REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #26
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
What brand is that? MaxKeyboard? Sorry I couldn't really read from the photo

Did you buy it locally? How much? That looks pretty cool, and looks like it has all the features I want.
I ordered on their site last Sat, it's by Max Keyboard, Nighthawk X8. They had a 20% off event which I think is on for a few more days. It was 144.99 plus 10 for a few custom lit keys, minus the discount, and around 34 shipping to Vancouver.
Advertisement
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #27
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I'm thinking about getting the BlackWidow for $60
Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard at Memory Express

But I'm worried that it might be too loud for my liking since they are blue switches. Where can I get the dampening/rubber o rings?

Thanks!
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
I STILL don't get it

Cherry MX Rubber O-Ring Switch Dampeners (125pcs) - Keyboard Accessories - Products

You can get them there, but they won't help too much with the blackwidow. They'll muffle the noise from bottoming out but the Blue switches are clicky/loud by nature of the switch. If you think you'll have an issue with the noise the blackwidow stealth sold on the razer site, or a different board with browns/reds/blacks would be a better bet.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #29
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Ducky 9008S

Ducky DK-9008 Shine Mechanical Keyboard - Glow in the Dark Duck - geekhack forums

Was going to get this one for my PC, but bought a gaming laptop instead to replace both my gaming PC and work laptop. From what I remember, you had a choice of different glows (blue, white, red, green) and different switches (blue, red, brown). Definitely worth taking a look.

There's a gigantic thread over at overclock.net if you need more information.
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I recommend the Razor Black Widow Ultimate and it was an amazing keyboard as long as you don't mind the noise of course.
ChaSuiBow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post

But I'm worried that it might be too loud for my liking since they are blue switches. Where can I get the dampening/rubber o rings?

Thanks!
I'm currently using the Blackwidow Ultimate and I don't find it too loud, I actually enjoy the clicking. Unless your house is dead quiet you probably wont find it too obnoxious
Glaedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #32
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Just thought I bump the thread with some relevant information:

For those of you looking for a cherry brown keyboard, NCIX is selling the CoolerMaster Storm Quickfire PRO keyboard for $90. (note this is not the tenkeyless one. this is the full keyboard)

As I've always wanted a brown switch keyboard (or at least, I thought I did after using black, red, and blue), I bit given that the next cheapest brown I found was the Rosewill on newegg.ca for 110+shipping.

As for the switches- it's definitely a typer's switch. Wonderful feedback, not too loud, however it takes a bit of an adjustment to type on it, especially coming from a membrane-laden ergo 4000.

Between black and brown, I like them both. Blacks are definitely a gaming switch for me (hard to double tap on the browns), and I'll be using this CM keyboard at work where I work at a software company. It's a lot less noise than the blues, but almost a stiffer click. Not IBM stiff, but it's a nice firm response.

(I'm going to be totally honest- I wrote this mini-review to try/test out the mx browns)
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #33
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post

Thanks!
Just got it today. LOL it feels pretty nice typing on it but it is a bit loud( I will get use to it thought). I was using the Razer Lycosa which is nice coz of the rubber feel.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #34
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Steelseries 6GV2, most durable, basic, mechanical keyboard, I love it. I don't like the razor/CM/Avio/Corsair mechanical keyboards, they all have a very flimsy construction around the actual keyboard itself.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #35
Who's naughty? I___i

Filco or Ducky, either one will be better than Steelseries. NCIX is getting stock end of June or something and RedFlag has a group buy going so if you are looking for a mech kb you might want to join the GB.
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #36
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
i got the widow (regular) a few days ago and i'm loving it, i tried the red, brown, and blue switches, but i personally like the blue ones the best.

if i was willing to spend more money on a keyboard, i would've gotten the ducky or das, read a lot of good things about them
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #37
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc95 View Post
i got the widow (regular) a few days ago and i'm loving it, i tried the red, brown, and blue switches, but i personally like the blue ones the best.

if i was willing to spend more money on a keyboard, i would've gotten the ducky or das, read a lot of good things about them
Lol I brought my widow to work to tease my co-workers(since he already complain how loud I type on a regular keyboard). His face literally turn red when he heard me start typing on the window
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #38
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts

i love the sound of it
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #39
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cillu View Post
Ducky 9008S

Ducky DK-9008 Shine Mechanical Keyboard - Glow in the Dark Duck - geekhack forums

Was going to get this one for my PC, but bought a gaming laptop instead to replace both my gaming PC and work laptop. From what I remember, you had a choice of different glows (blue, white, red, green) and different switches (blue, red, brown). Definitely worth taking a look.

