REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

When is someone going to open a CurryWurst joint. Soooooo goooooood
Advertisement

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #27
RS controls my life!

Will try at least a few of those. I am not a big fan of hot dog carts..
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #28
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
vancouver food carts... what a joke... The owner of vij's is on the council and he voted in his own carts??? if that isnt a blatant conflict on interest, i dont know what is....
Source?
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts

This guy and his truck catered a film set I was working on a few weeks ago. Amazing food. Glad to see he was successful in getting a spot.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
-pretty good taco at this Korean food cart in downtown. -on Richards and West Georgia:

http://whateveryoudesire.files.wordp...7/img_4482.jpg
Old 04-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Mayor Gregor Robertson said the kind of culinary ingenuity approved Monday is helping Vancouver to become a destination for food-loving people with sophisticated tastes.

Read more: Vancouver's 12 new food carts 'reflective of city's cultural diversity'
as long as people eat at bad resteraunts, you will never become singapore vancouver
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
meh never really liked street food, i hate standing and eating and i especially hate eating food in a hurry. I like to sit down and take my time, ill only get street food if i absolutely have to or if im drunk
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #33
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
-pretty good taco at this Korean food cart in downtown. -on Richards and West Georgia:

http://whateveryoudesire.files.wordp...7/img_4482.jpg
This idea was straight taken from Kogi Taco Trucks in the Los Angeles area. I'll def. give it a try and see how it compares.

Sooo goooood ...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #34
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
vancouver food carts... what a joke... The owner of vij's is on the council and he voted in his own carts??? if that isnt a blatant conflict on interest, i dont know what is....

just setup a general area that is covered so people can come.... instead of spreading it all out. HK is so far ahead of the curve when it comes to this.....
I am not sure where you got your information but this is 100% false. Vij was one of the 7 members independent from the City who were chosen to vote in last years street vendors. Having first hand knowledge of every single vendor chosen, absolutely not one knew Vij, nor is anybody related to him. He currently does NOT have a food truck or cart in Vancouver or have any direct relationship with any as of yet.

Secondly, the reason food trucks are spread out is because we have a downtown core filled with tons of brick and morter establishments already. The city chooses and approves destinations so the food trucks are not all competing with the small slice of the pie of customers that eat at food trucks. The more you clump together, the less likely of each truck being successful. As well, the point of food carts and trucks is for the ability to place them all over the streets of downtown to give a variety of products in different areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
food still sucks and is mostly reliant on frozen food with little focus on how good it tastes.

just a speculation. It's been a while since i've had food that was like "WOW"
This is obviously speculation like you say and completely false. I don't think I know of a single cart or truck, except maybe those at the Chinese Night Market (which I would not include as part of Vancouver's program) that use frozen food.

I would argue that trucks and carts are the exact opposite. The use of fresh ingredients is probably what most regular food truck customers would say sets them apart. What street food have you tried? Hot dog's do not count as they are not part of the city's new street food program.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #35
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

we need more food carts in Richmond.....we're missing out all the yummy food.
mo5d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo5d View Post
we need more food carts in Richmond.....we're missing out all the yummy food.
Night market dude..have u been living under a rock?
dinamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #37
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslater View Post
I would argue that trucks and carts are the exact opposite. The use of fresh ingredients is probably what most regular food truck customers would say sets them apart. What street food have you tried? Hot dog's do not count as they are not part of the city's new street food program.
Too be fair I'm being very very skeptical. The reason I say it, is because so many times someone comes out with a great idea to create fresh stick to your bones food and then a few months later in an effort to save money cheap out on ingredients while jacking up the price. But people still eat there, because it's still "decent". Now I havn't tried the foodtrucks yet. I did have re-up I think which had a po-boy which I wasn't a big fan of, something about the ciabbata bun through me off. plus when I bit into it I got a steaming amount of oil in my face which hurt like hell. This saturday I might go try some though.

I do find that alot of places will take an idea and run with it and try to chain out as fast as they can. The 5 years I spent working on granville I remember seeing like 1 million megabytes opening.

Man I wish we had places that did a good psistaria like in greece. Essentially it's like a chinese bbq place except greek and the food cooks in the store window over a charcoal flame

Last edited by Meowjin; 04-05-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote