REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Any longboarders here???

So me and a friend decided on taking up longboarding since the snowboarding seasons about to come to an end. We are total n00bs when it comes to this whole longboarding business. Any ppl on RS like us who are just starting out or ones that have been doing it for awhile? I'd love to get a little gathering going with any RS'ers with the same passion for the sport.
Advertisement
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
'
 
insomniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,657
Thanked 6,540 Times in 1,106 Posts
Haha i have nothing useful to contribute. I wanted to take up the sport for about two years now. Was super close in getting a board last year. Hope this thread will motivate me this summer
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Just grab one off of craigslist and join us.
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it
 
jello24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Suckass Surrey
Posts: 466
Thanked 80 Times in 29 Posts
oh sweet baby jesus it's a longboarding thread! I finally have an excuse to display my setup!

here's what I've been pushing the past two summers:

Landyachtz Switch all stock



Rayne Timeline/Abec11 ZigZags 70mm/Bennett 5.0's + Tracker RTS (Mods not pictured)



Hopefully this summer I'll be able to slide my Switch.

You guys should definitely do it. Really fun cruising, and really blood pumping when bombing.

Oh, and DON'T FORGET YOUR HELMET!
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello24 View Post
oh sweet baby jesus it's a longboarding thread! I finally have an excuse to display my setup!

here's what I've been pushing the past two summers:

Landyachtz Switch all stock



Rayne Timeline/Abec11 ZigZags 70mm/Bennett 5.0's + Tracker RTS (Mods not pictured)



Hopefully this summer I'll be able to slide my Switch.

You guys should definitely do it. Really fun cruising, and really blood pumping when bombing.

Oh, and DON'T FORGET YOUR HELMET!
NICE DECKS MAN!!

I'm riding a Landyachtz Switchblade on 84a 76mm Zombie Hawgs. Thinking of picking up a set of Abec11 Freerides, since I heard nothing but good things about them. Where do you usually ride? Me and my friend are planning to do some riding this Saturday afternoon. Hit me up a PM if you want to join us!

Oh and btw, how do you like the zigzags??
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
Rider
 
rexsomnii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Home
Posts: 1,574
Thanked 2,601 Times in 272 Posts
i'd want to try to ride one .. can i try yours celica ?

is it the same feels as skateboarding ?
__________________
<a href="http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=539933">My Feedback</a>
rexsomnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsomnii View Post
i'd want to try to ride one .. can i try yours celica ?

is it the same feels as skateboarding ?
Sure buddy! Me and Joe are going to longboard sometime around 2 ish this Saturday. Wanna join us? Plus I can grab my snowboard back.

Also about the feel of longboarding, I would say it feels more like surfing/snowboarding. Can't say much about skateboarding, as I have never done it.
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Bump!! Come on, there's gotta be some more longboarders on REVSCENE!!
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:29 AM   #9
LYC
I don't get it
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 439
Thanked 85 Times in 33 Posts
I use to longboard but its been a while. Its good fun when theres no surf and no snow.

I'm pretty sure I have a Landyachtz board somewhere in storage.
LYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYC View Post
I use to longboard but its been a while. Its good fun when theres no surf and no snow.

I'm pretty sure I have a Landyachtz board somewhere in storage.
Come out with us this Sunday, man! We're gonna do the seawall.
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
My new Long distance pushing setup as of yesterday.

Rayne Demonseed
Randal RII 180mm 50d trucks lowered an additional 1/4 inch with risers
Venom barrel/cone bushings
Otang 75mm 80A in heat wheels

This thing is so low that I have to crank my trucks right up. I was getting major railbite, but it is a dream for long distance pushing.


Last edited by celica-g5; 06-16-2012 at 01:26 PM.
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
LYC
I don't get it
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 439
Thanked 85 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica-g5 View Post
Come out with us this Sunday, man! We're gonna do the seawall.
Totally would if I was still in the country.
LYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
THEY HATE US CUZ THEY AIN'T US
 
exhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,103
Thanked 621 Times in 120 Posts
I do. I'm waiting for my new landyachtz board to arrive.
We should set up another RS longboard meet like the cypress snowboard meet we had awhile back.

Does anyone know where you buy sliding gloves locally?
__________________

For Sale:
-----------------------------------------
Buy/Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan
‎"girls are like parking spots, the good ones are always taken and the ones left over are handicapped."

Last edited by exhil; 06-16-2012 at 08:10 AM.
exhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYC View Post
Totally would if I was still in the country.
Aww, that sucks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhil View Post
I do. I'm waiting for my new landyachtz board to arrive.
We should set up another RS longboard meet like the cypress snowboard meet we had awhile back.

Does anyone know where you buy sliding gloves locally?
Hell yeeeeeah man! Which board did you end up getting? As for the gloves, you can get them at Landyachtz or Rayne locally, but I'd suggest to make your own. I made mine with regular leather gloves and cut up pieces from a chopping block. Saved me a ton of money.
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
THEY HATE US CUZ THEY AIN'T US
 
exhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,103
Thanked 621 Times in 120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica-g5 View Post
Aww, that sucks..



