REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #51
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 20 Posts
Hm, I'm beginning to think maybe its the proprietary software within our company that we use on our berries.

At work, most commonly it's either people's berries not turning on at all, or randomly resets itself every 15 mins.
Advertisement

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #52
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 174 Times in 35 Posts
Firmware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #53
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 20 Posts
"Batteries included"

:

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #54
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 174 Times in 35 Posts

Where are those blackberry haters attt ?

D:
Firmware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #55
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 530 Times in 136 Posts
GG
Old 03-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #56
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
did i miss something? all i heard about yesterday were a bunch of high level executives were fired "resigning" but the plan is still to come out with BB10 devices this fall etc
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #57
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Failed 205 Times in 120 Posts
yep. sounds like what he said was misunderstood and the media ran with it

RIM is NOT planning to exit the consumer market - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

and CNet sees it as a great thing for the company even tho the article is filled with errors (they didnt lose 80% of their sales, they lost 20%)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...ems-to-get-it/
Old 03-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #58
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Failed 206 Times in 108 Posts
blackberry the new nokia?

which would be great since nokia's making something of a comeback in north america
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #59
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,691 Times in 1,078 Posts
Failed 150 Times in 73 Posts
you sad bro?
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #60
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
Good time to buy RIM stock possibly. They either will make a comeback or get bought out.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #61

not that Im involved in stocks at all, because Im not. But I STRONGLY believe RIM will bounce back once BB10 launches. theres a lot going on within RIM that the apple and android fanboys dont know about because the media doesnt talk about it. the only people who hear about it are people who are interested in RIM. RIM is definitely at minimum a year to 18 months behind where they should be, but theres some things coming down the pipe that are going to get them back on track. As they just said yesterday, they have spread themselves way too thin trying to dabble in too many things and they need to focus on doing a few things well, not doing everything half assed and slow.

BB10 on a touch screen a slider and a bold. and the playbook
BB7 on a curve for the entry level phone market.

no tv, movies, music store, etc. PARTNER with providers of those things, not run them themselves.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #62
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 313 Times in 50 Posts
I was hugely supportive of RIM/Berry for 6 years until this past October. The shitty web browsing that didn't load correctly, shitty overall interface, joke of apps simply did not outweigh the beauty of BBM and the touch key pad. When nearly one third (maybe more) of my BBM list bailed in October when the RIM servers crashed and went iPhone or Android, I jumped to a Galaxy S2 and was blown away. It wasn't until 2 months later when I charged the berry up to sell on Craigs that I realized how big of a joke the berry was in comparison. Yes the berry had better battery life, BBM, and a keypad, but added up, it was still a POS. Realizing this only made me angrier at RIM for having blindly supported them for that much longer when other friends had told me to bail and get an iPhone.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #63
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,771 Times in 5,864 Posts
Failed 2,049 Times in 680 Posts
in terms of sharing media, imessage and bbm isnt even close

sharing 2 minute videos via cloud with imessage? BBM's R&D dept dont even have that on their mind.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #64
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
blackberry the new nokia?

which would be great since nokia's making something of a comeback in north america
nokia was never in a dire situation like RIM though regardless of their failing smartphone sales they were still well ahead of RIM & they still had their dumbphone sales & their network side of the biz

it was rumored that even Nokia was going to buy RIM before their msft deal

and yes its probably a good idea to buy some RIM stock (or it WAS a good idea) just like NOK its been going up recently
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #65
This title intentionally left blank MOD

Failed 76 Times in 14 Posts
I will say this for my 9700, it was durable. Didn't matter what happened to it, it held up.

I'm far more careful with my Gnex. I actually won't take my Gnex snowboarding. I use my Galaxy S Captivate for snowboarding.

There is a definite benefit as a business user for blackberry, but as an end consumer, touchscreens are

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #66
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 191 Times in 65 Posts
I didn't like the iPhone because I can't change my profiles. I either had silent or normal. Yea I can manually set my apps and stuff with no sound or such and such, but I liked BB cuz it was all in one place
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #67
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,214 Posts
Failed 613 Times in 192 Posts
IMHO, RIM has to focus on providing SERVICES rather than competing with hardware.

For corporate users, security and reliability are top priorities. Make a PRO grade coverage on BBs (like rush replacement services, calls/mail/message routing... etc) and stick with the security level that BBs have always had.

Then design a framework where app developers can easily develop apps (sandboxing comes to mind) while retaining the level of security.

If all the business users stick around, I don't see anything wrong on sticking with that niche.

Leave the consumer market for Apple/Google
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #68
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Failed 73 Times in 13 Posts
blackberry is the way to go when it comes to a work phone

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #69
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Failed 797 Times in 212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmware View Post

Where are those blackberry haters attt ?

D:
right here.

im not a complete hater, but as a phone fanatic, i do dislike blackberry's. but seeing all these posts saying iphones and android sucks, i have to reply.

blackberry's (at no surprise) are pretty darn slow, unreliable at times, call quality is not as good as my nexus s old iphone 4 for sure. but i do miss how you can customize any app to vibrate and ring as you like. no other platform has the strong vibrate the blackberry has. fuck, i can barely feel the vibrate of my nexus even when im holding it lol. messaging is pretty good on the blackberry. mind you, my experience isnt just the typical "i played with my friends iphone/droid" found on this specific thread from other rs members. but ive owned a 8530. 2 9000's, 9300 curve, 9700, 9780 and a 9800 through the past 3 years.

the blackberry is a good phone if all you need to do is send messages and emails. but outside of that, i think its a pretty shitty phone. app support is horrible. when im in app world its like im shopping in a tiny corner store whereas i feel like im in costco when im on my iphone. blackberry's are terrible phones if you need to do other things.

iphone and droid on the other hand are for more media orientated people. droid is for people who are anal for appearance and usability. iphone is pretty much the fun phone. for droids and iphones, you really need to know how to use the phone and play around to enjoy the phone. of course its a boring phone if you dont download a single app on the phone.

going off topic a tiny bit, i always think how its stupid that blackberry users think physical keyboards > touchscreen keyboards. touchscreens arent something you will get used to instantly. its like riding a bike, it takes time to get used to. unless you tried touchscreen on the blackberry torch which has a completely garbage touchscreen. i can type faster than my blackberry friends with my android and can even type blindfolded with mods like swiftkeyX. even if i do type slower on a touchscreen, its totally worth the sacrifice when i can do so much more on my droid/iphone.

but with all that being said, blackberry's are good phones if all you need to do is message. but you cant just say iphones/androids suck cause you dont like em

Last edited by insomniac; 03-30-2012 at 10:07 PM.
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #70

I dont think most Blackberry fans say Iphone/Android phones suck. I think most BB owners realize the potential and capability of the Iphone or Android phones, but prefer their Blackberry. On the other hand, most Iphone or Android owners blanketly say the other 2 platform/devices are garbage.

As for BBs not being good at media and bullshittery, thats fine. I have a bold in my pocket and a $199 playbook in the truck/at home. the playbook is better at the media side of things, and the blackberry is better at being a phone. Plus once I got the playbook, I couldn't imagine using a tiny touch screen for the things I personally use the playbook for (task management, note taking, work stuff, browsing, file management/editing, etc.

tldr: I can definitely see how Android and Iphones are absolutely fantastic devices and have a fair bit of experience with them; I simply prefer the way that Blackberry does the things that I use a phone for.

Last edited by RRxtar; 03-30-2012 at 10:43 PM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #71
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Failed 765 Times in 247 Posts
i just use my fucking phone and ignore hongers who talk about phones all day.

get a job you bums.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: