REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Pointing out RS vendors who have expensive products

Is it a good idea?

I'm thankful for this forum and I know how important RS sponsors are. But it boggles my mind when some sponsors post products with super high prices with the claim of quality and service. I don't want to shit on any of the sponsors threads, but it's is it ok to point out there are much more reasonable options elsewhere? This might educate the sponsor and anyone who views the offering.

To the people who only read the first post and FAIL:

Alright. Question answered

My point want not to start a campaign, but to raise awareness that a lower price (quality & service unknown - upto the buyer to research) could be/is available. Kind of like Shell on Main & 2nd is having free gas compared to shell on Main & 5th is at 140.9

Nonetheless, my question has been answered.
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by tiger_handheld; 05-11-2012 at 01:35 PM.
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
No. Now Fuck off.

Actually.... go riiiiight ahead. See what happens

Berz out.

Last edited by Berzerker; 05-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

Well, expensive is a relative term. In the vendor's perspective they are charging the customers on what they believe is the proper price for their service. If you find their prices unreasonable, you can simply disregard their ads. I don't think you need to start a campaign against them.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
They can post what ever fuck price they want and it's your choice to buy it or not.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I don't find any of the sponsors prices unreasonable, certain members of Revscene are just cheap fucks who are unwilling to pay for quality work or parts.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

My point want not to start a campaign, but to raise awareness that a lower price (quality & service unknown - upto the buyer to research) could be/is available. Kind of like Shell on Main & 2nd is having free gas compared to shell on Main & 5th is at 140.9

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I don't find any of the sponsors prices unreasonable, certain members of Revscene are just cheap fucks who are unwilling to pay for quality work or parts.
u mean 90%+ of rs'ers

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
I think you're free to let the sponsors know of other deals you've found and let them be the judge, but you don't have to post it as a new thread.

I could start a thread for every single sponsor, and post links of how chinadude123 has a better price on ebay, but that wouldn't really go anywhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

Last edited by freakshow; 05-11-2012 at 01:42 PM.
freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
RS sponsor price on head lights: $175 + local support

eBay price - $130 + $20 shipping + tax + duty + time to drive to pick it up and maybe drop another $60 on supposedly cheap American gas

Yeah. I got better things to do.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

It's not really appropriate. They keep pay fees to advertise in RS. Why would you want to shit on them?

If you find deals elsewhere. You may share it. But don't make this a redflagdeals.

I understand it's a competitive market. The sponsors can take their marketing money elsewhere too.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Support our sponsers which pay for the site so we have shit to post and look at while working and at school. Fuck Ebay too much of a hassle like bcrdukes said.

If you are wondering about the pricing stop being a lazy ass and search for the best pricing your self. Thats personally one of my favorite things when buying someone ...
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
If you are wondering about the pricing stop being a lazy ass and search for the best pricing your self. Thats personally one of my favorite things when buying someone ...
Tell me about it.. I HATE getting a bad price when I buy someone.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
I'm single gotta do what I gotta do
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,552 Times in 1,155 Posts
I tried to buy someone...they wouldn't let me =(
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I think you're free to let the sponsors know of other deals you've found and let them be the judge, but you don't have to post it as a new thread.

I could start a thread for every single sponsor, and post links of how chinadude123 has a better price on ebay, but that wouldn't really go anywhere..
I wasn't going to start a new thread or "HOT DEAL's" thread but rather post in the same thread the sponsor started. Also, I wasn't going to compare to buying on ebay or w/e. Wanted to post local deals or all inclusive rates for south of the border deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
I understand it's a competitive market. The sponsors can take their marketing money elsewhere too.
Exactly why I started this thread.

Seems my original post was unclear.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Tell me about it.. I HATE getting a bad price when I buy someone.

I'm on sale this weekend. RS special for Saturday only. PM for details.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'm on sale this weekend. RS special for Saturday only. PM for details.
More than you can afford pal......
Spoiler!

Berz out.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Yes, you can probably whatever you are looking for cheaper off the internet.

Tuning shops (good ones anyway) will often be able to offer the same product with a bit of a higher price, but give you a break on labor, or help you with servicing the item. If you found a lower price from another Shop, talk to the local store about it and see what they can offer. They may not meet the price, but they may be able to offer other service incentives.

I’d much rather pay a few bucks more and know that I just have to walk into a local place if I have issues, or can call up the shop to have some help with setup, whatever. Supporting the guy selling products on the internet out of his mother’s basement for next to no profit because he has no overhead is having a really negative impact on this industry.