Hell yeeeeeah man! Which board did you end up getting? As for the gloves, you can get them at Landyachtz or Rayne locally, but I'd suggest to make your own. I made mine with regular leather gloves and cut up pieces from a chopping block. Saved me a ton of money.
Picking up the new landyachtz time machine.
And thanks for the tips! I shall DIY them.

Also, who can slide really well on longboard? I wanna learn to do that and I know I'll eventually crash lol
__________________

For Sale:
-----------------------------------------
Buy/Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan
‎"girls are like parking spots, the good ones are always taken and the ones left over are handicapped."

Last edited by exhil; 06-16-2012 at 05:03 PM.
exhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Oh!! The time machine. You are going to love it! I demo'd one at landyachtz, and it was sweet. You are going to have loads of fun with that board. As for sliding, I just got some of the hand slides dialed in, but still working on the standup slides.
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
THEY HATE US CUZ THEY AIN'T US
 
exhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,103
Thanked 621 Times in 120 Posts
That's good to hear. I'm actually new to the longboard scene. I started doing some research on brand products before purchasing.
Now I'm stoked to ride the new one.
Let's get some GoPro action shots!
exhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhil View Post
That's good to hear. I'm actually new to the longboard scene. I started doing some research on brand products before purchasing.
Now I'm stoked to ride the new one.
Let's get some GoPro action shots!
Hey, I'm only 2 months in myself, so we're all in the same boat. As for the Gopro shots, HELL YEAAAH! Let me know when you get your board. We usually ride on Sundays.
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
RS controls my life!
 
civicyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: yvr
Posts: 732
Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica-g5 View Post
Come out with us this Sunday, man! We're gonna do the seawall.
Always wanted to try this. How did it go sunday?

Oh, and where did you guys buy your gear?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
you seen my pie live!
straight up nasty right right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
Thats because you end up getting creepy pie like mine that makes you not want to eat it hha ...thats why its cheap ...
civicyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
The weather was too unpredictable on Sunday, so I called it off. I still ended up going with my gf though, and it was a blast as always. I like switchback longboards. They're located in Nanaimo, but if you spend over $25, its free shipping. There's always landyachtz and Rayne as well, which are 2 very reputable longboard companies in Vancouver.
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #21
RS controls my life!
 
civicyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: yvr
Posts: 732
Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica-g5 View Post
The weather was too unpredictable on Sunday, so I called it off. I still ended up going with my gf though, and it was a blast as always. I like switchback longboards. They're located in Nanaimo, but if you spend over $25, its free shipping. There's always landyachtz and Rayne as well, which are 2 very reputable longboard companies in Vancouver.
Yeah, the weather has been shitty so far. Haha.

Was going to grab any old one off CL but liking the drop decks so I can practice sliding easier. Prob ordering new now and making my own gloves. Still researching. Any tips/suggestions?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
you seen my pie live!
straight up nasty right right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
Thats because you end up getting creepy pie like mine that makes you not want to eat it hha ...thats why its cheap ...
civicyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #22
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
celica-g5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Burn-a-bee
Posts: 1,044
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
If you are planning to do more freeriding, then I'd suggest the Earthwing Supermodel. Earthwing makes awesome longboards and priced much more reasonable than a lot of the other big brands. I bought one off of switchback, and the deck only ran me about $115. You can always find used trucks and wheels on CL for like 1/2 the price. If you do take my advice and decide on the Supermodel, definitely consider pairing the deck up with Indy215 trucks, as the board was originally designed around them. Also, if you ever make a trip down to the Landyachtz store, they sell their previous year models at a 20% discount.
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #23
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
yogenfruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 881
Thanked 448 Times in 155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicyvr View Post
Yeah, the weather has been shitty so far. Haha.

Was going to grab any old one off CL but liking the drop decks so I can practice sliding easier. Prob ordering new now and making my own gloves. Still researching. Any tips/suggestions?
If you're looking for making your own gloves, a friend of mine cut up a plastic cutting board and glued/melting the pieces to the fingers of a pair of welding gloves. Sturdy, protect your hands, and pretty cheap if you can find second hand gloves.
__________________
PSN: gThorpe92
Quote:
Obviously, you're suffering wankers cramp.
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #24
THEY HATE US CUZ THEY AIN'T US
 
exhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,103
Thanked 621 Times in 120 Posts
Here's a good DIY sliding gloves video.

__________________

For Sale:
-----------------------------------------
Buy/Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan
‎"girls are like parking spots, the good ones are always taken and the ones left over are handicapped."
exhil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #25
THEY HATE US CUZ THEY AIN'T US
 
exhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,103
Thanked 621 Times in 120 Posts


My board came in yesterday.
So far, it rides good but I need to hit up downhill to break in those wheels. I need to get my sliding gloves and helmet first but can't find time.
__________________

For Sale:
-----------------------------------------
Buy/Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan
‎"girls are like parking spots, the good ones are always taken and the ones left over are handicapped."
exhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net