REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #26
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
FlightAware > Korean Air Lines Co. (KE) #72 Flight Tracker

interesting they didn't bring it into YVR.
It would be stupid to bring in an airliner with a possible bomb threat into a dense city...

If it were true and it detonate near residential area, it would be chaos..
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #27
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I wonder what kind of info the caller provided to be deemed an 'actual threat.' Too bad we'll never likely find out.

Is this the prequel to the launch of the North's long range 'satellite' rocket? I expect the latter to be as equally anticlimactic.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #28
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
why did the US fighter jets intercept? shouldnt it be the Canadian military? Didnt the government buy billions of dollars worth of new fight jets?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #29
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
why did the US fighter jets intercept? shouldnt it be the Canadian military? Didnt the government buy billions of dollars worth of new fight jets?
Did you not read the thread, its not like its a 5+ page thread, answer is here http://www.revscene.net/forums/66628...ml#post7881990
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #30
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post

I take it you don't keep up with the news.

F-35s have not been bought yet and are still largely in the testing phase.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc5typeS View Post
The F-15s that conducted the intercept were scrambled from Portland.
Where is the Canadian Air force ?
Not where they should be, largely due to funding. You give us no money, you won't get the full net of protection from your own forces. Pretty ironic (moronic really) that people complain that Billions of dollars are being invested in the Forces, and at the same time piss and moan when adequate protection is lacking. Get used to it, it's the fault of every Canadian for underestimating the importance of National Defence.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
Not where they should be, largely due to funding. You give us no money, you won't get the full net of protection from your own forces. Pretty ironic (moronic really) that people complain that Billions of dollars are being invested in the Forces, and at the same time piss and moan when adequate protection is lacking. Get used to it, it's the fault of every Canadian for underestimating the importance of National Defence.
Spot on.

Any idea how frequently the jets are on QRA in Comox?
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #33
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
7seven knows his stuff I think you'd all be surprised how often the USNG and USN have jets in Canadian airspace, and we should be thankful they're there.

And a huge +1 to Belka's post.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #34
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Comox is largely SAR. Canada has less than 100 Combat ready jets at any given moment.... so yeah...
Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
Spot on.

Any idea how frequently the jets are on QRA in Comox?
Posting those details would be a breach of OPSEC.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

There is no point on having C/F-18s stationed at Comox. Any hostile aircraft/object coming off the ocean would have been spotted by NORAD/NORAD Canada early enough to scramble jets from Cold Lake, or by the US. Anything coming through Alaska, would be taken care of by NORAD Alaska, and the USAF. Cold Lake, AB is an idea location to protect our northern boundaries i.e. the Canadian Arctic.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #37
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
We contribute to NORAD.. it is NORAD responsibility to protect Canadian territorial airspace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #38
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
have to scramble USAF F-15's from Oregon..

we should definitely cancel those F35's
Old 04-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #39
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
We contribute to NORAD.. it is NORAD responsibility to protect Canadian territorial airspace?
NORAD is a bi-national organization, and is split into three different regions. It seems that each region is responsible for their own assigned areas.

Quote:
The Alaskan NORAD Region (ANR) conducts airspace control within its area of operations and contributes to NORAD's aerospace warning mission. With its headquarters located at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, ANR provides an ongoing capability to detect, validate, and warn of any aircraft and/or cruise missile threat in its area of operations that could threaten North American security. ANR is supported by both active duty and Air National Guard units. Both 11th AF and the Canadian Forces provide active duty forces to the Alaskan Air and Space Operations Center. National Guard forces provide manning for the Alaskan Air Defense Sector to maintain continuous surveillance of Alaskan airspace with Alaskan Radar System long and short-range radars.

The Canadian NORAD Region (CANR) is headquartered with the 1 Canadian Air Division in Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANR executes a variety of tasks to defend Canadian airspace, including identifying and tracking all aircraft entering Canadian airspace, exercising operational command and control of all air defense forces in CANR and operations in support of other government departments and agencies. The 1 Canadian Air Division is responsible for providing CANR with combat-ready air forces to meet Canada’s commitment to the defense of North America and maintain the sovereignty of North American airspace. CANR CF-18 Hornet fighter aircraft are on continuous alert to respond to any potential aerial threat to the safety of Canada and Canadians.

The Continental NORAD Region (CONR) provides airspace surveillance and control and directs air sovereignty activities for the continental United States (CONUS). Co-located with Headquarters First Air Force at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, a Combined Air Operations Center coordinates CONR sector activities and executes the NORAD air sovereignty mission for the continental United States. CONR plans, conducts, controls, and coordinates all Air Force forces for the Commander of NORAD. The best of the US Air Force and Air National Guard fighter inventory, the F-15 Eagle, F-16 Fighting Falcon and F-22 Raptor, fly as CONR’s primary weapons systems. CONR is presently divided into two defense sectors: the Western Defense Sector, with its headquarters located at McChord Air Force Base, Washington; and the Eastern Defense Sector, with its headquarters located at Rome, New York. Within CONR is the National Capital Region (NCR) in the Washington DC area, which is protected by the NCR Integrated Air Defense System (NCR IADS) consisting of a system of radars, cameras, visual warning system, alert aircraft and Army air defense artillery assets.
North American Aerospace Defense Command
Old 04-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #40
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Yes. We've covered for the US before as well.

Canadian fighter jets temporarily fill in for U.S. air defences - North - CBC News
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #41
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
So the passengers of the flight were shuttled by the military to the Best Western in Courtenay, watched over all night, and were sent on their way today without incident.

I wonder why a bomb threat was made to that specific plane.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #42
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i was wondering why i saw so many people shuffle out of western
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #43
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
So the passengers of the flight were shuttled by the military to the Best Western in Courtenay, watched over all night, and were sent on their way today without incident.

I wonder why a bomb threat was made to that specific plane.
Shits and gigs?