Support local shops, buy real shit. The people who build and sell these parts have to eat too. If they aren’t making any money, they aren’t going to be making parts for your ride for long.

Edit: I realize this is a bit of a rant, but hey, I dont post often. Gotten get the rants in when I can.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
u mean 90%+ of rs'ers
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

There are not plentiful shops offering performance parts in the GVRD at prices significantly lower than the sponsors on RS.

There may be shops offering cheap labour rates, but comparing a ghetto shop with questionable ethics and poorly skilled mechanics to any of the sponsors is completely stupid.

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-11-2012 at 03:37 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Dude, you can't compare with buying stuff online.

Example:

I paid $30 for rear Meyle rotors for my 7.

Cheapest here in Vancouver would be $110.

Things in Canada are expensive, get over it. Want a deal? Buy online. Want convenience and service? Buy local. It's pretty cut and dry to me.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

getting back to op's original question - no i dont think these opinions should be voiced. if forbes magazine has an advertisement for rolex watches, its readers may think theyre shit, but out of interest of keeping the sponsor happy forbeswould not publish an article of a reader dissing rolex. at the same time if most of forbes readers thought this, they would not allow rolex to be an advertiser and replace them with someone more tied to their demographic.

so are the sponsors tied to the demographic here? yes. do majorlity of rs'ers have a sognificant issue with them? probably not. so should we be allowed to publically ceitique them? i dont think thats fair. recommendations of local places where u had good experiences are a way to spread knowlege of good bargains without havin to badmouth any sponsors.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Outstanding thread, thanks all for joining. I'll visit often.

bookfire1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
RS admin's needs - sponsorship that supports the server and admin cost
RS members' needs - exclusive member deals

I totally support RS to inviting sponsors that offer exceptional products and services. That will keep the entire forum running, but members on RS do not find any exclusive benefits here. To be honest, other than the buy&sell forums, over the past 10 years, I have not yet find any monetary benefits or real discount offers as being a member of RS.

I am surprised RS has not been approached by companies that are willing to offer discounts or freebies, like many other forums have been offering downloadable coupons, local group discount, discount insurance, at least give out some free or paid STICKERS!
asian_XL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #24
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
RS admin's needs - sponsorship that supports the server and admin cost
RS members' needs - exclusive member deals

I totally support RS to inviting sponsors that offer exceptional products and services. That will keep the entire forum running, but members on RS do not find any exclusive benefits here. To be honest, other than the buy&sell forums, over the past 10 years, I have not yet find any monetary benefits or real discount offers as being a member of RS.

I am surprised RS has not been approached by companies that are willing to offer discounts or freebies, like many other forums have been offering downloadable coupons, local group discount, discount insurance, at least give out some free or paid STICKERS!

Interesting point. I'm part of BCMazda3 and their premium members ($10/year) get some monetary benefits at some sponsors (ie. Langley Mazda). This however, was not my point.

Example.

Vendor ABC posts LED lights (example only) for $220(example only) incl. install. I might've gotten the identical if not 98% similar LED lights from another LOCAL source for $120 installed. That is almost $100 difference.

All I wanted to do was, let the vendor know that "Hey, there are other LOCAL sources that are selling this product for $120" Then it's upto them to PM me and find out the source (kind of like price matching) OR ignore it all together. I much rather support an RS sponsor if I can than go outside. At least this way, I have given the sponsor a chance to earn my business.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #25
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
it is RS afterall, per say, if a dealer/ sponsor here offered TOTAL/ Motul synthetic oil changes for 79.99 plus tax for 4 litres and filter....

majority of RS users would be like might as well DIY at home, and save probably $20.

it is a car board afterall, we do share infos on DIY's.... most RS users would probably buy parts and do it themselves. most of us dont have an infinite budget on car modding to begin with... so we buy used parts; thats were the used parts section really comes into play. saving a couple bucks here and there on lightly used parts could probably get you a couple more parts. sometimes, 10-20 bucks here and there really adds up! not to mention, most private deals (besides buying an actual car) is tax-free, cash deals... which is another bonus. heck, if you're really modding on a budget, used parts are the way to go (well besides, brake pads and wear and tear stuff.. some used tires are ok, depends.)

only time ive seen a vendor do well is when they do the "at cost + 10%" deals...

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote