REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

so what is it? the guy in the other car ran a red and hit you and you are at fault?

Am i missing something? I would've thought anyone running a red and hit would be at fault, why does even left turning be at fault?

I'm shocked to say the least, unless the other guy didn't run a red, and just went through a yellow, then i'd say OP is partly at fault. but 100% fault? no fucking way
Advertisement
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #27
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

y u confuse?

Sorry can't help it. But in all seriousness, would you mind sharing what happened, OP? Maybe one or two of us have gone through the same situation and are able to help out or give input. A close friend of mine is a personal injury lawyer, if you need to go that route.
Duff Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #28
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Sorry to sound like a broken record.. But if you didn't have collision, why is icbc taking your car and giving you money? Doesn't 'no collision' mean that the other drivers damages are covered, and you're on your own? (no payout, buy they also don't take your car?)
freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #29
G'd up! w000weee

^
I'm wondering this as well.
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #30
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Sorry to sound like a broken record.. But if you didn't have collision, why is icbc taking your car and giving you money? Doesn't 'no collision' mean that the other drivers damages are covered, and you're on your own? (no payout, buy they also don't take your car?)
Sounds like he's getting a payout for his injuries and not the car.

If you don't have Collision, isnt the car yours to keep as you please? Or does ICBC keep your car regardless if you have Collision or not?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #31
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Honestly you don't need a roll cage (that's just add more complications to your insurance).. you need a video camera (if it is true that the oncoming car had ran the red, that it will be recorded)

Perhaps some time off to figure out how the world works and a bit more maturity? Just because the world doesn't go your way doesn't mean you need to say you are "f'ed".. Putting expletives just inflames the situation.

In this situation, I suggest just take the cheque, that way at least you will be earning interest and you can get on with your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Next car is getting this.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #32
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
^
Was being sarcastic.

I only made the thread hoping someone with the same experience would chime in and help me figure out my options. Lawyer was being vague and pretty much told me it's not worth it. Or worth it for him. Who knows.

Im actually more pissed that I have a surcharge now.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #33
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

left turns is icbc best friend. Ive also been in 2 left turn accidents one where the guy ran a red light and hit me , thank god i had witnesses. And the other i was making a left turn , i was at 100 percent fault cause my one witness flaked out on me ... Overall ive learned ill stay in the intersection until its 100% clear , even if the lights red ill wait till i see those cars stop. Its not worth the surcharge nor is it fun getting T boned again. OP take what icbc gives you and learn from your mistakes !
MaGNuM16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #34
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaGNuM16 View Post
left turns is icbc best friend. Ive also been in 2 left turn accidents one where the guy ran a red light and hit me , thank god i had witnesses. And the other i was making a left turn , i was at 100 percent fault cause my one witness flaked out on me ... Overall ive learned ill stay in the intersection until its 100% clear , even if the lights red ill wait till i see those cars stop. Its not worth the surcharge nor is it fun getting T boned again. OP take what icbc gives you and learn from your mistakes !
Totally agree. Go ahead and honk. Especially when its yellow, I'm not assuming that this guy bearing down on me is not suddenly going to decide he's in a hurry.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #35
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
^
Was being sarcastic.

I only made the thread hoping someone with the same experience would chime in and help me figure out my options. Lawyer was being vague and pretty much told me it's not worth it. Or worth it for him. Who knows.

Im actually more pissed that I have a surcharge now.
After re-reading your original accident thread, you originally state it was a stale yellow and in this thread a stale red Did you also tell first responders/ICBC at first the other driver went through a yellow too? Add that to the fact that you were making a left turn I'm starting to think the truth leans more on the side of the other driver and ICBC. I could be wrong but that's how it seems here. In the original thread you said people waiting at the bus stop had to pull you out of the car, did none of them give witness statements? Where they for or against you, if they did I would guess they weren't in your favor and that's why ICBC ruled against you? So really,why so pissed/surprised you're getting a surcharge now?

You declined to get collision insurance to save a couple bucks, as other have stated it's right for ICBC not to give you anything for the car. So it's really now down to the injury claim and what you think you deserve for that and what ICBC thinks you do. Sounds like you don't have a great lawyer or one that doesn't think you have a good injury claim if you didn't keep injury logs/day books/doctor reports.

So really, are you angry/pissed at youself or ICBC.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #36
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
so what is it? the guy in the other car ran a red and hit you and you are at fault?

Am i missing something? I would've thought anyone running a red and hit would be at fault, why does even left turning be at fault?

I'm shocked to say the least, unless the other guy didn't run a red, and just went through a yellow, then i'd say OP is partly at fault. but 100% fault? no fucking way
It's obvious that you're turning left. But how do you prove that the other guy ran a red light?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #37
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It's obvious that you're turning left. But how do you prove that the other guy ran a red light?
Witnesses.

Either a red light ticket for the other driver, witnesses in the cars that stopped for the red light, or a certain Red RX8 with a dash cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #38
RS controls my life!

