online quotes on Kanetix. I'm 28, driving a 97 Acura Integra; I have never had a moving violation, never been suspended, never had an at-fault accident (My ICBC Claim Scale is at 43%) My insurance here is just over $1500 - but the lowest quote I got was $1750 WITH a higher deductible ($500 vs $300 for both Collision and Comprehensive). All the other quotes they showed me was well over $2000.

And that's with a supposed CAA discount :P
that's f'd, if i were back in the UK, i'd be paying pennies on the dollar for insurance, or if i were back down in the states
Old 03-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #41

£ĄSid, the ICBC system is not broken. Broken would indicate that ICBC is charging innocent people more than they should be paying. The DRP only applies to people who hit one of the three criteria above, all of which can be easily avoided if reasonable rules are followed. At most ICBC has a harsh system, and I have no problem punishing people who disregard speed limits and put other people's life at risk.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #42

@4444, sorry for not quoting, cellphone sux.

I have 35% currently because I have been working almost three years in HK, and 35% is what I have when I left Burnaby three years ago. Funny thing is even CHINA of all places would take into consideration of my driving record and offer much lower rates than Ontario. 5k is what a 19 yrs old would pay with a new license.

As for the reward for not receiving tickets, aka doing what you are supposed to do? The same reason why you are not rewarded because you obey the law.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #43
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
And I'm not going to lie...I kind of get the help. When I was in that age bracket, it would suck to be told that you are paying out your ass just because of nothing you have done, yet, but your age and sex.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
And I'm not going to lie...I kind of get the help. When I was in that age bracket, it would suck to be told that you are paying out your ass just because of nothing you have done, yet, but your age and sex.
but you're being insured for what you are about to do, statistically

insurance is ALL about statistics, they should be the only basis for your premiums, not government intervention or anything else
Old 03-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #45
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:

this, first time i disputed a ticket, judge gave me a break because i wore a suit and actually tried to fight for it. The kid before me was wearing jeans and a hoodie and didn't get his facts straight judge owned him.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #46
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

To be honest, I think icbc and the government should take a look at why there is constantly speed violations. Going 10km/h over the speed limit isn't putting anyone in danger, going the speed limit however will cause road rage because the flow of the traffic isn't going the speed limit. The speed limit was put in effect decades ago when there were no electronic aids such as abs or traction control, no airbags, tires that are so inferior compared to now nor crumple zones. As technology advances, the government needs to evolve with it as well. I remember posting up a report a while ago (not sure if it was revscene or bcsportbike) which basically show evidence that fast drivers on the road actually helps contributes to ease congestion on the road by approximately 5-15 percent (don't remember exactly). However living in a city where its all about being green and pubic transit, I don't see the government doing any improvements.

Last edited by 46_valentinor; 03-31-2012 at 08:19 PM.
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #47
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

insurance is ALL about statistics, they should be the only basis for your premiums, not government intervention or anything else
Oh, I totally agree...now

I'm just saying it would have sucked...then.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #48
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:

I don't the statistics, but if they say men get in more (or more expensive) accidents, do you think we should pay more in insurance?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I don't the statistics, but if they say men get in more (or more expensive) accidents, do you think we should pay more in insurance?
yes, if supported by fact, i do, equally, i as a >25 yr old would like to benefit from being in a statistically safer group of drivers
Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #50
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
i as a >25 yr old would like to benefit from being in a statistically safer group of drivers
We do

If you have >10 years driving experience (accident or not), you do get a further discount (as long as other drivers in your household who use the vehicle also have >10 years driving experience, which is only fair)
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote