REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Witness needed: Rupert St and 22nd ave. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667946-witness-needed-rupert-st-22nd-ave.html)

rexsomnii 05-13-2012 06:22 PM

Witness needed: Rupert St and 22nd ave.

I was involved in an accident today on May 13th 2012 at 5:05pm

I was driving my moms Toyota Camry 2002 with my parents inside.
I was heading northbound on a stale green. I was approximately 3 meters away from the intersection while still going 50km/h. It was too late to stop for the yellow light that turned .. so I decided to go for it. Then all a sudden thre other car..

2012 Kia sorento. Silver in color.
Decided to turn left on a yellow.

Bam I hit him.

He received minimal damage while I took most of it.
Left headlight smashed. Quarter panel is bent at the front. Bumper needs to be replace. Hopefully the frame is okay.

But here's the thing.

I ran out to see if I can get any witnesses while my mom grabs their information.
No one was there to see it but I came accross a Hindu lady and she said I ran a red when it was still a yellow.
I just wonder if that has any effect on how this will go.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance

mb_ 05-13-2012 06:28 PM

Knowing ICBC, Kia driver will be found at fault which is usually the case in left turn accidents

KO7 05-13-2012 06:29 PM

Best of luck to you, I hate that intersection. With Chong Lee market and Golden Oscar restaurant, it's an absolute mess sometimes. Did you need to swerve around a car turning left going Northbound as well? Or was the Sorento able to see you the whole way?

duy- 05-13-2012 06:34 PM

Usually im use to hearing it from the other person (kia's) point of view and i usually tell them they're fucked unless they can find a witness. fortunately you're on the other end that icbc usually sides with and on top of that you have a witness that claims you didnt run a red. i think you're good unless he can come up with some witnesses that say otherwise

GoneGuru 05-13-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duy- (Post 7917530)
Usually im use to hearing it from the other person (kia's) point of view and i usually tell them they're fucked unless they can find a witness. fortunately you're on the other end that icbc usually sides with and on top of that you have a witness that claims you didnt run a red. i think you're good unless he can come up with some witnesses that say otherwise

Witness in OP's statement says that OP ran a red, which might actually screw him over and put the fault on him in ICBC's eyes.

Chronix 05-13-2012 06:46 PM

why were you going over 60 anyways? GG. hate the fucking idiots who tried to run a late yellow.

jtanner_ 05-13-2012 07:15 PM

^ 2 km over..? Lol

duy- 05-13-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneGuru (Post 7917536)
Witness in OP's statement says that OP ran a red, which might actually screw him over and put the fault on him in ICBC's eyes.

oh i read it wrong, yeah you're fucked. dont use her as a witness lol. i hope that the guy in the kia didnt get her name and number

racerman88 05-13-2012 07:30 PM

The person making the left is responsible for making sure it is safe to proceed. They will be found at least the majority at fault

Gnomes 05-13-2012 07:30 PM

ICBC will likely say both at fault

Yc 05-13-2012 08:40 PM

^not true

if witness are presented indicating the person ran a red, then the left turner will not be at fault

kkttsang 05-13-2012 08:56 PM

i had this recently but mine was a yellow, and the left turner was found 100% at fault.
And like mentioned above the left turner has to make sure its clear before turning. And from where you damage is on the car sounds like he was the one that was starting the turn. i think kia is 100% even with the red light i think he will be 75% and your 25%. just my 2 cents

sebTeggy 05-13-2012 09:12 PM

Where in the driving book does it say 'YELLOW light means people making left turns get the right of way', Because I think I missed that part, where did everyone else read it?

This should be 150% the fault of the person turning, even at a yellow. I hope ICBC doesn't split it. Oh and edit your post. If anyone finds you say you were doing over 50, you will get screwed. (Vancouver speed limits if you are from surrey btw)

TjAlmeida 05-13-2012 09:41 PM

im guessing their fault, with where you described the damage is on your car it sounds like the kia probably thought you were stopping and proceded and hit you as you entered the intersection. I dont think view is obstructed that much for north bound traffic for the kia to not see you at all.

Good luck and I hope icbc is in your favor.

Redlines_Daily 05-13-2012 11:01 PM

if you ran a yellow, the left turner will be at fault. If the light was red when you entered the intersection then you will be at fault. When I say "at fault" I mean from ICBC's perspective. In reality, you are both at fault for causing the accident. The turner should have made 100% certain the intersection was clear, but you should have been more aware of the situation too. If you are approaching a stale green then you should adjust your speed accordingly so that you can stop if the light changes (and it did). I always glance at the pedestrian walk sign when approaching an intersection, if the orange hand is blinking then you know the light will change soon. Defensive driving, people.

lgman 05-13-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexsomnii (Post 7917515)
a Hindu lady...

Wonder what would happen if you start counting these in pain sight..

http://p.twimg.com/ApvyRjcCQAAwPon.jpg:lawl:

Jokes.
Jokes.

Did you try calling the owners of Rupert Fish market I'm sure they've seen their share of accidents on that corner.

guesswho 05-13-2012 11:20 PM

^ they closed down

rexsomnii 05-13-2012 11:34 PM

Thanks for all your inputs. To make the yellow.. even with my parents in the car. Mom was beside me yelling wtf is that guy doing just turning as I was entering the intersection.
Do I get a chance to submit my pictures and skid marks of the the intersection?

How does icbc draw this to the end. I know they got a Hindu lady as a witness but I feel that she might lie just to fuck me over because I look like a young asian driver. I'm 22 . :(

kakucaekz 05-13-2012 11:49 PM

Shit, I live right on that corner. Well, not really, but I can see the intersection from my house. It's a pretty crappy intersection. Didn't hear anything at about 5 though, and I was outside in the backyard working on my lip too =\

rexsomnii 05-14-2012 12:12 AM

I dunno what to do now. I'm just worried icbc will take the other partys side because of the witness. If there's any way to find witness on my part. I was travelling from 41st and Clarendon .. chill driving all the way to this intersection.. there was a slight hill going downwards .

AzNightmare 05-14-2012 12:21 AM

Good luck. don't use that lady as testimony if it doesn't benefit you. Don't say you were speeding above 50.
It's immediate red flag if you admit to that. Did the other driver talk to the Indian woman as well?

And from my personal experience...
I find icbc unreliable when trying to piece an accident together just by looking at car damages...
So good luck.

rexsomnii 05-14-2012 12:26 AM

Yeah the hindu lady talked to the other driver. So should i just say i was driving in the 55's then ?

Ill post up damages right now. I just got home from a long ass day

mb_ 05-14-2012 12:28 AM

If I were you I wouldn't even bring up the speed. If they asked I'd say I was going the speed limit according to the speedometer to have less chances of being fucked over.

rexsomnii 05-14-2012 12:36 AM

Fuck ... i gave the statement to ICBC already.. I said i was going 58. Is that over for me now :(

rexsomnii 05-14-2012 12:40 AM

Flickr: GerardLe's Photostream

My damage :(