There's a gigantic thread over at overclock.net if you need more information.
I'm thinking about picking this up or the CM Quickfire Pro (brown switches). They're about the same price.

I don't think I could go wrong with either, but would anyone recommend one over the other?
ZenZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #40
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
I'm considering a

Mionix Zibal 60

Filco Majestouch 2

Daskeyboard Model S Pro Silent

I was considering the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth as well but I read that you're paying a premium for the name and other keyboards priced alike are made with better materials so I kind of nixed that from the list

They're all CherryMX Brown except for the Mionix Zibal which is Black

Any recommendations/considerations?

Thanks
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #41
I am Hook'd on RS

I would suggest a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, it is highly overpriced but it looks cool,does the job and pisses off anyone in a 50m radius.
Vancouver_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #42
I don't get it

I just got a blackwidow ultimate dragon age 2 since it was on sale for $90 at NCIX. I'm upgrading from a logitech G110, and the main gripe I have with this particular iteration of the Blackwidow is the fact that the drivers don't work properly for it. It doesn't detect my keyboard. I don't know if its my particular keyboard or every single one but I have contacted razer.

Another problem I have is the spacing of the keys. They are a bit more narrow than the other keyboards I've used in the past. Also, the F1-F12 keys are moved over to the right so on a normal keyboard, when you alt + f4, on the BW, you end up hitting F3.

Finally, Blackwidows don't come with palm rests, so if you're used to typing on a palm rest, be sure to invest in one from staples or somewhere
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #43
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I'm using the BW, got it like a month ago. I'm loving this thing. I agree it does take a while to get use to if you are coming from a normal keyboard. But after i pass that "lets get to know more about each other part". I'm loving this more and more. I have no problems with the driver, got all my macro set up. I have the ultimate edition.
striderblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #44

ended up getting the Mionix Zibal 60 it's awesome
Old 06-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #45
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^ hope your keys don't end up like this

striderblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #46
I STILL don't get it

^Wow, wore the paint right off haha. Stylin, how is the Zibal? I passed on it because of the black keys, but never really tried it either.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by striderblade View Post
^ hope your keys don't end up like this

I've read about the paint wearing off issue for some people but all people seem to complain about that regardless of which kb they're using

most people say they haven't had issues so we'll see i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuHua View Post
^Wow, wore the paint right off haha. Stylin, how is the Zibal? I passed on it because of the black keys, but never really tried it either.
Well I've never had a mechanical kb so I can't really compare it with anything

I wanted to get one of the brown key options but i've read people saying they have a problem with double tapping when gaming using brown keys

the Zibal so far has been working great i guess but Ive only had it for 1 day really

unit feels really solid
Old 06-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I'm considering a

Mionix Zibal 60

Filco Majestouch 2

Daskeyboard Model S Pro Silent

I was considering the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth as well but I read that you're paying a premium for the name and other keyboards priced alike are made with better materials so I kind of nixed that from the list

They're all CherryMX Brown except for the Mionix Zibal which is Black

Any recommendations/considerations?

Thanks
one buddy has the Daskeyboard, its great except for the fact that its really bulky
and its also glossy, so it gets greasy

and if ur looking at Filco, here is a cheaper way to get ur hands on one
Newegg.com - Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000BR with Cherry MX Brown Switch
Rosewill is Newegg's inhouse brand. In this case, its just a rebranded Filco

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #49
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Anyone try a Unicomp keyboard. They were the original manufactures of the famous IBM model M keyboards.

Unicomp, Inc.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
one buddy has the Daskeyboard, its great except for the fact that its really bulky
and its also glossy, so it gets greasy

and if ur looking at Filco, here is a cheaper way to get ur hands on one
Newegg.com - Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000BR with Cherry MX Brown Switch
Rosewill is Newegg's inhouse brand. In this case, its just a rebranded Filco
thanks for that

yeah i noticed the Mionix that I went with is supposedly the same as the Thermaltake Meka G1 but I went with the Mionix anyways for the backlighting

I also read that DasKey/Mionix/etc are supposedly all made from the same factory can't remember the name starts with a 'C'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Anyone try a Unicomp keyboard. They were the original manufactures of the famous IBM model M keyboards.

Unicomp, Inc.
in my scouring the internet I read that they simply bought the patent from IBM