REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
CISPA ACT PASSED

so since SOPA didn't get through, here comes another one...wtf

Quote:
The US House of Representatives has passed a cyber-security bill amid a veto threat from President Barack Obama.

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (Cispa), would allow the government to access web users' private data on suspicion of a cyber threat.

It would also allow easier information-sharing between security agencies and private web firms.

Advocacy groups claim that it is aimed at file-sharers rather than hackers.

They also raised concerns about the transparency of the act.

Vetothreat

In a statement on Wednesday, the White House said Mr Obama would veto the act if it reached his desk.

The administration said the law repeals "important provisions of electronic surveillance law without instituting corresponding privacy, confidentiality and civil liberties safeguards".

The bill passed the House on Thursday by a margin of 248 votes to 168. Cyber-security legislation is also being considered in the US Senate, but its bill differs considerably from Cispa and is not yet scheduled for a vote.

Before its passage, the House amended the bill to cover information garnered for the investigation of cyber-security crimes, protection of individuals from death or serious bodily harm and the protection of minors from exploitation.

Privacy groups quickly condemned the bill's passage.

"As we've seen repeatedly, once the government gets expansive national security authorities, there's no going back," Michelle Richardson, of the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a statement.

"We encourage the Senate to let this horrible bill fade into obscurity."

Bill sponsor Mike Rodgers argued the bill would make the US "a little safer and our economy better protected from foreign cyber predators".

The House bill won support from tech industry figureheads whereas an earlier piece of legislation, the Stop Online Piracy Act (Sopa) failed after web firms lined up with activists to criticise it.

Facebook, AT&T, Intel, Verizon, and Microsoft were among some 800 firms who indicated they would back the latest bill.

Writing on Facebook's corporate blog a week ago the firm's vice-president of US public policy, Joel Kaplan, said Cispa "would impose no new obligations" on Facebook to share data with anyone.

It also "ensures that if we do share data about specific cyber threats, we are able to continue to safeguard our users' private information, just as we do today," he added.
BBC News - Cyber-security bill Cispa passes US House
Advertisement
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
In a statement on Wednesday, the White House said Mr Obama would veto the act if it reached his desk.
He said the same thing about the NDAA
surreyjack604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Obama has threatened to veto

Obama threatens to veto CISPA cybersecurity bill, citing privacy concerns - The Washington Post

She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
maybe its baked me, but this seems convenient for obama and a re-election later on.
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Oh no! Someone wants to do something to stop the rampant stealing of companies intellectual property! Quick! Form a drum circle!
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #6

so it begins

Old 04-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Oh no! Someone wants to do something to stop the rampant stealing of companies intellectual property! Quick! Form a drum circle!
We should form a circle. Can't imagine what it would be like in the future
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Next thing you know they will have laws allowing bbqing babies on the whitehouse lawn. I mean they only have to try it a couple times if it doesn`t get passed the first time.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
People wouldn't steal if they didn't have to jump thew a million hoops to legally get it.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

It's not just stealing intellectual property. If CISPA passes, government authorities can have access to whatever you store on the web without having to get a warrant, if they "feel" you may be a threat

Now if you were in the states, would you be willing to give up some of your constitutional rights or in our case some of your charter of rights?
vl_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vl_86 View Post
It's not just stealing intellectual property. If CISPA passes, government authorities can have access to whatever you store on the web without having to get a warrant, if they "feel" you may be a threat

Now if you were in the states, would you be willing to give up some of your constitutional rights or in our case some of your charter of rights?
So true.... This is no different than SOPA.
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vl_86 View Post

Only reason these 'rights' even exist is to make people think they have them.
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
Only reason these 'rights' even exist is to make people think they have them.
But if we start standing up for our rights instead of just brushing them aside then we will eventually have them
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #14

2012 revolution