REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   New B.C. liquor law to allow booze to be sold in movie theatres (https://www.revscene.net/forums/666329-new-b-c-liquor-law-allow-booze-sold-movie-theatres.html)

TheKingdom2000 04-11-2012 02:39 PM

New B.C. liquor law to allow booze to be sold in movie theatres

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/6442891.bin
http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...886/story.html
Quote:

After months of controversy, the provincial government has decided to allow movie theatres to sell liquor.

Multiplex theatres will now be allowed to apply for a licence to serve alcohol in “adult-only auditoriums and adjacent lobbies.” Single-screen and live theatres will now be allowed to apply for a licence to serve alcohol in lobbies, if minors are present, and in auditoriums, if it's an adult-only event.

“These changes give movie theatres and live-event theatres much more flexibility to operate,” stated Rich Coleman, the provincial minister for Energy and Mines, in a press release.

The issue had cropped up in recent months when struggling single-screen movie theatres applied for liquor licences so they could sell liquor at live events.

Long-standing government regulations meant that if the theatres obtained a liquor primary licence, they could no longer show movies, even if there was no alcohol being served.

Read more: New B.C. liquor law to allow booze to be sold in movie theatres

superSandhu 04-11-2012 02:48 PM

now I don't have to sneak booze inside, yaayy

GLOW 04-11-2012 02:48 PM

First thing that came to mind
http://www.frangonerd.com.br/wp-cont...-god-meme1.jpg

rsx 04-11-2012 02:49 PM

:fuckyea:

HondaGuy 04-11-2012 02:55 PM

I recall the owner and management of the theatre on east broadway and commercial were stating to acquire liquor licence, but got turned down last year. For those who remember, it was Long Shing theatre back in the 80s, now its western themed.

Hard to say if this is a good thing or not, IMO, I wouldnt want irresponsible adults whose buzzed or drunk and causing disturbance to others in a dark room watching movies. Dont wanna see a flying beer cup or liquid confidence anywhere, even if its in a bar. Just my 2 cents.

StylinRed 04-11-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

The issue had cropped up in recent months when struggling single-screen movie theatres applied for liquor licences so they could sell liquor at live events.

rofl... its only because Cineplex has been pushing the point so they could sell liquor in the VIP cinemas hence the govt decided to Okay it; they could care less when those small theatres applied for it

well expect drunk douchebags @ the movies too now

RabidRat 04-11-2012 02:59 PM

I don't think I could've survived Transformers 3 without a couple of drinks so this seems like a good idea.

On the other hand, if a small drink is already $5 at the theatre, how much is a beer going to be, like $15? :heckno:

Hehe 04-11-2012 03:11 PM

Now, this is gonna make holding your washroom run until the end of the movie like a mission impossible. :fuckthatshit:

RicePanda 04-11-2012 03:21 PM

Excuse me if I'm wrong here, but don't most establishments get their booze from BC Liquor, probably paying the same price we do to get it?

If theatres then mark that shit up for their profit... :heckno:

Although, wouldn't mind being allowed to get sloshed if being dragged to a chick flick. Not so sure if the SO would allow it though.

tool001 04-11-2012 03:23 PM

yeh, pay $10-15 for pint of beer (going by pop corn prices). no thanks

StylinRed 04-11-2012 03:28 PM

speaking of high prices I noticed the Burger King @ colossus closed guess they couldnt sell $10 whoppers

are they open at any of the other theatres?

drunkrussian 04-11-2012 04:25 PM

glad its for adult only theatres and i assume/hope there will be non-booze theatres as well for same movies

i hate it when dumb kids who can handle their liquor are all noisy and annoying during a movie. my friends and i have gotten hammered before a movie before but we shut the fuck up when the movie starts, which is more than i can say for some of the douchebags that go

Great68 04-11-2012 04:43 PM

Toughen up drinking & driving laws...

Allow more places to server liquor...

Profit?

BrRsn 04-11-2012 04:47 PM

I cant wait to see someone get drunk off their ass and tumble down the stairs

bcrdukes 04-11-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HondaGuy (Post 7882713)
I recall the owner and management of the theatre on east broadway and commercial were stating to acquire liquor licence, but got turned down last year. For those who remember, it was Long Shing theatre back in the 80s, now its western themed.

Hard to say if this is a good thing or not, IMO, I wouldnt want irresponsible adults whose buzzed or drunk and causing disturbance to others in a dark room watching movies. Dont wanna see a flying beer cup or liquid confidence anywhere, even if its in a bar. Just my 2 cents.

The theatre you're talking about is the Rio. And you're right - they were fighting to get a liquor license for the longest time. They had a unique circumstance in which allowed them to double up as a live performance venue for bands and stand-up comedy.

Because of their unique situation, it was a double-edged sword where no precedent was ever set for such an establishment. The owner of the theater cited that they were struggling to stay in business due to the fact that they had no other source of revenue other than ticket fares and the typical movie theatre popcorn and concession. The owner(s) believed selling alcohol would allow them to increase revenues.

At least we know the Hipster, Granola-munching demographic makes up their booze-drinking patronage. :fuckthatshit:

TheKingdom2000 04-11-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7882768)
speaking of high prices I noticed the Burger King @ colossus closed guess they couldnt sell $10 whoppers

are they open at any of the other theatres?

There is one at Riverport. I find the Burger King there isn't that much more expensive. You can get a Whopper jr for $4. I think a regular whopper is about $5-6.
It's pretty reasonable for a movie theatre if you ask me.

Jegz 04-11-2012 05:34 PM

Planning my next bday party at silvercity now :awwyeah:

Drow 04-11-2012 05:40 PM

lol never heard of someone drinking and watching a movie.

get a license to sell MJ or something

Mining 04-11-2012 05:41 PM

The Silvercity in Coquitlam has been serving alcoholic drinks in the lounge in the VIP seatings for a few months already. have not tried it

Presto 04-11-2012 05:55 PM

If I wanted to drink alcohol while I watch the movie, I'd just bring in a flask of 151 to mix with my overpriced Pepsi. Let me know when they'll allow hotboxing of the theatre.

Yodamaster 04-11-2012 05:58 PM

Over-censorship.

That's been the problem here for a long time, finally a step in the right direction.

Stealthy 04-11-2012 06:01 PM

http://i.imgur.com/D0PUu.gif

mekaw 04-11-2012 06:41 PM

If you go to silvercity coq, they have "VIP" where they serve alcohol with lounge and AVX theatre 19+

Gridlock 04-11-2012 06:56 PM

Benefit? No gd teenagers being stupid in the theaters.

Downside? GD drunk adults being stupid in the theaters.

winson604 04-11-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 7882739)
Now, this is gonna make holding your washroom run until the end of the movie like a mission impossible. :fuckthatshit:

This reason alone makes me not care for boos while watching movies. I much rather prefer weed anyways as boos don't do it for me while watching movies.