When my parents got into a left turn accident, the examiner said they look at where the collision occured on the car. If the front bumper of the left turn vehicle is hit, its likely that ICBC will put more than 50% responsibility on the left turn (if not 100%). If the rear bumper of the left turn vehicle is hit, the oncoming car carries some more fault.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #39
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

^they may consider that, but its not a final determination. The ultimate rule is the left-turner is 100% at fault without evidence. Even if they "applied" more fault to the oncoming car, all he/she has to do to get a reversal in the decision is challenge and escalate the claim with the manager. For these very reasons, I will never ever turn until I feel safe, even if the guy behind me is honking. Two lane streets are horrible in terms of visibility for turning when the opposing lane has a line of cars waiting to turn as well. For this reason, I prefer to turn on streets where they have an added turning lane or advance green.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #40
Hyde's Understudy

Isn't comprehensive another like $5 for the day?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #41
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
When my parents got into a left turn accident, the examiner said they look at where the collision occured on the car. If the front bumper of the left turn vehicle is hit, its likely that ICBC will put more than 50% responsibility on the left turn (if not 100%). If the rear bumper of the left turn vehicle is hit, the oncoming car carries some more fault.
OP's car's damage

Using that basis, it looks like it would be 50/50 fault. Sorry to hear about your loss/injuries David, but it looks like you're fucked.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #42
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
OP's car's damage

[img][/img]

Using that basis, it looks like it would be 50/50 fault. Sorry to hear about your loss/injuries David, but it looks like you're fucked.
There's very rarely a 50/50, unless you have a witness and prove he ran a Red. Left Turner is always at fault 100%.

I've gone through this before as well and was at fault. Like everybody else, I don't turn left unless I know 100%. I will wait all day.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #43
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
That "I'm killing it" sticker just screams I'm a tool.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #44
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
OP's car's damage

that'll buff right out
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #45
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
must refrain from the "I'm 'killing' it" joke
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #46
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I never even thought about that LOL. I guess since ICBC is paying him for the car and he does not have collision coverage they are offering to pay him salvage value ("pennies"). This could be the only reason I see them paying him for the car.

SpuGen, I guess if you're not happy with the amount they are offering you for the car then you can take it back and try to sell it for more or part it out.
YaKuZa_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #47
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarv View Post
is ICBC paying any of your medical bills? if so just keep telling them your in pain and stall. if they keep having to pay your medical for lets say 1-4 more years they will see that they are losing more money than if they were to give you a higher settling rate and be done with you. But that all depends on if they pay a monthly medical payment for you like physio or chiropractor, if they aren't paying I would try to get compensation for past visits(if any) and start going to something that costs them money a couple times a weeks from now on. if you do that with patience they will cave in with a higher offer. This advice was given to me by an old teacher of mine, so its not from my own experience.
Lying about injuries or the severity of injuries is fraud. A car accident isn't supposed to be a ticket to a big paycheck.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #48
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
^they may consider that, but its not a final determination. The ultimate rule is the left-turner is 100% at fault without evidence. Even if they "applied" more fault to the oncoming car, all he/she has to do to get a reversal in the decision is challenge and escalate the claim with the manager. For these very reasons, I will never ever turn until I feel safe, even if the guy behind me is honking. Two lane streets are horrible in terms of visibility for turning when the opposing lane has a line of cars waiting to turn as well. For this reason, I prefer to turn on streets where they have an added turning lane or advance green.
i totally agree with you, i ALWAYS make sure the oncoming cars have stopped.. don't give a damn about that person behind me.
DouMing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #49
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Lying about injuries or the severity of injuries is fraud. A car accident isn't supposed to be a ticket to a big paycheck.
In this case, it would seem his future body health is already in jeopardy. My friend's knee's are still not bending properly, it also hurts for him to sit at a 90o angle. Its been about year and a half now after his right frontal side collision also from a left turn.

My co-worker who had a straight on collision still has whiplash in his neck, his spinal injury is permanent (he has to sleep on spikes in order for the nerves to not pinch, as well as a flat wooden board + sleeping bag), as well as joint pains during season changes. Its been nearly 2 and a half years for this gentlemen, he still has to go under intense and painful physiotherapy every year or so for a week to lessen his symptoms, even then, not able to sleep properly ever is a slap in the face.

So yeah, thats probably why many people lie about what kind of pain they're experiencing after an accident in order to cash in.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #50
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Google Maps
Every on coming car stopped. I just got on the throttle and started to turn the wheel. He came flying in where cars are usually parked through the side behind the F250 in the map link. I ended up facing westbound 41st, just in front of the row of cars waiting to turn left. (Civic in the map link)

I'm not trying to cheat the system or milk anything. I was just surprised that I got fucked in the way I did. If you saw the damage pictures from the link posted above, motherfucker didn't even try to stop. He probably would've ended up t-boning someone else if he didn't hit me first.
1) Looking at the link in the pic, it seems like the intersection has pretty clear visibility. The street slopes upward, which would give you even clearer visibility of approaching vehicles.

2) Many people get into accidents making left-turns because left-turners think they have right of way or are forced to clear an intersection when the light turns yellow. Left turners are expected to yield to oncoming traffic so they are almost always found at fault. How is this unfair? Whether the traffic light is green, yellow or red is irrelevant to whether you should make a left turn. Once you are in the intersection, you can make a left turn only when the intersection is clear.

3) Once you are found in an at fault accident, your rates go up. How do you think ICBC pays for the damage/injuries you caused to the other vehicle?

Last edited by Marco911; 04-24-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote