REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
it wasnt a small reno, pretty big one,

but we were doing everything legally, then when the inspector came,

we literally had to drop our tools and go through 2 weeks of paperwork MID project. it was fuckin rediculous, everything was eventually passed with no problems,

but why the hell would someone complain anyway? I just dont get it, why do they care what im doing to my house?
Probably some old lady neighbor with nothing better to do. "Some construction worker looked at me the wrong way so I'm going make em pay" Hate people like that.
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #27
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
city policies are stated in square metres, whereas floor plans are measured in square feet!
i hate that. every time i see metric on construction drawings or code books i'm like give it to me in imperial

i'm always just using google to convert for me

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #28
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
a potential risk could be problems with your insurance company or fire department if you have a house fire.

We had a fire at our rental property in Vancouver and were grilled by the fire department and insurance company about whether we had the proper licenses, things up to fire code, having a proper fire exit for the suites, etc. Everything we did was legal but talking to the adjustor, he told me some ppl have had trouble getting their claims approved due to having an unauthorized suite, not having things up to code, etc.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Wow, I did not know that the City of Burnaby DOES NOT ALLOW legal suites.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #30
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Not for rent anyways, you are ALLOWED to have an in-law suite, but you'll need to sign an affidavit stating that it is for a close relative or a nanny
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Seriously, keep that legal.

Years ago we went to check out a basement suite...now, I'm not a fan of the subterranean lifestyle at all, but we go and check it out. It was nice enough, but the guy was a douche.

Anyway, he's going on that he wants rent paid in cash...the whole thing just made me feel so far off the record that I was purely there to pay the mortgage. Yeah, I know, that's the point, but you don't need to throw it in my face.

My point here is, keep it legal. At 84 rental units(and counting!) here's a few things that are gonna help you out:

1. You'll get a dickhead tenant.

You want to feel jumpy every time there is a knock on the door? Cause you are going to have a dickhead. You are going to spend 6 months getting rid of him, and 5 minutes after you do, he's going to call the city.

2. You are going to have dickhead neighbors.

They are everywhere! They don't like you, or anyone for that matter. They'll call the city just for the entertainment. Your basement dwellers will be a nice target.

3. Bylaw enforcement officers are dickheads.

You seeing a trend here? Big floppy penis's abound man. They have shit jobs. A 'bust' is the highlight of their xmas party stories.

So..tenants, neighbors and the city are all against you. Too many bad guys for my taste.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #32
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
lol there's always anonymous whistle blowers. One hounded us for not having grass while the house was under construction

another time, we were making a house for ourselves to live us, and we (as the owners) went to the house with shovels to level the ground for the grass on a sunday ... someone called the cops for a noise complain how do you call a noise complain on 3 guys with shovels at 1pm on a sunday? Some people just love being dicks.

Back on topic, the way most vancouver special houses are made are upper floor is washroom/living room/kitchen/dining room/ bed rooms and two basement suites on the bottom (one smaller 1 bedroom/bath/kitchen and one larger 2 bedroom/bath/kitchen). Without this setup most people cannot afford the vancouver house they live in, renters pay off the mortgage and most people don't register their suites.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #33
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Does anyone know if windows are required on all bedrooms in a suite? Even if the suite is 100% below ground level?

These city bylaw documents are so difficult to interpret...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #34

I'm not sure if suites are allowed to be 100% below ground but yes, windows are required in every bedroom as far as I know
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #35
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

They are as a fire safety thing. You can count a windowless room as a "den" but not a bedroom IIRC.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #36

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
A bedroom by law needs to have:

A window (for emergency escape)
A closet (can be substituted for an armoire IIRC)
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #37

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
They are as a fire safety thing. You can count a windowless room as a "den" but not a bedroom IIRC.
A "den" can have a bed, right?

(Not looking for a serious answer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
A bedroom by law needs to have:

A window (for emergency escape)
A closet (can be substituted for an armoire IIRC)
Thanks, but the requirement for a closet makes no logical sense... it's just a "nice to have" thing!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #38

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Thanks, but the requirement for a closet makes no logical sense... it's just a "nice to have" thing!
Yeah.. Don't ask me why, but when I was in school it was a "MUST" (took Architectural Design) so yeah.. I think it's a "live-ability" thing.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #39

That's weird tho, Cuz I currently have an authorized secondary suite in the basement of my house and there are no closets on the approved plan for either bedroom in the suite
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #40
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

The closet thing might differ from city to city. Every city has their own criteria.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #41

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Got a letter in the mail from the city that I have an illegal suite and unless I have a city inspector come by there going to start charging me more for my garbage and what not through property taxes. I don't have a suite but I think this is awesome, apparently everyone on my block got one and 9/10 people do have suites.

At least the city is doing something right for once.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #42
Founder, RS Veteran

^ouch. That will be a shock to the neighbours renting out an unauthorized suite. But I wonder, how can that be enforced? The letter is presuming you are renting out. In your case, they were wrong. Does that mean they can still enter your house without a warrant just to verify?

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #43
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jACE View Post
^ouch. That will be a shock to the neighbours renting out an unauthorized suite. But I wonder, how can that be enforced? The letter is presuming you are renting out. In your case, they were wrong. Does that mean they can still enter your house without a warrant just to verify?
I believe he will have to call in and make an appointment for an inspector to come check it out. I believe the inspector comes in and checks to see if there is a stove present and the appropriate plug for the stove(there shouldn't be a stove or a plug if there is no basement suite being rented out; but all municipalities are different with their regulations) also he/she may go through the rooms in the basement to see if anyone other than the owner is living there.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #44

Ya pretty much. I have to make an appointment for them to view, if I don't I automatically get billed.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #45
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
The thing is so many people rent these so call illegal suites coz is cheaper and the rental market is in high demand now.

Just image just 20 to 25% of these illegal suites stops renting coz of the by law and another 20 to 25% starts charging more becasue they now have to pay for more tax etc etc........ A lot of people will have a tough time finding a place to rent.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #46
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
I've got a suite rented out to a couple who don't even have a car.

But across the street there are two houses side by side with 2 brothers who chose to live next to each other. So, both have tenants - tenants have 3 cars. Home owner has total of 6 cars. So yah, you guessed it - 5 cars parked on the street. At times in front of my home which pisses me off.

Anyways back to the suite rental, it definitely helps as a mortgage helper but Im selling next year and moving to a home with no suite....too much hassle at times.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #47
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Got a letter in the mail from the city that I have an illegal suite and unless I have a city inspector come by there going to start charging me more for my garbage and what not through property taxes. I don't have a suite but I think this is awesome, apparently everyone on my block got one and 9/10 people do have suites.

At least the city is doing something right for once.
I rent the lower half of my dad's place and he received that same letter then other week. Just a fricken hassle and extra money when you have the huge houses living in Surrey that have 6 suite's in them and they city does nothing.

It's just a cash grab so the goverment officals can get bigger bonuses I'm sure.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #48

Since you rent from your dad does he still have to pay higher tax suite or not? You're family, it's the same as if you lived at home, no?

I really don't have a problem with people who are renting out paying more they do use more services. Like the post a few up, the renters to my left have 6 cars and 8 people living there. Those 8 people use a lot more garbage and sewage then myself, wife and son do.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #49
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I rent the lower half of my dad's place and he received that same letter then other week. Just a fricken hassle and extra money when you have the huge houses living in Surrey that have 6 suite's in them and they city does nothing.

It's just a cash grab so the goverment officals can get bigger bonuses I'm sure.
6 suites? exaggeration much?
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #50
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Doucher View Post
6 suites? exaggeration much?
maybe he meant 6 families living in it

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee